As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[2020 ELECTION] THREAD OF WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FORK

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I am glad I didn't watch this but man the crazy uncle statement is damn good.
    Pres. Trump: “That was a retweet, I’ll put it out there. People can decide for themselves.”

@SavannahGuthrie
    : “I don’t get that. You’re the president. You’re not, like, someone’s crazy uncle who can just retweet whatever.” #TrumpTownHall

MSNBC is a "news" network. Video of the President being called the country's crazy uncle.

Samantha Guthrie nailed him hard with that.

So, is "It was just a retweet" the new "I'm just asking questions..."?

Man, he just sounds desperate there.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    From a WaPo reporter.
    "Somebody said to me the other day, ‘You’re the most famous person in the world by far,’” President Trump says. "I said, ‘No I’m not, no I’m not.' They said, ‘Yes you are.' I said, ‘Nope.' They said, ‘Who’s more famous?' I said, ‘Jesus Christ.’"

Damn, that’s really good. Showing you’re humble by saying you’re famous, but not as famous as Jesus because you’re not a megalomaniac. Also, that the quality you associate most strongly with him is fame.

He’s a natural, and we’ll never see another like him.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Still gobsmacked by the Trump campaign deciding to shit on Mr. Rogers.

They continue to be the absolute dumbest people around. A great example as to what happens when you surround yourself almost exclusively with sycophants, and no one with any actual ability to do, well, anything.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    In the minds of Pubs, showing compassion and empthay for your fellow man (as Mr. Rogers, and incidentally Jesus, did) is a sign of weakness. They revere the strong man asshole facade a la Putin and innumerable other dictators.
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I am glad I didn't watch this but man the crazy uncle statement is damn good.

Pres. Trump: “That was a retweet, I’ll put it out there. People can decide for themselves.”

@SavannahGuthrie
    : “I don’t get that. You’re the president. You’re not, like, someone’s crazy uncle who can just retweet whatever.” #TrumpTownHall

MSNBC is a "news" network. Video of the President being called the country's crazy uncle.

Samantha Guthrie nailed him hard with that.

The crazy uncle who creeps on his niece when she's a teenager wearing a bathing suit, according to Dr. Mary Trump.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Trump director of communications

President Trump hits final stretch with strength, resources, record & huge ground game needed to spread message and secure re-election.

Campaign, RNC & joint committees in September:

$247.8M raised
    $251.4M cash on hand

POTUS has done more in 47 months than Biden in 47 years.

Man Biden alone outraised Trump and the RNC, no wonder they are cutting spending.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    It's a town hall, it's a place for people with anxieties to ask the president to reassure their anxieties. The question from a self-described progressive is no dumber or smarter than any other question that gets asked at these things.

Questions can be bad, that other questions are equally bad doesn't make something that doesn't make sense a good question. I mean I'd say the same if someone asked Biden how can his presidency prevent aliens from invading.

I'd like to know how someone believes electing Biden harms progressives.

I think it stems from the attempts to win over Republicans upset with Trump. The concern is, if Biden wins the presidency, the Democrats will believe that is the winning strategy and begin catering more to the right and Republicans rather than progressives and the left leaning portion of the party.

what if it is the winning strategy.

then we're left with one conservative party and one blood-and-soil death cult party, and nobody in office to advocate for anything left of center-right

i have no problem letting the Democratic party become the de facto conservative party if they can be replaced by an actual leftist party, but that ain't happening anytime soon

I cannot imagine anyone think of the Democrats as a conservative party, even in a future where a national unity party emerges.

it's this extremely childish notion that anyone who only mostly agrees with me is no better than someone i completely disagree with

progressives move the Democratic Party and the Overton Window (granting the spurious notion it exists) to the left every single election and then a subset cry about how the Democratic Party is no better than Republicans when it comes to progressive issues because they won't promise to burn down all of western society and replace it with a utopian commune

Given that y'all have run off every poster who's tried to come in here and represent the leftist position by posting stuff like the above and generally calling them whiny babies it feels pretty shitty that y'all are still flogging that dead horse with no one left to offer the other side of the debate.

Pretty sure there are still plenty of leftists here. I've felt in the past that the militant leftists here have run off all the centrists, but I doubt that's really true either.

sig.gif
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    From a WaPo reporter.
    "Somebody said to me the other day, ‘You’re the most famous person in the world by far,’” President Trump says. "I said, ‘No I’m not, no I’m not.' They said, ‘Yes you are.' I said, ‘Nope.' They said, ‘Who’s more famous?' I said, ‘Jesus Christ.’"

Damn, that’s really good. Showing you’re humble by saying you’re famous, but not as famous as Jesus because you’re not a megalomaniac. Also, that the quality you associate most strongly with him is fame.

Take that Beatles

• Options
    From a WaPo reporter.

No sir, god damn it what's the point of a sir story without a god damn sir? ARE YOU NOT A SHOWMAN!?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    From a WaPo reporter.

Can we get that guaranteed?

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Yeah how inhuman and out of touch do you have to be to think comparing someone to Mister Rogers is a sick burn?

Fox News pundits and Conservatives in general have always despised Rogers. They see his kindness and compassion as a weakness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iljhDaowoLc

There's a satirical essay on an ancient website that purports to explain why people who disagree with you politically are so evil/stupid. It starts by laying out the following points (paraphrased)
    1. Ancient humans survived by avoiding Bad Things
    2. Avoiding Bad Things requires the ability to feel pain and fear, so those things got selected for
    3. Almost everyone feels both pain and fear, but most of us are more sensitive to one or the other
    4. People who are more sensitive to pain tend to lean liberal, while people who are more sensitive to fear tend to lean conservative
    5. Both kinds of people are necessary, because each compensates for the other's blind spots
    6. But because each side's worldview is heavily biased toward the other's blind spots, they are mutually incomprehensible

Fifteen years and countless articles, analyses, and thinkpieces by Very Smart People later, it's still the single best explanation I've ever seen for the political and cultural divide.

Link, in case anyone's curious (again, this entire website is satire and neither it nor I am claiming any kind of authority here): https://prettyfedup.tcb13.com/pfu/corporationssocietycurrentevents/liberals&conservatives.htm

(on mobile; formatting list by trial-and-error; please stand by)

Calica on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    From a WaPo reporter.

No sir, god damn it what's the point of a sir story without a god damn sir? ARE YOU NOT A SHOWMAN!?

Not gonna lie, I was looking for the "Sir" and sir-prised and even a little disappointed when I didn't find it.

• Options
    From a WaPo reporter.

Not gonna lie, I was looking for the "Sir" and sir-prised and even a little disappointed when I didn't find it.
    "Somebody said to me the other day 'Sir I'm a liberal and you're the best president ever sir, and You’re the most famous person in the world by far,’” President Trump says. "I said, ‘No I’m not, no I’m not.' They said, ‘Yes you are.' I said, ‘Nope.' They said, ‘Who’s more famous?' I said, ‘Jesus Christ.’"

There I have fixed it for reality.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    It's a town hall, it's a place for people with anxieties to ask the president to reassure their anxieties. The question from a self-described progressive is no dumber or smarter than any other question that gets asked at these things.

Questions can be bad, that other questions are equally bad doesn't make something that doesn't make sense a good question. I mean I'd say the same if someone asked Biden how can his presidency prevent aliens from invading.

I think it stems from the attempts to win over Republicans upset with Trump. The concern is, if Biden wins the presidency, the Democrats will believe that is the winning strategy and begin catering more to the right and Republicans rather than progressives and the left leaning portion of the party.

then we're left with one conservative party and one blood-and-soil death cult party, and nobody in office to advocate for anything left of center-right

i have no problem letting the Democratic party become the de facto conservative party if they can be replaced by an actual leftist party, but that ain't happening anytime soon

I cannot imagine anyone think of the Democrats as a conservative party, even in a future where a national unity party emerges.

it's this extremely childish notion that anyone who only mostly agrees with me is no better than someone i completely disagree with

progressives move the Democratic Party and the Overton Window (granting the spurious notion it exists) to the left every single election and then a subset cry about how the Democratic Party is no better than Republicans when it comes to progressive issues because they won't promise to burn down all of western society and replace it with a utopian commune

Given that y'all have run off every poster who's tried to come in here and represent the leftist position by posting stuff like the above and generally calling them whiny babies it feels pretty shitty that y'all are still flogging that dead horse with no one left to offer the other side of the debate.

Pretty sure there are still plenty of leftists here. I've felt in the past that the militant leftists here have run off all the centrists, but I doubt that's really true either.

No that's the SE++ politics thread. :P

Anyways, all that to say, maybe we could be a little less hostile to the folks who are ostensibly on the same side as us?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    God I just remembered that in the first debate the moderator basically said to Trump "Here's a question about race, but you can talk about whatever."

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »

They continue to be the absolute dumbest people around. A great example as to what happens when you surround yourself almost exclusively with sycophants, and no one with any actual ability to do, well, anything.

Who do you think Mr Rodgers had to save PBS from?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Yeah how inhuman and out of touch do you have to be to think comparing someone to Mister Rogers is a sick burn?

Remember, Fox & Friends literally ran a segment on how Mr. Rogers ruined the millenial generation.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    My dad never let us watch Mr Rogers

Called him a “wimpy old f*g”

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

Sounds like your dad was... something Fred Rogers would probably rather I not say.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Anyways, all that to say, maybe we could be a little less hostile to the folks who are ostensibly on the same side as us?

You're totally not wrong buuuut this is a two way street

Basically learn to Bill and Ted better, ya bunch of jerks (and also me who is also a jerk)

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

Sounds like your dad was... something Fred Rogers would probably rather I not say.

My family is famously shitty

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular

Remember, Fox & Friends literally ran a segment on how Mr. Rogers ruined the millenial generation.

That's the thing, though. Yeah, it's a sick burn to your core demographic... who you DESPERATELY need to expand beyond to win the election.

They keep doubling down on speaking to folks who are already, 100%, going to vote for them. This is not how you win an election where you're currently polling behind in double digits, and high single digits in the states you need to win.

But that's been the story of the campaign. They think they can just run the exact same playbook as last time and win. They've made no effort to expand their appeal.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Trump admin denied California a disaster declaration for the 6 catastrophic wild fires in the state. So "fuck you you vote for democrats" a real uniter that guy.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

Bloomberg guy
    Maine U.S. Senate fundraising

Susan Collins: $8.3 million raised Q3, $25.2 million raised for cycle, $6.6 million cash-on-hand
    https://t.co/97W9tkcCNS

Sara Gideon: $39.4 million raised Q3, $63.6 million raised for cycle, $22.7 million cash-on-hand
    https://t.co/RRiYE1eEVD #mesen https://t.co/Ned01chFM8
    If we accept the common premise that fundraising = grassroot enthusiasm, the grassroots are very enthusiastic about the top of the ticket and most of the competitive Senate candidates

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    The issue being that I imagine most of the grassroots are not necessarily constituents of the people who are getting the money.

I have donated to more Senate campaigns this year than I ever have before. I cannot vote in a single one.

It's me. The awful Californian who's influencing your local politics.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Random things that grabbed me from a week old Pew survey.

Democratic voters expected happiness/relief because of a win is same as it was 4 years ago, only this time they’ll be much angrier because of a loss.

PP_2020.10.09_election-and-voter-attitudes_2-02.png?w=640

The fear gap.

PP_2020.10.09_election-and-voter-attitudes_5-01a.png?w=620

White voters, of both parities, still the most animated group about the election. Unsurprisingly.

PP_2020.10.09_election-and-voter-attitudes_4-02.png?w=549

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2020/10/09/amid-campaign-turmoil-biden-holds-wide-leads-on-coronavirus-unifying-the-country/

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

That's the thing, though. Yeah, it's a sick burn to your core demographic... who you DESPERATELY need to expand beyond to win the election.

They keep doubling down on speaking to folks who are already, 100%, going to vote for them. This is not how you win an election where you're currently polling behind in double digits, and high single digits in the states you need to win.

But that's been the story of the campaign. They think they can just run the exact same playbook as last time and win. They've made no effort to expand their appeal.

Trump has always only wanted to be President of the people that liked him. And it's only gotten worse as time has gone on and he's had to confront doing the actual job stolen for and by him in 2016. And now on top of that he's in his own little bubble being fed only the most soothing facts by the people around him. He can't see past his own base at this point and no longer believes what little information that reaches him that suggests he should.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular

Mr. Rogers was a mountain of a man and I would fight anyone that said otherwise, except that doing so would disappoint Mr. Rogers.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

In normal circumstances, I did run to the conservative side. I learned quickly to shut up about those things because I come here to BS about games, and in most circumstances minds aren't being changed, it's just posting witty quips. But the last 10 years especially has been a horrible escalation of political action and rhetoric from Republicans, I can't really call myself that anymore. The party I had some vestigial fondness for growing doesn't exist in the here and now. If the entire old Bush administration rejects Trump's governance, that's about as bad as it gets. It's not getting fixed with this election alone, but at least America can come down off of suicide watch.

I'll happily argue the merits of American hegemony at a later date, when we aren't wearing our pants on our head.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: If you are a leftie left wing liberal and you want your policies to be more then a pipe dream then you need to support the democrats with every fibre of your being. They may not be able to make them happen right her and right now, but they're the best choice you have for laying the foundation for whatever issues you might have.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: If you are a leftie left wing liberal and you want your policies to be more then a pipe dream then you need to support the democrats with every fibre of your being. They may not be able to make them happen right her and right now, but they're the best choice you have for laying the foundation for whatever issues you might have.

But you don't have to be happy about it.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I'm pretty far left, and I would have preferred Elizabeth Warren to be the Democratic Presidential Nominee, but I'm quite happy to vote for Joe Biden because first and foremost is getting the fascist dipshits out of power. I'm not getting everything I wanted, but I'm getting enough.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Random things that grabbed me from a week old Pew survey.

Democratic voters expected happiness/relief because of a win is same as it was 4 years ago, only this time they’ll be much angrier because of a loss.

PP_2020.10.09_election-and-voter-attitudes_2-02.png?w=640

The fear gap.

PP_2020.10.09_election-and-voter-attitudes_5-01a.png?w=620

White voters, of both parities, still the most animated group about the election. Unsurprisingly.

PP_2020.10.09_election-and-voter-attitudes_4-02.png?w=549

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2020/10/09/amid-campaign-turmoil-biden-holds-wide-leads-on-coronavirus-unifying-the-country/

these guys literally could not find one single black or hispanic or asian voter who is "extremely motivated" to vote trump

but he still thinks he has their love

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

Don't worry, my friends, I want to hurl all of you into a volcano equally.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Trump to suburban women voters: "I let you have the American dream."

Let you? Really? As if women needed your permission for anything? Oh, piss off, you gross deviant troglodyte.

Edit: Yes, I know it's just a thinly veiled dogwhistle in an obvious attempt to appeal to white suburbanite women's racism and inner fear of the 'wrong people' moving into their neighborhoods when he mentions "the American dream".

Raiju on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

I’m not. They shit on goodness. Real goodness. Literally every chance they get. I can only make assumptions, but I assume it’s because real goodness and real morals makes them uncomfortable and potentially harms their ability to try and convince people that they own actual goodness.

Mr. Rogers is exactly the kind of icon of goodness and tolerance that would offend their demonic sensibilities.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Drez wrote: »

I’m not. They shit on goodness. Real goodness. Literally every chance they get. I can only make assumptions, but I assume it’s because real goodness and real morals makes them uncomfortable and potentially harms their ability to try and convince people that they own actual goodness.

Mr. Rogers is exactly the kind of icon of goodness and tolerance that would offend their demonic sensibilities.

"Strong man, good. Love thy neighbor, bad."

Raiju on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I am still reeling at Trumps response to Guthrie explaining QAnon. That whole exchange was insane, up to Guthrie calling Trump our crazy tweeting uncle.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    =/ I know Biden's trying, but he tripped a bit over that transgender protection question. He was trying to be supportive, especially to transgender persons of color, but his stutter came on hard as his mind tried to think of the right words to say, and it came out a bit cringy/muddy. Heart's in the right place, but that'll upset some people.

What exactly was so bad about his response? Asking legitimately, I thought it was fine, but I'm also not the target audience of that question. He didn't seem to say anything I would consider cringy and correctly identified the ladies child as a daughter?

The answer wasn't necessarily bad. It was overall a good answer! But some of the word choices that he used were a little outdated. Little things that if you didn't know to be listening you might not have noticed.

There was something about a person choosing to be (gay or trans? I missed the context of the exact quote) and then another phrase of a person that he knew that was a man that chose to become a woman.

Very cringey for people that actually know much of anything around Trans* and LGBT language and words, but still relatively OK for a 70 something year old who likely didn't really know much about this before, but is obviously trying to learn and trying to be sincere.

Nothing that he said in that answer was necessarily objectionable. It boiled down to essentially, "nobody has the right to tell anybody that they can't exist and be who they want to be". But just some diction and phrasing issues.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    removed for safety.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Ah, yep, I definitely didn't catch that the first listen through. My mistake for missing that then.

This discussion has been closed.