Options

A [Chat]icle for Leibowitz

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Your character mysteriously wakes up in the morgue. They're unkillable!

After a dozen more deaths, they solve the mystery: every time they die, a completely random other person dies with no apparent cause, in their stead.

They go on to do many suicidal good deeds, saving more than one life each time

this is like a really shitty form of quantum leap

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Your character mysteriously wakes up in the morgue. They're unkillable!

After a dozen more deaths, they solve the mystery: every time they die, a completely random other person dies with no apparent cause, in their stead.

They go on to do many suicidal good deeds, saving more than one life each time

They rescue five people from a troll, dying in the process

It's a troll-ey problem

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Eddy be straight with me

Are you a supervillain

I serve Dayira the lawful goddess of Ways and Paths

I am but a vessel for her will, and now you are too, forever and for all time

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    90s American pop culture has arrived in Japan.

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Every time you die you consciousness jumps to another universe where you lived. You don't realize it at first because everything seems the same, except for a few minor things

Space Dandy RPG

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    formatting references is a form of torture

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Every time you die you consciousness jumps to another universe where you lived. You don't realize it at first because everything seems the same, except for a few minor things

What if you are dead in all universes?

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Whats the anime where every time the main character dies, another number tattoo appears on his body counting the deaths, then he comes back to life?

Also for some reason he smells like shit and refuses to bathe.

I don't have anything to say about it I just forgot the name of it.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Suddenly even more suspicious of the Berenstain bears

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Oh yeah and his car is a coin-op transformer mecha!

• Options
    I think my facial hair is growing faster in quarantine.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Whats the anime where every time the main character dies, another number tattoo appears on his body counting the deaths, then he comes back to life?

Cannon Busters, I think

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Boss: OK we need to submit to a different journal reformat everything quickly

boss later: why are there errors in the reference formatting

Me: I can't fucking imagine why that might be

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Jumanji

• Options
    oh yes DCC has the basic premise that if you bleed out and "die" you can "roll over the body" which means you get a luck check to see if actually, the wound wasn't as bad as we thought. you do have a permanent scar which is usually -1 agility or stam or strength. Or it could be a mangled ankle or something unique that the player has to quest to get fixed.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    @override367 I'm running descent into avernus soon! And some of my players are here in this thread so in spoilers, how far in are you? I have questions about some of the early plot stuff and I'm curious how others handle it.

@SniperGuy

SPOILERS
    Our DM opened with us having a quest to hunt a troll in Elturel, we ran into a Hellrider guarding a fort full of undead and convinced him to go in with us (our Artificer) and we smacked around some zombies, and continued to Elterel, which got pulled into the ground and exploded like a nuke, leaving an empty crater and no debris, but a number of dead bodies.

We gathered up a small army of refugees, I didn't' want to metagame so I looked at our map and made the case that the refugees should go to the nearest Elturian city, a good size city to the east, half the distance of Baldur's gate. The DM didn't expect this, and apparently the module didn't either, so he called a small break and came back and we started making our way east. We found a platoon of plate clad hellriders who accused us all (refugees included) of somehow being responsible for Elterel. We denied it, of course, but they said that they would defend the rest of Elteguard from whatever heresy caused the calamity, and drove us off.

The DM had a cute as a button little girl latch onto my character, letting me know she reminded me of lots of orphans from Waterdeep, but the kid didn't know her parents were dead. Then I forgot to drink blood and failed a wis save and almost drank the poor girl to death, and made her wear a scarf the rest of the way to baldur's gate while she rested "sick" on the rich woman's wagon.

When the kid woke up she practically worshiped me, to make me feel even worse about very nearly killing her. I found a nice gay couple fleeing Elteguard, gave them my ticket home to waterdeep (it was a backstory item, I wasn't meant to stick around, with the conceit that I would never make that boat) and begged them take the girl away from here.

Since my character is the adopted child of our party from the previous campaign, I gave them the name of our previous characters and said "please go to them for help, tell my parents I took a boat to Calemshan but to help you out, they'll probably buy you a castle or something, they're fucking terrible with money, good luck" and adjusted my amulet of nondetection.

Then the flaming fist took us in because of the Hellrider we came with and demanded that we solve the murders of refugees that had been cropping up, which lead us to the Elfsong, where pirates jumped us, pirates I used to work with, pirates I had robbed in my backstory (hey an amulet of nondetection aint cheap). Then we did some investigate, went to a boat with a moneylender, killed some spying imps, I stole a spellbook that had FIFTH LEVEL SPELLS IN IT from the captain's hold after barely surviving a glyph of warding and 2 animated daggers, we learned the bathhouse probably had something to do with this.

But first, boat-tavern-barfight! I won!

Before the bathhouse we went to the morgue, investigated the bodies, and checked for similarities among the victims. It was a dead end but cultists jumped the party in an alley nearly killing everyone, cultists of "the dead three", bhaal, bane, and myrkul. My character knows about Myrkul because of the Three Suns Heresy being A Big Deal in waterdeep and living in an orphanage of Lathander from ages 5 to 9

We are currently at the bath house, or beneath it, as while enjoying the relaxing massages and whatnot I found a secret door, knocked out the masseuse and stuffed her in my bag of holding, disguising myself as her, and lead everyone into the dungeon

Which we did a bit, eating a bunch of resources, taking down this necromancer and her pet undead, and realizing that a dungeon crawl at level 3 while wearing nothing but towels is probably a bad idea

I did smuggle our weapons in, but nobody thought to give me either their armor or clothing, and the Hellrider's lawful good ass wouldn't let us loot the robe off the Necromancer we beat up and charmed

Edit: forgot spoiler tags, but I have no idea how RAW the dm is running it, he has a guide for making the entire baldur's gate portion of the module better

override367 on
  • Options
    japan wrote: »

Cannon Busters, I think

Yes, that was it, thanks.

• Options
    It also had epic theme music in the netflix adaptation

https://youtube.com/watch?v=srfAW0zw8Lo

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

American Gladiators

• Options
    Fullscreen mode on the PS1 emulator was acting janky. I restarted the computer and it fixed it.

Such craftsmanship.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Amazon lobbyist to Swedish tax office: "Hey, how about we pay no taxes?"

Swedish tax office: "You'll pay taxes."

Welcome to Sweden, Amazon.

• Options
    This show absolutely did not exist or I would know about it

Obvious Mandela Effect

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Amazon lobbyist to Swedish tax office: "Hey, how about we pay no taxes?"

Swedish tax office: "You'll pay taxes."

Welcome to Sweden, Amazon.

Wow it really sucks you guys have no freedom

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Character death is important. Luckily 5th gives you death saves which helps. It shouldn't be done lightly by DMs. It should be feared by players and it should be something that is very much possible. Let the dice lay where they fall. Its I guess an old thought but all my groups have been built around that thought.

But also you should work with the player who died to help bring in the next character but also with the group for consequences to them. Early game deaths are pretty small for shock verse mid or late game deaths.

I will fudge numbers for story reasons as DM. I have the screen. But it is rare. And usually in the favor of the players.

But at the same time monsters are very deadly if you actually use all their abilities especially mind control and stuff which I feel most DMs shy away from not wanting to force players to give up control or do to complexity of abilities.

I also like the lair abilities in 5E. Good way to make bosses interesting fights. As you can't stop a lair.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    a
    MrMister wrote: »
    I would be mad as hell if a DM killed my character for laffs, or to build tension, or whatever

ok cool story, see you never again

What I am suggesting is a bit more subtle: It's refraining from fudging die rolls to keep a player alive. Or otherwise fudging things behind the screen to make sure the most narratively or dramatically appropriate / satisfying thing always happen.

That's fair. At the same time, I'm also just not that interested in playing campaign settings where true random dice will eventually kill your character. If I spend hours and hours concepting, playing, and developing a character, I'm pretty much only okay with it being killed if that's part of a story development I explicitly helped plan and agreed to.

Like, only 1% of the playerbase ever actually wanted to play Diablo on hardcore. Power to the people who do want that, but I would feel like it was a huge violation of my time and extremely disrespectful if that got sprung on me without a whole ton of explicit metadiscussion and mutual greenlighting about how permadeath is a normal part of the campaign.

Are you ok with your character being killed if you try to tackle something you're clearly not meant to tackle?

No!

That sounds like a breakdown of communication, and imo it's bad DMing to take a communication breakdown and then punish the player because it's 'their fault' for not getting what the DM was 'obviously' putting down

There are some really common situations that will cause the majority of players in a fantasy roleplaying game to do suicidally stupid (for their character) things. I think part of it may be learned behavior from video games where it's usually not possible for your choices to put you into a no-win situation. In a video game if there is an option, no matter how stupid it would be for the character, some people will take it cause it's there. And god damn do they pitch a fit if that results in their "run" being failure-locked (and rightly).

One thing that is really really common in new players (and a surprisingly number of old players) is just not being able to handle the idea that a foe cannot be beaten right now. Some players will never run away / hide / surrender but will fight to the last no matter what. In a fight they started in the first place! "Well the DM obviously wouldn't have put that there if we aren't supposed to fight it".

Something that more DMs need to learn (cause writing this kind of scenario is such a newb DM mistake) is that a lot, I think a majority, of players will get their characters killed rather than be captured or - should they be captured while unconscious - do anything but attack the guards or prison walls with their teeth until killed with no thought for any other option.

There are other cases but really what it comes down to is that a lot of players will do things in fantasy RPGs that will get their players killed. Obviously so. And not because of lack of communication from the DM. But just because certain actions are incompatible with the power fantasy.

I'm sure this groups of players exist, but they sound either quite immature or like they're looking for something completely different from a game than I am. I've never been at a table with people like this. But I've also never played a full campaign of D+D or pathfinder so maybe it would be more common there.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Anyway here is my list of those who have betrayed me

• Options
    Look out. I am getting out FF9 and Xenogears. :P

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Sometimes I accidentally drop a small amount of food, but if I don't think the cat will eat it I don't rush to pick it up. It turns out Lia will steal, run away with, and then eat arugula though? What a weirdo.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    DK you sure are knowledgeable about anime

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Look out. I am getting out FF9 and Xenogears. :P
    Quality video games.

• Options
  • Options
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Sometimes I accidentally drop a small amount of food, but if I don't think the cat will eat it I don't rush to pick it up. It turns out Lia will steal, run away with, and then eat arugula though? What a weirdo.
    Replace the following bear with your cat:

• Options
    edited August 2020
    japan wrote: »

That's not Aldi, it's Stop N Shop, my local grocery chain!

an1i456g7x2f.jpg

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    MOUNTAIN SHOUTIN

• Options
  • Options

there are infinite universes

Yeah, but what if you are infinitely dead?

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    A game where players "can't die" (because death is major narrative event and the game is shaped by narrative decisions) is also a game where players shouldn't be acting arbitrarily and goofily. In the same way that the GM and the setting is constrained in its effects by narrative guidelines, so are the players. There has to be agreement that it is collaborative fiction and what the nature of that fiction is, to some extent.

I said my player characters cant permanently die, that doesn't mean they can't die

We lost a monk in Tomb of Annihilation because he cornered an enemy boss lady and she knocked him out and shoved her bag of holding into his, blasting them both to the astral sea

his character is effectively dead for the remainder of the campaign and won't come back until the epilogue when the party has the resources to do some kind of retrieval for his personal quest

so excess fucking around (like, say, charging a boss when you have 1hp and mocking them) is still something they definitely know to avoid

I also often frequently impose debilitating grievous wounds instead of killing them at levels before 9

• Options
    (Dr Bob tastes like cherry piss but I also think Dr Pepper sucks)

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular

there are infinite universes

Yeah, but what if you are infinitely dead?

impossible. with infinite universes, there lies infinite possibilities

It could be an infinite set of universes where you're always dead.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
This discussion has been closed.