As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Let’s Do The Lockdown Again

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    simply because you disagree with them

If only it were that simple.

Do trans people exist, or are they all just perverted men trying to rape your daughter in a public bathroom who need to be arrested: a respectful debate.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    this is what it looks like when a country is run by people whose primary worry is that they get owned on twitter too much

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Marcus Rashford 'disappointed' by government response on food poverty
    Marcus Rashford said he is disappointed by the government response to his calls for more action on child food poverty.

The footballer said a letter from Education Secretary Gavin Williamson showed "a lack of empathy... towards protecting our most vulnerable".

Mr Williamson said the government was committed to supporting those in need, but did not fully back his Child Food Poverty taskforce.
    A government response lacking empathy? Gosh.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    this is what it looks like when a country is run by people whose primary worry is that they get owned on twitter too much

it would be "getting voted out", but they've taken care of that.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Tim is the political editor for The Sunday Times.

Fucking hell this is bleak. Expect Ofcom to suddenly gain new powers which they'll rigourously enforce against anything anti government or vaguely left wing.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    simply because you disagree with them

If only it were that simple.

Do trans people exist, or are they all just perverted men trying to rape your daughter in a public bathroom who need to be arrested: a respectful debate.
    Primary schools are enabled and encouraged to cover LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) content if they consider it age appropriate to do so. Secondary schools should include LGBT content.

When doing so, schools should ensure:
    LGBT-relevant knowledge and examples are included throughout programmes of study (not one-off teaching)
    inclusive language is used, considering how individual pupils may relate to particular topics
    each that bullying is behaviour:
    by an individual or group
    repeated over time
    which intentionally hurts another individual or group
    which can be either physical and/or emotional
    Teach that bullying is not the same as arguing with friends. Explain that bullying might be motivated by actual differences between children, or perceived differences.
    So JK Rowling is a bully but also we can't cancel her because

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

I legit had to double check I was in the right thread, that's the kind of thing I'd expect to see in American textbooks.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Charles Moore is also a real shithead

Daily Telegraph columnist and authorised Maggie Thatcher biographer

• Options
    Also IIRC he once refused to pay his TV license because of some stupid crap or the other, and publicly took the fine instead

So basically the BBC Chairman... refused to pay the TV license? And thinks the BBC has a super left-wing bias? God this fucking country. What a cunt.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Anglo sphere is fucked and fucking everyone else up..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Only tiny silver lining that I can find:

First time I've seen Labour take a lead like that, Tories had a 26 point lead in March.

Not that this does us any good right now though....

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    So schools have to teach kids that disagreeing with bigots is rude and unfair and TV regulation is taken over by a right wing shithead? Cool.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Gleichschaltung is one of the usual steps in fascist takeovers

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gleichschaltung
    was in Nazi terminology the process of Nazification by which Adolf Hitler and the Nazi Party successively established a system of totalitarian control and coordination over all aspects of German society and societies occupied by Nazi Germany "from the economy and trade associations to the media, culture and education"

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Only tiny silver lining that I can find:

First time I've seen Labour take a lead like that, Tories had a 26 point lead in March.

Not that this does us any good right now though....

Thanks Jeremy

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I find myself worrying that this country is sliding into fascism. Then I worry that we're already there and I just haven't noticed. Then I feel like I'm being paranoid. Then I worry if me feeling paranoid is intentional.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I find myself worrying that this country is sliding into fascism. Then I worry that we're already there and I just haven't noticed. Then I feel like I'm being paranoid. Then I worry if me feeling paranoid is intentional.

At least you have confusion on the issue.

Unlike our American friends, where there's no doubt.

• Options
    We're "just" in the most obvious example of crony Toryism that we've had for a long time, with an astonishing level of incompetence from the gov during a time of national crisis

Dido Harding (who famously lost all that private data) in charge of the public's data as head of test and trace, Charles Moore (who hates the BBC) as BBC Chairman...

The only thing we need now is for Boris to put Prince Andrew in charge of catching sex criminals and we'll have a full set. Absolutely mad.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    At what point do we move from living in a democracy to a regime? With the above move, we're already at the point where they can exercise control over the media as shoving the editor of the daily fucking mail in charge of the regulator is a clear signal of intent. They've put 'their man' into the state broadcaster. We have teaching guidance which is basically tory doctrine. From May onwards there have been power grabs such as the Henry VIII powers and the intention to remove anything that constrains executive power in any way. I don't even need to mention the attacks on the judicary for pushing back against it.

They're pushing a pro-brexit agenda on the country and condeming anyone that would speak out against it. Some roles already basically have 'loyalty tests' to the cause of brexit. How long before it's mandatory across the board?

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    It’s a terrible, terrible government but it was voted in democratically, so let’s keep the talk about fascism and inevitable slide into a junta to an absolute minimum, thanks.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    It does bear repeating however that the amount of power they wield is highly disproportionate to their share of the vote. Namely that they wield near absolute power on the back of 43.6% of the vote. While some discrepancy is natural and expected, the outcome in this insance and what they're doing with it is not representative of the public's opinion. That FPTP is awful goes without saying. My concern is that the traditional restraints on power (namely a few gentleman's agreements and wishful thinking) are nowhere near strong enough to stop this government abusing power.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    It’s a terrible, terrible government but it was voted in democratically, so let’s keep the talk about fascism and inevitable slide into a junta to an absolute minimum, thanks.

When is the last time one wasn't voted in democratically.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    eEK!eEK! Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

When is the last time one wasn't voted in democratically.

November 2019...

Also I've got to agree with Bogart here as well, its worth remembering that this is actually how British politics functions under majority governments, as we don't really have checks and balances (just a few speed bumps) and the state can freely suppress opposition, influence public opinion and push though contentious policies. Sometimes this is allows positive change, like the creation of the NHS and other times it allows negative change like Thatcher crushing the Unions, but it isn't actually unusual or necessarily fascist.

eEK! on
  • Options
    We do have very strong enforcement of some norms in the form of the Speaker

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular

I really don't think being voted in precludes fascism taking hold.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    But it also doesn’t mean that a government voted into a massive majority doing things to benefit itself is a precursor to fascism either.

Neither appointment has been confirmed and the panel that oversees them hasn’t started to examine them. Yesterday a poll came out that put Labour ahead, instantly this story is fed to the press and everyone shits their pants and the public conversation changes to this and the government sits back smirking at how they owned the libs again.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I think a desire to rile up the left is a more plausible explanation

These aren't direct political appointments, there's a whole process involving an independent panel that would have to be rigged or bypassed to accomplish this, with no indication that is being attempted

Plus, the rumours themselves are only vaguely attributed to "Downing Street sources" which in the present climate has come to basically mean information fed by Cummings to friendly journalists

I'm firmly in "disregard anything without attribution" mode these days, because it's entirely clear that there are journos out there who are just repeating what someone in government is telling them without making any attempt to verify it or assess its plausibility

japan on
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    I'm talking less about their cronyism here, and more about the banning of any criticism of the govt. within the education system.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    Mr.WangtangMr.Wangtang Registered User regular
    With the way the education system has been hung out to dry recently I think any adherence to this new diktat will be with a nod and a wink at best.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    "And today we will talk about the possible signs of rising fascism" *pulls out the new guidelines while smiling*

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Luckily, capitalism itself is the best anti-capitalist material

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    The teaching material thing is a bit odd

It's not general guidance for schools, it's specifically related to the relationship, sex and health component of the statutory curriculum

As far as I can tell, it also pertains to the use of material produced by organisations which hold extreme stances, and goes on to define "extreme" in a fairly ham fisted way, rather than saying that teaching material can't contain or refer to these stances

I don't know if there actually are any anti-capitalist groups that produce material pertinent to the relationships, sex, and health curriculum

I say odd because I don't think there will be any practical effect of the guidance, and I definitely don't think it'll do what people are concerned it might, but it's such a bizarre thing to include in the context in which it appears it's really hard to tell if it's just some poorly thought through boiler plate or if it actually is something sinister

japan on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

It's not general guidance for schools, it's specifically related to the relationship, sex and health component of the statutory curriculum

As far as I can tell, it also pertains to the use of material produced by organisations which hold extreme stances, and goes on to define "extreme" in a fairly ham fisted way, rather than saying that teaching material can't contain or refer to these stances

I don't know if there actually are any anti-capitalist groups that produce material pertinent to the relationships, sex, and health curriculum

I say odd because I don't think there will be any practical effect of the guidance, and I definitely don't think it'll do what people are concerned it might, but it's such a bizarre thing to include in the context in which it appears it's really hard to tell if it's just some poorly thought through boiler plate or if it actually is something sinister

Does that mean teachers are mandated to teach about sex work?

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

Could just be another thing designed to produce a guardian headline to piss off the libs. That seems to be this governments priority #1.

• Options
    Tried to download the app but it only works on iOS 13.5 or later. My iPhone 6 makes me immune from the virus, I’m sure.

• Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    Tried to download the app but it only works on iOS 13.5 or later. My iPhone 6 makes me immune from the virus, I’m sure.

I'm not even a mobile developer, but when I write mobile apps I make sure they work on the oldest hardware I can get my hands on. None of my efforts could be considered important to the health of the nation.

If this restriction is not due to specific hardware requirements, somebody should be fired right now.

Fired? Ahahaha, yeah right ...

• Options
    The Irish and Scottish apps are the same, because they really on a specific Bluetooth API that was added as part of iOS 13.5.

There's a similar restriction on the equivalent Google API but I think it was implemented for older phones.

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Re OFCOM: not only is the chair not a political appointment, its remit is mostly delightfully arcane technical matters

Ofcom's decisions are made by a Board. Not the Chairman alone. And much of its work consists of regulating telecoms and post in accordance with competition law. Technical stuff about local loop unbundling and mobile call termination. Interesting if you like that kind of thing.

(Dinah Rose QC is a barrister)

Which makes a nice distracting headline for press but really sounds like some sort of personal hell for someone like Dacre.

Huggles on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

I'm one of the five people still on a windows phone so I'm like double immune I reckon

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
This discussion has been closed.