Options

[Fallout] Remember when we said no NPC's or Companions in West Virginia ? Never mind.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Like "invade" is a very sensationalist word to use here.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Yeah there’s a ton of games friends can jump in on. Maybe talk to friends about not being a dick?

But really a toggle for invited friends only would be nice too.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    A lot of the hatred and outrage seems to be from people that never even played the game before, so it's hard to empathize with them. Personally, I'm just glad they haven't made Wastelanders paid DLC or any of the other content. I actually like that they delayed Wastelanders to polish it more. As much as I'd like unlimited storage space, it isn't worth the money to me so not getting it. So I mean, as a casual Fallout 76 player, this doesn't really have a huge impact on me?

But it's still fun to hate on stuff online, I get it. Double points when it's Bethesda

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

Does that stash box have hundreds of little feet underneath it

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Fired up New Vegas last night just to sate me until Outer Worlds releases tonight.

I love New Vegas, but what an unstable buggy mess. With the most minimal of mods (NVSE and MTUI) I got four crashes going through Goodspring. Two out of memories and two hard freezes. Had to install the 4GB patcher to stop the out of memories (how in the hell are you running out of memory with just MTUI?).

I was finally able to play for 30 minutes last night after installing the NV anti-crash and NV anti-stutter plugins for NVSE. I was also able to get the high res texture packs installed and stable. Beyond that I dare not touch it.

e: In reference to the Fo76 rage: In general I am so beyond BIG TYPE HEADLINE INTERNET ANGER when it comes to this stuff. Gaming culture has swung so far in the direction of being angry about every thing that I just can't get behind the rage anymore. Unless it's something like the Blizzard Honk Kong situation, where actual real life rights are being trampled, I just can't be bothered at this point. Most of the people screaming about Bethesda screwing people aren't even playing Fo76 and possibly never did. Outrage and offense on behalf of others has become one of my biggest pet peeves.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I own FO76 and found it to be a total disappointment. Am I allowed to participate, or are only true FO76 believers permitted to talk?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I own FO76 and found it to be a total disappointment. Am I allowed to participate, or are only true FO76 believers permitted to talk?

If that's in reference to my comment, I'm not talking about anyone here. I'm talking specifically about the internet rage machine that churns up around these events.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Is there no way to not allow people to join or to set an invisible mode?

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    Is there no way to not allow people to join or to set an invisible mode?

It seems like having no one on your friends list would work. I don't have any on mine but I'm sure as shit not going to spend $13 a month to try it.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Pixie is happy with FO76 and is having enough fun with it for it to be worth a further $100 investment on her part. Let's not attack her because she's enjoying it.

Pixie, I hope you can acknowledge that FO76 was a buggy, broken mess at release, and that Bethesda has broken their word on major promises like "cosmetic only cash shop". And that other things they claimed were impossible, like unlimited storage space, are now behind a paywall.

Personally, I put about 100 hours into FO76 and was a day 1 buyer. I don't regret the time I spent in the game, as I had fun. But at the same time, I recognize that the product that was delivered was seriously flawed and did not live up to my expectations.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Pixie is happy with FO76 and is having enough fun with it for it to be worth a further $100 investment on her part.

A further $12.99 actually. :lol: I only subbed for one month. I never know what I'll want to play next month. But throwing some pocket change at them for some extra benefits felt okay to me.
    Pixie, I hope you can acknowledge that FO76 was a buggy, broken mess at release, and that Bethesda has broken their word on major promises like "cosmetic only cash shop". And that other things they claimed were impossible, like unlimited storage space, are now behind a paywall.

Buggy, yes. Broken, no. Broken to me means unplayable, and I had this on day one and it was never unplayable for me. I've never had crashes or showstoppers. I've had quests flake out and scorched get weird and odd shit like that is all.

The cash shop is cosmetic only, isn't it? There's no pay to win in there anywhere that I can recall. I guess there's repair kits but repairing is trivial anyway, and the repair kits are inferior to the ones you can get in game.

And I'm still not gonna be fussed that you have to pay for unlimited storage. I can not think of a single MMO (or equivalent) game that gives you free unlimited storage space. Maybe some do... I just can't name any. I know I pay $15/mo for the same privilege in ESO.

Personally, I put about 100 hours into FO76 and was a day 1 buyer. I don't regret the time I spent in the game, as I had fun. But at the same time, I recognize that the product that was delivered was seriously flawed and did not live up to my expectations.

Different people have different expectations. It's unfortunate that this didn't meet yours (and many others). I'd much rather that it had been a booming success from day 1, if only so I could thumb my nose at the doubters. :lol:

For me, it was pretty much exactly what I expected it to be, and I've gotten far more than my money's worth of entertainment out of it. I've also played and loved every Bethesda title since Daggerfall, so I'm kind of immune to bother over the bugginess of their games.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Trust me,

I have no desire to put someone down for enjoying a game. Attack a game company? Yes. Attack a person for liking a game? No.

I want Pixie and everyone else that plays games to have fun playing games because we play games to have fun and that's an important thing for all of us to want for each other. But I think Bethesda needs to be slapped with a cold fish.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Like "invade" is a very sensationalist word to use here.

I think it's very illustrative of people's concerns and what they want and do NOT want out of a "multi-player experience".

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I paid £60 for FO76. I was sorely disappointed. Haven't played since release week. I moved on to other, better games in my backlog.

What do I think about these latest developments in the FO76 'saga'? I'm not even angry. I just can't stop myself from laughing at the blatant, utterly shameless level of greed on display here.
    I'm more sad that Bethesda's exec's think this is the right direction for the company (the faux-MMO 'all-of-the money-we-can-squeeze' GaaS model).

I enjoyed Fallout 4 immensely (100's hours playing; and watching others play) and I'm glad we at least have that to go back to and look upon fondly. Ah well. *Sighs wistfully*

Really looking forward to The Outer Worlds tomorrow. Hopefully it will have good enough sales numbers for Todd Howard & Co to pause for a moment of reflection. Hopefully.
    Not just for me but for the 1000's of other players who love their prior titles. I have Elder Scrolls and Fallout lore burned into my subconscious.

And if you enjoy FO76? More power too you! You've managed to find some fun there that I could not. :)

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I paid £60 for FO76. I was sorely disappointed. Haven't played since release week. I moved on to other, better games in my backlog.

What do I think about these latest developments in the FO76 'saga'? I'm not even angry. I just can't stop myself from laughing at the blatant, utterly shameless level of greed on display here.
    I'm more sad that Bethesda's exec's think this is the right direction for the company (the faux-MMO 'all-of-the money-we-can-squeeze' GaaS model).

I enjoyed Fallout 4 immensely (100's hours playing; and watching others play) and I'm glad we at least have that to go back to and look upon fondly. Ah well. *Sighs wistfully*

Really looking forward to The Outer Worlds tomorrow. Hopefully it will have good enough sales numbers for Todd Howard & Co to pause for a moment of reflection. Hopefully.
    Not just for me but for the 1000's of other players who love their prior titles. I have Elder Scrolls and Fallout lore burned into my subconscious.

And if you enjoy FO76? More power too you! You've managed to find some fun there that I could not. :)

FWIW, The Outer Worlds is today. And I'll be right there, too, playing it at 7pm when it unlocks. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I still think the fundamental idea of "Fallout that you can play with your friends" sounds like an amazing idea.

I just don't think Fallout 76 is that game.

When I think "Fallout that I can play with my friends" I think "Fallout 4, only with co-operative multiplayer."

I definitely do not think "Faux-MMO with a heavy PVP focus and nuke each other into oblivion."

• Options
    Zavian wrote: »
    A lot of the hatred and outrage seems to be from people that never even played the game before, so it's hard to empathize with them. Personally, I'm just glad they haven't made Wastelanders paid DLC or any of the other content. I actually like that they delayed Wastelanders to polish it more. As much as I'd like unlimited storage space, it isn't worth the money to me so not getting it. So I mean, as a casual Fallout 76 player, this doesn't really have a huge impact on me?

But it's still fun to hate on stuff online, I get it. Double points when it's Bethesda

I don’t mind delaying wastelanders or whatever, but again this makes it feel like an early access game.
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I still think the fundamental idea of "Fallout that you can play with your friends" sounds like an amazing idea.

I just don't think Fallout 76 is that game.

When I think "Fallout that I can play with my friends" I think "Fallout 4, only with co-operative multiplayer."

I definitely do not think "Faux-MMO with a heavy PVP focus and nuke each other into oblivion."

Again I think the big thing was a lack of direction. 76 could have been that coop game without even much changes if they hadn’t leaned into the Conan/Ark survival stuff and spent more time on a storyline and the like, but they didn’t actually lean into the conan/ark survival stuff hard enough to be competitive on that ground either.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I think leaning into the Conan / Ark stuff was great, the setting was pretty good, it's just...the actual execution that is uh sucky. Sure, offer hosted servers and charge a reasonable amount for them...but let players host their own and do their own thing. I happily bought all of Conan's DLC and sank a few hundred hours into it. Fallout 76 could have been the same or moreso.

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    I think leaning into the Conan / Ark stuff was great, the setting was pretty good, it's just...the actual execution that is uh sucky. Sure, offer hosted servers and charge a reasonable amount for them...but let players host their own and do their own thing. I happily bought all of Conan's DLC and sank a few hundred hours into it. Fallout 76 could have been the same or moreso.

Yeah, persistent worlds and hosted servers is mainly where I feel it falls short. You can’t really do that much meaningful basebuilding, especially in a group setting, when everything you build just poofs out when you log out..

• Options
    Played some Outer Worlds tonight and now it's clear why B tried this when t hey did.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    it appears bethesda were too slow in securing the appropriate domain name. An angry fan beat them and well the result is glorious: falloutfirst.com

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Fired up New Vegas last night just to sate me until Outer Worlds releases tonight.

I love New Vegas, but what an unstable buggy mess. With the most minimal of mods (NVSE and MTUI) I got four crashes going through Goodspring. Two out of memories and two hard freezes. Had to install the 4GB patcher to stop the out of memories (how in the hell are you running out of memory with just MTUI?).

I was finally able to play for 30 minutes last night after installing the NV anti-crash and NV anti-stutter plugins for NVSE. I was also able to get the high res texture packs installed and stable. Beyond that I dare not touch it.

e: In reference to the Fo76 rage: In general I am so beyond BIG TYPE HEADLINE INTERNET ANGER when it comes to this stuff. Gaming culture has swung so far in the direction of being angry about every thing that I just can't get behind the rage anymore. Unless it's something like the Blizzard Honk Kong situation, where actual real life rights are being trampled, I just can't be bothered at this point. Most of the people screaming about Bethesda screwing people aren't even playing Fo76 and possibly never did. Outrage and offense on behalf of others has become one of my biggest pet peeves.

Its probably a bit too late for this to be relevant, but reddit has some good guides for modding for stability here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FalloutMods/comments/c74byn/the_new_fallout_network_fallout_new_vegas_modding/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

Apparently there are some things like installing to the program files directory or forgetting to run the 4gb patch in administrator mode that can hose your stability. I reinstalled from scratch with their guide, but didn’t get to play much because outer worlds.

I just did the nvse and engine parts of the mod guide part, as I didn’t really feel the need to mess with the default graphics.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    evilthecat wrote: »
    it appears bethesda were too slow in securing the appropriate domain name. An angry fan beat them and well the result is glorious: falloutfirst.com

"fan"

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Ain't no one holds a grudge longer than someone who likes a thing and feels betrayed by the people who made it. No one who just didn't ever like the game would have gone to that much trouble.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Ain't no one holds a grudge longer than someone who likes a thing and feels betrayed by the people who made it. No one who just didn't ever like the game would have gone to that much trouble.

Agreed. Passion turned to vitriol is the kind of thing that leaves a grudge for years. Even decades.

Hell, I've been there myself. I used to be a fan of a particular RPG company, and owned almost everything they'd ever printed. They later went to Kickstarter for a miniatures game based on an anime series I also loved as a kid, so that was huge, went in and dropped a giant pile of cash alongside 2 other friends that did the same.

It was an utter shitshow. They delivered less than 1/3 of the various figures offered (mostly the chaff/bulk units, imagine getting a chess board with Pawns, knights, and one Bishop; you have a lot of figures, but it's not nearly the full game), and after half a decade of giving backers the runaround, officially lost the license and declared themselves unable to continue, out of resources and just oh so sorry.

I won't go out of my way to shit on their Facebook wall or forums, but to this day I will happily explain, in detail, how they fucked over thousands of backers to the tune of 1.5 million dollars, with shitty figures (imagine a 1.5 inch tall figure that has over two dozen parts to clip, trim, and glue, now imagine you need dozens of these things to play a game!), flagrant lies to backers, and no real sense of repentance.

Fandom is a powerful and even dangerous force. Would Fallout 76 have inspired nearly the same ire if it wasn't in any way tied to Fallout? If it was just "Generic Post-Apocalyptic Survival Game"? No. But it also wouldn't have had the same draw on an existing fanbase either. Sure, there'd be overlap, but the studio capitalized on the name/brand, and when that falls short (as an opinion of many, but obviously not everyone), there are... consequences.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are assholes everywhere. You can have smooth sailing from design to release and some asshole will take issue with something small and stupid all the same. But I don't think that's the case here. In crime drama terms, this kind of thing 'feels personal'.

People shouldn't be assholes, no arguing that. But companies/brands capitalizing on existing fanbases should also respect that they're not just getting sheep with wallets. If shit goes sideways, well, ongoing clusterfucks like this can happen.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Honestly, at this point I'm kind of surprised there are this many people still carrying water for FO76 and Bethesda, given how every time I look at gameplay of it I'm reminded more of early access games then something that would be released by a multi million dollar AAA studio that's been making games for decades.

Sure the game has moved on from when this video was released
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjyeCdd-dl8

But the fact remains people should have been intensely wary of the promises of better content in return for more money which it appears that it has gone backwards on; your storage box goes from being able to carry equipment to effectively deleting it, the "private servers" have neither access controls nor permanence nor do they appear to even be fresh for people, and the much covetted ranger armor actually looks worse then what modders assembled years ago for FO4. This is the kind of shit that should have been bug reported immediately by a QA team that gave a single fuck.

Like if you're still enjoying this then god bless (Lord know's I have an odd taste in games in my own right), but I honestly don't see how people can still defend this company given the combination of sloth and avarice that drives their development.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I mean, I enjoyed FO76 a lot, but I didn't get it first weekend, so...

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I have over 80 mods installed on New Vegas. I won't say it never crashes, but across maybe a week of gameplay, I'll get one, and not lose much if any progress.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

I guess it was different strokes for different folks. I played with a bunch of friends at launch. We explored the early areas of the game together, when we were weak as hell and needed to watch each other's backs. That was really cool.

We ventured through the map, captured workshops, helped each other get better gear, crafted weapons and armor for each other, and did a lot of events. That was really cool.

We got to the point where we could go through the missile silos, get to the launch computer, complete the final event and enter the codes. I remember being on voice chat, reading out the code, with my friend repeating each in sequence as she entered it. Then we got to the surface in time to see an actual nuclear missile launch. That was cool as fuck.

We ran together as a group, across a scorched landscape, towards a giant mushroom cloud, entering a radioactive hellstorm to fight a giant mutant dragon bat. That was really cool.

We did that for a bit, eventually got bored, and stopped playing. It's just a video game. That's what happens.

FO76 promised a multiplayer Fallout experience, and at least for me, it delivered.

$60 well spent.

Thanks for the memories.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I splurged and got Fallout 1st. I love having the scrapbox to dump my junk in without worrying about micromanaging space. The new Halloween event is pretty fun and chaotic, also pretty fast and easy to beat with other players. You get an extra reward for wearing a costume. Also, I got some sweet Atomic Shop pretty base dressup stuff and made my place all spoopy:
    https://youtu.be/vUDFMDab1KY

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm going to start Fallout 4 on PS4 again

How do I use mods on PS4? Which ones are actually good?

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I'm going to start Fallout 4 on PS4 again

How do I use mods on PS4? Which ones are actually good?

Mods are easy to use out of the box. It will lock out the save from earning any trophies though. Can't really point you towards any of the good ones since I just used them to have unlimited money.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    So apparently there is now an exploit that allows someone to steal your entire inventory off your character. Bethesda released a statement saying it only affected a small number of players, but this would suggest otherwise:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xehnhq38EHk

Probably not a good idea to log in until this is fixed.

Edit: another video about the hack itself

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m7NVUrge_O0

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    *watches a few videos about it*
    oh man, this is bad.

Bethesda!
    *laughtrack*

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Yeah, I had fun when I played 76, but this is a complete shitshow. It’s possible to lose Atomic Shop items this way.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    The amount of fearmongering still going on in FO76 is unbelievable. Can we actually be respectful of the people still playing this by verifying stuff before posting?

mO3bMlb.png

• Options
    yaaaaay

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    The amount of fearmongering still going on in FO76 is unbelievable. Can we actually be respectful of the people still playing this by verifying stuff before posting?

mO3bMlb.png

sorry next time i'll check to be uh, respectful of the peoples of FO76

• Options
    Bethesda has pissed away all of their respect and credibility here, and as a result I'm entirely prepared to accept/assume that a decent hacker can run arbitrary code on their half quarter-assed implementation of their creaking single-player engine as a multi-player game.