As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Against Everyone’s Better Judgement The [Movie] Thread is Open

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    bitchy old queen magneto is one of the best things about that series

"We love what you've done with your hair" is ace

I saw somebody on Twitter ask David Hayter what his favorite thing to write in X2 was, and he said Magneto

I'm pretty sure he's talking about lines like that

magneto, but make it pray tell from pose

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The only good part of First Class was Xavier and Erik's romance

Any time the plot wasn't laser focused on them it was miserable trash

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Maddoc wrote: »
    The only good part of First Class was Xavier and Erik's romance

Any time the plot wasn't laser focused on them it was miserable trash

kevin bacon had a lot of fun and I was ok with that

nobody saw anything

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    wrong Kevin

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    wrong Kevin

you saw nothing

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    imo first class's biggest crime was how wrong it did Darwin

I'd say it's more frustrating than bad, because you can see how good it could have been

• Options
    Oh don't forget the woc sex worker who immediately decides to be evil

Wait were those the only two non-white cast members? Probably a coincidence.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

tenor.gif?itemid=3789409

• Options

riptide

but he has no lines

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    And he was also evil

• Options
    After hating First Class I remember giving Days of Future Past a shot and for some reason thinking that maybe they could turn the franchise around and man I have never been so wrong about anything

• Options
    After hating First Class I remember giving Days of Future Past a shot and for some reason thinking that maybe they could turn the franchise around and man I have never been so wrong about anything

it does have that one sick as hell scene though

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Huge Jackedman's butt?

• Options
    I liked Days of Future Past, really

Like it was good enough that I thought maybe they had figured something out

And then they took all of the shit that they had saved up and shit their pants three times as hard immediately after

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Huge Jackedman's butt?

two sick as hell scenes

• Options
    When you threaten to make an 80s period piece with Jubilee, Psylocke, Nightcrawler, and one of my all time favorite villains played by Oscar Isaac (I will always be a sucker for Apocalypse) immediately after an X-Men period piece I thought worked really well, I am going to do the stupid thing and let my hopes get inflated

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    it really seemed like they were onto something with "X-Men through the decades" and then beefed it incredibly hard

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    When you threaten to make an 80s period piece with Jubilee, Psylocke, Nightcrawler, and one of my all time favorite villains played by Oscar Isaac (I will always be a sucker for Apocalypse) immediately after an X-Men period piece I thought worked really well, I am going to do the stupid thing and let my hopes get inflated

Jubilee was in Apocalypse? Fuck me I do not remember that at all.

• Options
    She was a huge part of the marketing!

She basically was not in the movie!

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I really wish Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix could have actually been about the X-Men and not the continuing Xavier/Magneto/Mystique love triangle

They still would have had a lot of issues, but

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    If we're talking about favorite moments in the first X-Men movie, I will happily mention how when Wolverine yells this at Magneto, "You're so full of shit! If you're really so righteous, it'd be you in that thing." Magneto's response is to huff and then levitate away because Wolverine is absolutely right and Magneto has no catty response for Logan's claim.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I often think back on Rogue & Magneto's brief scene of dialogue at the Statue of Liberty.
    Magneto: (staring at the Statue of Liberty) Magnificent, isn't she?
    Rogue: I've seen it.
    Magneto: I first saw her in 1949. America was going to be the land of tolerance. Peace.
    Rogue: Are you going to kill me?
    Magneto: Yes.
    Rogue: Why?
    Magneto: Because there is no land of tolerance. There is no peace. Not here, or anywhere else. Whole families destroyed, simply because they were born different from those in power. Well, after tonight, the world's powerful will be just like us. They will return home as brothers, as mutants. Our cause will be theirs. Your sacrifice will mean our survival. l'll understand if that comes as small consolation.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    I re-watched days of future past and X2 recently and I think the former is probably my favorite

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i think first class has to be my least favorite of them all

i still have to see new mutants

and it is already the worst because of all the problems it is known to have

but i have come too far to not be a completionist

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I really ought to rewatch them all

I thiiink I'd go with the original X-Men as my favorite and either Dark Phoenix or X3 as my least, but several of them I haven't seen since they came out

Still haven't seen New Mutants of course either

And this includes the Wolverine movies but not the Deadpool movies

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i refuse to include the deadpool movies because then i would have to watch the deadpool movies

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Apocalypse might be the one I was most disappointed by

• Options
    I just remembered that they made two entire wolverine movies that I never watched

• Options
    The Wolverine is like 3/4 of a fun movie

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    First Class had the best PG-13 use of the f-bomb of all time.

https://youtu.be/hNFXHgNKwv4?t=137
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I often think back on Rogue & Magneto's brief scene of dialogue at the Statue of Liberty.
    Magneto: (staring at the Statue of Liberty) Magnificent, isn't she?
    Rogue: I've seen it.
    Magneto: I first saw her in 1949. America was going to be the land of tolerance. Peace.
    Rogue: Are you going to kill me?
    Magneto: Yes.
    Rogue: Why?
    Magneto: Because there is no land of tolerance. There is no peace. Not here, or anywhere else. Whole families destroyed, simply because they were born different from those in power. Well, after tonight, the world's powerful will be just like us. They will return home as brothers, as mutants. Our cause will be theirs. Your sacrifice will mean our survival. l'll understand if that comes as small consolation.

And yet he has no comeback when he's called out on his hypocrisy.
    She was a huge part of the marketing!

She basically was not in the movie!

Jubilee getting shafted is cyclical. Happened in X-2 also.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    rip the gifted, my beautiful angsty x-men drama

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I liked Days of Future Past, really

Like it was good enough that I thought maybe they had figured something out

And then they took all of the shit that they had saved up and shit their pants three times as hard immediately after

I thought they had something with DoFP as well but in retrospect the fact that young Magneto doesn't end the movie working with Xavier is a big red flag. The most they had was Xavier and Magneto's undeniable chemistry and the movie even shows that the end of Magneto's story as is will be one of regret. Its so pointless to make him play the part of the villain. They were staring at what could have been the core of the franchise going forward and nobody could see it.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Logan is my favorite X-Men movie and it isn't even close

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    IIRC the was a deleted scene in X-Men that was a kinda clever foreshadowing of Magneto's plan; it was a classroom scene where the kids at the Mansion are learning about early Christianity and how Christians were persecuted until Emperor Constantine converted.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2020
    so, my covid bubble wanted to do a movie night and watch Trial of the Chicago 7 on the weekend.
    I was pretty ehhhh because a) well it's Sorkin and b) I'd heard from others that it was indeed very Sorkin, but figured ok I'll drink beforehand

I'm setting the scene so you know my expectations were at rock fucking bottom, but with that in mind, it was actually ... alright? definitely his best work since A Few Good Men. Not really spoilers but in case you want to go in without knowing much
    The Sorkin of it all: There were bits of the real history which IMO should have been left in, would have made great lines/scenes, but were skipped or moved around. I have some theories on why. The ivy-league Joe-Kennedy-lookalike was the main character, of course, while most of the others were relegated to comic relief (Rubin in particular got cast as a total clown). As far as I know, IRL both prosecutors were pieces of shit govt stooges but of course we have to have a Principled Opponent who is a Good Man on the Wrong Side blurgh whatever. JGL did an ok job with a shit role. They walked all over Hoffman’s character, I assume his grave is a mass of roiled earth, but tbh I was expecting Sorkin to just make him an outright villain. And speeches, speeches everywhere - real spoiler:
    one crucial emotional moment hinges on a grammatical nuance which was almost at the point of self-parody.

The pros: There was more focus on Fred Hampton and Bobby Seale than I expected (but again my expectations were fucking low). Not enough, but it got me excited for Judas and the Black Messiah. People really need to hire Sascha Baren Cohen for more actual movie roles, he's much more valuable as a character actor than when he's doing his own bullshit - anyway he made an A+ Abby Hoffman. And while there was a lot of dancing around whether the political institutions of america are inherently biased and undemocratic, the film as a whole was much less of a wishy-washy liberal take than I had feared.

basically this is the movie you show to your liberal-but-what-about-property-damage-parents to nudge them to the side of BLM.

tynic on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    Special K wrote: »
    Kringle just inspired me to watch a Friday 13th movie out of curiosity. I'm sure I've seen the first (but I don't remember it), and I've definitely seen the most recent with Jamie Lee Curtis.

I watched Jason X.

Hahaha, holy shit - that was waaaay more fun than I expected it to be.

"Yeah, that'll do it.".

this is an attack

x3t05umdk5kl.jpeg

Oh my Gods I laughed at this for way too long

She gave that interviewer that look until he died.

It took 7 seconds.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I still have never seen any X-men after Days of Future Past

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I still have never seen any X-men after Days of Future Past

You... aren't really missing anything, and I say this as someone who's favorite comics are the X-men ones. I can't in any good faith recommend Apocalypse or Dark Phoenix unless you love the source material. There's nuggets of neat tidbits, but by and large, train wrecks.

Literally in DP's case.

The only film I've never seen is Origins: Wolverine, because I don't hate myself that much.

Though the other day I happened to catch the post-credits scene, and... it was kind of creepy, whether unintentionally or not? It was... Ryan Reynolds as not-Deadpool's severed head?

wVEsyIc.png
This discussion has been closed.