Options

[Legends of Runeterra]: Enjoy Early and Evening Engagements in this Excellent Expansion

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Nothing amazing out of the vault today. I did get quite a few rares that I didn't already own which seemed statistically unlikely given how many I already have though.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    on the other hand I pulled 1 champ (fiora); 1 champ wildcard + the guaranteed champ wildcard

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Only hit the first Diamond chest, but also comes with a Champ wildcard regardless, which is my biggest bottleneck if I want to make a new deck moving forward. Maybe 6 or 7 dupes across the whole thing, so altogether not bad.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Champs are absolutely the hardest part of deck building. Finding champs that can play in a variety of ways/decks (that you like of course) is easily the best bang for your buck. Excellent champ choices right now:

Sejuani! Plays in midrange to longer range, viable in concert with Bilgewater or Noxus.
    Elise! Plays in literally anything SI.
    MF! Plays fast to medium speed, can be mono Bilge or with Demacia or Freljord.
    Fiora! Goes in basically anything Demacia, or the Shen barriers deck that's midtierish.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Solid Vault this week. I got:

1 new Common, 2 common WC, 2 new Rares, 1 Rare WC, 4 new Epics, 1 Epic WC, Thresh, and 1 Champion WC.

Yeah, I’ll take that!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I wonder if a Fiora/Vi deck might be interesting. Your whole deck is built around using one of those two champs to either kill minions to win the game, or kill minions to chip 5 damage onto the enemy nexus. Plus, single combat Vi vs anything with 1 power is a gimme.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I think Riptide Rex was the only thing of note in my Vault. Large amount of shards this time around.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »
    I wonder if a Fiora/Vi deck might be interesting. Your whole deck is built around using one of those two champs to either kill minions to win the game, or kill minions to chip 5 damage onto the enemy nexus. Plus, single combat Vi vs anything with 1 power is a gimme.

So pre-Vi nerf this is kind of what Bannermen did. I will say even in a dedicated Vi build it's hard to really trigger her level up ability. I think I've seen it go off maybe once or twice in a game maximum. If you have a 10 power creature that can stick on the board for multiple attacks, you've pretty much won the dang game anyways, especially in PnZ or Demacia which don't have issues clearing away small bodies.

If you're thinking single combat leveled up Vi, just note her level up ability is when she strikes while attacking.

• Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »

So pre-Vi nerf this is kind of what Bannermen did. I will say even in a dedicated Vi build it's hard to really trigger her level up ability. I think I've seen it go off maybe once or twice in a game maximum. If you have a 10 power creature that can stick on the board for multiple attacks, you've pretty much won the dang game anyways, especially in PnZ or Demacia which don't have issues clearing away small bodies.

If you're thinking single combat leveled up Vi, just note her level up ability is when she strikes while attacking.

Ah, I just had a "Target enemies" quest, so I threw together a PnZ/Demacia deck to throw at the AI, and realized that Vi can get some real good value out of Single Combat against chunky things with only 1 or 2 power.

• Options
    If anyone wanted to try out my anti-Endure deck, here's the code:

CEBQCAQBAICACBIBB4OTMBQBAEAQGCYYDYQQEAIBAEZACAIFEABACAIBGQBACBIDCQ

Sejuani is mainly in the deck as another form of removal, so don't worry about leveling her, since it almost never happens. But if she does levels, Anivia's ability freezes all of the enemies, locking them out and slowly wiping them out. The Rekindler would ideally hit Anivia, but that's not necessary. You can get more Anivia from Chronicler of Ruin and The Harrowing.

I'm not sure the deck is great, but it crushes Endure and does well against aggro with all the healing. Tough against midrange, which is a lot of the meta these days.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Some people have zero mental fortitude. I'm playing Ashe/Sej vs what I assume is endure. He has Elise and Kallista on board I have Ashe and the 3/1 frostbiter. I pass and it's his turn 5 and he open attacks. I block block, brittle steel the Kallista and he concedes.

So we went 1 for 1 and the game is over? Play a little more! And if one card could blow out your game plan so hard why did you open attack? Maybe try and develop the board so I spend down?

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    If anyone wanted to try out my anti-Endure deck, here's the code:

CEBQCAQBAICACBIBB4OTMBQBAEAQGCYYDYQQEAIBAEZACAIFEABACAIBGQBACBIDCQ

Sejuani is mainly in the deck as another form of removal, so don't worry about leveling her, since it almost never happens. But if she does levels, Anivia's ability freezes all of the enemies, locking them out and slowly wiping them out. The Rekindler would ideally hit Anivia, but that's not necessary. You can get more Anivia from Chronicler of Ruin and The Harrowing.

I'm not sure the deck is great, but it crushes Endure and does well against aggro with all the healing. Tough against midrange, which is a lot of the meta these days.

Is that a deck or a DNA sequence.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Some people have zero mental fortitude. I'm playing Ashe/Sej vs what I assume is endure. He has Elise and Kallista on board I have Ashe and the 3/1 frostbiter. I pass and it's his turn 5 and he open attacks. I block block, brittle steel the Kallista and he concedes.

So we went 1 for 1 and the game is over? Play a little more! And if one card could blow out your game plan so hard why did you open attack? Maybe try and develop the board so I spend down?

Sometimes there's no point. You can look at your handstate and what's going on and figure there's very little chance you win this. This is especially true if you are trying to rank up cause your time might be better spent in a more winnable game.

• Options
    Is Sej/Ashe just hard countered by Karma/Heimer? I keep getting so close to pulling out a win, but by that point they've got heimer down, and I just can't find a way to get control of the boardstate back.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    shryke wrote: »

Sometimes there's no point. You can look at your handstate and what's going on and figure there's very little chance you win this. This is especially true if you are trying to rank up cause your time might be better spent in a more winnable game.

It was non-ranked! And maybe my hand is also garbage!

And again, there are so many potential spells I could have there to blow him out if one frostbite did it. Harsh winds, culling strike, etc. Why just launch into the attack without thinking?

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    It's also entirely possible the other player just had something in life come up.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    It sure is!

I think TF might actually be the least fun to play against. Arguments against him: He's definitely running card theft. Their turns take forever.

He actually kind of reminds me of Karma in how binary he is. Aggressively mediocre unleveled, kind of ridiculous when leveled.

• Options
    Leveled up TF is some bull......unless your playing a vlad deck and keep hitting crimson disciples off of crimson curators; you can just sit there daring them to play a card

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    And the climb is done, just in time for the new PoE league:

5YtTPbG.png?1

Just jammed Endure games from Plat all the way up. Final game was a mirror where I mulliganed into triple Endure, proceeded to top deck a perfect curve, and won without playing any of them.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Possession and Flash Freeze in my own Endure deck has helped out quite a bit, though at the end of the day Endure is going to pack enough high roll scam potential to get kicked around all game and still win.

It's definitely really big to drop a few unconventional anti-meta cards though.

Kasyn on
  • Options
    The Fiora deck that's going around seems to stomp Endure, I went 0-4 against it. No idea how it matches up to MF/Sej, or any of the elusive aggro decks though.
    9BWa2hI.png?1

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I just built that deck and immediately won a game. So cheese.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Would people be interested in a PA LoR league or something? Maybe one game a week against a forumer I'm thinking. We could tinker with the format, I'm not exactly sure what the "official" format is, but I'm thinking maybe you have to bring three decks and when you win with one, you can't use it again, first to three wins. Could also mandate faction restrictions, like each deck can't overlap.

Just seeing if there's interest for something real casual like.

• Options
    Most of the tournaments are Conquest, which is Hearthstone's format, and is essentially what you described.

Usually either Bo5 with 4 decks and your opponent choosing a deck to ban or just a Bo3 with 2 decks. Once you win with a deck you can't play it again, and no region overlap (which adds a lot of power to Demacia as the best mono deck).

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Yilias wrote: »
    Most of the tournaments are Conquest, which is Hearthstone's format, and is essentially what you described.

Usually either Bo5 with 4 decks and your opponent choosing a deck to ban or just a Bo3 with 2 decks. Once you win with a deck you can't play it again, and no region overlap (which adds a lot of power to Demacia as the best mono deck).

Four decks seems like a lot, especially for the newer F2P players, as does the region requirement now that I'm thinking about it in that context. Maybe some people will chime in with what their collections will allow. Maybe one overlap allowed?

Doing something like a 10 card sideboard might be the most budget friendly, but sideboard building is kind of skill testing.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    Region restrictions are generally pretty important to force some deck diversity in these kind of things. It's why you do the "win a game and you can't use that deck anymore" thing. It makes you build weird less meta decks.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    I just built that deck and immediately won a game. So cheese.

Ditto against an Endure. They tried to kill Fiora 2 times with Atrocity which failed.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Region restrictions are generally pretty important to force some deck diversity in these kind of things. It's why you do the "win a game and you can't use that deck anymore" thing. It makes you build weird less meta decks.

Ehhh, I don't think that's necessarily true. I know it's something hearthstone did, and to me it appeared to basically force people to buy five decks. No other card game does the conquest styles. LoR is pretty balanced across all the factions on ladder, and you don't need to have some sort of weird restriction. I think sideboarding would probably be fine for diversity too.

One thing I really dislike about conquest style in LoR is I feel like tournament decks should reflect what is good for joe schmo to play on ladder. The "no overlap" clause means you're gonna have some weird, hinky stuff in tournament, and the ban is probably even worse for that. Being able to spot ban certain things, like Ionia, will warp your deckbuilding in serious ways. HS doesn't have that problem because all of the decks are monocolored anyways.

• Options

Ehhh, I don't think that's necessarily true. I know it's something hearthstone did, and to me it appeared to basically force people to buy five decks. No other card game does the conquest styles. LoR is pretty balanced across all the factions on ladder, and you don't need to have some sort of weird restriction. I think sideboarding would probably be fine for diversity too.

One thing I really dislike about conquest style in LoR is I feel like tournament decks should reflect what is good for joe schmo to play on ladder. The "no overlap" clause means you're gonna have some weird, hinky stuff in tournament, and the ban is probably even worse for that. Being able to spot ban certain things, like Ionia, will warp your deckbuilding in serious ways. HS doesn't have that problem because all of the decks are monocolored anyways.

Having weird shit in tournaments is, imo, a big part of the point. To not have HeimerVi vs Endure or something every match.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Region restrictions of only 1 use you'll still see people run HeimerVi vs Endure; the thing it guarantees is everyone running mono demacia or mono bilgewater

SeGaTai on
    PSN SeGaTai
  • Options

Having weird shit in tournaments is, imo, a big part of the point. To not have HeimerVi vs Endure or something every match.

I mean there's a ton of unique shit out there in ladder now and the deck building requirement isn't a guarantee that the weird shit is good or worthwhile. People will still build the best 1 or 2 decks verbatim, and then the least bad janky stuff to fill slots, or put an Omen Hawk in Bannermen to get around that restriction. The difference is that casual fans trying to emulate the pros won't understand "actually this deck is super off ladder meta and only works in this format don't ladder with it." If they sink a bunch of shards and wild cards into a deck that helped win a tournament only to learn that? Lot of feel bads!

I think it's best when everything lines up. It also makes it easier for players interested in tournaments to join tournaments. They don't have to figure out something new. It's what they've already been doing.

There are obviously pros and cons to both methods. Sometimes when balance is shitty like in MTG, yeah you get a top 8 that is literally 7 Temur Reclaimation decks. But at least LoR is a digital game so they can move swiftly for balance.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    A healthy metagame should ensure variety in tournaments anyways. Beyond that... that's the appeal of limited formats (a proper draft/sealed setup, I mean - I'm not sure the expedition setup would work well for that).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    Region restrictions of only 1 use you'll still see people run HeimerVi vs Endure; the thing it guarantees is everyone running mono demacia or mono bilgewater

You actually might not see much Heimer Vi because you can just instaban Ionia which is what most people did during Twitch Rivals. Then you have to consider what feasts when Ionia is banned (It's almost certainly Endure.)

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2020
    Okay Super Fiora deck is not great for laddering. Ionia is like a 10-90 matchup. Will shuts her down long enough to beat you to death, and she still has to kill four enemies even when she levels so recalling her sets her to 0/4 no matter what.

I imagine burn is also fast enough to just race you, and it probably likes the fact that you will have 1-2 units to block with. A better matchup than Ionia, perhaps, but still bad.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I forgot Maokai boops champions so I died the turn of a Maokai level up even though I had Nautilus in hand. I'm Mad, I mess up so many things because of the tiny phone screen

• Options
    Got 7 wins on my first expedition run this week. The Epic capsule had a Rare and Epic I was missing, in addition to a Epic WC.

Then my level 23 P&Z Champion Capsule has 3 Rares, an Epic, and a Vi that I didn’t own. Wow, solid start for the week.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular

Eh

I quit matches that are unfun to me, even if I think I'm going to win.

Nothing wrong with quitting

• Options

And again, there are so many potential spells I could have there to blow him out if one frostbite did it. Harsh winds, culling strike, etc. Why just launch into the attack without thinking?

Wait, what?

Literally the only reason to play unranked is if you are planning on giving up! That's what the mode is for!

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Wait, what?

Literally the only reason to play unranked is if you are planning on giving up! That's what the mode is for!

Naw, unranked is for playing and testing weird off meta shit, or practicing with something you're unfamiliar with before taking it into ranked. Maybe if you're playing on mobile and might have to leave.

Ranked is the mode where you need to cut and run. Number of games matter so if your odds are long yeah just bail and requeue. Unranked is just for funzies, so play it out.

• Options
    Riot: we made a mode where you can quit with no penalty

People playing said mode: you so dumb for quitting, dummy