Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Ryza is my first foray into the series. Haven't decided if I'd give the others a go yet, but figured if I liked this one I would play the sequel when it hits.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    For the Atelier curious, someone wrote a guide:

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Ryza is my first foray into the series. Haven't decided if I'd give the others a go yet, but figured if I liked this one I would play the sequel when it hits.

The others don't play much like it at all, so if it's the FFXIII-like combat that you're enjoying and are adverse to turn-based stuff, you're not going to like the previous games.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I think the only one I played in that series was Atelier Iris and I cannot remember a damn thing about that game other than knowing I completed it, probably didn't hate it, and that item crafting was involved. I'm also considering picking up Ryza as it might go on sale when 2 comes out.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I find it unnerving how the Atelier games' fashion design started out classy, for the most part...

4mfmx5ipjzvx.png
    q5wzjnpmvbcj.png

And now... this.

3clkaff0ea1e.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I mean other than the unnecessary balloon upper legs I don’t mind ryza’a design.

I do know though Japan apparently has a huge thing for just a little bit of upper leg showing or something. So maybe it’s more of an absurd design than it seems.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The nice thing I can say about Ryza is that she's wearing clothes that I believe a girl would think are cute. They look like clothes that would be sold at a store. Vs the patchwork, keyhole, belt laden abominations that come down the pipe regularly in JRPGs.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The nice thing I can say about Ryza is that she's wearing clothes that I believe a girl would think are cute. They look like clothes that would be sold at a store. Vs the patchwork, keyhole, belt laden abominations that come down the pipe regularly in JRPGs.

I guess, but they don't really seem practical, they seem like they were designed to cater.
    (And those shorts look agonizingly painful.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    That's still pretty tame compared to some of the alt costumes they snuck into the Plus releases. I'm not even going to post them because I may end up on a list.

Though that being said you could also get some pretty great combinations.

rrjCwde.jpg
    kN7iJwS.jpg
    srikUhu.jpg

#sweg

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Ok I retract my previous positive take on Phoenotopia. I've gotten to the second dungeon area and it's such unrelenting bullshit that it's put me off playing entirely.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    I'm slow to work my way through Age of Calamity since it's my exercise bike game right now, so I'm only playing it 45-60 minutes a day, and only on days I don't go out jogging or for long walks, but I really seriously cannot get over how godawful the writing is.

"Check it out! We raised the giant tower?"
    Uh, you mean the hub that we've returned to after literally every mission since the start of the game.
    "Yeah! Now it exists! It didn't 10 hours before."

Uhhhhhhhhh, okay.

"You must not shirk your duties, Zelda."
    "But Father, I want to try my best."
    "No, Zelda, you must try harder."
    "But I want to try my best and try harder."
    "Very well, but you must try harder."

Thanks! Fucking awesome scene, guys!

"We lost another battle!"
    "All is according to plan."
    "Our plan was to let them use weapons of mass destruction to obliterate us and fail at every turn?"
    --fade out menacingly--

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

"Check this out! I invented teleportation! Now we can teleport places!"
    Uh, you mean the transition animation to loading screens that's been there since literally the start of the game?
    "Yes, but now it exists!"
    And it does nothing new?
    "That's right!"

Every time I run out of challenges and have to do a story quest, it's like stepping into the maw of madness.

This reminds me, I was watching this the other day...

https://youtu.be/OmisZL1PFY4

...and my thought was, "Oh, so the script and acting here isn't good enough, but Metroid: [REDACTED] was okay?!" I guess add this to the list of why that was BS.

Though AoC and that Metroid game we're not allowed to speak the name of were both koei Tecmo... coincidence?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Ok I retract my previous positive take on Phoenotopia. I've gotten to the second dungeon area and it's such unrelenting bullshit that it's put me off playing entirely.

*unchecks it off his wishlist*

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm slow to work my way through Age of Calamity since it's my exercise bike game right now, so I'm only playing it 45-60 minutes a day, and only on days I don't go out jogging or for long walks, but I really seriously cannot get over how godawful the writing is.

"Check it out! We raised the giant tower?"
    Uh, you mean the hub that we've returned to after literally every mission since the start of the game.
    "Yeah! Now it exists! It didn't 10 hours before."

Uhhhhhhhhh, okay.

"You must not shirk your duties, Zelda."
    "But Father, I want to try my best."
    "No, Zelda, you must try harder."
    "But I want to try my best and try harder."
    "Very well, but you must try harder."

Thanks! Fucking awesome scene, guys!

"We lost another battle!"
    "All is according to plan."
    "Our plan was to let them use weapons of mass destruction to obliterate us and fail at every turn?"
    --fade out menacingly--

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

"Check this out! I invented teleportation! Now we can teleport places!"
    Uh, you mean the transition animation to loading screens that's been there since literally the start of the game?
    "Yes, but now it exists!"
    And it does nothing new?
    "That's right!"

Every time I run out of challenges and have to do a story quest, it's like stepping into the maw of madness.

This reminds me, I was watching this the other day...

https://youtu.be/OmisZL1PFY4

...and my thought was, "Oh, so the script and acting here isn't good enough, but Metroid: [REDACTED] was okay?!" I guess add this to the list of why that was BS.

Though AoC and that Metroid game we're not allowed to speak the name of were both koei Tecmo... coincidence?

To be fair, that video shows that NoA waited to see what the sales of Disaster would be like in Japan and Europe before making a decision. And they were horrible. Shame, this game looks like goofy fun.

I'm still baffled as to what internal politics happened that gave Sakamoto so much power he could tell one of the best localization groups in the business to go fuck themselves. He's certainly been humbled since then. (And while this statement sounds knee-jerk, pretty much every horrible decision on that Metroid game can be directly traced back to Sakamoto, not Koei Tecmo.)

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Disaster: Day of Crisis is hilarious and a good time.
    The driving towards the screen away from a tsunami section is a nightmare but it's so stupid I cant help but love it.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    One thing I forgot to mention is that for the first time ever, I 100% Mario Sunshine! So that is Mario 64 and Sunshine both 100%. Two of my bucket list completions.

I can say that I still love Mario Sunshine. I love the theme and Delfino Island. By god, some of the missions though, and the blue coins are pure garbage. The lillypad red coin mission is horrible, not to mention the Pachinko. The only way I could keep track of the blue coins is with a guide. Still love the game, but now I have no interest in ever getting all the shines again.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    One thing I forgot to mention is that for the first time ever, I 100% Mario Sunshine! So that is Mario 64 and Sunshine both 100%. Two of my bucket list completions.

I can say that I still love Mario Sunshine. I love the theme and Delfino Island. By god, some of the missions though, and the blue coins are pure garbage. The lillypad red coin mission is horrible, not to mention the Pachinko. The only way I could keep track of the blue coins is with a guide. Still love the game, but now I have no interest in ever getting all the shines again.

I first tried both the Lily Pad and the Pachinko missions are soon as they became available and immediately lost the dozens of lives I had hoarded up to that point. I couldn't believe how hard they were, so I just told myself don't worry about them, come back and try again later. I had 118 shines and dreaded having to get those two to 100% the game. I think I got the Lily Pad shine on my third attempt and the Pachinko one on my first go. I have no idea if it was just luck or I had adjusted to the controls and adapted to how the game "wanted" to be controlled, but I was almost disappointed; I saved up 99 lives, after all. But then I got to move on to Galaxy, which is what I was looking forward to the most.

I got all 482 stars in 3D All-Stars in about three weeks, but getting 100% in Sunshine definitely took the longest. Getting all the blue coins would be impossible without a guide.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    The annoying thing about all those optional missions and blue coins in Sunshibe is that they’re basically worthless for progression. Story events that unlock certain levels are unlocked with certain numbers of shine sprites, but there’s no skipping worlds in Sunshine like in 64. You have to do the 7th mission in each world to unlock the ending, and the last shine sprite threshold for unlocking stuff in the plaza is 30, which you can get pretty easily on your way to getting 7 in each world.

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular

I was under the impression that KT made the games, but Nintendo were responsible for the stories.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah AoC might have the thinnest of plotlines just to get you to the various set pieces but the not-to-be-named Metroid game was just offensively bad. There's a huge difference between the two.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Going through a backlog of pixelly indie platformers, boy there sure are a lot of those but I'm a sucker for 'em. Carrion is so gross and squishy and wretched and I love it.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    Finally got around to starting up My Time at Portia after being unhappy with the port waaaaay back at release and ... it's really good. Addicted good. I love it way too much. I wish that it hadn't been kinda trash when it released but good on them for not leaving it that way.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    In my journey to slowly take out my backlog, I beat The Way Remastered today.

Pretty fun retro puzzle adventure. Felt like some of the old Sierra games back in the day. Pretty fun, interesting story, but I have no desire to play through it again for the other ending. One and done.

I also started Atalier Ryza and oh my goodness, the game is just joyful. Not at all what I was expecting. It's the most pleasent RPG I've played in a while.

All of the Atelier games are great.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

I say that with Mana Khemia being my single favorite RPG engine ever made and it is goddamn elegant in its execution.

That is very much entirely by accident though, as the sequel fucked up a lot of that even with a ton of huge QoL improvements.

But anyway, the Atelier games are very hit or miss, and the most recent Mysterious trilogy was waaaaaay the fuck more miss than hit, and Lulua is... Christ, where to even start? Lulua was a game almost entirely of recycled assets where the camera would regularly clip into the ground or monsters for regular attack animations, or worse, literally strobed the screen. This is on top of the writing being worse than its ever been at even the crappiest of Dusk's misogynistic bullshit gish gallop nonsense.

Anyway, Iris, great. Khemia amazing. Arland DXes good, awful, decent in that order. Dusk, great combat, horrendous writing, hugely fucked up alchemy for good and ill. Mysterious: Avoid unless you're a superfan. Nelke: Hahahahaha fuck no, never touch, will give you the plague.

Wait, did you just call Totori awful?
    Talith wrote: »
    I think the only one I played in that series was Atelier Iris and I cannot remember a damn thing about that game other than knowing I completed it, probably didn't hate it, and that item crafting was involved. I'm also considering picking up Ryza as it might go on sale when 2 comes out.

It's probably worth pointing out that Iris (and Mana Khemia) were spinoff games that were more focused on standard JRPG mechanics and less on alchemy/crafting.

• Options
    My understanding was that they had two teams working on both Lulua and Ryza, with the former being their more conservative direction and the latter being a more adventurous project. I'm glad Ryza was popular enough for them to expand on because hoo boy Lulua is a rough ride. One thing I'll grant though is that the voice actors for Lulua give 110%, but that's really all that approaches 100% effort in this game.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

Pretty fun retro puzzle adventure. Felt like some of the old Sierra games back in the day. Pretty fun, interesting story, but I have no desire to play through it again for the other ending. One and done.

I also started Atalier Ryza and oh my goodness, the game is just joyful. Not at all what I was expecting. It's the most pleasent RPG I've played in a while.

I say that with Mana Khemia being my single favorite RPG engine ever made and it is goddamn elegant in its execution.

That is very much entirely by accident though, as the sequel fucked up a lot of that even with a ton of huge QoL improvements.

But anyway, the Atelier games are very hit or miss, and the most recent Mysterious trilogy was waaaaaay the fuck more miss than hit, and Lulua is... Christ, where to even start? Lulua was a game almost entirely of recycled assets where the camera would regularly clip into the ground or monsters for regular attack animations, or worse, literally strobed the screen. This is on top of the writing being worse than its ever been at even the crappiest of Dusk's misogynistic bullshit gish gallop nonsense.

Anyway, Iris, great. Khemia amazing. Arland DXes good, awful, decent in that order. Dusk, great combat, horrendous writing, hugely fucked up alchemy for good and ill. Mysterious: Avoid unless you're a superfan. Nelke: Hahahahaha fuck no, never touch, will give you the plague.

Totori WAS awful. The core problem with it was that, like all the Arland games (and Ayesha for that matter), the difficulty curve is fucked up beyond belief. This is made worse by it hard locking you to a small area for the start of the game for a set period of time. So it was easy to power through to the end of all the things you can do, but no indications really of why new things have suddenly stopped opening up or what you're supposed to be doing. If/When you suffer your way through that, the difficulty spikes through the roof and basically goes "Gee, hope you min/maxed the absolute shit out of that early game when you were already curb stomping enemies, or are on NG+, cause fuck you." To make matters worse, the triggers for events and shit that you need to do to be able to increase your strength are obscured, hidden, or RNG based. All the while, the very restrictive clock that it gave you way too much of and forced you to waste in the horrible starting area is now very limited, a veritable Sword of Damocles hanging over your head. So it essentially doubles down on "Fuck you, play NG+ where you'll be curbstomping that start area for 10 hours again, but even moreso, so you can actually play the last third of the game for real."

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options

Totori WAS awful. The core problem with it was that, like all the Arland games (and Ayesha for that matter), the difficulty curve is fucked up beyond belief. This is made worse by it hard locking you to a small area for the start of the game for a set period of time. So it was easy to power through to the end of all the things you can do, but no indications really of why new things have suddenly stopped opening up or what you're supposed to be doing. If/When you suffer your way through that, the difficulty spikes through the roof and basically goes "Gee, hope you min/maxed the absolute shit out of that early game when you were already curb stomping enemies, or are on NG+, cause fuck you." To make matters worse, the triggers for events and shit that you need to do to be able to increase your strength are obscured, hidden, or RNG based. All the while, the very restrictive clock that it gave you way too much of and forced you to waste in the horrible starting area is now very limited, a veritable Sword of Damocles hanging over your head. So it essentially doubles down on "Fuck you, play NG+ where you'll be curbstomping that start area for 10 hours again, but even moreso, so you can actually play the last third of the game for real."

:(

I really enjoyed Totori. My soul is as black as night and I still cried a bit at the true ending.

I will say that your complaints are legit, but I didn't find them nearly as severe in my playthrough. The time constraints and the map travel times did make me feel pressured throughout my playthorugh, but I didn't have much trouble as far as difficulty spikes went (or unlocking new areas; that is all guided by leveling up your adventurer's license and exploring areas you've already unlocked).

The only thing I really didn't like was the grind for the millionaire ending.

• Options
    borschevskyborschevsky Registered User regular
    Well that's a disappointing end to a 3½-year wait.

12gliqtm4qve.png

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Mine is still preordered, "Release date: Saturday, December 31, 2022" :lol: I guess I should see a cancellation email sometime soon. Would be a shame because it's $12 off thanks to that Prime discount they stopped giving, but it would also be the first physical game I would have gotten in a long time and I've been digital only for a while now.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Metroid fans are accustomed to disappointment by now. Hello old friend, I wish I could say it was good to see you again.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Well that's a disappointing end to a 3½-year wait.

12gliqtm4qve.png

They did this shit with my Digimon Survive preorder, before relisting it like a day later. I just placed another preorder, but still pointlessly annoying.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Looks like it's still available for pre-order on US Amazon.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    My son's Switch Lite has had drift issues. I mostly fixed it by spraying it with electrical contact cleaner (same way I fixed my own joycons) and it hasn't been much of a problem since then. Every now and then I need to recalibrate for him but it's not to bad.

However--my son is also 4 years old and he treats his switch pretty rough. Multiple drops, mashing the sticks, etc. We're still working on teaching him to treat his things nicely. So yeah, I'd say you'd have to abuse the console pretty hard in order to get drift. It's also had chocolate milk spilled on it and it still works fine after it dried out.

And yes, my heart skips a beat every time he drops it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    Mine is still preordered, "Release date: Saturday, December 31, 2022" :lol: I guess I should see a cancellation email sometime soon. Would be a shame because it's $12 off thanks to that Prime discount they stopped giving, but it would also be the first physical game I would have gotten in a long time and I've been digital only for a while now.

There was no other game more appropriate for a Prime discount.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    The Umineko games are coming to Switch apparently:

https://store-jp.nintendo.com/list/software/70010000012343.html

Boy would THAT be a coup for localization...
    49rc18f2vk82.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    What are they?

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    What are they?

Very "Meta" supernatural murder mystery visual novels that I was kind of super obsessed with from the early to mid 2010s but I'm not anymore.

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Never heard of those games, but looks like they're visual novels

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I was curious because most of the screenshots look like visual novels, but one of the screenshots looks like a 2d fighting game.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    I was curious because most of the screenshots look like visual novels, but one of the screenshots looks like a 2d fighting game.

Yep, it's on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/550340/Umineko_Golden_Fantasia/

(I also, uh, edited the fan translation.)

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/2057/

The fighting game is a sequel/spin-off of sorts, and very fun.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    OmnibusOmnibus Registered User regular
  • Options
    Omnibus wrote: »

I've never heard of it, but things like this make me more excited for the near-endless possibilities for unlocalized gems this presents.

wVEsyIc.png