As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's All Freak Out In The [Ghost of Tsushima] Thread

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Well, this sucks. I THOUGHT I preloaded the game but I guess I only preloaded the theme.

Amazing.

It's OK, like 4 games have come out today and yesterday that I need to play through so to bed I go. I'll check this out tomorrow. I hope it's not as frustrating as Sekiro.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Well, this sucks. I THOUGHT I preloaded the game but I guess I only preloaded the theme.

Amazing.

It's OK, like 4 games have come out today and yesterday that I need to play through so to bed I go. I'll check this out tomorrow. I hope it's not as frustrating as Sekiro.

Augh that's so painful to read (preload).

It's not nearly sekiro frustrating.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Oh also so far? Walking?

Totally doable. Way off the beaten path and loving it and winding my way towards my next actual quest very circuitously.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Amazing.

It absolutely isn't. I've not seen many comments about the game being difficult at all really.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Question about Trophies: Does it have difficulty level associated trophies?

No idea, but there's def a hard mode.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Chance wrote: »

No idea, but there's def a hard mode.

If there isn't a trophy for difficulty, I don't think I'll bother.

Sekiro was enough for me for a bit.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I'm gettin hit and needing to retry a bit, but I always can see very clearly where I screwed up and a clean exchange with an enemy always feels very slick. Camera hasn't messed me up at all, so far.

Just did the shipyard (from the 18m state of play) with nothing but the starting skill and the kunai, Samurai style. There was a moment where I was actually surrounded by like 7 dudes but I cleared it first try.

Felt wicked.

Edit: Oh also! So far checkpoints have never felt weird or off at all, and the load from death to retrying is like sub-10 seconds.

Chance on
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I’ve jumped into for 2 hours before I put my head down for my last night shift tonight.

Playing on hard and just unlocked the map and first two tales. This game looks pretty even on a standard PS4.

Combat is no Sekiro but the enemies are aggressive in bunches and they are going down in a couple of shots. Lethal damage for me but also for them which I’m really digging. Finding parry’s easy to do so it’s been quite smooth so far.

Can’t wait to play more.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular

Trophy information spoilered for those who want to go blind, but to answer Aegeri, no, there is no difficulty related trophy. Much like God of War 2018, you should be able to run through the game at your leisure and 100% it in post-game.
    Living Legend: Obtain all trophies

Gathering Storm: Recover the katana of clan Sakai

Point of No Return: Break your code to help a new friend

Company of Wolves: Recruit the Straw Hat ronin

Stoking the Flame: Rescue Taka from Mongol captivity

Family Reunion: Free Lord Shimura from the Khan’s clutches

Leader of the People: Rally the peasants of Yarikawa

Birthright: Recover your father’s armor

Dying Embers: Eradicate the traitors in the name of a fallen friend

The Ghost: Embrace your new identity

The Exiled Alliance: Reunite with your allies in the frozen north

Sovereign End: Confront the Khan

Mono No Aware: Leave the past behind and accept the burden of your new mantle

The Warrior Monk: Complete all of Norio’s Tales

The Vengeful Warrior: Complete all of Masako’s Tales

The Unbending Archer: Complete all of Ishikawa’s Tales

The Headstrong Thief: Complete all of Yuna’s Tales

Teller of Tales: Complete all of the Mythic Tales

Helping Sword Hand: Complete all Tales of Tsushima

Flash of Steel: Defeat 20 enemies with a counterattack after a Perfect Parry

Witness Protection: Shoot a Terrified enemy with an arrow while they are fleeing

All in the Wrist: Defeat the maximum amount of enemies within a single Standoff

Open for Business: Successfully Stagger enemies 50 times

There Can Be Only One: Successfully complete every duel

Have a Nice Fall: Kill an enemy with fall damage by knocking them off a ledge

Haunting Precision: Kill 20 enemies with Ghost Stance strikes

The Ghost of Legend: Build your Legend to earn the title Ghost of Tsushima

Quick Study: Learn the Stone, Water, Wind, and Moon combat stances

Every Trick in the Book: Acquire all the throwable Ghost Weapon techniques

The Perfect Storm: Fully upgrade your sword

A Charming Man: Equip a charm in all 6 slots

Gifted: Collect 10 gifts

Slay: Acquire 30 pieces of Vanity Gear

Light the Way: Rekindle all the lighthouses of Tsushima

Den of Thieves: Discover Umugi Cove

Favor of the Kami: Find and honor all of the Shinto Shrines on Tsushima

Honor the Unseen: Bow to 10 hidden altars across Tsushima

Lost and Found: Discover a Pillar of Honor and collect its Sword Kit

Monochrome Masters: Purchase an item from the Black and White Dye Merchants

Cooper Clan Cosplayer: Dress up as a legendary thief

Dirge of the Fallen Forge: Play the “Lament of the Storm” at a friend’s grave

A Moment in Time: Personalize a scene in Photo Mode

Avid Reader: Collect 20 Records

Know Your Enemy: Collect 20 Mongol artifacts

Body, Mind, and Spirit: Complete all Hot Springs, Haiku, Inari Shrines, and Bamboo Strikes

Hero of the People: Liberate 12 occupied areas in Izuhara

A Fight For The Isle…: Liberate all occupied areas in Izuhara

Good Riddance: Liberate 8 occupied areas in Toyotama

Securing Sanctuary…: Liberate all occupied areas in Toyotama

Mass Eviction: Liberate 7 occupied areas in Kamiagata

A New Safe Haven: Liberate all occupied areas in Kamiagata

Master Liberator: Liberate the entirety of Tsushima Island

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Does anyone else plan to try to never ride the horse?

I just wanna walk everywhere. Or think I do, now.

My plan is more to fast travel as little as possible and just ride my horsey everywhere.

• Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    I suppose I owe Walmart an apology. They finally provided a tracking number this morning and I guess it's on a truck, out for delivery right now.
    I guess their website is just slow on updating the shipping status as it claims to have been passed off to FedEx at noon yesterday.
    I may get to play this tonight after all.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I didn't look at any gameplay stuff about this game prior to release but I guess I wasn't expecting Assassin's Creed 2.8: This Time It's Samurais. Not that a generic open world checklist game is something that I don't enjoy, but it's also hard for me to get excited about after playing so many if then.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I didn't look at any gameplay stuff about this game prior to release but I guess I wasn't expecting Assassin's Creed 2.8: This Time It's Samurais. Not that a generic open world checklist game is something that I don't enjoy, but it's also hard for me to get excited about after playing so many if then.

Seems to be much more focused about like... actually fighting guys though. Which seems not so assassin's creed-y?

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I really like how the story quests are set up. You aren't running straight through a quest (or tale) and the way it is layered makes it feel like things are happening in other inactive quest lines while you are doing other things.
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

Seems to be much more focused about like... actually fighting guys though. Which seems not so assassin's creed-y?
    I find the combat to be more Batman-esque than Assassin's Creed. There's no super kicks or bull-rushes here (defintely gadgetry though; again. . .Batman).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Fuck I can't wait to get home from work
    And then make dinner
    And then get the kids washed up
    And do some laundry
    And put the kids in bed, later than usual because it's a Friday
    And then play Ghost of Tsushima

• Options
    Why wait until the kids are in bed? This is seminal time to educate them on awesome samurai "cinema".

• Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    Why wait until the kids are in bed? This is seminal time to educate them on awesome samurai "cinema".

"Oh no no no, don't cry! I'm just... putting them to sleep. They were really tired. Yea. And they had ketchup packets in their clothes."

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I made them watch Fists of the White Lotus like, not even that long ago, lol.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    To my 5 year old daughter:

"Yes, honey; Pai Mei is a bad ass."

• Options
    Bluhhhh.

Played like 7 and a half hours straight last night. Was up to 6 30 in the morning.

Guys.

You guys.

It's so good you guys.

• Options
    Bluhhhh.

Played like 7 and a half hours straight last night. Was up to 6 30 in the morning.

Guys.

You guys.

It's so good you guys.

While you were all sleeping,
    I studied the blade.

• Options
    No, I seriously love it. The way the UI is handled IS huge. How it's handled is kind of intrinsic to the game design. You will never look out over a field of icons showing points of interest. Sometimes you'll overlook an enemy base and several things will be pointed out to you - a hornet's nest, an explosive barrel - but once you're actually taking the base, you have to remember that shit is there.

It also makes the world feel huge. You can pass within paces of a major point of interest and have no idea because of how the world is designed, and while you do have a "meters to target" display in the top-left (if you use the guiding wind), because it's not a bobbing object on your HUD in the distance, the distance to it always feels really ethereal until you emerge from the trees and it's in front of you.

The game autosaves really generously, no matter what's going on. You stumble across some Mongols on a mountain path, and you fail? You aren't loading your last autosave when you last completed a quest or something - it reloads like a Far Cry Base Attempt - you're right back there on the mountain road, but the Mongols who killed you (or whatever random event you just failed) is now gone. A 5 second load and you continue on your way. There's never a reason not to engage in those events beyond real-world time questions.

So good you guys.

• Options
    Oh also. I chose the black horse and had 3 options to name him. He is Kage (shadow).

Game of the fuckin' year.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Guys, I think Chance might actually hate the game. I dunno, I'm getting vibes here.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    What's your opinion of the Kurosawa mode? The SkillUp review said not to bother with it, just because the game is so beautiful you'd be doing yourself a disservice by washing out all the color. But I'll be honest, man; I'm here for that shit. I'm here for the down-mixed audio and film grain filter, and all of it. I'll be happy with the game either way, I'm sure, but I'm a huge Kurosawa fan and I'm here for that shit.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Guys, I think Chance might actually hate the game. I dunno, I'm getting vibes here.

My words, they are-a very good, yes? I learn-a to speaka you tongue.
    milk ducks wrote: »
    What's your opinion of the Kurosawa mode? The SkillUp review said not to bother with it, just because the game is so beautiful you'd be doing yourself a disservice by washing out all the color. But I'll be honest, man; I'm here for that shit. I'm here for the down-mixed audio and film grain filter, and all of it. I'll be happy with the game either way, I'm sure, but I'm a huge Kurosawa fan and I'm here for that shit.

It nails it, and it makes me almost wish the game were less gorgeous but I can't ignore the most beautiful colors and world Sucker Punch has ever assembled, even taking Paris in Sly 2 into account. I should turn it on for a mission or 2, but when I tried it out I turned it on, said "man, that looks perfect," and immediately turned it off and kept playing.

edit! Wait! Update! Dubmness!
    That said, concerns that a lack of colors would give you a tactical disadvantage are completely unfounded. Yes there are red and blue flashes on certain enemy attacks, but here's the dealio on that:
    • If an enemy does a flash attack you still see the flash
    • If it's a flash attack, you can't block it - so dodge
    • If you've unlocked the parries, you can also parry every flash attack

So whether or not the flash is blue or red is immaterial. It's an unblockable attack that must be dodged, but can be parried with the skills unlocked. For my part, the parry tree is the first one I maxed.
    I just wasn't fighting any brutes. I thought I could parry both but no, you can only ever parry blues.

Shit. sorry. Bad info.

I have a complaint!

I wish there were a setting that the bow didn't appear on your back until you drew it. Like a headgear setting, but for this colossal man-sized ring-snake colored bow obliterating my svelte ronin silhouette.

Chance on
  • Options
    Okay so I turned on Kurosawa mode for my next mission which is actually the "I've never seen a Samurai fight like that," "it was nothing" mission from the trailers. It immediately felt like I had less information and was disorienting, but I very quickly just started playing the game again. All the information's still there (unless it's a black Mongol attack dog in a very dark shadow), it's just not a blazing color any more - you have to look at it to see it more, if that makes sense.

The other thing that really stands out is how the sound register immediately changes so that everything is at once a little high on the treble and a bit too low on the bass and bit too fuzzy in the midrange and it sounds... fucking exactly like someone took the reality I was living in the colored game and filmed it for a 60s Samurai movie. The sound part of it is insane.

I like it. I might leave it on for one more, we'll see. Still a little disorienting.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Played about an hour last night and finished the prologue.
    My god the visuals in 4K HDR when you get to the title card. Holy hell.

That might be the best looking thing on the PS4.

• Options
    Had a another couple of hours fun before work.

Freed some hostages, wrote a haiku, had a bathe and cleaved a mongol leader while the others watched and fear.

Game is so good!

• Options
    Okay I think I got the best way to describe the two ways to play the game (Kurosawa mode or not), and it struck me when I swapped between them while running and noticed how my footsteps suddenly sounded like they were coming from 30 feet away:

If you want to watch a Samurai movie that you control, play Kurosawa mode.

If you want to be in that world, play without the filter. The base game is immersion, Kurosawa mode creates some real distance for me.

• Options
    Theres no question that when the sales data goes public for Ghost, it will be considered a top seller.

I hope that gives developers the idea that its okay to make games in a stylish genre, instead of the rote modern war/zombie/humanity was the enemy all along.

I would love to play a game that pays homage to wuxia/kung fu movies like Kung Fu Hustle, Iron Monkey (I'm sure there's more classic Hong Kong movies I'm not aware of). Or hell, just give me a Thunderbolt Fantasy co-op multiplayer game.

Not familiar with Thunderbolt Fantasy?
    https://youtu.be/6bcBWenOfR0

• Options
    Tenchu and WotS on PS2 were two of the titles that drew me back to gaming as an adult. The relative absence of kung fu chicanery and bushido blades in modern gaming has been a thorn in my side for a lonnng time. Sekiro was a big deal, to me. This game a big deal to me and yeah, I'd love to see a resurgence of cheeky double-As taking on samurai, ninja, wushu cinema with the same enthusiasm and quality as like, Maneater or Wet.

You don't have to be perfect! You just have to be awesome. And have Samurai swords.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Whoever said this was bad is smoking five different kinds of super crack

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Theres no question that when the sales data goes public for Ghost, it will be considered a top seller.

I hope that gives developers the idea that its okay to make games in a stylish genre, instead of the rote modern war/zombie/humanity was the enemy all along.

I would love to play a game that pays homage to wuxia/kung fu movies like Kung Fu Hustle, Iron Monkey (I'm sure there's more classic Hong Kong movies I'm not aware of). Or hell, just give me a Thunderbolt Fantasy co-op multiplayer game.

Not familiar with Thunderbolt Fantasy?
    https://youtu.be/6bcBWenOfR0

(Watches that trailer.)

Holy shit.

• Options
    You don't have to be perfect! You just have to be awesome. And have Samurai swords.

And have attacks like Wind God Stares at the New Moon, or Drunken Wolves Hunt the Prey.

I would love another Tenchu game, but I think the ships have sailed on that.

• Options
    I would love to play a game that pays homage to wuxia/kung fu movies like Kung Fu Hustle, Iron Monkey (I'm sure there's more classic Hong Kong movies I'm not aware of).

Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Saviors, Shaw Brothers?

• Options
    Sekiro was great but this is scratching my Tenchu/Way of the samurai itch. I miss Tenchu.

If I could have actually picked any name for my horse I would have called it Rikimaru.

Can’t wait to get this shift over and go exploring again. Gah!

• Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    Just started the game and, wow. The sword blows and gameplay mechanic around it are great so far! I haven't played around enough yet, but can you just dodge all attacks instead of blocking with the sword?

• Options
    Just started the game and, wow. The sword blows and gameplay mechanic around it are great so far! I haven't played around enough yet, but can you just dodge all attacks instead of blocking with the sword?

Yes (so far) but a dodge or even perfect dodge will never put you in as advantageous a situation as a perfect parry.

• Options