Options

[Magic The Gathering Arena] Fires of Treachery banned!

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    These are the actual challenger decks they're printing, so they're designed for FNM Bo3, but they definitely feel extremely RPS in a Bo1 event.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    I first tried the black green deck and lost. Than just went for the quick rewards with rdw.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The B/G deck seems super bad, especially in bo1 against that set of decks. I played it to finish quests, never got a win, switched to Fires and won two in a row.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Historic Pauper is absolutely my kind of bullshit. I just wish it had better rewards. But a 100g profit and a few cards I'm unlikely to use is better than nothing I suppose, and I'm having more fun re-entering and playing more pauper than I have been in ranked play lately.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I got into Pauper back about 8 or so years ago. The rarity level restrictions make the format fun and accessible.

Just like any format, you end up with archetypes and tiers, but I think it's got a pretty decent level of brews happening.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I drafted a fairly successful (for me anyway) blue green enchantment based deck in Limited Draft, so I fleshed it out for Standard ranked and it got obliterated every time. Even more frustrating I just wanted to run it through a few quick games to get a feel for it being decent or not. But every single game was some slow ass slog while the other player constantly roped me while having an exact and obvious counter in hand to be played at the last minute. By the end I was so frustrated I just conceded out on a game where the other player was taking a lifetime to decide what to mulligan. I'm also getting closer to just insta-conceding against that red green goblin deck that gets Rhythm of the Wild out early.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    The B/G deck seems super bad, especially in bo1 against that set of decks. I played it to finish quests, never got a win, switched to Fires and won two in a row.

That's my impression. The red deck, fires deck, and simic deck do a good impression of rock paper scissors with aggro versus engine midrange deck versus tempo control, while the B/G deck just sort of sits in a midpoint where it feels like both a powered down aggro list and powered down midrange engine list. It can't play big enough or gain enough life to really stop the red deck, it's not fast enough to threaten the fires deck (and fires, unlike most engine based decks, doesn't lose any tempo by playing its engine out ASAP), and it is too reliant on value pieces to grind against the simic deck (not that that matchup was very common).

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    I sometimes forget that Historic exists! I even used my gold to purchase both Anthologies!
    Playing merfolk tribal is so goood :biggrin:

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Twice in the last two days an opponent has either forgotten how the stack worked or not realized that the epicure of blood doubles the effectiveness of revenge of ravens.

Guy had four (I KNOW) cavalcade of calamities out and like 20 1/1s. I had a revenge or ravens, an epicure of blood and about 5 health. He attacked with everything.

I swear, I let out an honest to goodness evil genius laugh.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I won a game last night that I 100% shouldn't have.

I was at 4, and my opponent hit me with Rankle.

We each discarded. O_o

I topdecked Bedevil and got there while clinging to that last 1 life.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

We each discarded. O_o

You only need 1

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Elldren wrote: »

We each discarded. O_o

You only need 1

Although in this case you also need your opponent to not read their own card.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Twice in the last two days an opponent has either forgotten how the stack worked or not realized that the epicure of blood doubles the effectiveness of revenge of ravens.

Guy had four (I KNOW) cavalcade of calamities out and like 20 1/1s. I had a revenge or ravens, an epicure of blood and about 5 health. He attacked with everything.

?
    Wouldn't the triggers be placed on the stack in AP/NAP alternation, and then a bunch of Cavalcade triggers would be placed on top when your Raven triggers ran out?

• Options
    BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    jb86i0zw1qxa.jpg

Hit platinum for the first time in forever. (Not since Ravnica Allegiance probably?)

• Options
    edited March 2020
    discrider wrote: »

?
    Wouldn't the triggers be placed on the stack in AP/NAP alternation, and then a bunch of Cavalcade triggers would be placed on top when your Raven triggers ran out?

The stack would be:

80 Cavalcade triggers (plus however many Scorch Spitters and Fervent Champions are out there) -> 20 Revenge triggers. Each Revenge trigger resolving causes an Epicure trigger to go on top, resulting in the opponent having to somehow survive losing 40 life before the stack even reaches their own triggers.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    discrider wrote: »

?

The stack would be:

80 Cavalcade triggers (plus however many Scorch Spitters and Fervent Champions are out there) -> 20 Revenge triggers. Each Revenge trigger resolving causes an Epicure trigger to go on top, resulting in the opponent having to somehow survive losing 40 life before the stack even reaches their own triggers.

Yeah, declaring attackers is a single action so all the triggers from it go on the stack for the active player first, simultaneously (and the active player can pick the resolution order)

Edit: alternating order only happens if, somehow, neither player has priority when the triggers occur. In the declare attackers step, the attacking player has priority first and all their triggers will therefore go on the stack first. Then when the defender gets priority, all of their triggers from declaring attackers go on the stack.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ironheadironhead Registered User regular
    Some juicy card names for the upcoming set were datamined from the MTG:A log files.
    Vivien Monster's advocate
    Lukka, Coppercoat Outcast
    Voracious Greatshark

These are pretty much all obviously creatures or planeswalkers but no information on stat lines, effects, mana costs or anything of that nature.

• Options
    BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    The cat deck from the latest workshop event is the most On Brand(TM) thing for me.
    6d2v2m2h4ulp.jpg

• Options
    I’m all about the zombie deck.

It’s a two-card engine with tribal synergy that spits out gobs and gobs of creatures and generates all the value

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Zombie deck is ridiculous. Especially since none of the decks have any decent removal and the zombie lord gives deathtouch to all the other zombies which makes favorable combat trades near impossible for the not zombie player.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I played a mono-green "+1/+1counters" deck last night.

I got him down to 4 then hit a wall. I probably could have won if my sweeper showed up.

He refused to attack and just kept making huge creatures. I was at 62 life when I conceded.

It was weird because 3 of his creatures were 17/17 or higher (Renata had nearly 30 power) and I was down to just 2 vampires. And he still just kept making fatties and passing.

• Options
    ironhead wrote: »
    Zombie deck is ridiculous. Especially since none of the decks have any decent removal and the zombie lord gives deathtouch to all the other zombies which makes favorable combat trades near impossible for the not zombie player.

Are you talking about that zombie amass deck that uses all those cheap permanents to add hexproof, menace, deathtouch, flying and etc. to the zombie tokens? I've been seeing that thing a lot in standard ranked and it's always a pain in the ass to deal with.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    ironhead wrote: »

Are you talking about that zombie amass deck that uses all those cheap permanents to add hexproof, menace, deathtouch, flying and etc. to the zombie tokens? I've been seeing that thing a lot in standard ranked and it's always a pain in the ass to deal with.

No we were talking about the zombie event deck for the event that just ended.

The weird rule was no limit on number of copies of a card so the zombie deck had like, 15 copies of Undead Servant which is basically the only way that card is playable at all, but also makes it seriously broken. It backed that up with like 7 copies of Cryptbreaker to get those servants into your yard for value, along with 5 or so copies each of Stitcher's Supplier to get more zombies in the yard and Death Baron to make them bigger and give them all deathtouch.

When it got going it was easily making 5-6 3/3 deathtouch zombies a turn while drawing 3 cards and none of the other decks could even come close to that.

The elfball deck in particular was just sad as it was actually considerably worse than a normal constructed elfball deck

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Oh..yeah, yikes.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    So seems Arena has a bug: Guy stole a god from me, I kill it, trigger goes off and then it just went into the graveyard.

Well, shit. Guess I should have read that "you" bit re: below.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    If it was one of the Eternals that either go third from the top or in the bin, the controller at the point of death makes the choice, in this case your opponent can (and presumably did) choose to put it in your yard.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    Yeah the green deck gave me 5 lanowar elves and nothing else. I'm not sure how it is supposed to win.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I cannot wait for all these shitty planeswalkers to rotate. Can. Not. Wait.

Control deck
    Control deck
    Discard deck
    Discard deck
    Control AND discard deck.

Painful electric shocks, all of them.

dporowski on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    The Ikoria reveal stream made me do the unthinkable.

It made me not-hate the Godzilla cards being included in the set.

Also Mutate and Companion seem like cool mechanics.

• Options

is there a text version of this information?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    This isn't as good as the last few movies but ehh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhj7mx1wfGM

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Brazen Borrower seems like it is going to destroy this entire set.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options

is there a text version of this information?

@Elldren the mechanics article is up https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/ikoria-lair-behemoths-mechanics-2020-04-02

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular
    Oh good, they clarified that if the target creature that you are attempting to mutate is removed before the mutate resolves, then the mutate spell enters the battlefield as a creature, so you don't get two for oned. Since some creatures have smaller mutate costs than casting costs, this can also lead to getting creatures out for less than normal under certain conditions.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Yeah lot of utility value for unsummon and the like this set

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Have Tri-Lands ever been printed? There's a world article that seems like it's hinting at the idea to my eyes
    Ikoria has five major geographical regions called "triomes." Each triome has its own unique terrain, a dominant clade of monsters, and a fearsome apex monster. Another traveling Planeswalker named Narset told me that these triomes are due to the unique flow of magic through the land of this plane. Each region is the result of three distinct types of mana mixing together.

of course it could just be flavour for the various deck themes

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Cururu wrote: »
    Oh good, they clarified that if the target creature that you are attempting to mutate is removed before the mutate resolves, then the mutate spell enters the battlefield as a creature, so you don't get two for oned. Since some creatures have smaller mutate costs than casting costs, this can also lead to getting creatures out for less than normal under certain conditions.

also a real interesting puzzle for decks that sac for value

edit: like imagine a cat oven deck, mutating the cat, then saccing the cat before mutate resolves so you get cheap creature and can also play the cat again

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Have Tri-Lands ever been printed? There's a world article that seems like it's hinting at the idea to my eyes
    Ikoria has five major geographical regions called "triomes." Each triome has its own unique terrain, a dominant clade of monsters, and a fearsome apex monster. Another traveling Planeswalker named Narset told me that these triomes are due to the unique flow of magic through the land of this plane. Each region is the result of three distinct types of mana mixing together.

there have been tri-lands in alara and tarkir

also they just printed one in eldraine, though it's super limited to knight tribal

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

there have been tri-lands in alara and tarkir

also they just printed one in eldraine, though it's super limited to knight tribal

Huh yeah I always forget the tourney ground even though I play a Knight deck with 4 of them quite often

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Cururu wrote: »

also a real interesting puzzle for decks that sac for value

edit: like imagine a cat oven deck, mutating the cat, then saccing the cat before mutate resolves so you get cheap creature and can also play the cat again

That was my thought as well mutate + sac engine = value ?