As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Supreme Court Vacancy

• Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    NBC news

Feinstein out there playing 5d Stratego

I'm curious at this point... does she know something we don't?

Is it possible she has spoke with some other Senators, and there's a "backroom agreement" of some kind?

I mean, I wouldn't trust anything from the lot of them... but her being that nice is kind of suspicious..

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    There's nothing suspicious about it, Feinstein is a useless pile of loving norms and politeness

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Selner wrote: »
    NBC news

Feinstein out there playing 5d Stratego

I'm curious at this point... does she know something we don't?

Is it possible she has spoke with some other Senators, and there's a "backroom agreement" of some kind?

I mean, I wouldn't trust anything from the lot of them... but her being that nice is kind of suspicious..

Not really she's been a fuckin idiot for a decade or more now.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Edit- in response to the totp

No she's trying to return to the supposed days of reaching across the aisle. Never mind that those days are a myth and the party she's trying to reach to doesn't exist anymore, replaced by fascists.

There was no yelling. No tears. So she's just so happy that things are civil.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Feinstein has class loyalty and youre not her class

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    she was nicer to lindsay graham and ACB than she was to the children who asked her to make sure they wouldn't die in the climate wars

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Feinstein despises everyone to her left because they're a credible threat to her in an electoral sense. She buddies up with people on the right because that's who she spends the most time with at work and because that's who she tries to appeal to in a contested race. The people of California should recall her for her absolute failure to serve their interests time and time again.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »
    They established that rules years ago and no one did shit so Whitehouse can miss me with the "well youll get eveything you want, but you have no idea how bad you look bro"

So, let me get this straight. A Democrat finally stood side by side with what you have been wanting them to say for, like, a bajillion threads and now its not good enough and he can fuck off.

Like, why should you ever be a demographic that a politician should seek to back? Nothing will satisfy you.

Being frustrated by the current situation constantly is the only way to progress incrementally.

Is it? That does not seem to be what's moving the needle here. McConnell and the GOP's constant shitty behaviour is what's building support for things like court expansion and killing the filibuster.

Yelling at people doing the thing you want just generally seems silly.

No one has done anything yet though, is the thing

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    They established that rules years ago and no one did shit so Whitehouse can miss me with the "well youll get eveything you want, but you have no idea how bad you look bro"

So, let me get this straight. A Democrat finally stood side by side with what you have been wanting them to say for, like, a bajillion threads and now its not good enough and he can fuck off.

Like, why should you ever be a demographic that a politician should seek to back? Nothing will satisfy you.

Being frustrated by the current situation constantly is the only way to progress incrementally.

Is it? That does not seem to be what's moving the needle here. McConnell and the GOP's constant shitty behaviour is what's building support for things like court expansion and killing the filibuster.

Not much the Dems can do here beyond procedural stalling.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Not much the Dems can do here beyond procedural stalling.

No one said they could, just that it’s not inappropriate to withhold praise for something that hasn’t happened yet.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Im not entirely up on my Dem Senate practices, but if they take the Senate she is likely the chair of the judicial committee yes?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    She would be in line for that. Which would be a disaster. So should call your Senators to pressure them on this front on November 4. Or earlier.

Demand Justice, the main center-left activist group called for her replacement in the next Congress about an hour ago.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Assumes she lives that long. Being that lax around COVID precautions at 87 isn't a death sentence but it's not exactly doing her any favors either.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I guess I'm fine Whitehouse's mini-speech. "Don't come crying to me about what we'll do later." Ok. What are you going to do later? The answer seems to be open ended. A 15 Justice Supreme Court? A non-binding resolution to honor RBG in some way? A stern lecture to voters about needing to vote? Nobody knows.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Elki wrote: »
    I guess I'm fine Whitehouse's mini-speech. "Don't come crying to me about what we'll do later." Ok. What are you going to do later? The answer seems to be open ended. A 15 Justice Supreme Court? A non-binding resolution to honor RBG in some way? A stern lecture to voters about needing to vote? Nobody knows.

Comfortable betting Whitehouse is for expansion, but they're not going to commit to it until they have the presidency and a majority in both Houses for it. Because if you try that and lose, it's real bad.

• Options
    Been burned too many times for "theres probably a plan lets wait and see what happens"

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I don't think they have that majority yet, for sure. There's a bunch of old useless Democrats who think the GOP can be reasoned with, led by Feinstein. Coons is another.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    There's nothing suspicious about it, Feinstein is a useless pile of loving norms and politeness

Maybe that's why she was the only Senator that Obama endorsed in 2018. :rotate:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Been burned too many times for "theres probably a plan lets wait and see what happens"

Senator Markey:
    Mitch McConnell set the precedent. No Supreme Court vacancies filled in an election year. If he violates it, when Democrats control the Senate in the next Congress, we must abolish the filibuster and expand the Supreme Court.

Feinstein will probably be against it because she's a dipshit who's in office as a living demonstration of incumbency bias. I assume Manchin will be against as well. The question is going to come down to do the Dems get the Senate, and if so by how much

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

Sure they have. We were just talking about the thing that was done. It's what Styro was whinging about and we were discussing why that's very silly.

shryke on
  • Options

Sure they have. We were just talking about the thing that was done. It's what Styro was whinging about and we were discussing why that's very silly.

What thing that was done

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Maybe that's why she was the only Senator that Obama endorsed in 2018. :rotate:

This is...not true? Like not only did Obama apparently endorse five Senate races in 2018, Feinstein wasn't even one of them.

Okay, Ballotpedia confusingly does not include primary endorsements, but still.

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Feinstein is past her time. But she won't leave, she's been given power and prestige and she refuses to let go. It happens to everyone. They all end up that way, even the ones that start good.

Insert "rbg should have fucking retired a decade ago" here.

I don't mean to be ageist, but there should be an age limit on congress. I don't want to single out Feinstein, but maybe 200 years should be the max?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    It's not ageist to want people to serve their time and gracefully retire.

Working until you die should be shameful culturally.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Oh man I forgot that shit.
    Former President Barack Obama endorsed Sen. Dianne Feinstein on Friday, his first Senate endorsement of the 2018 cycle.... "She's always been an indispensable leader for California, and we became dear friends and partners in the fight to guarantee affordable healthcare and economic opportunity for everybody; to protect our planet from climate change, and our kids from gun violence," Obama said in a statement. "I ask Californians to join me in supporting Dianne Feinstein's reelection and returning one of America's most effective champions for progress to the Senate."

God, that's hilarious.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    I don't know if her capacity is diminished, the main reason I think difi (and any elected democrat over 65) should retire is just down to the fact that somebody younger is going to have to take the reigns eventually and it's real dumb to just wait until you keel over

stupidly enough the GOP seems to understand this fact which is why the average age of their congressional leadership is ten years less than dems'

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    I don't know if her capacity is diminished, the main reason I think difi (and any elected democrat over 65) should retire is just down to the fact that somebody younger is going to have to take the reigns eventually and it's real dumb to just wait until you keel over

stupidly enough the GOP seems to understand this fact which is why the average age of their congressional leadership is ten years less than dems'

I think part of that is also that they're mostly insufferable and the ones who didn't get tea partied quit out of annoyance. (See: Paul Ryan)

• Options
    yes it is also true that their politics necessarily result in more competitive primaries

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

This is also because Republican leadership get in, grift hard, then peace out before people start asking too many questions about how they got so rich on a salary that is nowhere near enough to reach that level

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Selner wrote: »
    At this point, with her confirmation a fait accompli, I'd like to know what, if anything, is gonna be done if Democrats have three 3 branches next year. Yes, she's a horrible jurist who will stand in opposition to all progress, and will in fact set us back in many areas, and because of that [???].

You mean 2 branches, right? Congress is just one branch.
    To get the 3rd, the Dems will need to seat four more judges.

No one is going to be impeaching any SC judges. You can only try and drown out their voices.

Yes, 2. I shouldn't have said branches, I meant the trifecta required for expanding the courts.

What happens when Republicans sue against whatever law that the Dems pass to expand the courts and it goes to the courts for ruling?

Then I look forward to hearing what the judgment of the 15 seat Supreme Court decides on that issue.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Senior politics writer at HuffPo:

Someone on Judiciary is displeased and wants her job but doesn't want to be publicly identified. Klobuchar or Whitehouse, probably?

• Options
    Even with the damage trump has done to the federal judiciary you'd struggle to reach the Supreme Court on it anyway.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Because it's clearly a power of Congress to expand the courts if they want.

• Options
    Dem senators and staffers were pretty clear going into this that she wasnt ready.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Senior politics writer at HuffPo:

Someone on Judiciary is displeased and wants her job but doesn't want to be publicly identified. Klobuchar or Whitehouse, probably?

I think these, and the previous ones, have been some of the most vicious quotes I’ve seen about a sitting Democratic senator from colleagues over senate business (presidential runs don’t count).

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Even with the damage trump has done to the federal judiciary you'd struggle to reach the Supreme Court on it anyway.

Anything can get to SCOTUS if people keep appealing.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The problem with getting rid of DiFi is that apparently Californians like her. She's a generally reliable center left vote in the Senate and is good in many areas. She's not like a Manchin or a Sinema.

It's just that when she sucks, she really sucks. She's very old school liberal, in the same vein as Pelosi. Which is not what you want when you're trying to play procedural chess with people like fucking McConnell.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    I mean, last time she faces a serious primary challenge the state political machine rallied hard around her to make it hard for her opponent to raise money. "California loves Feinstein" comes with a loaded premise.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    spool32 wrote: »
    [
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    The problem with getting rid of DiFi is that apparently Californians like her. She's a generally reliable center left vote in the Senate and is good in many areas. She's not like a Manchin or a Sinema.

It's just that when she sucks, she really sucks. She's very old school liberal, in the same vein as Pelosi. Which is not what you want when you're trying to play procedural chess with people like fucking McConnell.

She's a Californian institution at this point, but the kind you can't throw money at to rebuild once it's crumbling.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Anything can get to SCOTUS if people keep appealing.

That video of Whitehouse's speech really should be mandatory viewing I think. It clearly shows how the system gets manipulated.