As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Against Everyone’s Better Judgement The [Movie] Thread is Open

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    just watched The Addams Family again for the first time in years, what a fun movie

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I watched both the Addams Family movies last night and discovered baby David Krumholtz is in the sequel, already just leaning right into what his whole career would basically be. The whole of Addams Family Values was basically me going, "hold on, is that..." for the entire run time.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    I watched both the Addams Family movies last night and discovered baby David Krumholtz is in the sequel, already just leaning right into what his whole career would basically be. The whole of Addams Family Values was basically me going, "hold on, is that..." for the entire run time.

Same, we watched AFV for the first time last week (though I haven't seen the first one still), lots of pre-cameos, like Cynthia Nixon as a prospective nanny, and Christine Baranski as the camp leader.

As a first-timer to the Addams Family, I finally get why people are such fans; it's really just a fun, cartoony movie with a great cast, particularly Julia, Huston and Ricci. I could just watch those three doing their thing for hours.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    My sister-in-law was up from Australia last year where Halloween is barely a thing, so we rolled through absolutely every PG-13-ish spooky movie we could, Adams Family and Beetlejuice were keepers, and was surprised how well Casper still holds up how good James Horners score is.

I'm kind of burnt out this year from movies, but Haunting of Bly Manor helped fill the spoopin hole.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    just watched The Addams Family again for the first time in years, what a fun movie

it is! raul julia and christopher lloyd specifically are just having a complete blast

julia's delivery on something as simple as "first, the old business!" is just so extra

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i can't watch the addams family without also watching adams family values

and addams family values is a thanksgiving movie

so i gotta wait til after halloween to dipping into those two again

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    but they're both also not halloween or thanksgiving movies so you can also watch them whenever

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Yeah it's not a Christmas movie like Die Hard, you can watch it whenever you want.

• Options
    i have my rules and i cannot break them

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Hey RK! Make a rock so heavy you can't lift it!

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Make a burrito so spicy you can't eat it!

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Find a lady cover so sad even you can't enjoy it!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I dunno how is wearing a mask over your sick fuckin wet ass fuckin face holes during a fuckin cough sneeze aerial slime plague a partisan issue

I'm confused. Are you saying that this sort of aid is opposed by democrats? The original post made it sound like 911 aid was a right wing partisan issue.

I'm genuinely asking here.

It’s a safe issue that can win bipartisan support. Like I said, it is worthy and yes the GOP were the responsible party for denying the aid. There’s nothing wrong with supporting it in isolation.

But it is also the kind of issue that you can support and have a warm conversation with your Fox-loving uncle about. It’s a noncontroversial, appeal to the sane middle, cause that is both genuinely worthy and a part of Stewart’s “The real problem is partisanship” ideology.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Phasen wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    Didn't Kid Rock perform at John Stewarts rally to restore sanity? Man,
    Huh, he did. Also, the 10 year anniversary is in 3 days, I expect a formal apology from Jon

I'd like to think that Jon has retired to relative obscurity based on some reflection of his role in leading to todays politics.

We caused this

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

blasphemer

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    hey remember when Jon Stewart signed a deal to make exclusive timely content for HBO and then he literally never made a single thing

maybe we'll get lucky again with this deal too

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    Didn't Kid Rock perform at John Stewarts rally to restore sanity? Man,
    Huh, he did. Also, the 10 year anniversary is in 3 days, I expect a formal apology from Jon

I'd like to think that Jon has retired to relative obscurity based on some reflection of his role in leading to todays politics.

We caused this

I was coming to post this exact thing. Lol hopefully the format will be different.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Did Jon Stewart somehow become a bad guy overnight?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

He is the definition of ‘enlightenment liberal’

• Options

no, it was around when his last movie came out and I watched it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I will say that he was tougher on the obama administration than nearly everyone else but that's a pretty low bar

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

blasphemer

It's more of a dare to find it as I do not think one exists

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

no, it was around when his last movie came out and I watched it

It’s not so much that he’s a bad person, and more
    that he advocates a failed worldview. His response to the GOP going openly toxic was to hold a mass rally that said the problem was extremism on both sides.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rally_to_Restore_Sanity_and/or_Fear

Like, he literally believed that most of the people on this forum are as bad as Trump supporters because they hold “extreme” views out of step with the “sane” majority.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Neoliberalist centrism.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Neoliberalist centrism.

He’s Exhibit A that the American entertainment industry is not going to save use.

• Options
    I don't wanna defend Stewart's very real problems but I will point out that 10 years ago, it was less obvious what the "other side" was. if you were a fan of Stewart and Colbert, as I was, and went to that rally - as I did! yes! I'll admit it - you almost certainly did not imagine what the right wing was going to look like within a few years

now I haven't heard any of his more recent opinions on the matter and if he still hasn't changed his outlook then, you know, fuck that. but. I don't know. there's a lot of stuff people didn't see coming 10 years ago, even if they acted like the sort of people who would see it

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert were big parts of getting me away from the conservative beliefs I had in high school. I doubt I'm the only one. I've...for sure moved further left than both of them, by this point, and I don't think Stewart is especially well equipped for the current moment. The Rally to Restore Sanity thing is one of the dumbest things he's done, and it only looks worse the further we get away from it, but I doubt being a rich retired person has helped him get more in touch with current events, and it's already increasingly hard for anyone to be fully on top of things.

• Options
    I will again say he has a movie that came out this year if you really wanna see how he feels about the current time

it's extremely bad!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I have no idea what involvement he has had in the move to get healthcare and support for 9/11 firefighters outside of the speeches that went viral, but John Stewart moved me to tears with those speeches. My understanding is that those affected did get (too little, too late) support as a consequence of that campaign and that ain't nothing.

Now get out there John and do the same shit for the rest of the people who are being ground down in the machine. You should not have to risk life and limb to receive a decent healthcare

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    why is he signing up to do John Oliver's thing

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Some of us were clued into how bad the GOP were at the time, the massive human damage they had caused to the world, and the horror of what they wanted to do to if they got the power they wanted in this country. We also liked The Daily Show and considered him an ally.

Being called the real villains by Stewart wasn’t fun.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    anyway I watched The Final Girls tonight. it was fun enough. fairly charming

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    It sounds like Jon Stewart is just misguided, which is a far cry from being actively insane and/or right-wing. I'm pretty sure he has his heart in the right place.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The Daily Show pointing out the horseshit of the Bush administration is one of the reasons I became a liberal instead of a centrist back in my uninquistiive, too cool for politics phase.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Seriously though. Almost every time someone post anything it leads to someone going “well actually you can’t enjoy or look forward to this because of this and this and that”. In a thread discussing movies, it gets fucking exhausting having to take into account every cynical take on a movie.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Seriously though. Almost every time someone post anything it leads to someone going “well actually you can’t enjoy or look forward to this because of this and this and that”. In a thread discussing movies, it gets fucking exhausting having to take into account every cynical take on a movie.

"Hollywood lets a lot of questionable people make a lot questionable shit" isn't really the fault of anyone here

• Options

"Hollywood lets a lot of questionable people make a lot questionable shit" isn't really the fault of anyone here

Agreed, but considering that that point gets brought up almost every time for a new piece of media it should be pretty obvious by now and maybe does not bear repeating every time.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

Agreed, but considering that that point gets brought up almost every time for a new piece of media it should be pretty obvious by now and maybe does not bear repeating every time.

Why doesn't it?

Like, not asking rhetorically. Why should a persistent problem not be persistently mentioned and persistently kept in mind? Who benefits when we don't discuss shitty people that profit from us giving them our money?

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular

We should actually never stop holding problematic people to account.

• Options
    I guess my point is, the world is a shitty enough place with the orange dictator, a pandemic, global warming etc. that sometimes, you could just let people enjoy and discuss their movies somewhat guilt free.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
This discussion has been closed.