As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Warhammer - Age of Sigmar] The New Fantasy

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Super, super helpful. Thank you!

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    That unique ability on the Executioner is insanely powerful in many scenarios. Will win you games if not friends.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    I love the dumb kangaroos so much.
    They're so stupid, but exactly the kind of over the top "70s and the artist was on a lot of drugs" kind of art style Sigmar has been embracing. Im getting a Moebius kind of vibe from them.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Asher wrote: »
    They're so stupid, but exactly the kind of over the top "70s and the artist was on a lot of drugs" kind of art style Sigmar has been embracing. Im getting a Moebius kind of vibe from them.

Oh yeah, now that you mention it. Moebius also had a thing for hats.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Nm... was looking at the wrong new model.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Asher wrote: »

Oh yeah, now that you mention it. Moebius also had a thing for hats.

Yeah, now you mention it the hats do have a real Moebius vibe.

This is hard because one as pretty sure I was going to sell off my stormcasts and get some Ogres because giant monsters are cool and the argument that the beastclaw raiders are one of the most democratic societies in AoS amuses me, but now Lumineth are coming in strong. Kangaroo riders ans cow mountains are very much my jam.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I wish they’d release a couple of things for Flesh Eaters. Their unit list is really thin.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I wish they’d release a couple of things for Flesh Eaters. Their unit list is really thin.

Many of the hints? seem to go that way
    2r7i3q2rtj2r.png
    But they can also lean to the vampires

though the Morthai book basically was one new model and with tons of lore. I feel now the upcoming one is Realm Lords with the Undead?

The Realm Lords are both Tyrion's and Teclis' armies the Lumineth is Teclis the ???? is Tyrion's is my brother's ideal
    I showed him the new models he liked the Vanari Lord Regent as it was a real leader because he said one of the problems with the Lumineth was the lack of leaders
    I am still pushing forward with what I was going to get him. He still is upset they have never shown the paint scheme for Zaitrec on their offical social media
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB2d5oRcbR0

Brainleech on
  • Options
    After talking with my Jr. Necromancer it looks like I'm going to grab the Cairn Wraith and a box of Chainrasps to expand on the Warband box. Thanks again for all the help.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    m6ces6pteuh8.png
    Just the preview/hype for saturday

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    i have like 1k points of bonereapers that i have never played since i bought them in the run up to the pandemic

started a tyranids army over the pandemic

but i want this

• Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    Seems strange to release an Underworlds warband alongside a single-model Vampire Lord.

Why wouldn't I just buy the warband and proxy one? It's gonna be roughly the same price for either 1 or 2-4 models.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I'm surprised that the vampires are so relatively down to earth. They're not quite as flashy as a lot of AoS. Could fit in Fantasy or even mordheim.

They're actually much less spiky and frilly than the last batch of vamps.

honovere on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    The Underworlds models are always incredible.

I wonder if we're looking at another Lumineth style bait and switch where they show the familiar side of the army first and then a more fantastical side later on? Not that I'd complain either way, it's certainly the only death faction to catch my eye so far.

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I don't even know what to say... Gothic Horror Ravenloft vampire knights in AoS seem weird, but damn if I don't love the two that we've seen.

Edit: By weird I mean they fit more with the Old World aesthetic to me than with the Spelljammer-esque AoS.

Nealneal on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    pardzh wrote: »
    Seems strange to release an Underworlds warband alongside a single-model Vampire Lord.

Why wouldn't I just buy the warband and proxy one? It's gonna be roughly the same price for either 1 or 2-4 models.
    Any of the following:
    Because a lot of players straight up don’t “see” other ranges on the shelf even if they’re “compatible” when looking for their army.
    Because the Vamp Lord single mini is for a new faction which is probably getting previewed on Saturday and not a singular release.
    Because the same new faction book will probably include the WHU band as a Named Unit so people will want both to avoid confusion.
    Probably more besides.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Ken O wrote: »
    After talking with my Jr. Necromancer it looks like I'm going to grab the Cairn Wraith and a box of Chainrasps to expand on the Warband box. Thanks again for all the help.

@Ken O Check EBay etc for Rasps before you buy the official box. The official price is rather silly high and the secondary market is likely still rather flooded after they were in a dirt cheap partwork magazine introductory issue.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Thanks! When making my order I actually found the Briar Queen set. 5 rasps and then the two other figures seemed like a good way to go.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    pardzh wrote: »

Any of the following:
    Because a lot of players straight up don’t “see” other ranges on the shelf even if they’re “compatible” when looking for their army.
    Because the Vamp Lord single mini is for a new faction which is probably getting previewed on Saturday and not a singular release.
    Because the same new faction book will probably include the WHU band as a Named Unit so people will want both to avoid confusion.
    Probably more besides.

"A bunch of shoddy reasons to do bad marketing" is something GW would do.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    They've also updated the Warhammer Underworlds Road Map a bit.

Most notably, the Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr releases were all pushed back a month but the (original) May and June ones haven't moved. And we get the first look at an outline for the greenskins: seems to definitely be Bonesplitterz.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Vanguard wrote: »
    i have like 1k points of bonereapers that i have never played since i bought them in the run up to the pandemic

but i want this

How it started: "Hmm, I'll get that Bone Bros vs Large Adult Sons box"

How it's going:

hq79vp5eqxff.png

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    New vampires seem to be skewing visually close to the old Dark Elf corsairs. So that's cool.

Just don't do like you did for StD and release a few new models without revamping the rest of the range, GW. I'm still pissed off about that and I haven't touched AoS since because I'm not dealing with those dogshit marauders, etc.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    New vampires seem to be skewing visually close to the old Dark Elf corsairs. So that's cool.

Just don't do like you did for StD and release a few new models without revamping the rest of the range, GW. I'm still pissed off about that and I haven't touched AoS since because I'm not dealing with those dogshit marauders, etc.

Are the Marauders that bad? I am feeling very tempted by that StD Start Collecting box...

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »

but i want this

How it started: "Hmm, I'll get that Bone Bros vs Large Adult Sons box"

How it's going:

hq79vp5eqxff.png

so it's going well, is what you're saying

• Options

Are you in my mind? Because I think you have stolen my thoughts.

I was even more pissed when Hedonites got updated versions of the same units!

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I would have felt a lot better if the Warcry warbands could just act as marauders but, no!

I was really hype for StD and bought up all the new stuff on the hope the line was being revamped. I've wanted to do fantasy Chaos Warriors since 1991 but other people in my orbit always called dibs and I deferred. Only getting a handful of monopose minis cut me deep.

• Options
    I kept hoping long past when I should have stopped that someone would realize the simple truth that the Warcry warbands should have just been different flavors of Marauders in AoS. Also that the Darkoaths should have had the Undivided Mark. And in the end I just never got the gumption up to paint a damn one of the new StD models I bought last Christmas.

• Options
    About-to-give-herself-a-haircut-with-her-sword vamp is nice, but doesn't speak to me like Bats-in-her hair does.

I'm clearly a sucker for a flyaway sproingy bit.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    DocSamson wrote: »

Are the Marauders that bad? I am feeling very tempted by that StD Start Collecting box...

They are pretty fugly, only partially saved by having enough heads with helmets to help hide the awful face sculpts

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options

That annoyed me to no end with the old high elf range, too. Here are more elite units, and monsters, and chariots. But you keep those fugly core units until the universe ends. Literally.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »

That annoyed me to no end with the old high elf range, too. Here are more elite units, and monsters, and chariots. But you keep those fugly core units until the universe ends. Literally.

And then they went and did the reverse with the new high elf range: here's some awesome spearmen, archers, and knights but the rest of the line is trash.

• Options
    Eltharion is very cool, I'll give them that.

I don't even like the core units all that much. The giant moulded runes on armour and barding are not my thing and the spear aelf helmets are eh. Also some other minor things. But they are okay.

I think the stone mage is okay, too.

The hammer dudes and teclis though, ugh.

There some other models I think are fine, but that's really it, fine. Eltharion is the only model that could pull me in though in the end and that's not enough.

The artwork is generally pretty good though I think. But that also makes the models not better in comparison.

One little detail that continues to confound me a little is that they get all these new weird looking beasts and monsters, but all the figurative iconography on banners and shields are of classic elf animals. Dragons, phoenixes, etc. Or just other mundane animals. The treerunners have a fox on their banner. Like how awesome would giant fox riders be. Or maybe not, because the model execution is way more of a problem with the range than the ideas.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    it's me, I'm the weirdo that thinks the lumineth are pretty rad

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I don't like High Elves and never have, so the Lumineth were never going to be for me, but as an AoS amped release in that vein I think they work well, and I see new Lumineth armies/units getting painted all the time over on AoS twitter and stuff, so they seem to have plenty of fans.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    The Warcry warband rules in AoS are trash too, about the same level of quality the Underworlds warscrolls are.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Dayspring wrote: »
    The Warcry warband rules in AoS are trash too, about the same level of quality the Underworlds warscrolls are.

Which is weird because you could easily get a player of one game into the other by making them not awful.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Yeah! I think i prefer “awful rules so these are essentially all conversion fodder” though, overall.
    Someone on twitter/insta did a StD realm of metal themed army. Marauders were Iron Golem with marauder helmets, chaos warriors were stock with iron golem helmets, all the monsters were biomechanical...it was awesome

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Really my brother likes the look of the Realm lords as they are the elves of old keeping the aesthetic with a new look
    the Photobomb aka Teclis is what my brother and I call him
    The mountain cow and hammer elves are a wholly new look and direction for the elves as a whole {with how the dok other units look, the idoneth and the realm lords I am very curious what Malerion's elves look like. We know the general aesthetic of the satyr elves but if they become a real army what would their expanded look be?}
    The upcoming units for the realm lords I know my brother is interested in but how they play is a different conversation

• Options
    Dayspring wrote: »

Hey now, the Shadowstalkers are bonkers good in AoS! And Morgwaeth is a better Haq Queen with bodyguards for +40 points.
    Hmm, maybe it's just that Daughters of Khaine touch, come to think of it...

But yes, they're mostly pretty lackluster with a few gems.

• Options
    I've seen the new vamps being dubbed sir Slicer and Marceline the vampire queen and it kinda makes me like the models more than before

This discussion has been closed.