Options

Quit your [job] thread

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    Gotta 86 him
    Henroid wrote: »
    I am explicitly management now. We have a high volume of customer interaction and business for several hours in a row and we need everyone focused doing that. Even when down one person on staff we get pretty screwed over so we really do need all hands on deck doing what they're supposed to.

This one goddamn guy though. I don't understand how he works the hours he does while still being a minor. Like I guess he was pulled out of school and got his GED? Either way you're on the clock at work, so... work. I'm not saying people shouldn't talk / try to have whatever fun they can while on the job. I'm saying they also have to be doing the job. He doesn't. He literally just... wanders off once in a while, abandoning his task and sometimes we don't catch it right away so we fall behind in some way or another when we have to jump in while simultaneously try to get him back to where he's supposed to be.

So realtalk, can you send him home? Like, do you have the authority/permission, and and could you prevent it killing your shift's performance, etc?

When I worked in pizza that was my go-to. Anybody that got on my bad side got whatever side detail I knew annoyed them the most and sent home, basically as soon as I showed up. I had one driver that would always show up late with a 5 o'clock shadow. Uniform policy says clean shaven. He'd go homr and shave, now close to to an hour after his shift would start. I'd let him take one run, so maybe two orders, and when he got back I'd send him home. Thay happened at least once a week.

He was a dip shit that never got it, but also I didn't have to deal with him but for about 20 minutes.

That uniform policy can go get fucked. What a stupid fucking thing to require.

I don't think that's even legal? What are they gonna fire you for being Sikh? Have fun with that lawsuit.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Gotta 86 him
    I am explicitly management now. We have a high volume of customer interaction and business for several hours in a row and we need everyone focused doing that. Even when down one person on staff we get pretty screwed over so we really do need all hands on deck doing what they're supposed to.

This one goddamn guy though. I don't understand how he works the hours he does while still being a minor. Like I guess he was pulled out of school and got his GED? Either way you're on the clock at work, so... work. I'm not saying people shouldn't talk / try to have whatever fun they can while on the job. I'm saying they also have to be doing the job. He doesn't. He literally just... wanders off once in a while, abandoning his task and sometimes we don't catch it right away so we fall behind in some way or another when we have to jump in while simultaneously try to get him back to where he's supposed to be.

So realtalk, can you send him home? Like, do you have the authority/permission, and and could you prevent it killing your shift's performance, etc?

When I worked in pizza that was my go-to. Anybody that got on my bad side got whatever side detail I knew annoyed them the most and sent home, basically as soon as I showed up. I had one driver that would always show up late with a 5 o'clock shadow. Uniform policy says clean shaven. He'd go homr and shave, now close to to an hour after his shift would start. I'd let him take one run, so maybe two orders, and when he got back I'd send him home. Thay happened at least once a week.

He was a dip shit that never got it, but also I didn't have to deal with him but for about 20 minutes.

I don't think that's even legal? What are they gonna fire you for being Sikh? Have fun with that lawsuit.

They can have the clean shaven policy and have a reasonable exemption for someone who is Sikh.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I thought the solution anyway was to just require you to wear a beard net.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    If I applied for a place and they had a "clean-shaven" policy that I was told about during the interview process or afterwards, I would let them know how I feel about that and not proceed. Who knows what the fuck else weird draconic bullshit management is going to pull? It's 2020, it's okay for teachers and doctors to have tattoos now. I ain't want to work for someone trapped in 1919.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Gotta 86 him

They can have the clean shaven policy and have a reasonable exemption for someone who is Sikh.

Yeah, I mean this exists. For context, though, it was Papa John's in like the late 90s early 00s, so at best it was as shitty a policy as they could get away with. Most stores had a disposable bic razor in the bathroom that they'd "require" you to use (which, just, yeah, not even going into that).

But I was an absolute shithead manager who didn't understand class solidarity. I was also like ... 19? 20? at the time? And basically had no business even being in charge of people. I had no business being in charge of myself for that matter.

But sometimes my drivers were even more of a dickhead, and since they made like twice what I made for half the physical labor, I didn't care.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    If I applied for a place and they had a "clean-shaven" policy that I was told about during the interview process or afterwards, I would let them know how I feel about that and not proceed. Who knows what the fuck else weird draconic bullshit management is going to pull? It's 2020, it's okay for teachers and doctors to have tattoos now. I ain't want to work for someone trapped in 1919.

Oh yea, fuck that shit. When I was a bag boy at a local small town store had to wear a white button down, slacks and had to be completely clean shaven, and that was all the men, up through the manager.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Clean shaven policy is such a dated workplace value. Like raggedy ass beards I get RE: cleaning yourself up and them being a possible food safety problem (at minimum, an "ew gross" matter). But completely clean shaven every day, ffs. I would never enforce that on people.

• Options
    Clean shaven policy is such a dated workplace value. Like raggedy ass beards I get RE: cleaning yourself up and them being a possible food safety problem (at minimum, an "ew gross" matter). But completely clean shaven every day, ffs. I would never enforce that on people.

Right? Beard nets exist. We don't make everyone be bald in food service. Keep it clean, keep it protected, everyone is good.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Keep it secret.

Keep it safe.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Keep it secret.

Keep it safe.

Keep it sexy.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Keep it secret.

Keep it safe.

So you want your boss to show up years later in the middle of thr night, shaking you awake, asking about the status of your beard re: its existence not being known about and its general security?

NO

THANK

YOU

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Right? Beard nets exist. We don't make everyone be bald in food service. Keep it clean, keep it protected, everyone is good.
    My current employer offers no beards nets nor hair nets. It pissed me off to learn that.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Mental health levels at work are starting to drop pretty hard.

I know and winter is coming

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    "Whatever, I don't care."

What a weird way to pronounce the phrase, "I'm totally chickenshit"

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

Have you considered tethering him to his station?

Perhaps using some sort of chain and a large metal ball?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    So how about THIS

A Manager in our Stoke office has come down to the Sheffield office to help with the setting up of a bunch of new work laptops for a number of staff, both new and existing

She's therefore gone into the office, met with the Sheffield IT guys, they've built a bunch of laptops, she's gone home. Turns out, someone in her family has Coronavirus. She gets a test. She's asymptomatic but positive.

So all the IT guys in our office have now been exposed (and some have symptoms), and all the laptops they packed up with this manager have gone out to staff. All 30 odd of them. So now they've all been potentially exposed.

CODE RED BIOHAZARD

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Fuck

• Options
    Hilarious

Hopefully nobody will, you know

fucking die

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Wish me luck everyone. Students are returning to the building today. It is going to be a shitshow.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    It’s the last day for our year 12s tomorrow.

I will miss a percentage of them.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

0%?

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

0%?
    Naah, there's probably one that's not completely terrible.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Somewhere between seven and twelve percent of the students are not the worst.

• Options
    DecatusDecatus Registered User regular
    Heading back to campus today at the districts orders. I've been working from home successfully since March 18th. I've never had any issues or missed a day. Students are not returning to campus. There is no actual reason to require teachers to be on campus. Yet, here we are, gathering every day and risking exposure for no fucking reason.

I went to bed at 9pm last night and my anxiety kicked in to high gear. I think I finally passed out around midnight? Woke up at 4:30 from strange ass anxiety dreams, and again at 5:30 when my alarm went off.

A couple schools in my area tried bringing students back recently. They closed within two weeks due to outbreaks. I hope to hell that my district is smart enough to learn from that, but I'm terrified because my district leadership are old white men who don't give a fuck.

PSN: decatus90
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Hilarious

fucking die

Jeez, this doesn't bode well for a new job. I hope it's not indicative of a larger work culture problem at that place.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

But what if the Germans throw a mustard gas cannister in your store and you have to put on your leather gas mask?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    At my job the public facing people have to be cleanshaven, unless they can somehow grow a full mustache overnight. Everything in-between is not allowed.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Solar wrote: »
    Hilarious

fucking die

Jeez, this doesn't bode well for a new job. I hope it's not indicative of a larger work culture problem at that place.

Oh no

This is old job

This is place I am leaving thank christ

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Sorce wrote: »
    At my job the public facing people have to be cleanshaven, unless they can somehow grow a full mustache overnight. Everything in-between is not allowed.

When my sister did military service they had a similar rule that you needed to be cleanshaven or have a proper beard, no in-between.

Some of the guys tried to grow beards when they had a week off but didn't quite get there, so she used makeup to fill our their beards for inspection until they were thick enough to pass.

Flarne on
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I haven’t told this story.

The head boy a few weeks ago, was just giving me grief about something I don’t know what, and I thought to spin the tables, now this time he was telling me how important he was, so I grabbed a year seven and asked him, do you know who the head boy is.

He did not know. Due to COVID, there have been no assemblies, and essentially very little visible stuff for him and the student council to do, so I ran with this hard, I would randomly ask kids when I was near him who the head boy was, at the sports carnival when we had all of the year sevens lined up for the long jump I yelled out, does anyone know who the head boy is. No one could tell me (actually one kid did tell me) who he was and he was not happy.

So then I started doing the reverse, I started getting kids to go up to him and ask him if he was the head boy, apparently doing the reverse also didn’t make him happy either. (The highlight was another student in the background remarking, really? He doesn’t look like a head boy)

My final event was I created missing posters and stuck them on the outside of his English room, that read MISSING, HEAD BOY, LAST SEEN TERM ONE ASSEMBLY, IF SEEN CONTACT HEAD GIRL. These were installed with the blinds down and then I got the teacher to raise them later into the lesson. I now have a picture of him with one of the signs.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I didn't check my work email at all last week, so I was a little anxious heading in this morning. Had the usual "Oh no, you've forgotten how to work" stress dreams that I usually get the last night of a vacation.

So far this morning I spent half an hour pulling morning reserves and half an hour burning through all 95 emails and completing the four action items hiding in among the cruft.

So, uh...lunchtime I guess?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Reminding people that their shit doesn’t matter when they get too big for their britches is a favorite passtime of mine.

I practice on myself pretty much daily, I’ve gotten pretty good at it.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Gotta 86 him

Yeah, I mean this exists. For context, though, it was Papa John's in like the late 90s early 00s, so at best it was as shitty a policy as they could get away with. Most stores had a disposable bic razor in the bathroom that they'd "require" you to use (which, just, yeah, not even going into that).

But I was an absolute shithead manager who didn't understand class solidarity. I was also like ... 19? 20? at the time? And basically had no business even being in charge of people. I had no business being in charge of myself for that matter.

But sometimes my drivers were even more of a dickhead, and since they made like twice what I made for half the physical labor, I didn't care.

If it were to be revealed that John Schnatter had this policy because it predominantly targeted black guys I don't think even one iota of my existence would be even a tiny bit surprised.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    We had to contain a phishing outbreak, and a person who should know better described it as "very sophisticated and hard to spot".

It links to a very generic looking form asking for name, address, ssn, and financial information. Things are randomly capitalized, and most of the words are misspelled. Oh and it asks for "Social Security nUmber" and then below it "Confirm of number Social".

Yes, very sophisticated filling out a form on Godaddy.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    We had to contain a phishing outbreak, and a person who should know better described it as "very sophisticated and hard to spot".

It links to a very generic looking form asking for name, address, ssn, and financial information. Things are randomly capitalized, and most of the words are misspelled. Oh and it asks for "Social Security nUmber" and then below it "Confirm of number Social".

Yes, very sophisticated filling out a form on Godaddy.

Damn those crafty wizards.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I guess some dipshit contractors are fucking around in the alley and turned off all the internet. Cool cool not like I have meetings or anything or people aren't working from home right now.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    SOCIALSECURIUM COLLECTO!!!

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Facebook are deprecating another version of their API at the end of this month so I've had it on my to-do list for a couple of weeks now to quickly go over our apps and make sure none of the changes will break anything. I've been busy with two other projects so needed time where I wouldn't be context-switching and causing issues for myself on those.

Cue me having cleared a giant swathe of time this afternoon and apparently last time they did this I upgraded us from version 3.1 to 7.0 and we're good until 2022.

So I guess it's afternoon nap time?

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

But what if the Germans throw a mustard gas cannister in your store and you have to put on your leather gas mask?

*stares in Portland*

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I have been wearing gloves, a face mask, and a face shield for several hours now. I don’t like it.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

This discussion has been closed.