Options

New [movie] thread, same as the old one. New Bill and Ted, out soon!

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    My biggest problem with Aquaman was that there was only one remotely sympathetic character/actor, and it was Black Manta

I've mentioned before that I consider Momoa an absolute charisma void, and Amber Heard was much the same here (I think the only time I've ever liked her is All The Boys Love Mandy Lane)

Patrick Wilson did good work, but as an absolute bastard of a villain, and I love Defoe but they didn't give him any material to work with

All that combined with the movie taking the superhero third act CGI problems to new depths really just left me bored by the end of it

Edit: Specific spoilery stuff to elaborate on some of my thoughts
    Aquaman killing Black Manta's dad was absolutely heinous

Like, everyone hated Superman killing Zod, I regularly get angry about Bruce's use of force, but this was so much fucking worse, oh my god

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    the sea killed him, Greg

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

This is a great idea and seems like something that could be really useful for some folks.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    the sea killed him, Greg
    Yeah like, I hate that logic

To me it's so much worse than like, killing someone in the heat of battle (as Aquaman also did)

Denying mercy or refusing to save someone that is in your power to save is deeply fucked up

Batman Begins did the same thing and it's one of the many reasons I don't like the Nolan movies

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    God fuck that
    I was just kind of assuming it would go to streaming, this is fucking stupid and irresponsible

I wonder if our local drive through will have it. I checked yesterday and they still exist, but were mostly showing older releases.
    Then again, older releases are mostly what there is right now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/Ri4tQ9xRyoc

I honestly can’t tell if this is a joke or not

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

4 minutes after you posted it's already been struck down for copyright.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    God fuck that
    I was just kind of assuming it would go to streaming, this is fucking stupid and irresponsible

I remember reading a couple of months ago the director saying that essentially the movie wasn't allowed to be released to streaming based off of deals in place before Disney purchased Fox, which is believable and infuriating.

But also I'm assuming if Disney really wanted to, they could probably re-negotiate those rights.

Anyway, if this was a $20 USD VOD/purchase option, I would totally watch it. As it is right now, I'll see it when it inevitably comes out on DVD.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

I'm going to guess this was the SnyderCut(now with butts!)?

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    never die wrote: »
    God fuck that

I remember reading a couple of months ago the director saying that essentially the movie wasn't allowed to be released to streaming based off of deals in place before Disney purchased Fox, which is believable and infuriating.

But also I'm assuming if Disney really wanted to, they could probably re-negotiate those rights.

Anyway, if this was a $20 USD VOD/purchase option, I would totally watch it. As it is right now, I'll see it when it inevitably comes out on DVD.

Movie theaters are so desperate for new movies that might bring audiences back that re-negotiating any deals that involves exhibitors is probably going to be really difficult right now.

And as gross as it is, they're probably using this as an experiment to compare with Mulan and whatever else to determine how to handle other movies that are ready and just waiting to be released. If nothing else it will likely end up making it easier to justify more VOD releases in the future.

Ketar on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    okay guess it was real

so the Snyder Cut trailer, I swear to god, I SWEAR to god I am not kidding

the Snyder Cut trailer is scored to Leonard Cohen’s Hallejuah

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I didn't even like that song before it became the soundtrack to the least watchable sex scene in history

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    okay guess it was real

so the Snyder Cut trailer, I swear to god, I SWEAR to god I am not kidding

the Snyder Cut trailer is scored to Leonard Cohen’s Hallejuah

jesus christ

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I didn't even like that song before it became the soundtrack to the least watchable sex scene in history

I'msorrywhat

I must have missed an important movie.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

That song was in A History of Violence???

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

It all looks OK except... the villain CGI. I don't understand how big budget films can have such terrible CGI. We're 20 years removed from Spider-Man 1.

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

My wife and I took her mom with us to see that in theaters...

The only more awkward theater experience I've ever had was when my dad took 13 year old me and my best friend to see The Doors the weekend it opened. Right before it started we saw two girls from our class there with one of their fathers. The following Monday at school we acknowledged how incredibly awkward watching it with our dads had been and then immediately started to trying to forget it ever happened.

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »

The only more awkward theater experience I've ever had was when my dad took 13 year old me and my best friend to see The Doors the weekend it opened. Right before it started we saw two girls from our class there with one of their fathers. The following Monday at school we acknowledged how incredibly awkward watching it with our dads had been and then immediately started to trying to forget it ever happened.

Having never seen The Doors, my guess falls under either there was a tremendous amount of drug use or sex in the movie (both?) because fucking duh it was about a band in the 70s and 80s what else would they be doing?

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020

Zack Synder prooves 100% bullet proof to any sort of self-reflection or learning.

I'm not sure if that is a critique or not. His movies always feel like the movies he is trying to make. I'm not gonna say that they are good, but they are interesting at least.

But wonder woman yall

https://youtu.be/XW2E2Fnh52w

Bloods End on
  • Options

Oh you mean the best part of Zack Snyder's Watchmen?

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    can't wait to watch Snyder score a fight scene between Batman and parademons with "Bat Out of Hell"

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    can't wait to watch Snyder score a fight scene between Batman and parademons with "Bat Out of Hell"

Okay well actually this would rule

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Tonight I decided to finally watch Aquaman, the only DCEU movie I haven't seen.

It was terrible!
    Straightzi wrote: »

Oh you mean the best part of Zack Snyder's Watchmen?

these will be exhibits A and B at your trial

Shorty on
  • Options
    It elicits exactly the reaction it is intended to! It's a perfect funny awkward moment in a movie that so frequently misses the mark.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

Guess who has two thumbs and, as a kid, assumed that all Bruce Willis movies were fun action flicks, and rented Color of Night. Sat down to watch it and my parents come home, and sit down to watch what is presumably a fun bit of Willis, only to see far more Willis bits than we assumed. That one was pretty bad.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    speaking of Snyder missing the mark, people should really watch Maggie Mae Fish's series about Snyder. It's interesting film analysis, and made me want to watch the original Dawn of the Dead even though I hate zombie movies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOd6ZYZE5uA

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I so absolutely refuse to believe that Zack Snyder now has or ever has had the werewithal to deliberately film a hysterically terrible farcical sex scene for his cool superhero movie

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    dropping "saves the cat" in the title already puts that analysis in a pretty deep hole

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    probably not fair on my part! still

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I so absolutely refuse to believe that Zack Snyder now has or ever has had the werewithal to deliberately film a hysterically terrible farcical sex scene for his cool superhero movie

I have no idea if it was intentional or not

But the juxtapositioning of the awkward sex and the music and all of the over the top stuff with the Owl Ship

It combines in a way that feels both weirdly authentic to the characters and laughably uncomfortable to watch

I am one hundred percent earnest when I say it is my favorite part of that movie, I think it is fantastic

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Can't wait for Zack Snyder to have a scene where someone points out that Darkseid makes some good points

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Having never seen The Doors, my guess falls under either there was a tremendous amount of drug use or sex in the movie (both?) because fucking duh it was about a band in the 70s and 80s what else would they be doing?

60s and 70s, but yeah. There was plenty of both, but it was the sex scenes that made it so awkward. People dancing around naked and drinking each other's blood while getting into witchcraft. Multiple scenes with Val Kilmer getting blowjobs. Whatever else that none of us were used to seeing while watching a movie with parents.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    God fuck that

So as I understand it there is apparently something in the contract for a lot of the in-development movies Disney picked up during the Fox acquisition that says they HAVE to come out in theaters, and Disney is not allowed to just dump them onto streaming because they’re not “their” movies

This, of course, did not foresee a world where going to a theater is a mortal peril

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna go ahead and say that that is too many characters

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I had seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Dead Calm, and The Doors, various others that were equally inappropriate, all with my parents, all before I'd turned eight. My mom would yell out for me to cover my eyes like, three seconds too late everytime, but that doesn't do shit for the sound, and it's not like I wasn't peeking out between my fingers the whole time because obviously

mrpaku on
  • Options
    I bet a solid half of them die early into the movie, and it's probably not the ones we want.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I bet half of them don’t survive the cold open

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I'm willing to bet guys like Fillion, Dastmalchian and a few others are mostly going to show up for a joke and get killed

This discussion has been closed.