Options

[Anime] has a new season, and you can kind of watch Urusei Yatsura instead.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Kusuriya no Hitorigoto chapter 38
    So sad even it's resolved man
    Yeah. Last couple of chapters have been about Rakan's point of view, and they managed to make him look sympathetic even if Mao is 100% justified on hating him.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    If people start watching Gintama from scratch now they will probably be very unimpressed for most of the first 50 episodes of the anime

I've tried reading Gintama twice now, and both times got about three volumes in before realising that it just isn't for me, or at least that I don't have the persistence to get to the good parts that a lot of people say are coming up -- it just never quite grabs me enough to make me want to keep going, which feels like a shame based on how good the later bits are meant to be.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The worst part of starting to love to read Gintama is that they never successfully made fetch happen in the West, so it just gets abruptly cancelled at a certain point.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Gurren Lagann doesn't even really tell you what kind of show it is at first. A lot of Trigger is like that, I feel

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I remember catching a YT video of the final fight during the Gurren Lagann movie(basically a fancier version of the TV ending).

I felt the essence of the show was pretty much distilled into those 6-7 minutes so I never felt the need to finish watching the show.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    Gurren Lagann doesn't even really tell you what kind of show it is at first. A lot of Trigger is like that, I feel

I'm reasonably confident Trigger shows don't even know what kind of show they're going to be at first, so they can hardly tell the viewer

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Back Arrow's first episode was decent, if definitely not up to the production standards set by Sunrise, Satelight, etc.

It is, however, immensely stupid, as a pro and a con. As in an alien pod lands in a remote village, and they decide "Wow, this must be secret food sent from the heavens, let's cook and eat it." Then, when a naked dude pops out of it screaming, they immediately try to eat him. He spends the rest of the episode naked with characters begging him to put on clothes. The setting is also that there's a god wall surrounding the world that once a month grows and vomits out a bracelet into the world that when put on, manifests one's inner soul as a giant robot. Claiming anything exists past the wall makes you either a laughing stock, or incites murderous rage depending on your fealty to the great wall. There are also roving random giant mech banditos.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

I'm reasonably confident Trigger shows don't even know what kind of show they're going to be at first, so they can hardly tell the viewer

Gurren Lagann starts with a simple premise: what if giant robots was faces? And then follows that idea through to its logical conclusion.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Back Arrow's first episode was decent, if definitely not up to the production standards set by Sunrise, Satelight, etc.

It is, however, immensely stupid, as a pro and a con. As in an alien pod lands in a remote village, and they decide "Wow, this must be secret food sent from the heavens, let's cook and eat it." Then, when a naked dude pops out of it screaming, they immediately try to eat him. He spends the rest of the episode naked with characters begging him to put on clothes. The setting is also that there's a god wall surrounding the world that once a month grows and vomits out a bracelet into the world that when put on, manifests one's inner soul as a giant robot. Claiming anything exists past the wall makes you either a laughing stock, or incites murderous rage depending on your fealty to the great wall. There are also roving random giant mech banditos.

............Wha?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I'm seeing a lotta talk about Gurren Lagann, but no talk regarding anime baseball.

Pretty disappointed right now.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I'm seeing a lotta talk about Gurren Lagann, but no talk regarding anime baseball.

Dragon Ball Super

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    There's a new isekai with baseball as a gimmick which seems interesting but unfortunately it's already too fanservicey to recommend by chapter 2

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular

Well, we haven't even met 8 of the 9 team members...

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Well, we haven't even met 8 of the 9 team members...

I'm pretty disappointed about that too!

• Options

Dragon Ball Super

Confession time: That's the only episode of Dragon Ball Super I have seen.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    one’s all you need

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Oh! That's a Baseball!

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    game 4 of the 2005 mlb national league division series is my favorite episode of japanimation

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Hey are we talking about Japanese baseball in here?

Go Tokyo Yakult Swallows, the only baseball team named after both a bird and a drinkable yogurt product

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Angels in the A.T. Field

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    dorohedoro is best baseball anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mknh7TMqGE

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options

I disagree with this completely? Gurren Lagann is a show about overreaching your limits and trying to achieve the impossible. The first episode expresses that thesis at the beginning (All the Stars in the Sky are our enemies! but full of swagger about the coming battle) and ending (they drill out of their dying home and into the light of day in defiance of their entire lives up to that point). There's lots of exciting sci-fi and revolutionary stakes to establish after that, but the thesis is extremely clear right away.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    ArcTangent wrote: »

............Wha?

The not-Wild Arms show by Sunrise's director and Gainax/Trigger's writer.

Also, can't help but mention that there were two new shows today with a fantasy setting where a supposed weakling is spoken to by an invisible narrator to explain RPG skills as they gain points to improve their first appraisal skill. One is about a girl reincarnated as a monster. The other is about a boy who gains extra points from fanservice. These are I believe the third and fourth of this kind of the season with at least two more to go. I'm so tired of this shit, anime industry.

The Low Tier Tomozaki thing was also pretty... culturally problematic. Like, the message could very well have been "Yeah, some things in life aren't fair. Sometimes stuff sucks. But you are not absolutely powerless. You can make things better for yourself and others, and find fulfillment instead of fetishizing misery." Instead, it's pure rightwing "there's no such thing as privilege" bullshit. "You're a garbage person because you look and dress like crap. You look like crap because you don't work hard. Anybody can be popular, successful, and rich if they just try. If you're not, it's because you're not trying." As it zooms back to show them both living in identical giant rooms with their personal widescreen TVs, every game system under the sun, and just utter opulence without a trace of irony.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I watched So I'm a Spider, So What's 1st episode, and the lead actress absolutely kills it as the spider. I think I get why this is popular.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I hope so, since she will have to monologue through like 100 episodes

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    I watched So I'm a Spider, So What's 1st episode, and the lead actress absolutely kills it as the spider. I think I get why this is popular.

<3 Aoi Yuuki. She is my favourite VA.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

There were other characters:
    It looks like one full high school class + teacher got reincarnated into different bodies.

The teacher is in an elf, and she's tracking down her whole class, who are a bunch of nobles in the new world. Kind of interesting B plot.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Isorn wrote: »

<3 Aoi Yuuki. She is my favourite VA.

I mean

same

Edit: On a serious note, Aoi Yuuki's vocal range is insane and you've definitely heard her in some random show without knowing it before

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular

I disagree with this completely? Gurren Lagann is a show about overreaching your limits and trying to achieve the impossible. The first episode expresses that thesis at the beginning (All the Stars in the Sky are our enemies! but full of swagger about the coming battle) and ending (they drill out of their dying home and into the light of day in defiance of their entire lives up to that point). There's lots of exciting sci-fi and revolutionary stakes to establish after that, but the thesis is extremely clear right away.

jimmy don't read this shit
    mm, see to me the show is saying that limitations are artificial and are overcome through supporting each other. the evolutionary theory of spiral energy is the 'push' of the past powering the present to 'dig' through the future. a step forward for one is a step forward for all. it's not an individualistic thing, evidenced by the child in post-credits not knowing who Simon is

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

With Gurren Lagann specifically the very beginning of the first episode was based on where the creative team thought the show was going to go eventually.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

Someone on reddit posted this of her:

https://youtu.be/HQAeIspIy5Y?t=108

(skip ahead to 1:48 if the timestamp doesn't work)

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options

There were other characters:
    It looks like one full high school class + teacher got reincarnated into different bodies.

The teacher is in an elf, and she's tracking down her whole class, who are a bunch of nobles in the new world. Kind of interesting B plot.

That B plot was definitely not in the manga at all.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

mm, see to me the show is saying that limitations are artificial and are overcome through supporting each other. the evolutionary theory of spiral energy is the 'push' of the past powering the present to 'dig' through the future. a step forward for one is a step forward for all. it's not an individualistic thing, evidenced by the child in post-credits not knowing who Simon is

Gurren Lagann Ending Spoilers
    Really, for serious, this is super spoilery. Last chance to turn away!
    It's definitely not about pure individualism because by the end Simon pretty much implies he has the power to bring Nia back to life but decides not to for the greater good. Further, the two recap movies add scenes to the final battles that make the fights much more of a team effort. The second movie especially does this, not only letting several characters who died in the original show live, but also giving every member of Team Super Galaxy Dai-Gurren their own Tengen Toppa Gunmen that give the Anti-Spiral quite a good fight before combining into the Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

I saw a lot of CG in the trailer, so I was a bit apprehensive. How's the animation looking so far?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

Gurren Lagann Ending Spoilers
    Really, for serious, this is super spoilery. Last chance to turn away!
    It's definitely not about pure individualism because by the end Simon pretty much implies he has the power to bring Nia back to life but decides not to for the greater good. Further, the two recap movies add scenes to the final battles that make the fights much more of a team effort. The second movie especially does this, not only letting several characters who died in the original show live, but also giving every member of Team Super Galaxy Dai-Gurren their own Tengen Toppa Gunmen that give the Anti-Spiral quite a good fight before combining into the Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

TTGL ending spoilers
    The way I took it, individuals do have to stand alone and they have the power to change the universe. However, doing that recklessly will also destroy the universe, so striving to drill through the heavens without caring about anyone else is an evil action. So the opening represented a selfish Simon who would have destroyed the universe with reckless ambition (what the Anti-Spirals feared), and the actual ending was mostly happy because the Spiral powered heroes were willing to defer their own desires for the good of everyone, when necessary. An interesting take on self-actualization vs good of the collective theming.

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    "Don't believe in yourself, believe in the me that believes in you" is a pretty great line and is the ethos of Gurren Lagann

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I watched a bunch of this season's new fantasy anime to see which would become my new comfort food garbage and which were just actual garbage:

Hortensia Saga - Not a mention of stats or skill pages in sight, this one seems to just be a straight up fantasy action/drama. Pretty good. Does open with a coup, so maybe a little too accidentally timely, but it isn't their fault. Kind of obnoxious mascot character who has done nothing so far. Potential for land mines as
    the kingdom's surviving princess is in disguise as a young man, serving as a squire for the son of the knight who saved her. We'll hope they handle this deftly, but so far nothing bad.

So I'm A Spider, So What? - Seems like a pretty standard but decent isekai so far, where a girl mysteriously dies and is reincarnated in a cave as a low level trash mob Slime isekai style. Spending so much time focused on a single character talking about how skill systems work is a little boring, but it's probably part of the "world setup" shit that all of these isekais go through. I do wish that shows would be less reliant on JRPG tropes, but I get that it's an easily understandable touchstone over in Japan. I know a lot of people like the manga for this one so I'll stick with it for a bit.

Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies moved to a starter town? - Fuckin light novel titles I swear to god. Anyways this one was kinda funny, kinda generic. The premise is the title. Already setting up a harem potentially which is frustrating.

The Hidden Dungeon Only I Can Enter - Horny in a bad way PLUS generic lead PLUS generic JRPG skill system explore the dungeon tedium = hard pass.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »

I saw a lot of CG in the trailer, so I was a bit apprehensive. How's the animation looking so far?

There's still quite a bit of CG but I think they really touched up the main character to where she doesn't look like complete trash anymore. There were other monsters in CG that did not look as good though.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I watched a bunch of this season's new fantasy anime to see which would become my new comfort food garbage and which were just actual garbage:

Hortensia Saga - Not a mention of stats or skill pages in sight, this one seems to just be a straight up fantasy action/drama. Pretty good. Does open with a coup, so maybe a little too accidentally timely, but it isn't their fault. Kind of obnoxious mascot character who has done nothing so far. Potential for land mines as
    the kingdom's surviving princess is in disguise as a young man, serving as a squire for the son of the knight who saved her. We'll hope they handle this deftly, but so far nothing bad.

So I'm A Spider, So What? - Seems like a pretty standard but decent isekai so far, where a girl mysteriously dies and is reincarnated in a cave as a low level trash mob Slime isekai style. Spending so much time focused on a single character talking about how skill systems work is a little boring, but it's probably part of the "world setup" shit that all of these isekais go through. I do wish that shows would be less reliant on JRPG tropes, but I get that it's an easily understandable touchstone over in Japan. I know a lot of people like the manga for this one so I'll stick with it for a bit.

Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies moved to a starter town? - Fuckin light novel titles I swear to god. Anyways this one was kinda funny, kinda generic. The premise is the title. Already setting up a harem potentially which is frustrating.

The Hidden Dungeon Only I Can Enter - Horny in a bad way PLUS generic lead PLUS generic JRPG skill system explore the dungeon tedium = hard pass.

Boonies was very much exactly what it says on the label. The side characters so far have mostly been amusing though.
    With people taking one look at him and seeing the whole "Level 99" next to his name and reacting appropriately. His teacher abusing magic for petty grudges. Etc.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Wait they animated Kid From the Last Dungeon Boonies? Dang that was fast. It's kind of a short one in the manga.

Er, wait, they can see his level in the anime? The whole point of the story is people keep thinking he's weak because of narrative circumstances constantly happening (like One Punch Man) and so does he because he was the weakest person in the village so he has no frame of reference regarding regular people.

This discussion has been closed.