Options

[Cyberpunk 2077] Delisted on PSN in 2020, post-final release pushed back 57 years

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    i mean the most standard thing u see in adaptations of older visions of the future is an updating of the aesthetic in line with the modern

u see it in star trek, u see it in star wars, u see it in blade runner etc

recent futurisms tend to be read as kitsch. consider the y2k modern: the translucent coloured plastic cases, the imac, etc etc. the other thing is that older rpg sourcebooks tend to have stuff in them that you would usually take it as read is at best going to be politely skated over: weird names, strange author self-insert characters, people with names like johnny silverhand. i think you actually need the understanding that cdpr were genuinely invested in the original product and got the designer on board for the outcome to make sense - and that requires you to be substantially more invested in the details of the project than the average player of games.

EDIT: fwiw i would also say the decision to play it absolutely straight was also extremely good. very often there is a refusal to understand just how powerful execution is; yes, cyberpunk has some stuff in it that is silly in casual description, but almost everybody who has played cp2077 says "damn keanu nailed it johnny was an interesting character" - the lack of irony with respect to the author means that they gave the player no outs via authorial intent - "this world feature is just a joke put in as a contract between a Knowing Author and a Knowing Player". this is absolutely vital to avoid if u want investment in a game like this

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Suriko wrote: »
    dporowski wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »
    Much as I dunk on Cyberpunk (because tbh there is a lot to dunk on, this should've been in the oven at least a year more), one particular thing sticks out to me.

It's surprising just how slavishly the game adheres to the source material. This is the future, of the 80s. It avoids many modern scifi tropes and instead laboriously keeps to the 80s aesthetic, designs, and scifi concepts. I think that's earned it a lot of ire from some quarters who understand the genre of cyberpunk through Ghost in the Shell (which is fantastic in its own right), but little more. The reveal trailer didn't exactly help those expectations I suppose, but still.

I'm really impressed that they stuck to their guns. As many issues as I have with the game, sticking to the source material at a conceptual level has helped give Cyberpunk a unique and cohesive feel, and I'm really happy to see any media take a risk like this rather than conform to contemporary, perhaps less risky, genre concepts.

So I mean, I agree with you, but I also find the surprise a little confusing; why would a game based in a specific RPG property, with the creator of said property consulting, not stick to it?

I mean I am personally surprised it's specifically a successor adventure to the original sourcebook modules, but that's just because holy above and beyond; I was expecting something like Baldur's Gate is to Forgotten Realms. Unless my assumption/understanding of "this is a Cyberpunk 2020 universe RPG" is an outlier? (Or honestly, I guess people could have forgotten the RPG exists...?)

Part of it was being only dimly aware of the sourcebooks (which I'd guess most who're interacting with the game at any level would barely/not know of), but mostly because I largely expected them to "modernise" at least the aesthetic to be more in line with market expectations than leaning into the punk half of cyberpunk.

I'm really glad for it too; as much as I like the sleek, minimalist aesthetic of much sci-fi these days, it's refreshing to see Cyberpunk's colour palette, 80s hairstyles and aesthetics, and cultural tropes fired from a blunderbuss into your face without hesitation.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "yep, that's it", followed by "dammit, I'm old again". I hadn't really followed a damn thing, but when (in the announcement) I saw "Cyberpunk" in the particular text style, and heard what it was, and then saw the concept art, I knew exactly what I was about to get; I absolutely loved the shit out of those books. The modernization they've done (adding cell phones, email, etc) is on the quiet/minor side; more including obvious things that just hadn't really been come up with yet at the time. (Like how Gibson entirely missed the concept of cell phones, and is still kind of mad about it.)

dporowski on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the only good gang is the animals

every time i run into them their schemes are always like "WERE TRYING TO GIVE STEROIDS TO ACTORS"

adn then its just a gym full of huge people called stuff like SHEILA PUNCHMASTER

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    also a bunch of perks that let u aim/shoot pistols while dodging

except u can by default with kereznikov

...????

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    skill shards seem to be 400xp by default. a crafting skill shard took me from 5370 to 5770 crafting xp at level 14 craft

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    guns seem to have random headshot multipliers when crafted and the dps calculation is extremely odd

crafted these 2

they have near-identical damage ranges and added damage, crit chance and damage isnt incorporated into dps but one has 2.75x headshot multi and the other 1.5. however, the one at 1.5 is listed as doing about 50% more damage for no discernible reason (other one was at 750dps before i upgraded it)

what it looks like is a hidden "50% more damage, but reduced headshot damage" modifier is on there

22l1mfg18v0g.png

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    after some more messing around with crafting etc

one of the two epic grenade recipes always produces undissassemblable grenades. why? i think its because i have the projectile launcher

if i equip a grenade, it REMOVES the projectile launcher, not just from the hotkey but from my cyberware loadout entirely (have to go see a ripper). had been wondering why this was

the dps numbers do seem to reflect some hidden variant weapon types - made a few more and saw similar things:

p9tbi8kgo5zb.png

50% diff listed dps despite same damage stats, different headshot multis. worth noting if ur crafting stuff

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    crit chance and damage isnt incorporated into dps

Are you sure about this? Because it being incorporated would seem to explain the numbers you're seeing.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    cckerberos wrote: »
    crit chance and damage isnt incorporated into dps

Are you sure about this? Because it being incorporated would seem to explain the numbers you're seeing.

almost 100% certain for a bunch of reasons but

17gcfuntmb6v.png

i slotted a crit damage mod into this just to check (it was 65% before, but it rolls the values together when u add the mod), no change to displayed dps. all crafted yukis come out 484.6 unless they have a reduced headshot damage multi, in which case they come out with a different higher (but always the same - in this case 565.3) dps

now 565.3 is precisely 1/6th more than 484.6, so again we are back in the world of precise % relationships which makes me think its to do with how the weapons are put together

dians get 30% for the reduced hs, yukis 1/6, zhuos 50%???

buryas seem to be able to get higher base dps vs charge multiplier as well as hs multi, so a high charge multi high hs multi burya has lower listed dps

EDIT: precise demonstration

d8qn2x5hvpa5.png

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    guns seem to have random headshot multipliers when crafted and the dps calculation is extremely odd

crafted these 2

they have near-identical damage ranges and added damage, crit chance and damage isnt incorporated into dps but one has 2.75x headshot multi and the other 1.5. however, the one at 1.5 is listed as doing about 50% more damage for no discernible reason (other one was at 750dps before i upgraded it)

what it looks like is a hidden "50% more damage, but reduced headshot damage" modifier is on there

22l1mfg18v0g.png

Did you find that crafting spec somewhere special, or was it random drop? I love that gun, but I can't find one close to my level.

Also, armor does help, it's just that the game doesn't respect minimalism. There isn't much of a difference between 45.6 and 52.1. However, if you craft 100 armadillo mods with the Crafting tree all kitted out, then you take all the purple ones and shove them into legendary gear with 4 mod slots, you will notice the difference between 45.6 and 952.1. Seriously, go big or go home when it comes to armor. I sit at 4000 base, which jumps up over 5k when combat starts and all the buffs turn on. If you are worried about 5 or 10 points here and there, you're not engaging with the armor system as intended. I wear a pair of ladies office pumps because they are 600 armor higher than what I had, not 6. And they make my calves look fantastic.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    LpQ4Kut.jpg

I want a Denny DLC.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    bought that recipe off a gun vendor, probably Pacifica or centre downtown

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    If you click between guns the damage seems to have a chance to change between the two amounts.

I was wondering why the heck that was

Sometimes the same thing happens when looking at the amount of materials I get from items. An item that normally gives six common materials will sometimes be listed as giving eight if you click back and forth between two items a bunch. No clue what that means.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Crafting feels very half baked in general

Being able to get purple materials from crafting and deconstructing a purple grenade feels weird, especially as it is cheaper to do than using the actual crafting recipe for turning blue materials into purple materials

The perk you can get at max skill only increases the amount crafted items sell for. Which is not a very noticeable increase and won't be changing how many Nekomata you pump out for cash by much.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Has anybody gotten to a point where actually pumping in more points into the perks unlocked at max skill level made sense? Any bonus seems so small that even the stuff I don't really care about makes sense to get instead.

Couscous on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Has anybody gotten to a point where actually pumping in more points into the perks unlocked at max skill level made sense? Any bonus seems so small that even the stuff I don't really care about makes sense to get instead.

The perks by and large are generally boring and it got to a point where I spent my new points on whatever seemed remotely interesting rather than it's description implying any particular benefit to my play style. Crafting is bad because you're allowed to waste points there but STILL need a mammoth amount of resources to do anything with it, particularly at Legendary Level. And even then, my level 20 crafting upgraded pistols left me floundering against the end game enemies. On the other hand my Legendary crafted Katana made mince meat of them.

I'd have preferred fewer perks that had a more obvious and direct impact. There are far too many systems in the game and the crafting side is never balanced. Like you can pick up and buy ammo and even craft ammo, but I never ran out of ammo once in the game. I must've been picking it up off bad guys during looting, but I regularly had 400-500 bullets for my handgun or tech thing that fired laser bolts.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    There is no need for a mammoth amount of resources. You need 3 of the blue crafting item and 1 of the legendary. That's literally it. You craft a legendary panacea, then disassemble it. It gives you back not only your 3 blues and 1 yellow, but also a handful of every other crafting and upgrade material. You should have a 10% chance of crafting for free, so 1 out of 10 panacea crafts will give you more legendary materials.

I started with 50 legendary materials and 15 crafting skill. I stopped at 19 crafting and 250 legendary mats. I just found the legendary spec for that shotgun posted above and I crafted 25 of them until I got one that did fire and had 4 mod slots.

Panacea was the best spec I found because it completely defeats entropy. You get everything back you put into it, plus extra. If you can't craft panacea yet, look around in your menu and see what else you can craft cheap that is legendary.

• Options
    Crafting enough stuff to craft some items is so freaking tedious.

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    I mean nothing says weird crafting mechanics than being able to make a gun out of beer and bullets out of old clothes.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    You can make Arduinos out of jackets and guns from Arduinos

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    That

*Romance*
    Panam sex scene was terrible.

I love it.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    That

*Romance*

I love it.

I giggled at that scene.

It reminded me of Demolition Man except more physical.

• Options
    All the sex scenes are kind of hilariously bad so far

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Newsflash, all sex is two or more people awkwardly humping their sweaty ass bodies together.

• Options
    Is the game crashing a lot more on PC after the latest patch for anyone else or is it probably just my mind playing tricks on me

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Newsflash, all sex is two or more people awkwardly humping their sweaty ass bodies together.

Gross

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Couscous wrote: »
    All the sex scenes are kind of hilariously bad so far

Yeah, it reminded me while graphically games are reaching the uncanny valley, animations and physics still have a long way to go lol.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Replaying the game a second time is like watching a dense movie and noticing all the things you missed the first time (GOSFORD PARK springs to mind) and how everything actually does work in terms of narrative (including narrative beats from one mini/quest spreading to another).

. . .also, I didn't play TW3 on PC at launch (console'd it) but holy god:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HTFZwObr_s

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    I know we are collectively over bug videos, but this one made me giggle.

https://youtu.be/nB8bGG58g54

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Replaying the game a second time is like watching a dense movie and noticing all the things you missed the first time (GOSFORD PARK springs to mind) and how everything actually does work in terms of narrative (including narrative beats from one mini/quest spreading to another).

. . .also, I didn't play TW3 on PC at launch (console'd it) but holy god:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HTFZwObr_s

I did play it at launch. It was...challenging

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    That

*Romance*

I love it.

Way too realistic.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Way too realistic is I was in the apartment to shove clothes into V's stash and went to bed.

He only slept for six hours

2real 4real

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Also just started the Panam quest
    I have a half dozen cars, half of which are armored.

Can we not cruise in the jacked shitty station wagon you crazy lady?

• Options
    Panam likes explosions.

I like explosions.

I like Panam.

It's just science, really.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I guess there is more game after the biochip quest, so I should go ahead and do it?

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    That

*Romance*

I love it.

I giggled at that scene.

It reminded me of Demolition Man except more physical.

The Venus in Furs one was so sudden and hilarious. Only missing some Hot Shots stuff. (NSFW)

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I guess there is more game after the biochip quest, so I should go ahead and do it?

Man I hope you don't mean The Heist. If you do, god damn is there more game.

The actual "point of no return" is utterly unmissable. There's an actual prompt/popup saying "HEY GUESS WHAT THIS IS".

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Since we have the actual thread back, I guess I'll whinge for a while about the endings.
    They're so bad. Totally lacking in character agency, especially with the bomb they decide to drop on you. But then, the game in general isn't really that big on actual agency. The nomad ending is the least bad in that regard, since being inducted into the aldecados makes is reasonable to roll with them afterwards, but you still don't actually get a say in it. Also, the ending that should be the default option, just go in solo guns blazing, is apparently gated and partially hidden for some stupid reason. At least if you give Johnny your body the lack of choice makes sense, though that one's kinda funny in it's own way, with Johnny lamenting about having to let you go despite apparently leaving everything V owned behind immediately and ghosting everyone who knew them.

It also kinda feels like they forgot how they said the boichip worked after a while, cuz the whole 6 months to live thing doesn't really make sense, not to mention how they treat the pills. The thing was supposed to reconfigure your brainmeats to make it a match for the engram mind, but everyone treats it like it's just going to straight murder your body instead after a while. And the fact that Johnny won't die with the body but V will doesn't make sense at all. Like the chip has some sort of metaphysical detector or something. Either your body's rejecting the nanomachines or it isn't, it really shouldn't matter what personality is on the chip if that's what's happening. They just really wanted to make the ending a crappy ham-fisted 'life is what you make it' thing, despite not actually letting you decide what you'll make it. And the pills were initially introduced as methods for slowing down or speeding up the chip overwriting your brain, but they use them as Johnny on/off buttons instead, which is extra silly since they establish pretty much immediately that you have access to Johnny's memories and he can exert a degree of control on your body. from the jump. The story feels as sloppily put together as the rest of the game, which is sad.

• Options
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    Since we have the actual thread back, I guess I'll whinge for a while about the endings.
    They're so bad. Totally lacking in character agency, especially with the bomb they decide to drop on you. But then, the game in general isn't really that big on actual agency. The nomad ending is the least bad in that regard, since being inducted into the aldecados makes is reasonable to roll with them afterwards, but you still don't actually get a say in it. Also, the ending that should be the default option, just go in solo guns blazing, is apparently gated and partially hidden for some stupid reason. At least if you give Johnny your body the lack of choice makes sense, though that one's kinda funny in it's own way, with Johnny lamenting about having to let you go despite apparently leaving everything V owned behind immediately and ghosting everyone who knew them.

It also kinda feels like they forgot how they said the boichip worked after a while, cuz the whole 6 months to live thing doesn't really make sense, not to mention how they treat the pills. The thing was supposed to reconfigure your brainmeats to make it a match for the engram mind, but everyone treats it like it's just going to straight murder your body instead after a while. And the fact that Johnny won't die with the body but V will doesn't make sense at all. Like the chip has some sort of metaphysical detector or something. Either your body's rejecting the nanomachines or it isn't, it really shouldn't matter what personality is on the chip if that's what's happening. They just really wanted to make the ending a crappy ham-fisted 'life is what you make it' thing, despite not actually letting you decide what you'll make it. And the pills were initially introduced as methods for slowing down or speeding up the chip overwriting your brain, but they use them as Johnny on/off buttons instead, which is extra silly since they establish pretty much immediately that you have access to Johnny's memories and he can exert a degree of control on your body. from the jump. The story feels as sloppily put together as the rest of the game, which is sad.

Well, not quite.
    The chip is indeed rewiring you, but specifically to be compatible with "Johnny". Your thought patterns don't fit that wiring/matrix, so while it'll keep doing its thing, with no Johnny, you're still in for a bad time. Just a different bad time, right. So, remove the extra construct, and the nanos are still rewiring you, because they don't know better, but that rewiring is incompatible with the existing personality. And lacking a construct to install otherwise... Whoops.

The pills thing I do have some issues with, but... Eeeeeh, can't say what's "me" and what's writing. Personally, I would go in myself + Johnny, because I'm (I think we both are) sick of getting people killed on my account, but then would like to fuck off with the Aldecaldos, but I guess that's not an option. :| Should really be an option for "Okay, gonna go try something really dumb now, call you later" and then we all fuck off elsewhere after.

Then again, I am getting the sense that everyone is engaging with the whole construct thing a little differently (which I love), so you know. Preferences.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Man I hope you don't mean The Heist. If you do, god damn is there more game.

The actual "point of no return" is utterly unmissable. There's an actual prompt/popup saying "HEY GUESS WHAT THIS IS".

Yeah.. "The Heist" is when the game world opens up and you actually start playing the meat of the quests...

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg