As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Yesterday when playing Hades, my 5yo walked by and said it sounded like I was listening to Halloween music.
    Not entirely wrong...and so now we're carving pumpkins and listening to the Hades OST on YouTube (thanks Supergiant games!).

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Wow, thanks for all the suggestions! Just working through some gameplay videos now. I think I will pick Mario Kart up regardless, I think he may have played a different version in the past without all the assists (+ I have been meaning to get it for myself for a while). But looks like there are a few other options worth a try as well. Thanks all!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Alien Isolation is on sale hell yeah!

Cat quest /2 is also on sale but what is the difference between Cat Quest 2 and Cat Quest 2 Pawsome edition?

Alien Isolation is very good and also, no joke, probably the scariest bit of media I have ever experienced. Highly recommended!

I did buy it but yesterday I saw Cat quest was on sale [4 for one 10 for 2} so I got a larger card to get them as well
    I get home after a hard day of work and bought alien isolation as well but went to get Cat quest it went back to it's full price so I really should check when the sales end {it's nice they now do this in the shop} So I can plan it out better than a snap purchase like I did

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    PSA: do not buy Lego City Undercover for the switch. I haven't seen a frame rate this bad since the N64. I don't know who thought it was okay to release a game in this state.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    PSA: do not buy Lego City Undercover for the switch. I haven't seen a frame rate this bad since the N64. I don't know who thought it was okay to release a game in this state.

While I won't go into too much detail (although I'm sure it's probably at this point), but Lego City Undercover was the game they had us practice bug testing for at NoA. No shit, I found 10 bugs not 30' away from the starting area. While it wasn't the final version, it was clearly poorly made and rushed out for launch.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Man, I'm going to be so upset if Sakuna ends up sucking.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    It’s so weird that No More Heroes remasters to just dropped out of nowhere. They seem...reasonably priced, too?

HD remastered is pretty compelling although...I mean speaking for myself, I played that game completely. If it was a sheet cake I pulled every crumb from the pan. So I really can’t bring myself to play it again. And yet if they had gone with adding, like, a boss rush, more clothing options and beam katan variations, that would probably hook me all on its own.

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    No more heroes is another one of those games that NZ wont put on the eshop for reasons and I know there are ways around it but its probably for the best.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    To me, NMH is inseparable from the Wii motions, so it'd have to have major changes to sell me on it again, and this version still has no Heavenly Star, so, pass.
    (To this day, the Wiimote phone calls are still the coolest innovation ever.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    I played all 3 Pikmin games with a Wii remote, aiming wherever I wanted at any time. I'm using the Pro Controller on Switch and it's just not the same.

I hear there are motion control options, I need to check that out later.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

I don't think I'd ever heard of this but I just watched 13 min of gameplay and it looks very charming.

• Options
    vamen wrote: »
    ArcTangent wrote: »

I don't think I'd ever heard of this but I just watched 13 min of gameplay and it looks very charming.

It's by Edelweiss, a quirky little 2-man doujin group that's been around for like twenty years and tries to promote all the actual doujin developers every Comiket, but also always did games that looked shockingly good, even back in 2010. They, like EasyGameStation (Recettear) cashed in huge on the early Steam boom, which got them seemingly a big contract with Marvelous to make Sakuna, but like EasyGameStation, it has really seemed like it had been swallowed by development hell since this fucking thing was announced in like 2013.

Warning signs are definitely there though. It has always appeared to just be one of their previous games (Freesia), but as a basic sidescroller with some farming minigames, and Freesia had a number of issues, but the biggest was that there were a whopping four kinds of enemies (a blob, a floating blob, a medium sized blob, and a large blob)... which is something that all the promos of Sakuna have yet to show otherwise.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    It's kind of wild loading up bastion after spending time in hades.

Like for starters the kid is a brick house and moves just like it. It's probably mostly just animation difference too. The dash vs rolling feel about the same so I suspect my brain is tricking me.

It's still charming as all get out though

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    What actually is a doujin game, like what makes it different from any other indie game

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    What actually is a doujin game, like what makes it different from any other indie game

Self-published. Indy is a pretty close approximation as far as games go, although there are a number of reasons that doesn't really hold well in reference to Japanese game studios. Think more "fan group" than "formal company," although one can certainly become (or is more usually absorbed by) the other.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Hey, Switch thread. With the release of the first two No More Heroes games, some of you might be playing the game for the first time or, as in my case, coming back to the game after a long absence. The tutorial tells you the basics, but it turns out that there are a number of further techniques that the game doesn't really go out of its way to make you aware of that can really speed the stages up. To wit:

- You can empower your Death Blows (the ones where they want you to swipe the right stick in a particular direction) by repeating the input multiple times. For instance, if it says to push right, hit right several times. This will make the swing go wider, potentially killing enemies to the side (for horizontal deathblows) or behind them (for vertical ones). You'll see the Beam Katana glow and emit extra particles if you pull it off.
    - The game has a "just guard" system. If you use the lock on / block button to target an enemy just before their attack lands, you'll see the Beam Katana flash. Hit either katana attack button at this time and Travis will do a counter that usually instantly kills the victim and several enemies nearby.
    - There's another, entirely separate kind of Just Guard called a Dark Side Dodge. If you tap left or right after an enemy attacks into your guard, but only the appropriate direction for that specific attack, the screen will go dark and time will slow down, allowing you to attack several times for free. Usually, the correct direction is away from where the enemy is following through into (i.e. into their blind spot).
    - Most bosses have a "one weird trick" that sets them up for a wrestling finisher. If a boss seems indestructible, it might be worth looking up what combo leads to a guard crush against that enemy. At worst, just remember to vary your attacks and take note of any sequence that leads to a stun.

I tend to hear that No More Heroes has grinding and slow combat, so if you're feeling that way, it might be because you're missing opportunities for instant takedown.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Raybies666 wrote: »
    I played all 3 Pikmin games with a Wii remote, aiming wherever I wanted at any time. I'm using the Pro Controller on Switch and it's just not the same.

I hear there are motion control options, I need to check that out later.

Checked out motion controls with both the Joycons and the pro controller, works pretty well.

Like Splatoon, I find myself resetting the pointer frequently, but it's not a big deal.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Also, this is the game's highest-grossing year yet, and we've still got two months to go.

Nintendo (and their Pokepartners) are making so much money off this.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Pokemon is like the only series from my childhood that has retained it's sheer unrelenting popularity.

A lot of stuff is still around but it's not nearly as big as pokemon is and continues to be.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    Pokemon is like the only series from my childhood that has retained it's sheer unrelenting popularity.

A lot of stuff is still around but it's not nearly as big as pokemon is and continues to be.

Pokemon and Weird Al. Those are the only two things from your childhood that are still around and completely unchanged.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Weird Al continues to be a national treasure.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

Pokemon and Weird Al. Those are the only two things from your childhood that are still around and completely unchanged.

dRfCKzV.png

MOUSTACHE AND GLASSES LOST

ts5GdXF.png

FATNESS LOST

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

And even more popular. I think his latest album was his best-selling one.

Though that was back in 2014. He seems to be mostly retired from making new parodies/originals based on specific styles.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Sailor Moon and DBZ haven't waned much. If anything, Crystal sucking has made the original even more popular.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

I feel like maybe Transformers belongs in the conversation, maybe? Unless we're going to hold the gap between G1 and G2 against it...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

Something that just hit my lizard brain about this statement. I said this under the personal opinion of somebody born in the 80's. But fucking hell if this doesn't apply to anybody born in that 30-40 year span.

And now I just reminded myself and you all that the 80's were 40 years ago. Have fun with that.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Something that just hit my lizard brain about this statement. I said this under the personal opinion of somebody born in the 80's. But fucking hell if this doesn't apply to anybody born in that 30-40 year span.

And now I just reminded myself and you all that the 80's were 40 years ago. Have fun with that.

Parts of the 80s, thank you very much. :P

• Options
    skeldare wrote: »

Huh. Wonder if that's a hint Borderlands 3 is coming to Switch? I'd be surprised if they went to the effort to do that DLC and then not do the sequel it sets up.

• Options
    edited November 2020

I feel like maybe Transformers belongs in the conversation, maybe? Unless we're going to hold the gap between G1 and G2 against it...

Michael Bay obliterated the soul of Transformers. Yes, his movies were beyond successful, but they were Transformers in name only. Compare his garbage films to 1986 Transformers the Movie, which featured Weird Al. :)

He did the same thing to TMNT.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I played all 3 Pikmin games with a
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Michael Bay obliterated the soul of Transformers. Yes, his movies were beyond successful, but they were Transformers in name only. Compare his garbage films to 1986 Transformers the Movie, which featured Weird Al. :)

I liked the first Bayformers, it entertained me far more than it should have.

Which reminds me, I should really play Transformers Devestation, it's been sitting on my xbox for years.

Oh well, back to Pikmin.

• Options
    edited November 2020

Which reminds me, I should really play Transformers Devestation, it's been sitting on my xbox for years.

Oh well, back to Pikmin.

This post confused me longer than it should have. :D

Edit: Wait, what's going on? My reply in your quote? QUOTECEPTION! BRRRRRRNNN!!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Very NSFW, but funny video of Charlie toying with his dogs using Luigi Kart.

https://youtu.be/ZvjNfr9kuVQ

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular

Oh well, back to Pikmin.

Bumblebee is a good kid movie. Bay had little to do with that one I think?

Pikmin is good, I need to get back to that.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Bring back Fat Pikachu

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    Bring back Fat Pikachu

They kinda did in Sword/Shield. It's Gigantamax or whatever form is plump.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    So our house has a new top Switch game that the kids -- 6, 7, and 8 -- all clamor for: Crawl. You guys played that one? One person is the hero, others are the "ghosts" that can trigger traps and spawn and control monsters, and whoever gets the last kill on hero becomes the hero. It's a very clever twist.

I kind of admit that it's not entirely age-appropriate, even with the pixel aesthetic, and I wasn't even planning on having them play it buuuut.... yeah. It kind of just happened, and they're hooked. Plus, in one game, I failed to beat the final boss three times, so my character was consumed and we all lost. And when I say my character was "consumed", I mean my saved profile was erased from the game and I had to make a new "character". That's... actually pretty cool. It has weight without actually losing that much, except my dignity.

And let me tell you, nothing amuses the 6-8 crowd more than seeing Dad lose catastrophically.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    A draft was saved when I was writing something, and then stayed in the comment box messing everything up.
    MNC Dover wrote:
    Oh wow, it happened to you too

Yeah, I did it on purpose this time.

Raybies666 on

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020

I mean, if we're only talking about the movies, then sure. But Transformers, despite ups and downs, has been running fairly steady since 1984.

And even with what you say, I'm sure some of the success of those movies rubbed off on other parts of the brand that aren't as bad.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I do find it funny when people complain about obliterating the 'soul' of a franchise that was originally designed to sell toys.
    The movies were designed to sell tickets, and according to the box office results, they mostly succeeded.

edit: wait this isn't the movie thread. So, how about them Pikmin, huh? They sure do love following astronauts and jumping into water when I didn't want them to.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.