As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    There are plenty of Firestarters in the post 1.9 campaign I started?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

Guess its RNG being RNG then. Thanks for the confirmation, it would've been weird bug (but then, they did have that ABC bug at one time...).

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    My campaign is at the point where I've utterly trivialized the game due to having 2(!) Atlas IIs and a pair of Marauders, all of them kitted out with enough LosTech and +++ gear to melt the head off any assault stupid enough to poke above the ridgeline.

Unfair?

Yes.

Fun?

Also, yes.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    My campaign is at the point where I've utterly trivialized the game due to having 2(!) Atlas IIs and a pair of Marauders, all of them kitted out with enough LosTech and +++ gear to melt the head off any assault stupid enough to poke above the ridgeline.

Unfair?

Yes.

Fun?

Also, yes.

I felt a chunk of this as I got into the endgame of my campaign. After all of the scraping, struggling, and duct-taping shit together just to get by in the early to mid-game, having that time near the end where you can just brutalize the OpFor at a whim is satisfying.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Mirkel wrote: »

Guess its RNG being RNG then. Thanks for the confirmation, it would've been weird bug (but then, they did have that ABC bug at one time...).

The career I started pre 1.9 after doing a campaign runthrough so I could start over had a dearth of firestarters as well. I think I came across 2 in like 400 days? The first was roughly at day 200 too I think

Ranlin on
  • Options
    Ranlin wrote: »
    Mirkel wrote: »

The career I started pre 1.9 after doing a campaign runthrough so I could start over had a dearth of firestarters as well. I think I came across 2 in like 400 days? The first was roughly at day 200 too I think

I'm just going to do Yang's Big Score to get one at this point. A bit scary to do 2.5 skull stuff with 130 ton lance but as long as I can keep moving they don't hit me much. My worst enemy is mountains, though - those elevation accuracy bonuses can really ruin my day.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Russ dropped a comment in the NGNG stream that their Mechwarrior license was renewed for 5 more years.

He also apparently stated that while they still aren't sure what they're going to do with MWO, at this point they're keeping the servers on.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Russ dropped a comment in the NGNG stream that their Mechwarrior license was renewed for 5 more years.

He also apparently stated that while they still aren't sure what they're going to do with MWO, at this point they're keeping the servers on.

Nice that they are going to keep the MWO servers alive. Not really surprised they got the license renewed since they dropped MW5 before the end of the year. Wonder what they plan on doing with it for the 5 years.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Btw, it is hilarious to stick a UAC/10 on a Blackjack. That ancestral Blackjack now hits like a truck, even though it has no right to.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Clearly not talking MW5, where the Blackjack sees an enemy and drops its arms in fright.

• Options
    Sorry, Battletech.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Last week I started a career in BattleTech for the very first time and I completed like, 3 systems worth of contracts, and in this early game I am somehow running short on Medium Lasers (both in my inventory and in the fucking marketplace), of all things

What the actual fucking shit

• Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »

So pretty much the same state of affairs as 2015?

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Last week I started a career in BattleTech for the very first time and I completed like, 3 systems worth of contracts, and in this early game I am somehow running short on Medium Lasers (both in my inventory and in the fucking marketplace), of all things

Early on? Yeah, that shit happens now that they've added the store tags.

Sidenote: the MAD-2R Royal Marauder is actually (IMO) inferior to the regular Marauder for headshots!

MAD-2R:

* 42.5 tons of free space
    * 1 ballistic slot
    * 6 energy slots
    * 1 support slot

MAD-3R:

* 3 ballistic slots
    * 4 energy slots
    * 2 support slots

The extra 60 heat dissipated is great, but trading 2 ballistic slots for 2 energy slots and losing one support slot means...well...guess I spent 18 million credits for 6 double heatsinks. Not the worst trade in the world, but still disappointing when I went to outfit it. Oh well!

Edit: Unless I can find enough Large Pulse Laser +++s to make up the difference. So far I have exactly one.

Edit edit: ER PPCs can do the same job at the cost of 45 heat per shot so...I guess? I need to start hitting LosTech tagged planets.

Orca on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

You have to find stores in specifically tagged systems that stock lasers now. I ran into the same thing in my current career.

• Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »

You have to find stores in specifically tagged systems that stock lasers now. I ran into the same thing in my current career.

I hit this too on my most recently started campaign. I kind of enjoyed it, actually. MLs are so bog standard in so many builds, that not having them encouraged some creativity and builds I definitely hadn't tried before. A few months in and you're swimming in MLs from salvage, so it's short lived. But it was a fun anomaly.

Relatedly, I will often take small lasers as salvage picks early on in a campaign or career. They add so much value if your mech is going to be brawling at all. You don't start with any and you can't count on stores to have them, so I'll often take it as a pick, even over a mech piece (assuming it's not a mech that would be an upgrade for my lance at that point.)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    Those ECM Cataprachts are mean business. Did Headhunting (3.5 skull FP) with my 130 ton lance and the first mission was 7 heavies and 1 medium in one big murder-clump and in the middle was one of these guys, making it impossible to fire at them unless I was in wrestling distance. Got really interesting until I managed to thin the herd a bit.

Second mission wasn't much easier. It didn't used to be that hard but with the buffs to lostech damage, a Marauder giving everybody damage reduction and I'm fairly sure the Thunderbolt she pilots has been editted to be more beefy it took some swearing at the screen to get it done. Last few times I've done the mission she never crosses the ridge, just sort of walks around there and waits for you but now she rushed into the fray. Killed 2 heavies and a medium, then she appeared and the other supporting lance started getting close. It rained LRMs and distant PPC fire while I'm trying to chew through her 1300 armor and 46% damage reduction. Once I finally got her (by pilot damage) I said screw it, I'm not going to fight a Catapult, a Marauder and whatever else is hiding in the fog of war with my band of lightweight cripples. Booked it to evac as fast as a Firestarter can go and just punched the big red button with my Urbie sniper, nobody's got the patience for trying to get one of those to evac.

Only lost a SL++ and some easy to repair mech parts, not bad when fighting 3-4x your tonnage. Not really buying the "Light mechs are immortal OP gods" some people on reddit claim but they can get the job done if you have the patience and tactics for it.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular

Sidenote: the MAD-2R Royal Marauder is actually (IMO) inferior to the regular Marauder for headshots!

MAD-2R:

* 1 ballistic slot
    * 6 energy slots
    * 1 support slot

MAD-3R:

* 3 ballistic slots
    * 4 energy slots
    * 2 support slots

The extra 60 heat dissipated is great, but trading 2 ballistic slots for 2 energy slots and losing one support slot means...well...guess I spent 18 million credits for 6 double heatsinks. Not the worst trade in the world, but still disappointing when I went to outfit it. Oh well!

Edit: Unless I can find enough Large Pulse Laser +++s to make up the difference. So far I have exactly one.

Edit edit: ER PPCs can do the same job at the cost of 45 heat per shot so...I guess? I need to start hitting LosTech tagged planets.

I can only speak from my own experience, but my MAD-3R has been an unstoppable engine of dome destruction. I’ve barely touched the default loadout, too. The ER PPCs hit so hard that you basically only need to connect with 2 weapons to destroy a head.

A low-key great headcapper has been the SLDF Phoenix Hawk. You jump and the energy weapon bonus it gets pushes the ER PPC into one-shot territory.

• Options
    I’ve made the -2R work for me by pairing 2 ER PPC++ (5 and 10 dam) with a Gauss Rifle. Targets without damage reduction have a 78%*0.95 chance of being downed in one salvo out to absurd ranges.

Feelsgoodman

• Options
    And of course my other Marauder is the death build detailed above. At this point it’s rare I core a mech out. Most opposition gets decapitated and I walk away with all the salvage :evil:

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    It's funny, once you've got several mechs able to headshot all the nerds you come across you suddenly have to be careful again if you want any actual salvage, otherwise it'll be 300 items long and you'll end up with your picks + a bunch of heatsinks.

• Options
    Ranlin wrote: »
    It's funny, once you've got several mechs able to headshot all the nerds you come across you suddenly have to be careful again if you want any actual salvage, otherwise it'll be 300 items long and you'll end up with your picks + a bunch of heatsinks.

I feel like the salvage algorithm was changed in 1.8 and that it's biased toward mech parts and away from heatsinks, jump jets, and ammunition. It was very noticeable how few heatsinks I got with 1.8 compared to previous versions when there was a huge stack of salvage.

• Options
    MWO: Oosik Night is planned for tonight. Warm up those mechs and hopefully the RNG will be kind to us tonight. Otherwise pull out those Urbies or Light of choice to go out in a blaze of glory.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular

MAD-2R:

* 1 ballistic slot
    * 6 energy slots
    * 1 support slot

MAD-3R:

* 3 ballistic slots
    * 4 energy slots
    * 2 support slots

There's a mod for that.

Gives the 2R another ballistic slot so it has two.

• Options
    MWO: Starting Oosik Night a bit early. @Erlkönig

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDR_Zpb05uk
    There's a new Tex Talks Battletech out and it's picking up after the Amaris Civil War, covering the Exodus and the formation of the Clans!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I quite like the solution BEXCE has for the heatsink/jj spam, which is to group them into packs of 8+ on the salvage list.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Trundling forward in my new campaign, I just graverobbed.

Holy cats having Star League era mechs sink 60 heat for free instead of 30 is BONKERS. (I mean, of course it is. But it feels even dirtier than it sounds. I don't think you can overheat the Griffin, even jumping max distance and alphaing every turn.)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    Yeah, being able to unleash the fury of multiple ER PPCs and Large Pulse Lasers without becoming a sleepy mech is wonderful.

• Options
    The...
    ...Star League Highlander you get from that mission...

...is similarly bonkers. I took four double heat sinks out of it and it was still sinking more heat than it could generate. I don't mean I swapped double heat sinks for regular. I mean I just pulled 4 double heat sinks - 24 heat per turn - out.

It was bad enough for the OpFor when I rolled through with my Atlas / Annihilator / Marauder / Marauder lance, and 2-3 pilots with coolant venting and 9 tactics. Upgrading one of those Marauders for the reward mech from that mission is just filthy.

This campaign is playing like a Monty Haul campaign (even without black market access)... and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I quite like the solution BEXCE has for the heatsink/jj spam, which is to group them into packs of 8+ on the salvage list.

That's actually a separate mod called Loot Magnet. And it can also screw you over real good because it also includes a mechanism for contested salvage. That is, your employer may come back at the end of a mission to "renegotiate" your contract and poach valuable salvage you've chosen.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    The...
    ...Star League Highlander you get from that mission...

...is similarly bonkers. I took four double heat sinks out of it and it was still sinking more heat than it could generate. I don't mean I swapped double heat sinks for regular. I mean I just pulled 4 double heat sinks - 24 heat per turn - out.

It was bad enough for the OpFor when I rolled through with my Atlas / Annihilator / Marauder / Marauder lance, and 2-3 pilots with coolant venting and 9 tactics. Upgrading one of those Marauders for the reward mech from that mission is just filthy.

This campaign is playing like a Monty Haul campaign (even without black market access)... and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

I keep them in, because with them in you can use that Highlander even in high-heat biomes with little downtime.

In normal or low-heat biomes this baby can hold an entire flank by itself against anything under 80 tons with a pilot with enough Gunnery and Tactics to be able to target and take out the Center Torso easily.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    Bethryn wrote: »

That's actually a separate mod called Loot Magnet. And it can also screw you over real good because it also includes a mechanism for contested salvage. That is, your employer may come back at the end of a mission to "renegotiate" your contract and poach valuable salvage you've chosen.

As far as I've seen there's no way they can enforce it if you don't let them, so the worst that can happen is loss of some reputation.

• Options
    MWO:

//COMM SYSTEMS ONLINE//
    Sensors detect activity in the vicinity of Talisker IV.
    Operation Oosik Night preparing for jump.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    @Betsuni I'll be online for it!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Betsuni I'll be online for it!

Cool. Maybe we can snag @Erlkönig and @Elvenshae to do some 2 v 2 S7 or synch drops tonight.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    @Erlkönig @Elvenshae

Join TOG and I for Oosik Night!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Love to, but I'm still working at the moment, unfortunately.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Love to, but I'm still working at the moment, unfortunately.

Bummer.

Well @TOGSolid and I tried some sync drops that seemed to work about 30% of the time. We had some Oosik versus Oosik matches as well. Ended up with one coming down to the wire with TOG's team almost winning by points. But their Bushwhacker came across a Flea that killed him.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I scraped together cash to buy three parts of a Star League Marauder from the store. It's a heat sinking monster, of course. I think I like the extra autocannon hardpoints too much to give up the stock model...? Anyone got a SL Marauder build they like (in BATTLETECH)?

I wanted to get a Griffin too when I saw one, but couldn't scrape together 30 million. In my careers these days, I am a filthy pirate-appeaser. Here in this campaign, though, they are not too fond of me. :wink:

Speaking of BATTLETECH:
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »

Ok that's a fantastic one. Battletech with all DLCs for under $30 max, Some good CK2 bundles, EU3, Stellaris bundles, Hearts of Iron, plus more

Highly recommend if you're on the fence for any of those

If anyone was waiting for a deal to pick up BT or maybe waiting for all the DLC to be available, this is a pretty good chance to scoop them up.

:)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.