As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lets talk about [Mass Effect] while my girlfriend plays for the first time

expendableexpendable Silly GooseRegistered User regular
She's completely unspoiled and has never really played vidya games beyond Super Mario or Tetris or some old classic arcade games.

Having finished watching all of the X-Files together and looking for something new to watch together in this new world she expressed an interest in Mass Effect since the series is rather dear to me. Unfortunately, it was a rather daunting thing for her, since a previous attempt at Gone Home had her frustrated with trying to handle the Xbox controller.

Did I also mention that she has trouble making decisions sometimes in real life?

So we are going with the solution that she designed her character and makes all the dialogue or other choices, including major mission order and which squad members come on missions, I'll handle that pesky walking and combat.

There will be spoilers in this thread, obviously. Given that the trilogy is 13, 10, and 8 years old I don't plan to cover these unless requested. We haven't decided if we'll play Andromeda yet; not because boo Andromeda (I like it) it's just that Andromeda is just so much bigger I don't know how feasible it is.

Where we're at so far: Almost done with ME1. Have completed Liara, Feros, Noveria, Virmire, and all sidequests to that point including Bring Down the Sky and Pinnacle Station.

We have Bree Shepard, a Sentinel/Bastion, Sole-Survivor Spacer that is mostly Paragon with some healthy Renegade tendencies. Her favorite squad people have been Kaiden, Garrus, and Wrex. She thinks Tali is an annoying child and Ashley is a bitchy racist, but softened on Ash after learning about her family and assignment history. Joker is too cocky. She didn't trust Anderson for a long time but likes Udina even less. Not a fan of the Council but hasn't hung up on them. She thinks Hanar and Elcor are awesome and I super can't wait for her to be exposed to Blasto and the all-elcor Hamlet.

She thought becoming a Spectre was rather exciting.

(Accidentally) romancing Kaiden, having rebuffed Liara rather hard. She didn't want to romance anybody because she though it was improper to fraternize within the chain of command. She totally (accidentally) banged the Consort though. She's glad she doesn't have to drive the Mako as it looks very frustrating.

Recap of major decisions:
Took Wrex to see Fist. Not major but funny.

Saved all the colonists on Feros, but did not have enough points to persuade the corporate Bean Counter and thus ended up shooting him. Spared the green Asari lady.

Spared the Rachni Queen on Noveria; this wasn't a difficult choice for her at all. She also helped Parsini arrest Anoleis and was about to shoot the cops that wanted to take her gun.

Virmire was last night. I have a couple pictures and some low quality videos, but I'll ask her permission before putting any of that up.
The conversation with Wrex was pretty tense for her. She didn't realize he might die until they had pulled guns on each other. Luckily she had done his family armor quest so that was resolved and he lived.

She sent Ashley to work with Kirrahe.

The Reveal: right after sending the Asari researcher running because she was going to nuke the place, she said "I bet Sovereign is from the Prothean time, or maybe even was a Prothean ship or something."

Her reaction to talking with Sovereign right after that.

The Decision:
There was a lot of "WHAT?! WHAT!? NO!" going on here. There was anger. There was questioning how she got in this position. There was demanding reloads of old saves to try and not get to this point. There weren't tears but it was close and there was definite sadness.

20 minutes of anguish and her going back and forth with herself and she made her choice. She tried to tell Kaiden to hold on just a bit longer and part of her was still hoping she could save both, but his response killed the rest of that hope. Ashley survives Virmire.

And that's where we left off last night. She talked with the Council and we called it a night.

Damn, I really wish I could experience this series for the first time again, but watching her experience it is almost as good.

Djiem wrote: »
Lokiamis wrote: »
So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
Steam

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    we get it you have a girlfriend 🙄🙄🙄

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    I'm also unsure how to handle Paragon/Renegade Interrupts starting in ME2. There's probably a fair few she'd take, but the delay of her seeing, processing, and telling me to take it and then me processing that and doing it will probably be enough to nix it, which means some reloading of saves is going happen, which is clunky.

Steam
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    I'm also unsure how to handle Paragon/Renegade Interrupts starting in ME2. There's probably a fair few she'd take, but the delay of her seeing, processing, and telling me to take it and then me processing that and doing it will probably be enough to nix it, which means some reloading of saves is going happen, which is clunky.

Just have her yell "DO IT"

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I've been really wanting to replay the Mass Effect series, but I just know that if I do I'll do nothing but play, sleep, and eat for like two weeks.
    Which I'll admit isn't a terrible option, maybe terrible for my productivity though.

• Options
    crwth wrote: »
    we get it you have a girlfriend 🙄🙄🙄

She lives in Canada so you've probably never met her.
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Just have her yell "DO IT"

Yes! But she also has to use her fist to accentuate it just like Udina does.

Steam
  • Options
    We finished ME1. She opted to save the council though she really wanted to "let those assholes die" but ultimately decided to save them under the thinking that it wasn't fair to condemn the entire crew of the Destiny Ascension because the Council were dicks, but also because the Alliance fleet had to wait for the Citadel to open to attack Sovereign anyway and it would be better to have them in the system already in case the Reaper kept the relay shut down. It was more thought than I put in when I first played the game way back when and she noticed things I don't think I did in my first playthrough.

She also convinced Saren to shoot himself and put Anderson on the council.

Starting ME2 was rough for her. The intro sequence had her cursing Joker because she wouldn't be spaced if it weren't for going back for him, and she didn't even really like him that much anyway, and was there an option to leave him?

She also reacted exactly the way I bet the writers wanted for the first bit. "I've been dead for two years? TWO YEARS?" What about my crew?" and "I have implants? Am I even a real human anymore?"

Lots and lots of "I want my crew back. Where's Garrus and Wrex? And I was just starting to like Ashley" Which is enlightening to me. I remember thinking Garrus was a whiny pushover in ME1 when I first played. Wrex was cool, but I really did not like Garrus. I thought everybody was misremembering how Garrus was in 1 because they loved him 2 and 3, but now I guess I'm the weird one.

She was also beyond thrilled to get a grenade launcher. She complained a bunch in ME1 about the enemies having rockets but she didn't.

As of now she has recruited Kasumi, Zaeed, and Mordin. She despises Miranda and keeps trying to "put her in her place" in conversations and is annoyed when it doesn't work out. She has skewed hard toward Renegade so far, mostly because she bristles at Cerberus. Joker is growing on her a lot more than he did before, and she no longer talks to Jacob because instead of Shepard just talking like a normal person it immediately becomes over-the-top flirting with no way to stop it.

She had her Spectre status reinstated, which was the only reason she was nice to the Council in that conversation.

Does anybody know how the class skill bonuses to Paragon/Renegade work? Each rank gives like a 20/70/100% bonus to the reputation points, but the internet seems pretty split on whether it's purely retroactive or applies to points awarded going forward too and is there for a proportional wash. Given that the Charm/Intimidate dialogue system in Pants-on-Head in ME2, I'm trying to figure out if she'll be in the better position to get those bonuses asap as she levels or wait a bit for best effect.

Steam
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    It's definitely retroactive in 3, I haven't played 2 in ages but my gut feeling is that it is not.

• Options
    I absolutely stopped talking to Jacob because they wanted you to romance him hard, and every single conversation required a shut-down of the romance path.

There's no not saving Joker, it has to happen.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Heal the galaxy with peace and compassion

and don't let anyone take yer fuckin guns

• Options
    Butler wrote: »
    Heal the galaxy with peace and compassion

and don't let anyone take yer fuckin guns

“Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes execute dangerous people. Either way helps.”
    --Mordin Solus

Steam
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    The ending of three continues to upset and sadden me.
    It got worse the more I thought of it

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    at this point most of my positive memories of these games are from the ME3 multi

the fans and the ending made it really hard for me to continue enjoying the rest

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I still think ME3 is overall a damn fine game with a lot of amazing moments (excepting the bucket of poorly written turds that is Kai Leng in general and Priority: Thessia specifiaclly), even though the ending is not very good.

• Options
    What was bad about Priority: Thessia? That's a new complaint I can't say I've heard

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    What was bad about Priority: Thessia? That's a new complaint I can't say I've heard

kai leng?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options

You can absolutely trash Kai Leng in the fight against him, but you still lose through the most egregious deus ex machina I've ever seen because that's how they wanted the story to go. Insanely frustrating. Just have him have beat us there or something, don't let us win the fight and then go NO SHEPARD LOST AND IS SAD NOW.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    The floor collapses in a very specific way to where Shepard's whole team has to do a cliffhanger and Kai Leng gets to do an endzone dance and skate away with the thing you're all there for. Then he emails you afterwards that you're weak and you suck and all the characters act like yup, we sure did lose a pitched engagement there due to our combat failures. Yup.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I suspect a lot of the Kai Leng stuff was written by different people with different ideas about what kind of character he was

like, he gets clowned on a lot and other characters in the game even say how much he sucks, but he still succeeds for most of the game for no reason except that it needs him to

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    kai leng's biggest resume item is that he once stole someone's cereal and milk

what a villain

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I manage to successfully forget about Kai Leng until he shows up again or people start talking about him. I enjoy 95% of ME3, just not him.

He's obviously the pet antagonist of a weeb DM; it explains everything.

KL was also supposed to have "metal legs" in his concept stage.

Steam
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I'm really hoping the DLCs are going to be a part of this journey of yours. Especially ME3's Citadel. Because Citadel might be my absolute favorite bit of added content in any game ever.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I've headcanoned the ending to a point where i'm happy with my selection.

But nothing can fix Kai Leng.

• Options
    I'm really hoping the DLCs are going to be a part of this journey of yours. Especially ME3's Citadel. Because Citadel might be my absolute favorite bit of added content in any game ever.

Absolutely, I have them all, and like you said, Citadel is the best.

In Bring Down the Sky she actually spent a fair bit of time deciding about the hostages. She ended up saving them because she wanted Kate Bowman on her crew and she figured if she went after Balak he'd just escape anyway.

We even did Pinnacle Station because she wanted everybody to know her Shepard is the best.

Arrival makes a great transition from ME2 to ME3. Kasumi is worth it just for the Renegade Interrupt in the vault of her loyalty mission and we both enjoy heist movies so she'll get a kick out of the whole thing.

Discussions of it being Day-1 DLC aside, Javik is the best and taking him to Thessia with Liara is hilarious.

Steam
  • Options
    3clipse wrote: »

You can absolutely trash Kai Leng in the fight against him, but you still lose through the most egregious deus ex machina I've ever seen because that's how they wanted the story to go. Insanely frustrating. Just have him have beat us there or something, don't let us win the fight and then go NO SHEPARD LOST AND IS SAD NOW.

oh right

I thought because you separated Kai Leng and Thessia there was something else about Thessia.

Yeah that fight is all kinds of bullshit and dissonance between cutscene and gameplay.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I plan to play Mass Effect 2 with the French language pack to help me in my quest to become bilingual

I'll report back once I start

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Kai Leng is way funnier in the tie-in novels he was introduced in

Just proving how much of a badass he is by breaking into someone's apartment and eating their cereal

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Cello wrote: »
    I plan to play Mass Effect 2 with the French language pack to help me in my quest to become bilingual

Do you know some French already? Because that sounds awesome.

And slightly unrelated, I wonder what it would end up looking like if I did a trilogy run in a language I didn't understand at all. I've played enough times to be able to suss out most of it by memory...

Steam
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Kai Leng is way funnier in the tie-in novels he was introduced in

Just proving how much of a badass he is by breaking into someone's apartment and eating their cereal

I think there's also some bit about him pissing in their plants instead of using their toilet for... reasons??

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

Do you know some French already? Because that sounds awesome.

And slightly unrelated, I wonder what it would end up looking like if I did a trilogy run in a language I didn't understand at all. I've played enough times to be able to suss out most of it by memory...

I'm working on it! Studying it through a local college's online program, but in Ontario everyone learns it in elementary and some of high school, so I have a base to go on. I know most of the script pretty damn well so hopefully I'll get a lot of the translation through context!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Kai Leng is an annoying douchebag who takes credit for a lucky victory, and later when you meet him in a fair fight you kill him handily.

I've always considered him an effectively hateable character for those reasons, and have never taken truck with the idea that the game wanted you to consider him a genuinely cool badass.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    i was thinking of replaying ME1/2 soon having not played them since release

thems good video games

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Kai Leng is an annoying douchebag who takes credit for a lucky victory, and later when you meet him in a fair fight you kill him handily.

I've always considered him an effectively hateable character for those reasons, and have never taken truck with the idea that the game wanted you to consider him a genuinely cool badass.

The two lead in books suggest he's dangerous and designed by Illusive Man to be an anti-Shepard counter. Then in your first two encounters with him, Shepard is cutscene forced to come out the worse in both battles. The real annoying part is that the Vanguard you fight in Lair of the Shadow Broker comes off as MUCH more capable and dangerous than he ever does...

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I swear someone here had a story about a friend's reaction near the end of ME3

once it gives you the choice of the three ending options, the friend just quit out of the game and uninstalled it

Like, nope, done here, don't need to see any of those!

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    ME3 multi is hands down my favourite multi in a game, the first time I punched something as a Batarian I was in love, and the roster is still fondly remembered, even if the lootbox element sucked and meant I didn't get to try everyone.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Citadel does the role that Kai Leng tried to fill but nails it instead of being stupid.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Cerberus went and gathered the littlest shithead prepubescent boy they could find to evil science on him in order to create the most douchey assassin possible, some little bratty kid turned into a ninja. That is Kai Lang. All the self-awareness and self control of a child, given all the power to torment everybody else the way he enjoys it (which is incredibly stupid, immature ways). Why you would want a douchebag assassin I have no idea, but Cerberus has always shown itself to have way more resources than sense.

Kai Lang acts like a twelve year old boy turned into a ninja because he is literally a twelve year old boy. That is my headcanon.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Who doesn't ever pat that guy on the back and tell him that he is working too hard?

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I don't really like Mass Effect that much, but the song that plays over the credits of the first one is pretty good.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gISlB1IdUjI