As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Let’s Do The Lockdown Again

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Schools should be the highest priority, but yeah, that seems to be too soon.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Someone somewhere has set their red lines, and they'll do every other restriction they can before they touch the schools.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Someone somewhere has set their red lines, and they'll do every other restriction they can before they touch the schools.

Which I can understand from a theoretical perspective. Education, especially of the younger ages, is vitally important, and also with the young, harder to accomplish properly via distance learning.

Education should absolutely have priority over other aspects, especially recreational ones (pubs/restaurants/clubs/sports).

The problem is, it's clearly not going to be enough. The clusterfuckery that is thhe governmental response, and the lack of societal responsibility of self-entitled people, means that any attempt to open schools and minimize infection rates looks to be doomed from the start.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Which to my mind is the right decision. Much more time out of schools is going to be serious ongoing life outcome harm to a lot of kids.

The absolute no brainer to me that they seem unwilling to even consider is banning non-emergency air travel. Planes could almost be custom designed for super spreader events. It just isn't worth the risk.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Life is going to be pretty wank if all you can do is sit at home and take solace that hey at least the kids are at school

• Options
    Which to my mind is the right decision. Much more time out of schools is going to be serious ongoing life outcome harm to a lot of kids.

The absolute no brainer to me that they seem unwilling to even consider is banning non-emergency air travel. Planes could almost be custom designed for super spreader events. It just isn't worth the risk.

They're aware that travel companies are hanging on by their fingertips, they don't really want to step on their hands now.
    Much better to just tell everyone to self-isolate for two weeks to make sure they don't spread the virus. After all, what are the odds that someone will ignore their two weeks self-imposed quarantine and go on a pub crawl, spreading the virus to countless people?

Seriously though, I can see the logic they're using even if I don't agree with their conclusions. The problem is that relaxing restrictions relies on people using common sense, which isn't common enough.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Let's say, for example, that they close gyms

Well they have to extend furlough for gyms. And they desperately don't want to do that. So we will see half arsed efforts fail until the situation gets so out of control that we'll have another big lockdown

They didn't want to do it before, same thing. The government is too incompetent; they can't get test and trace right and they can't get the measures right, they failed to maintain public trust and made critical errors like letting people go on their jollies abroad.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Updated restrictions for Covid:
    • Office workers should work from home again where possible
    • From Thursday, all pubs, bars and restaurants must be table service only and close at 10pm - but delivery services can remain open
    • The requirement to wear a face covering has been extended to staff in retail, people in taxis and everyone using hospitality services
    • Fines for not wearing a face covering will now double to £200 for a first offence
    • Only 15 people can now attend weddings but 30 can go to a funeral
    • The rule of six has been extended to indoor sports teams
    • Phased reopening of stadiums for sports clubs has been cancelled

All these are in place for the next six months. Seems pretty minimal in terms of changes?

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    There absolutely needs to be a priority list for what can/should remain open during covid outbreaks.

Obviously emergency services, food distribution, power, and other things we can't live without must remain fully operational at all times.

Schools should be one of the last things to close.

The problem is that a lot of governments are unwilling to close the less important stuff (e.g., bars) leading to the inevitable outcome that we will have to close the schools and may risk losing some of the necessities (hospitals fulls, entire fire departments in quarantine, etc.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    More locally there also needs to be priorities.

As an example, I'm a professor at a university here in Norway. I will gladly have home office indefinitely if it means that my PhD students can keep using the lab when they need it.

From least to most important:
    1. Office work (incl. research that can be done in the office)
    2. Lectures
    3. Help with assignments
    4. Lab assignments
    5. Lab research

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    But the furlough scheme is ending soon so hey ho here come the mass redundancies.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I can't see how these changes will make any difference at all.

It's the worst of both worlds, they've not done enough to slow the spread which in theory would lead to everything re opening sooner but they've made changes that will massively damage certain sectors of the economy.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2020

Why have other countries, like Italy & Germany, recovered better?

PM: "There is a difference between our country and others. Ours is a freedom-loving country... It's very difficult to ask the British population uniformly to obey guidelines in the way that is necessary".

DM reporter (spit) but quoted for the relevant info. The reason it's spiking is that we're too British.

Bogart on
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

PM: "There is a difference between our country and others. Ours is a freedom-loving country... It's very difficult to ask the British population uniformly to obey guidelines in the way that is necessary".

DM reporter (spit) but quoted for the relevant info. The reason it's spiking is that we're too British.

...mumble, mumble... Blitz spirit... mumble mumble...

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

If there's one thing Italians are known for, it's orderliness.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

But everyone will be able to handle Brexit like it was the Blitz, an event notable for it's lack of rules on behavior.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Number of schools sending home pupils in Covid cases quadruples
    The number of schools in England sending home groups of pupils because of Covid-19 incidents has quadrupled in a week, according to the latest official figures.

Based on attendance last Thursday, they show 4% of schools not fully open because of confirmed or suspected cases - up from 1% the previous week.

This could mean about 900 schools sending home pupils.

Overall attendance has also dipped slightly from 88% to 87%.

This means over a million children were off school that day, whether from Covid-related or other reasons, with more pupils missing from secondary schools than primary.

The fall in attendance should "ring alarm bells" for the government, said Paul Whiteman, leader of the National Association of Head Teachers.
    "Clearly the failure of Covid testing sits at the heart of this. The inability of staff and families to successfully get tested when they display symptoms means that schools are struggling with staffing, children are missing school, and ultimately that children's education is being needlessly disrupted," said Mr Whiteman.
    I'm sure it won't get any worse than this, though.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    'Because we're weak.' doesn't have quite the ring to it.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

That's certainly the kind of thing I'd be keeping in my back pocket for the next time he regurgitates some utter drivel about the 'blitz spirit' or makes any allusion to people coming together to get something (he wants) done, were I in the business of asking Boris questions...

sig.gif
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    "freedom loving country" in that context sounds awfully like "selfish and inconsiderate of others" in normal speak.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Updated restrictions for Covid:
    • Office workers should work from home again where possible
    • From Thursday, all pubs, bars and restaurants must be table service only and close at 10pm - but delivery services can remain open
    • The requirement to wear a face covering has been extended to staff in retail, people in taxis and everyone using hospitality services
    • Fines for not wearing a face covering will now double to £200 for a first offence
    • Only 15 people can now attend weddings but 30 can go to a funeral
    • The rule of six has been extended to indoor sports teams
    • Phased reopening of stadiums for sports clubs has been cancelled

All these are in place for the next six months. Seems pretty minimal in terms of changes?

Scotland has banned the mixing of households indoors, same rule as NI currently has.
    I expect we'll see something similar in England in a week or so.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    "Freedom loving county"...

What utter pish. Listen, if we're going to just wholesale copy the American playbook and have an ideology based around a phrase designed to conjure up some vague ideal, pride and good feels to shut off critical thinking can we at least, I dunno, come up with our own? The USA has "Freedum Fries" pretty locked down and since most of us have spent a lifetime watching Hollywood propaganda if he starts putting "freedom" into every speech we aren't going start waving little Union Jacks, the Pavlovian response will kick in and we'll jump to our feet, hands on hearts and start singing "The Star Spangled Banner".

I'm just upset by the laziness of this more than anything. I want my own propaganda damn it, not American hand-me-downs. Like "Sort of Democratic But Also A Hereditary Monarchy Cornish Pasties" or something.

"Once Every Five Years We'll Sort Of Listen To You But Not Really Innovative Jam"

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

Currently, the UK is more.. American than anything European.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular

Yeah, it does seem difficult to ask the population to uniformly obey the guidelines, when the government won't uniformly follow the guidelines of international relations. ("Specific and limited")

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    best synonym I can think of is liberty. Has the advantage of making your average US conservative have a fit because "libruls".

How about:
    There is a difference between our country and others.
    British people take their civil liberties very seriously, almost as much as they do their leisure.
    That reminds me of this one time where Gove, ever the quaint minstrel, gave our fraternity's corgi a weekend's worth of cocaine.
    It went through 5 fences before drowning in the Thames, what a ledge!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

What utter pish. Listen, if we're going to just wholesale copy the American playbook and have an ideology based around a phrase designed to conjure up some vague ideal, pride and good feels to shut off critical thinking can we at least, I dunno, come up with our own? The USA has "Freedum Fries" pretty locked down and since most of us have spent a lifetime watching Hollywood propaganda if he starts putting "freedom" into every speech we aren't going start waving little Union Jacks, the Pavlovian response will kick in and we'll jump to our feet, hands on hearts and start singing "The Star Spangled Banner".

I'm just upset by the laziness of this more than anything. I want my own propaganda damn it, not American hand-me-downs. Like "Sort of Democratic But Also A Hereditary Monarchy Cornish Pasties" or something.

"Once Every Five Years We'll Sort Of Listen To You But Not Really Innovative Jam"

The song you will sing shall be My Country, 'Tis Of Thee.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Bake Off has been delayed for Johnson's address

He's gone too far this time

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    That was the equivalent of a meeting that could have been an email - more referring to the rules than actually laying them out clearly, and just a load of rhetoric about doing the right thing

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Britannica, fuck yeah!

You guys wanna borrow an AR and take a piss on healthcare to own the lib dems?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Regular reminder of the upcoming Brexit related catastrofuck coming soon:

Joe is a reporter for Bloomberg.

Further tweets in the chain talk about how the government's messaging is now about blaming the hauling companies and the EU for any issues.

All of this during Covid part 2....

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm starting to feel like there will not be adequate food

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Reminds me of the take two problems and they answer each other.

COVID and lack of adequate food...

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

I don't know if That Is The Joke, but they already sing that, but with different words.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I don't know if That Is The Joke, but they already sing that, but with different words.

Yes. That is the joke.

Also, it was the US national anthem before The Star Spangled Banner.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I think of the Raj Koothrapali version:

"My country 'tis of thee
    La la la liberty
    It's really great..."

• Options
    I'm starting to feel like there will not be adequate food

I believe your government will fulfill its promise of adequate food.

They'll just redefine "adequate" and "food".

• Options
    I'm sure I've quoted The Simpsons on this before:

"Don't worry. We have plenty of supplies to get through tomorrow. And then a wave of disease should help to - Hey! Stop streaming over the wall! At least wait till I'm through talking. Okay. Now as for food, the following breeds of dog are edible..."

• Options
    They could also just issue one loaf of dwarf bread to every citizen. No one will ever run out of food again!

Though of course that runs the risk that the loaves be used in an uprising.

Maybe they'll just go with unleavened dwarf bread.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Regular reminder of the upcoming Brexit related catastrofuck coming soon:

Joe is a reporter for Bloomberg.

Further tweets in the chain talk about how the government's messaging is now about blaming the hauling companies and the EU for any issues.

All of this during Covid part 2....

At 4 trucks/minute (so a process every 15 seconds) that line is almost 1 and 1/4 days long

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    They are more interested in making sure they get ahead of the blame than doing literally anything to alleviate the catastrophe they have created.

This discussion has been closed.