[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Yay! Paper Beast is coming to PC VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNWsSFHwGlU

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Very neat!

I'm starting to make an effort to play my many unplayed VR games cause it's rude to just Beat Saber when I get around to VR, fun though it is.

Played Batman VR. It's more of a tech demo being like an hour long but really appreciate the stylized Batman world of Rocksteady. Plus there are Riddler trophies scattered throughout the levels afterward that gives the game more length if you're not a dummy like me and can't figure out a simple math problem. I mean I have a minor in Math, it wasn't that hard but my brain just wouldn't do it. Still a neat little experience to pick up on the cheap.

Next up: Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin

Karoz on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Very neat!

I'm starting to make an effort to play my many unplayed VR games cause it's rude to just Beat Saber when I get around to VR, fun though it is.

Played Batman VR. It's more of a tech demo being like an hour long but really appreciate the stylized Batman world of Rocksteady. Plus there are Riddler trophies scattered throughout the levels afterward that gives the game more length if you're not a dummy like me and can't figure out a simple math problem. I mean I have a minor in Math, it wasn't that hard but my brain just wouldn't do it. Still a neat little experience to pick up on the cheap.

Next up: Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin

That's awesome! I've been having a hard time getting through my backlog between VR tech problems and low grade depression, so when I can get it working it's 90% beat saber in here too!

I'm gonna make an effort to play Pavlov and see if anyone is still playing Vox Machinae this week

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So do we have any good space pew pew games yet? I'm not too deep on the PC scene but now with the link working better for quest I wanted to dip my toes in.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I enjoyed Elite Dangerous' pew pewery in VR, but the game definitely benefits from having a HOTAS and possibly something like Voice Attack, added to which it's boring and samey if you want story, characters or even just varied missions. People also seem to have liked House of the Dying Sun and Everspace in VR.

I'm still kinda amazed that there's no official cockpit-based Star Wars game for PC VR. They're doing a bunch of other Star Wars games, none of which are particularly good, but isn't piloting an X-Wing the dream of so many kids? (Rationally speaking, I know it's in the views of most publishers that there simply isn't enough of an audience for a big budget game.)

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Elites an MMO though right? I don't have an internet connection to support a game like that.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    It's always-online, regardless of game mode, but you can play it in solo mode. Not sure how strong the connection has to be.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So do we have any good space pew pew games yet? I'm not too deep on the PC scene but now with the link working better for quest I wanted to dip my toes in.

House of the Dying Sun.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Sooo it looks like we're getting a Wraith: The Oblivion VR horror game.

The setting has always seemed super interesting, so I'm excited! On the other hand, VR horror and I am a coward....

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    It is a crime that Abzu never got VR support.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Sooo it looks like we're getting a Wraith: The Oblivion VR horror game.

The setting has always seemed super interesting, so I'm excited! On the other hand, VR horror and I am a coward....

Quote from the article:
    “I am a massive fan of games like Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Alien: Isolation, and have always felt that the kind of narrative-driven, exploration-focused horror these titles deliver would be perfect for VR.”

If they can recreate even a fraction of the horror of Amnesia in VR then I will be laughing all the way to the adult nappy shop.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    That Westworld game isn't even a real horror game and it stressed me out. I'm pretty sure alien isolation would kill me

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I enjoyed Elite Dangerous' pew pewery in VR, but the game definitely benefits from having a HOTAS and possibly something like Voice Attack, added to which it's boring and samey if you want story, characters or even just varied missions. People also seem to have liked House of the Dying Sun and Everspace in VR.

I'm still kinda amazed that there's no official cockpit-based Star Wars game for PC VR. They're doing a bunch of other Star Wars games, none of which are particularly good, but isn't piloting an X-Wing the dream of so many kids? (Rationally speaking, I know it's in the views of most publishers that there simply isn't enough of an audience for a big budget game.)

The one PSVR mission they tacked on to the first modern Star Wars: Battlefront title made it eminently clear that they could give us modern-quality, fully-VR versions of the LucasArts X-Wing franchise; "they" simply choose not to.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    hlprmnky wrote: »

The one PSVR mission they tacked on to the first modern Star Wars: Battlefront title made it eminently clear that they could give us modern-quality, fully-VR versions of the LucasArts X-Wing franchise; "they" simply choose not to.

I'm hoping there's some vr thing in Star Wars: Squadrons. I probably shouldn't hold my breath, but we'll find out Monday I guess.

• Options

I'm hoping there's some vr thing in Star Wars: Squadrons. I probably shouldn't hold my breath, but we'll find out Monday I guess.

ha HA!
    https://www.theverge.com/21289266/star-wars-squadrons-game-trailer-multiplayer-team-x-wing
    guess I should have been holding my breath :)
    Hopefully the VR implementation is good.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

ha HA!
    https://www.theverge.com/21289266/star-wars-squadrons-game-trailer-multiplayer-team-x-wing
    From the overview on the website:
    Compete in intense 5v5 dogfights, unite with your squadron to tip the scales in monumental fleet battles, and take off in a thrilling Star Wars™ single-player story. Immerse yourself in the pilot’s seat completely with the option to play the entirety of Star Wars™: Squadrons in virtual reality (VR) on PlayStation®4 and PC with cross-play support.
    Which sounds good, but it's also being developed by the Battlefront 2 folk. So, toss up on if it'll be choked with IAPs and multiplayer-focused or not.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Hey VR thread

I've been playing Robo Recall but I want a more realistic, less arcadey single player shooter — maybe something with the kind of fun gun physics in Boneworks but more of a jump-in-and-shoot kind of game

My buddy 3d printed me a rifle stock for the Oculus controllers and I'd like to test it out

Any suggestions?

• Options
    edited June 2020
    jdarksun wrote: »

ha HA!
    Compete in intense 5v5 dogfights, unite with your squadron to tip the scales in monumental fleet battles, and take off in a thrilling Star Wars™ single-player story. Immerse yourself in the pilot’s seat completely with the option to play the entirety of Star Wars™: Squadrons in virtual reality (VR) on PlayStation®4 and PC with cross-play support.
    Which sounds good, but it's also being developed by the Battlefront 2 folk. So, toss up on if it'll be choked with IAPs and multiplayer-focused or not.

From the article:
    While the game will offer extension customization options for both gameplay-altering items like weapons, hulls, engines, and shields as well as a variety of cosmetics to customize their cockpit, ship, and pilot appearance, the company promises that everything will be “earned solely through gameplay.”
    EA is still reeling from Battlefront 2's initial launch. I don't think they will make the exact same mistakes again.
    I believe I read that it is multiplayer focused, but also that there was a campaign.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    Hey VR thread

I've been playing Robo Recall but I want a more realistic, less arcadey single player shooter — maybe something with the kind of fun gun physics in Boneworks but more of a jump-in-and-shoot kind of game

My buddy 3d printed me a rifle stock for the Oculus controllers and I'd like to test it out

Any suggestions?

Pavlov, for sure. It has a lot of rifles, which I find awkward to aim without a real stock, and it has lots of fun motion-oriented controls, like pulling the slide after you load in a new clip.

It also has a ton of mods, which download automatically when you join a server with a mod active. So if someone invites you to a custom horde / wave mode, you just accept the invitation and get it automatically.

• Options

ha HA!

That's the part that jumps out at me. Cross-platform cross-play support? With cross VR-monitor support too? This might be one of the next Big Things in VR, if they don't botch it out of the gate

• Options
    edited June 2020
    templewulf wrote: »

ha HA!

That's the part that jumps out at me. Cross-platform cross-play support? With cross VR-monitor support too? This might be one of the next Big Things in VR, if they don't botch it out of the gate
    Gamespot (among many others) is reporting no microtransactions, but I couldn't find confirmation on the Squadrons website. So, like. It's sounding like Fallen Order has had a resounding impact.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Humble is doing a Codemasters bundle and I noticed that Dirt Rally 2.0 has VR support.

Anyone know if it's any good?

Also, is there any game in particular that's recommended if I want to try a racing game in VR?

• Options
    Hey VR thread

Any suggestions?

Pavlov, for sure. It has a lot of rifles, which I find awkward to aim without a real stock, and it has lots of fun motion-oriented controls, like pulling the slide after you load in a new clip.

It also has a ton of mods, which download automatically when you join a server with a mod active. So if someone invites you to a custom horde / wave mode, you just accept the invitation and get it automatically.

I don’t have a PCVR solution ready to hand but I have to say that your last two sentences there remind me of the “I cannot believe we got away with it” world of joining a custom Unreal Tournament server in like 2006-7 and after a brief download period, all of a sudden you were playing on map that was some kid’s bedroom and you were all the size of 3.5” action figures, or maybe this one was a bunch of towers suspended in low Earth orbit and you had to figure out how to get from one to the other on your own.
    “You just accept the invitation and get it automatically” is a powerful, powerful spell and I hope it is being played to the hilt over there in Pavlov town.

_
  • Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    Hey VR thread

Any suggestions?

Pavlov definitely. I'll also suggest Onward. Its the VR ARMA to Pavlov's Counterstrike, with slower paced, more deliberate gameplay. The co-op modes also seem more developed, with actual enemy AI. There are some zombie modes in Pavlov, but I don't believe there's any AI enemies with guns. As far as playerbase goes, nothing in VR comes close to Pavlov, but Onward has enough players that you should be able to find a game no matter when you're playing.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Meant to do it sooner but played through Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin.

Clocks in at about 2 hours, quicker if you're less dumb with the puzzles like I am. Overall an enjoyable experience and it's nice to visit the Psychonauts scale again. While the game is takes place by traveling to stationary points it has a clever way of doing so for the setting. There is also a wonderful sense of scale and Psychonauts charm that makes me hopeful for whenever 2 comes out.

I think it's about time I return to finish Alyx.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Slortex wrote: »
    Hey VR thread

Any suggestions?

Pavlov definitely. I'll also suggest Onward. Its the VR ARMA to Pavlov's Counterstrike, with slower paced, more deliberate gameplay. The co-op modes also seem more developed, with actual enemy AI. There are some zombie modes in Pavlov, but I don't believe there's any AI enemies with guns. As far as playerbase goes, nothing in VR comes close to Pavlov, but Onward has enough players that you should be able to find a game no matter when you're playing.

I recently got Pavlov on sale, and can confirm that it does have bots you can play against, but that they're dumb as rocks.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    thanks for the suggestions, folks! i'm probably not going to hop into multiplayer adversarial VR shooters any time soon, but Onward might be fun. I wonder if I can convince any of my friends to buy a VR headset for some co-op...

Unrelated, I got motion sickness for the first time ever — in my entire life — yesterday, playing Boneworks. I wasn't doing anything crazy, just moving around a simple physics puzzle area, but I felt a growing sense of queasiness that made me feel sweaty and unsteady. It felt like being deeply anxious about nothing. Is this what motion sickness is like for people? What a horrible, insidious feeling. I hope I can adjust over time. It took hours to go away, too.

Strangely, I didn't get that feeling at all while whirling around in Blade and Sorcery, maybe because you actually spend a lot of time moving around in your personal space more than running back and forth in a room.

• Options
    The desire to Not Let Down the Team is very much why I own but have only played the tutorial/botmatch bit of Firewall: Zero Hour.

_
  • Options
    thanks for the suggestions, folks! i'm probably not going to hop into multiplayer adversarial VR shooters any time soon, but Onward might be fun. I wonder if I can convince any of my friends to buy a VR headset for some co-op...

Unrelated, I got motion sickness for the first time ever — in my entire life — yesterday, playing Boneworks. I wasn't doing anything crazy, just moving around a simple physics puzzle area, but I felt a growing sense of queasiness that made me feel sweaty and unsteady. It felt like being deeply anxious about nothing. Is this what motion sickness is like for people? What a horrible, insidious feeling. I hope I can adjust over time. It took hours to go away, too.

Strangely, I didn't get that feeling at all while whirling around in Blade and Sorcery, maybe because you actually spend a lot of time moving around in your personal space more than running back and forth in a room.

Most of my time in Pavlov has been co-op zombie horde modes, so it depends on what you mean by adversarial.

Boneworks is uniquely nauseating, it's not just you. Going by internet anecdotes, it makes more people sick than not!

• Options
    Boneworks is uniquely nauseating, it's not just you. Going by internet anecdotes, it makes more people sick than not!
    Some of that was the original release, though. The game has improved since and it should be less nauseating. It's still pretty intense and definitely not for VR beginners, mind you.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Anyone excited re: Star Wars Squadrons? If it wasn't for VR, I wouldn't be, but I am very much looking forward to sitting in one of those iconic cockpits...

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Anyone excited re: Star Wars Squadrons? If it wasn't for VR, I wouldn't be, but I am very much looking forward to sitting in one of those iconic cockpits...
    Fuck yeah, it looks awesome.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Same, flat screen it probably wouldn't have me super excited but the Battlefront VR mission was worth the $8 I paid for that game all by itself.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    I'd be all in on flat screen even if there weren't VR support. VR support pushes it over the top for me.
    I'm excited because there is the obvious x-wing vs tie fighter lineage, and I got some rogue squadron vibes as well.

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    So I haven't chimed in on here in a while, but I don't think anyone has mentioned the awesome Quake 1 VR mod - if you have Quake 1, it's worth a play for sure. I'm half way through and it's been a blast.
    o5yajbyy0bwt.jpg
    (Ignore that sound error, I fixed that afterwards.)

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    I'd be all in on flat screen even if there weren't VR support. VR support pushes it over the top for me.
    I'm excited because there is the obvious x-wing vs tie fighter lineage, and I got some rogue squadron vibes as well.

I absolutely loved XWvTF, even down to the tedium of power management and arranging shield deflectors

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    What’s even cooler is that it sounds like Squadrons will include HOTAS support. That along with the VR integration makes it an almost certain buy on my end.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    This! VR without HOTAS gets me mildly excited, but I probably wouldn't buy it at $40 (there are a lot of VR space games that I can play with a controller). But VR with HOTAS means I'm proobably picking it up if the reviews are solid.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular

I absolutely loved XWvTF, even down to the tedium of power management and arranging shield deflectors

This is the first time I've ever heard someone refer to that system as being tedious.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »

This is the first time I've ever heard someone refer to that system as being tedious.

I thought pumping energy out of the weapons batteries and into shields and then waiting for it to charge up to do it again was kind of tedious. I'd rather there was a higher shield setting that was more efficient than charging weapons and diverting that power.