Options

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    All cutscenes are skippable.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Doom was a game where the dudes face was front and center for the entire game, so I'm not put off by there being third person views of stuff, especially if it's to show off wacky shit like
    The Doomguy loading himself into a fucking BFG and firing himself into a building.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Yeah at first it worried me, but the more I think about it the more it works. Also they’ve said basically aside from being skippable most cutscenes are short, like under a minute.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Doom was a game where the dudes face was front and center for the entire game, so I'm not put off by there being third person views of stuff, especially if it's to show off wacky shit like
    The Doomguy loading himself into a fucking BFG and firing himself into a building.
    Doomguy saw John Masterchief jumping through a Covenant battleship with a bomb and was like "hold my shotgun."

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    IGN has the first ten minutes up, its a far less cinematic looking game than the other trailers lead you to believe. They have a few take-control moments but its peppered between you doing you most of the time. The tutorials seem more obtrusive than anything cinematic.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Considering the odd board room sequence with the robot guy in the first game, I’m more than okay with some third person storytelling sequences. I trust their decision-making.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    If it means more close up shots and angles of badass character and demon models I’m all for it. I love the quick little intros every time you fight a new demon from the first game

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I would not at all mind some spots that let me appreciate the incredibly detailed models they put together, because it's pretty dang hard to properly see them when you're shredding through them in a whirlwind of spines and bullets.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I was weak an watched teh first ten minutes
    Holy cow, they just drop you right in, don't they? I figured they would have you work up to the hub area and getting back on earth. I wonder if "How the Doomguy got to this point" will be shown off at all during the campaign, or if it'll be the focus of the DLC.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Holy cow, they just drop you right in, don't they? I figured they would have you work up to the hub area and getting back on earth. I wonder if "How the Doomguy got to this point" will be shown off at all during the campaign, or if it'll be the focus of the DLC.
    *Record scratch*
    VEGA: You may be wondering how the Doomslayer got here...

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Donnicton wrote: »
    *Record scratch*
    VEGA: You may be wondering how the Doomslayer got here...
    The details on the DLC are light but they focus on different characters and take place between the two games, at least according to the descriptions I read ages ago.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    I’ve watched the 1st 10 minutes video a couple of times now...

And based on the extremely limited sample, Mick Gordon just absolutely kicks ass. I’m as excited for the soundtrack as I am for the game.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Whoever complained about there not being enough enemies at once in Doom 2016, they certainly fixed that with the key challenges in Eternal. That thing is relentless and I can't wait to see people speedrun it.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
  • Options

Can't wait for the story behind the Slayer-Slayer.

Doomguy, but Evil? I think we’re done.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Beat Doom 64 (specifically the Retribution mod for GZDoom) and this thing is just such a delightful little oddity. I think we all know OF Doom 64, a version of Doom released on the Nintendo 64, but not a port but basically a whole new game.

What I didn't realize is how much of a Doom game it was, and granted this might have been because I was playing a source port, but it feels like Doom as Doom, right down to the double barrel shotgun being GOD. I didn't realize that despite being all new art and levels, it's still running on a (heavily upgraded) Doom engine. There's some stuff in here that wouldn't look out of place in something like Quake, it's actually rather impressive.

As for the game itself, it acquits itself well, but it's not quite up to the level of Doom 1/2 IMO. The levels just don't feel quite as good, it's missing several monsters (and the only new non-boss monster, the Nightmare Imp, is pretty meh.) and the puzzle design wasn't quite to my liking. I like how Demons "fade" in rather than teleport in, makes for some more harrowing ambushes. They also key a lot more stuff onto demons dying (doors opening, items appearing) which is a nice, if obvious, evolution of the earlier doom games. The biggest departure was the addition of a new weapon, the Unmaker, which on its own is alright, but you can collect keys from the secret levels to upgrade it at which point even with just one key it becomes kinda stupid and with all 3 its one of the more ridiculous weapons I've seen in a shooter. Like, melts Cyberdemons kind of stupid, it's incredible. It's so stupid that it makes the plasma rifle, and even the BFG, kinda useless in comparison. (Which is why I suspect they're INCREDIBLY stingy with the cell ammo, which the unmaker uses). I'm probably going to replay the last level because it made the final boss a joke, even on the hardest difficulty. Granted you have to 1. Find the secret levels and 2. Find the hidden keys in each level to upgrade it full, but good lord. Curious if it'll make an appearance in Eternal.

My biggest issues are the texture design, specifically how the buttons tend to blend into the walls, and some of the audio. The former human soldier's growls from Doom 1/2 are now the generic "on the prowl" noise for enemies now and it's kinda disorienting.

Game was shorter than expected. Apparently levels 25-27 are fun gimmick maps only accessible from the menu and you jump straight from level 24 to level 28. Weird. The ending is interesting, especially in regards to the Unified Doom Theory
    The marine, who is the same guy from Doom 1/2, decides to stay in hell to make sure the demons can't mount another assault. I could see him, over time, establishing the night sentinels, getting imbued by the serephim and finally getting his demonic armor and becoming the Slayer of legend. Provided time in the real world loops while it just keeps going in hell.

Makes me curious if that's why they're releasing it on the PC for the first time.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Doom 64 definitely leaned more into more weird, more obscure puzzling than the PC games for good and ill. I stopped playing way long ago due to some puzzle I could not for the life of me suss out. But It's definitely an interesting take on the Doom formula though, and a surprisingly atmospheric game too, 75% of it from its eerie, droning soundtrack which is less like music more than they are unsettling soundscapes that digs into the back of your skull (actually reminds me a lot of Quake 1's music in that regard). Personally, I also really liked the redesigned sprites too.

You could legitimately put it as kind of the lost Doom 3 over the actual Doom 3 we got.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    It’s Doom 3 in all but name, being a sequel to Doom 2 while Doom 3 is actually an attempted series reboot that shouldn’t have been called ‘3’.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Went up there today!

It was a blast!

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Was in a Doom mood so I decided to grab a replacement copy of Masters of Doom, which I had read in my.. early 20's maybe? And remember liking.

Back of the book was a bit of a warning sign
    Masters of Doom is the amazing true story of the Lenon and McCartney of videogames: John Carmack and John Romero.

And I'm like, mmm, maybe take it down a notch? But it's just the copy made by a marketer somewhere, right?

Page-fucking-TWO of the introduction
    As a result, <FPS games> have spawned their own unique outlaw community, a high-stakes, high tech mecca for skilled and driven young gamers. In this world, no gamers were more skilled and driven than the co-creators of Doom and Quake, John Carmack and John Romero...

There are things I enjoyed in my youth that I'm embarrassed by now. This is the first time I actively want to slap the shit out of my younger self for having bad taste.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Don't look away. This is who you are.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    How can you face the demons of Hell if you can't face your own?!

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Playing up how good the developers are ate playing video games as opposed to making them is some "tighten up the graphics on level 3" shit.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Pre-purchased Doom Eternal yesterday. First game I've pre-purchased since Doom 2016, and probably the only one I'll pre-purchase until the next one. March can't come fast enough.

Also looking forward to giving Doom 64 a shot since I never played it!

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Pre-purchased Doom Eternal yesterday. First game I've pre-purchased since Doom 2016, and probably the only one I'll pre-purchase until the next one. March can't come fast enough.

Also looking forward to giving Doom 64 a shot since I never played it!

sltlica07710.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I respect Doom 64’s weird, under appreciated and underrated nature. I haven’t touched it in ages but I seem to recall it has true bridges and working conveyer belts. And the intro will always be badass.

That said, I’ll always prefer a pixelated Doom over a blurry Doom, the new sprites are only new and not better (and started the path of making the nightmares transparent instead of the much cooler staticky look of original Doom) and did the unthinkable of removing the shotgun reload animation.

EDIT: Yikes, be careful looking into Doom lore online, Doom Eternal stuff is somehow already all over the places in wikis and whatnot.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Wait, Doom Eternal and Half-Life Alyx are both releasing within 30 days of each other? Deja vu.

ajoqv182j05t.gif

emnmnme on
  • Options
    That comic is weird because with the exception of physics, Doom 3 did do all of that better than Half Life 2. HL2 was just a better game.

Which is amusing because difference is this time the roles are reversed. Half Life Alyx is pushing new tech and trying to get by on atmosphere while Doom Eternal is just trying to be a fun game.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Wait, Doom Eternal and Half-Life Alyx are both releasing within 30 days of each other? Deja vu.

ajoqv182j05t.gif

Is this reminding us about the doom/hl2 release or why most webcomics died?

• Options
    I'm currently replaying Doom in anticipation of Eternal, and man, I guess I kind of forgot just how good the combat is in this game. It's all the more striking to me how few games have come out since then that come anywhere close to nailing the frenetic and visceral feel of how Doom plays. It also still looks and runs incredible. Even if Eternal was simply a level pack for the first game and nothing else, it would be my most anticipated game of the year. Can't wait to see what it can deliver.

I have been taking my time a little more through this play-through, and one thing I sort of forgot about from the level after the Argent Tower, when you teleport to Hell the first time:
    One of the Rune Lore things mentions that the Doom Slayer's strength and speed were directly bestowed on him by the Seraphim. I haven't read any spoilers for Eternal (only officially released trailers), so this is pure speculation, but I get the impression that "Heaven" doesn't have any particular loyalty to Doomguy, but simply used him as a tool to route the forces of Hell who were quickly becoming a problem for them. "Enemy of my enemy" kind of thing.

My speculation based on nothing is that Heaven and Hell need to be in some kind of balance, and when Hell started become too powerful, the Seraphim noticed the Doom Slayer causing trouble and decided to leverage his blood lust to help even the scales. However, when he turned out to be a little too good at his job, Heaven had a Gob "I've mad a huge mistake" moment and assisted Hell in eventually trapping him in the sarcophagus. I'm hoping Eternal will explore the ramifications of both sides trying to reign him in (and failing miserably).

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I preordered Doom Eternal (on Steam) and it says it comes with Doom 64 but I'm not sure where to go to get it. Do I need to wait?

urahonky on
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    I preordered Doom Eternal (on Steam) and it says it comes with Doom 64 but I'm not sure where to go to get it. Do I need to wait?

It'll be released alongside Doom Eternal, sadly. They should just drop it now and let people play through it while they wait.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    My favorite line of Doom 2016 is when Samuel Hayden says "They won't give up the crucible without a fight. Heh. But that's what you want, isn't it?" or something to that effect. There's something monstrous about Doomguy.

• Options
    "So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again."

"They are rage, brutal, without mercy. But you. You will be worse. Rip and tear, until it is done."

• Options
    My favourite was when Hayden tells you where the other argent source powerful enough to create a portal is - in the cyberdemon. ‘You’re going to have to remove it’.

• Options
    "So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again."

"They are rage, brutal, without mercy. But you. You will be worse. Rip and tear, until it is done."

I still want to know who that damn narrator is. Like, not the voice actor, but what role they play in Doom’s lore. I have my suspicions, but hope they reveal it officially in Eternal.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »

I still want to know who that damn narrator is. Like, not the voice actor, but what role they play in Doom’s lore. I have my suspicions, but hope they reveal it officially in Eternal.

It's time traveling old doom guy, clearly. OBviously, at this point he's missing all his limbs from too much demon fighting, so he's developed a beard and excellent voice and now he simply talks demons to death inbetween narrating his younger self's advnetures in the second person.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Crippl3 on