As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quit your [job] thread

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Also, I think I'm just getting paid without having to use any PTO since I was actually tested and quarantined.

That's how we've done it. Also lets them expense it out differently.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I don't know as it was scene missing
    I felt where I fell on my left knee left shoulder and the left check bone I was told I was quite pale
    I have no idea what happened

Both times in my life I have fainted that was how it went for me. Everything is cool and why am I on the floor again? Absolutely beyond disorienting, and disconcerting. I know what caused my two incidents so I never really followed up on it, but it might be worth checking with a doctor if that is something you can realistically do.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    First full week at new job and had a conversation with the CEO that was equal parts pleasant and disturbing. He expressed his desire for me to take on some exciting new projects and technologies in the future "not before you are comfortable" but also he took his mask off for a moment and mentioned "...this COVID crap. I don't believe any of it but whatever..."

So that happened :?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    also he took his mask off for a moment

figuratively and literally, nice :rotate:

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    It's real strange. So last week the IT admin was in my office walking me through the basics and his mask was beneath his nose. It was my literal first day on the job so I was just tolerating it but the CEO (it is a small outfit btw, 150-ish employees) walked by, took notice and told the admin to put his mask above his nose.

He's definitely taking the protocol seriously but I guess to him it's all a dog and pony show?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    a dog and pony show

apropos of nothing, i very much want to see a dog and pony show

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    a dog and pony show

apropos of nothing, i very much want to see a dog and pony show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCsYYm3B6p4

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    thank you jedoc you are gentleman and a scholar and i guess a librarian too

edit: wait that title clearly says HORSE and not PONY i have been swindled

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

Yep, that's been me the past few weeks. In my defense I'm still meeting expectations and there's a pretty big crisis going on in my household. Certainly does not lessen the shame I'm feeling.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    We have now entered the time of year where the people who report to me are asking "what are we supposed to be doing between now and Dec 24?"

And the only real response I have is "fuck if I know. look busy, take longer lunches, stop work earlier, but answer your phone because if I'm calling it's because I've been asked a question by one of my bosses and this is a house of cards."

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I don't know as it was scene missing
    I felt where I fell on my left knee left shoulder and the left check bone I was told I was quite pale
    I have no idea what happened

Both times in my life I have fainted that was how it went for me. Everything is cool and why am I on the floor again? Absolutely beyond disorienting, and disconcerting. I know what caused my two incidents so I never really followed up on it, but it might be worth checking with a doctor if that is something you can realistically do.

The only time I recall fainting was doing a blood draw where I had not eaten enough before or hydrated properly. Was getting woozy they recommended "moving to another room to lay down" (not a good idea), next thing I know on the floor with nothing in between.

As with gnizmo, obvious cause. If you don't know why it happened I echo checking with a doctor if possible, and focusing on sleep/hydration/food. Don't let work fuck you up anymore than it already has

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Closest I've been in recent memory was after I did some real heavy deadlifts. I stood up too fast and got hardcore tunnel vision. I had to sit down for a couple minutes to straighten myself out.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Just found out my cousin has lingering respiratory impairment from covid, can I drone strike Butter's boss?

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Closest I've been in recent memory was after I did some real heavy deadlifts. I stood up too fast and got hardcore tunnel vision. I had to sit down for a couple minutes to straighten myself out.

until recently I thought that was just how everyone felt when they stood up. You know, sit down for a bit, stand up, go completely blind for thirty seconds. The usual.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

until recently I thought that was just how everyone felt when they stood up. You know, sit down for a bit, stand up, go completely blind for thirty seconds. The usual.

well that'd be fucking terrifying

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Not blind but distinctly lightheaded here.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

i get lightheaded and dizzy but my sister would go full twitch collapse if she stood up too fast

there's a reason the whole family is dead now

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    We have had to change the type of benches we are using on one of our project sites from ones with a reclined back type lounger, to ones with the more traditional upright park bench style

why

oh you know

people were using them for fucking on.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Well that's what happens when you design such an erotic landscape

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    We have had to change the type of benches we are using on one of our project sites from ones with a reclined back type lounger, to ones with the more traditional upright park bench style

why

oh you know

You mean heroes

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    It's all the Georgia O'Keeffe flowers that were planted

• Options
    i mean

I certainly would

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular

why

oh you know

They're gonna fuck on the new benches too.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    yeah all you've done is made the fucking less comfortable

Although they say adversity is the mother of invention so maybe you've actually made them all learn to get better at fuckin

Doing the Lord's work

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    augh. just had a (video) interview and...

That's twice now (at least?) that I've blown(?) an interview on the general problem of "what if it goes off-script/you're confronted with something unexpected?" and the specific example of "what if the person you speak to is hostile?" Proof, perhaps, that I'm "sequential to a fault"... but I need to find a workaround for that! Even if I have problems with being truly spontaneous and adaptable*, I can still have something prepared for that predictable case, something I can reach for while my brain catches up!

* and is that really true, or just something I tell myself? could be false narrative... but the fact that it keeps happening seems to be evidence. :(

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »

why

oh you know

They're gonna fuck on the new benches too.

They just have to find the right angle

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    In a month or so Liiya returns to post "they fucked on the bench"

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I just took a phone call that netted us a $10k sale.

• Options
    speaking of park benches, how do people feel about David Cronenberg

4f6dn2pofihx.jpg

• Options
    I like it

• Options
    Got a call from the CEO today asking me if I saw any interesting birds at the weekend, I told him that I had seen the friendly robin that usually comes to say hello to me in the ol woods, fed him some cereal bar as per, he was like "ah delightful"

He also told me that everyone was really happy with how I was picking stuff up and fitting in and suchlike, so that's cool

Strange place to work

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    In a month or so Liiya returns to post "they fucked on the bench"

A month?

I give it like three days.

Trace on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    They fucked on the boat bench

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I just got a request to fill out an exit survey for my job that has the most invasive bullshit questions ever - going so far as to ask who my new employer is, how much money I'll be making, direct comparison of benefits, things like that. I wanted to leave feedback on what I hated about this job but I flat out refuse to give them that kind of information, they can get fucked.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    New Position: Your New Dad
    Salary: $I just love your mom so much
    Benefits: Go to your room.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I just got a request to fill out an exit survey for my job that has the most invasive bullshit questions ever - going so far as to ask who my new employer is, how much money I'll be making, direct comparison of benefits, things like that. I wanted to leave feedback on what I hated about this job but I flat out refuse to give them that kind of information, they can get fucked.

You should cite that mentality as the reason you are lying.

And yeah, just reply that it is none of their business. Or lie.

(Goddamn I hate my phone's autocorrect but I need it too much to turn it off because I fat finger stuff so much.)

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I gotta do a virtual mandatory work safety training thing so I'm getting good and liquored up because if those fuckers are gonna make me sit through an hours worth of "don't stick your whole ass face into 3 ton rolling cylinders or you'll die" they're gonna pay me to be drunk during.

At least I don't have to go in to an actual fucking safety seminar that typically lasts 8 hours on my ding dang day off like usual.

• Options
    Oh that's a good idea. I should take a shot every time I complete a segment on those things. Something to look forward to.

This discussion has been closed.