Options

[2020 ELECTION] THREAD OF WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FORK

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Out here on the west coast (at least in Portland), the two things aren't even competing. Trump's town hall is on tape delay. Biden's isn't.

As a Euro, what is tape delay?

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Handkor wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Do we know if the people for the town hall have been groomed and curated? I assume Trump will only get softballs and rant for 2h.

He got softballs at the last one and still fucked them up. Like dude could whiff on a teaball set up.

Frankly just being on air ranting is bad for him. We keep seeing stories about "How are the ratings..." but we already know that everybody will be watching for Trump for self-immolation. It'd be nice for him to be asked something that he considers "nasty".

Maybe someone will look him in the eyes and start their question with: "My mother died of COVID last week..."

He is absolutely terrified of this format.

Biden should ask that the final debate also be townhall.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Mom was tested twice this month, took 12 hours both times

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Out here on the west coast (at least in Portland), the two things aren't even competing. Trump's town hall is on tape delay. Biden's isn't.

If someone does a swear they have a couple of seconds to bleep it before it gets to viewers. Stuff like that.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

If someone does a swear they have a couple of seconds to bleep it before it gets to viewers. Stuff like that.

That's one form of tape delay.

The other form, more traditional in the US, is that Pacific Time (the West Coast) will tape delay things to account for the 3 hour time zone shift from the East Coast. So, like, if this starts at 9PM EST, it would be live at 6PM PST. So they record it and replay it. It's pretty common on the big networks.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I think in this case, he means that the Biden one is broadcast live in every timezone (so airing at 8pm eastern would mean 5pm pacific), whereas Trump's would be airing at 8pm in each time zone, so live in eastern, then a few hours later in the other time zones (although eastern and central usually share broadcast regions, so it may be live in both of those).

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

It's a 'live' broadcast that was recorded earlier in the day.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

It can either be a few second delay if someone swears / pulls put their dick / etc so they can censor it, or taped and played an hour or two later for different time zones.

US is big so a 9:00 east coast thing might get pushed back an hour or two for prime time west coast. More of a thing in the past before the internet.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    For the record, both have started.

Biden's being asked by Stephanopolous on how you can contain the pandemic without hurting the economy.

Trump, for as long as I turned it on, was questioning the effectiveness of masks.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Do we know if the people for the town hall have been groomed and curated? I assume Trump will only get softballs and rant for 2h.

He got softballs at the last one and still fucked them up. Like dude could whiff on a teaball set up.

Frankly just being on air ranting is bad for him. We keep seeing stories about "How are the ratings..." but we already know that everybody will be watching for Trump for self-immolation. It'd be nice for him to be asked something that he considers "nasty".

Maybe someone will look him in the eyes and start their question with: "My mother died of COVID last week..."

He is absolutely terrified of this format.

Biden should ask that the final debate also be townhall.

Biden already did.

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Biden's being asked by Stephanopolous on how you can contain the pandemic without hurting the economy.

By closing the door before that horse bolts.

• Options
    Goddamn, ABC, how many Republicans are you going to use to grill Biden with?

Good on Biden pulling out a card with details on the repeal of Trump's tax cuts so he quotes the right numbers.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Trump definitely did not get tested the day of the debate

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Goddamn, ABC, how many Republicans are you going to use to grill Biden with?

Good on Biden pulling out a card with details on the repeal of Trump's tax cuts so he quotes the right numbers.

Biden's campaign is heavily invested in appearing friendly to Republicans, so this is probably exactly what he wants.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Trump is now also going to bat for QAnon and suggesting there might be a satanic pedophile cult.

Trump, asked to denounce/disavow QAnon, says he knows nothing about it, then adds, "I do know they are very much against pedophilia. They fight it very hard." Bonkers.

Guthrie: "But there is not a satanic pedophile cult."
    Trump: "I have no idea."
    Guthrie: "You don't know that?"
    Trump: "No I don't know that. And neither do you know that."
    Remember when they pretended Trump had denounced QAnon?

Edit: Yup, Trump is just doubling down on all his conspiracy theories.
    Trump challenged on his retweet of the bonkers conspiracy theory about Obama, Seal Team Six and Osama bin Laden: "That was a RETWEET. That was an opinion of somebody. And that was a retweet. I'll put it out there. People can decide."

Trump is incapable of shooting himself in the foot even with the most softball questions possible.

Couscous on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Town halls are typically "undecideds", which this year means "Republicans who kinda don't like Trump."

• Options
    Ew, commercial breaks. Ah well.

Biden's making sure to follow up each segment by asking the person if he answered the question to their satisfaction. I can feel him just wanting to keep going on with each person one on one.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Trump is now also going to bat for QAnon and suggesting there might be a satanic pedophile cult.

Trump, asked to denounce/disavow QAnon, says he knows nothing about it, then adds, "I do know they are very much against pedophilia. They fight it very hard." Bonkers.

The gaslighting is getting more and more blatant.

• Options
    And now Biden's being asked by a left-wing progressive college student how voting for him won't damage the progressive movement.

Biden's rattling off the incremental changes he wants to make, in schools and other things.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

The gaslighting is getting more and more blatant.

What Donald Trump says has not really ever had much relationship with why people are voting for him, just provided they read the emotion (hate, superiority) off of him.

The problem I have with people who point to one specific thing as why he's lost their support is I just can't fathom how they had it in the first place.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    And now Biden's being asked by a left-wing progressive college student how voting for him won't damage the progressive movement.

Biden's rattling off the incremental changes he wants to make, in schools and other things.

I mean it probably will somewhat damage the progressive movement to have Biden as President, but one hell of a lot less than having Trump as President.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »

I mean it probably will somewhat damage the progressive movement to have Biden as President, but one hell of a lot less than having Trump as President.

Damage how? Like what's the framing here? How does having a democrat left leaning president hurt a movement for leftists?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Oh wow, didn't realize the questioner was black. I wasn't directly watching, only listening. And Biden is getting fired up about redlining and wealth not getting to people.

Edit: A republican voter just asked about the Crime Bill and how he stood for it now.

Athenor on
  • Options

Damage how? Like what's the framing here? How does having a democrat left leaning president hurt a movement for leftists?

Doesn't lean enough, I guess.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular

I mean he's not going to push a full progressive agenda. He'll do some of the stuff, and is unlikely to undo existing progressive stuff. SCOTUS will undo as much as it can, though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I guess I'm confused how does that hurt progressive causes? Like Biden isn't going to restrict leftists from voting, and his campaign has shown he'll move leftward on policies, so again I'm confused how electing him damages progressive causes.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Stephanopolous just asked if Biden still believes more police reduces crime.

Biden said "yes, if they are community policing and not jump squads." Like not even a heartbeat of hesitation. He's been pretty much ready for every single question, framing it in more than just a sound byte.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    And then the next questioner is a white republican woman who voted for Trump in 2016, whose main issue as a voter right now happens to be "his thoughts on the 1994 crime bill which discriminated against minorities"...Right...

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    And then the next questioner is a white republican woman who voted for Trump in 2016, whose main issue as a voter right now happens to be "his thoughts on the 1994 crime bill which discriminated against minorities"...Right...

I'm sure she cares deeply for honest reasons.

• Options

Man she must have come from an ohio diner. There are five NYT reporters waiting to pick her brain after this town hall for such a brave question.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

I expect President Biden to say progressive goals are unrealistic and silly as much as candidate Biden did. That kind of doesn't matter because nothing progressive is getting past our terrible government, but also it kind of does

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    +2 for Biden. Super easy, barely an inconvenience.

No line but a steadying trickle of people. In addition to to drive through voting, most early vote locations in Harris County have curbside voting - handicap spots have a buzzer and someone will bring a ballot to you. (Not needing it, we didn't use it)

Tomanta on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    tinwhiskers was warned for this.

Man she must have come from an ohio diner. There are five NYT reporters waiting to pick her brain after this town hall for such a brave question.

Also, and I know this is bad but...she sorta looks like Trump in drag. Obviously fake tanned, way over worked hair,, face structure isn't that dissimilar...like I could see it as an SNL sketch.

ceres on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Coinage wrote: »

I expect President Biden to say progressive goals are unrealistic and silly as much as candidate Biden did. That kind of doesn't matter because nothing progressive is getting past our terrible government, but also it kind of does

How does that damage the progressive movement though? Like he won't advocate for all of their policies but he's not diametrically opposed to progressive policies unlike the current occupant, and again he encourages people to vote instead of the opposite so I don't see how he damages anything if he's elected outside of some accelerationist framing that after 4 years of Trump should be shown to the bullshit it is.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    Not improving something as fast as would be ideal is not the same as damaging it.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I guess I'm confused how does that hurt progressive causes? Like Biden isn't going to restrict leftists from voting, and his campaign has shown he'll move leftward on policies, so again I'm confused how electing him damages progressive causes.

Well, there are the people who want to burn everything down. For them, Trump is great because he’s so awful. Under Trump, America will finally realize just how horrible capitalism is, the system will come crashing down, and America will weep with gratitude as the far left implements all of the good policies that America really wants but keeps voting against because they’re misled by bad leaders and a complicit media. A competent Democrat in power will delay the fall.

Beyond that, I got nothing.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    It's a town hall, it's a place for people with anxieties to ask the president to reassure their anxieties. The question from a self-described progressive is no dumber or smarter than any other question that gets asked at these things.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Biden, on discussing policing and specifically the need for de-escalation, absolutely repeated the "shoot em in the leg" line

So

That's great

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Ahh, here we go, court packing question for Biden.

Edit: He's now explaining why he isn't answering the question - framing it as Trump trying to blur things. He is explaining why he is not a fan of Court Packing, saying it's going to matter how things are handled.

Athenor on
  • Options
    It's a town hall, it's a place for people with anxieties to ask the president to reassure their anxieties. The question from a self-described progressive is no dumber or smarter than any other question that gets asked at these things.

Questions can be bad, that other questions are equally bad doesn't make something that doesn't make sense a good question. I mean I'd say the same if someone asked Biden how can his presidency prevent aliens from invading.

I'd like to know how someone believes electing Biden harms progressives.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.