Options

hey guys. what's up (AMA bout prison)

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Also the only permissible social media is TikTok, where you are to sing sea shanties.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    The person I would be least surprised to find out they went to federal prison is Dr Dizaster, the mod who changed a forumer’s password so he could log into their account to create a pretense for banning them.

Ah yes. That's the guy who makes all my bad posts.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Also the only permissible social media is TikTok, where you are to sing sea shanties.

Remember Nickelback?

They're back

In shanty form

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure talking about illegal activities is against forum rules anyway. I'm fine answering any questions about prison itself, if people are curious about that.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    oh, @Jars , I don’t know if this is relevant to your interests but they announced an honest to god TWEWY sequel

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Anyway this is what’s up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mWsjJ9RpLI

• Options
    I got long game acronyms confused because TWEWY sounds like a bond title and ended up thinking of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2PxxbJydBU

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I’m legit heartbroken they killed them.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    How many pathfinder games was it and how were they? Is the table dynamic different in prison?

• Options
    edited January 2021
    I've never played pathfinder outside of prison so I don't know anything about table dynamics. A lot of times like someone will get a module in and then figure out what kind of group of say "I want this person in my game, so we need people that will work with them". of course you have all kinds of players including the bad ones like the guy that tries so hard but is so bad at the game, the cheater that is always getting his comeuppance, the rager, the guy that argues about everything despite always being wrong, the guy that's all about how AWESOME MY CHARACTER IS LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY CHARACTER etc. at one point I had quite a few going at once. since we're talking 3 years with lots of free time I went through a bunch of stuff:

I did wrath of the righteous from book 2-6 which was good overall. the dm was a bit slow but that's only because they really wanted to get stuff right. played some weird ranger/sorcerer/dragon disciple that wrecked because mythic!
    I played serpent's skull to completion as well which... the module isn't that good and the game was a bit of a trainwreck, not because we didn't like each other but because every boss has dominate! and now we're dying again because the fighter just killed everyone! so we ended up with like 5 tpks including one where my alchemist put the oracle at -44 hp with force bombs(alchemists are op) and we had this joke about how the book says that dead players sit quietly so when they started talking the dm goes "excuse me dust sits quietly"
    played the first book of hell's rebels which did NOT go well because of both the players not knowing what they were doing and the dm also not being great. it was one of those dms where if your character is too weak, they die. and if your character is too strong, they also die. you can't win.
    played some giant campaign that wasn't an official thing that went well. had a halfling cleric that was running between giant legs all the time
    played books 1-3 of mummy's mask which was great, until the compound got locked down from corona virus and rip mummy's mask. played an inquisitor of sekmet who are fuckin ridiculous
    played a 5th edition module out of the abyss which was hit and miss in part because of myself and my disability means I can cause problems at a table plus I was still pretty new. it was the only 5e I played, it wasn't as popular as pathfinder 1(prison is like a time capsule where new things do not adopt quickly). I didn't like that there's basically no character building. give me some fucking feats already
    I also played a short shadowrun game that was fun as hell but it was only for maybe 2 months? before the person went home. played a beefy orc lady on a motorcycle with a panther XXL cannon and it ruled
    the last one was a homebrew system and it was pretty much happenstance that we had really really good group and a dm willing to think up mechanics like "how much damage does it do when you shove someone into a deep fryer?". it was the sleeping dogs of tabletop games

then we we got locked down for months upon months the player pool got that much smaller and I had to run a game myself and we did age of ashes for 2e since we had a guy that could afford stuff like that pretty easily. that was mostly fun, especially when you get to troll your players on stupid shit. We did agents of edgewatch book 1 as well and there was a situation where they(you play as the popo) were beating down this half orc woman so I had a bystandard walk by and start talking about how oh my god the police really are beating up halforcs like hotcakes and pull out a cellphone and start hashtagging orclives matter and back at the precinct she was on TV getting interviewed by jake tapper while the superior officer lost his mind. not realistic at all but it's funny so I don't care

Jars on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    if you're still into tabletop rpgs I really recommend checking out the powered by the apocalypse games, in particular blades in the dark

it still has al the fantasy tropes you know and love but it's built from the ground up to help the player and gm tell a compelling story with interesting characters instead of making the numbers go higher on your stats/loot/xp/gold

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    out of the systems I played I liked shadowrun a lot, I liked pathfinder 2e a lot and both of those systems have so many levelers on how you make your character your own. pathfinder 1 ended up just getting more and more frustrating as no one can keep track of their numbers, and there's too many mandatory feats, and casters are underpowered unless you play them a specific way like abusing enervate. I started out as a regular sorcerer in wrath of the righteous because I didn't know that demons 1) resisted everything 2) have spell resist on top of that 3) have great saving throws and are immune to all kinds of shit. so it was pretty miserable. 5e like I said makes everything feel too samey. once you play one ranger you've pretty much played them all. I wish I had played a warlock instead since they have mini feats.

Jars on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I want to be clear, Jars was not the most likely forumer to spend time in federal prison

Top 3, though, maybe

My number one would be @Straightzi but for something weird and archaic like forging a currency that isn't legal tender anywhere but there's still some ancient rule on the books about it in New Hampshire, only enforced because the judge didn't like his haircut

I have never had this specific thought but I read this post and went "yes, that is correct."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Jars, what are your top 5 items that people could donate to prisoners?

How did your prison work in terms of cell time? Were you locked in your cell most of the time?

Who was your favourite cell mate?

What story from inside always makes you laugh?

What do you wanna do now you’re out?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Damn, Jars, much respect to anybody who gets jugged and comes out cool afterwards.

I only ever been to jail, but that was plenty for me, tbh.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Damn, Jars, much respect to anybody who gets jugged and comes out cool afterwards.

I mean, if anything

he got Jarred

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Jars have you listened to the Ear Hustle podcast?

I'm so curious about how your experience lined up with theirs. I get the feeling federal and state prisons are very different.

• Options
    Tef wrote: »
    Jars, what are your top 5 items that people could donate to prisoners?

How did your prison work in terms of cell time? Were you locked in your cell most of the time?

Who was your favourite cell mate?

What story from inside always makes you laugh?

What do you wanna do now you’re out?

1) I don't think there's anything you can donate to people. you can put money on their books but you need to know the person. otherwise the only thing you can send in are books. if it's not on the commissary list you ain't getting it. lots of artificial scarcity in prison.

2) I went through a variety of institutions. for most people you start out in county jail, which varies a LOT. under normal circumstances I would have been a self surrender but my judge was an asshole("I want to give out a million years before I retire!") who over-sentenced me and dumped me in county jail where I had a 4 man cellblock that you never left. I wasn't that upset though, because I wanted to start as soon as possible. then you go to a designation facility where you are in a pod, and you only get locked in your cell for a few hours a day and you get an hour outside. once you get to the compound it again varies by your level. I was at a low, and there are a few designated times when you have to be in the unit(3:30-4:30, 8 pm-6am) but otherwise you have the run of the compound.

3) I had pretty good luck with cellmates, my favorite was an older black guy. If you ever do find yourself in prison find yourself some OGs to hang out with because they always have great stories and are super cool.

4) man I got a lot of them, I started writing a list pretty early on. I think the funniest was a conversation next door to me where they were talking about mules and donkeys and they ask this other guy down the hall and one goes "you're asking the white man? the white man told us we'd go to heaven if we were good slaves!". it was one of those perfect lines for the situation

5) I want to type up all my things that I have written. I have 12 years of post release supervision to deal with(it's like probation except you can be violated and sent back to prison for things that aren't illegal with no trial. yes it's fucked up) which, again, WAY over-sentenced. any other judge in my area would have given me 5 at the most.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    #pipe wrote: »
    Jars have you listened to the Ear Hustle podcast?

I'm so curious about how your experience lined up with theirs. I get the feeling federal and state prisons are very different.

haven't heard of it. I only listened to a few podcasts, the bombcast, jets sports radio after loses, and jalen and jacoby. there's a good amount of variation within systems as well but I think the biggest difference between the two is time sentenced. if the feds pick up your case(which they can very easily due to interstate commerce laws) you're fucked. almost everyone gets at least a 5 year mandatory minimum, and most people I knew had over a decade and in some cases over 20. the main thing about lows though is you can only go there if you have <20 years left, otherwise you must be at a medium or pen. in otherwords everyone at a low has a release date. that is not true at medium/highs.

there's some variety in lows but in general they're pretty quiet, the one I was at, loretto, was very low key because they dumped tons of old men there who were giant pushovers. fort dix is much different but it's the outlier, other prisons in my area like allenwood and elkton and danvers are also quiet. mediums can be hit or miss, mckean is fucked up and very violent, but there are others that are fairly quiet. Pens of course are super dangerous, I knew a few people that were at pens. your level of security depends very much on how old you are, so pens are overwhelmingly younger people with long sentences who don't give a fuck if they live or die.

Jars on
  • Options
    This is interesting as fuck, thanks for doing this.

How was the food?

Did you make any friends that you’d like to stay in touch with on the outside?

Did you feel like you learnt anything about yourself whilst you were locked up?

Bit of a personal one so feel free to ignore, but did you get much support from friends and family on the outside?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    My older brother has been in and out of state and federal prison for his entire adult life, and I kinda wish he and I were closer because I would be absolutely fascinated to hear about his experiences.

Sadly he's always been an asshole and a scumbag and I have basically zero interest in having a relationship with him. Even as kids we never really got along or had anything in common, and he also took advantage of any family member who made any effort to help him out.

Anyway, I'm glad you got through it and came out the other side fairly unscathed! Definitely appreciate hearing about your experience.

• Options
    the food wasn't as bad as you can expect. there were the meals that everyone dreaded like tuna salad and roast beef but we there were lots of taco meals which were good because the people making the mexican food were actually from mexico. by the end of it I had stopped eating beef so I was selling some food(to other inmates) since the alternative was usually tofu which I don't care that much for. it's not even that great of nutritional food, there are much better soy based products.

I have one that I want to but they don't like you contacting people still at prison. they lock you up at a place full of felons then afterwards they tell you you can't talk to felons that's very bad. it makes no sense.

mainly that I'm a person with a disability, yeah. a few other things as well

I talked to my mother every week but I don't have friends so

• Options
    Ear Hustle is a podcast made by current and former residents of San Quentin State Prison.

It's super interesting and candid and they talk about day to day life inside as well as bigger picture stuff.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Any smells you associate with prison? Something that if you smelled it again would trigger a strong memory?

• Options
    no, it'd be more sounds. specifically the sound of keys and fucking intercoms because that asshole CO was always screaming on the intercom every morning

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    did you start working out a lot?

when I was in jail, I pretty quickly got into exercise or I'd be too anxious/scared to sleep

• Options
    real talk I remember you, and I'm glad you're out of the slammer, homie, especially because it sounds like the circumstances leading up to it were bullshit

• Options
    I worked out like crazy from about summer 2019-march 2020 when everything shit blew up. 6'2" 165 pounds. now I'm 180 and it suuuucks

I'm not gonna say I wasn't guilty, because I totally was, but yeah in state they would not have given me a single day of prison time. I'll have to go through my notes and see if I can write up some of the things that happened. some of it's funny, some of it's cringy, and some of it will make you see red. mostly what certain people's cases looked like.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    How much have you whistled since getting out? (Or is that just a Canadian jail thing)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    what was the TV/movie situation, how did that work

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    @Jars I don't know you and I don't remember you, but you're a member of this community and I'm very glad you made it out safely.

I don't know if this would help, but I'm in Minnesota and I'd like to help in any way I can.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Welcome back, sorry you had to go through some apparent bullshit.

For catching up on some media over the last few years, Knives Out is a pretty good murder mystery where Daniel Craig (with a southern drawl) has to investigate the death of a mystery author in a house full of rich assholes. Also Sony made an excellent animated Spider-man movie with Spider-man: Into the Spiderverse.

TV Shows where you say "Fuck" a lot have also been on the rise:
    • Doom Patrol (HBO Max): Brendan Fraser says "Fuck" a lot
    • The Witcher (Netflix): Henry Cavill says "Fuck" a lot
    • Harley Quinn (HBO Max): Animated show where Harley Quinn says "Fuck" a lot
    • What We Do in the Shadows (FXX/Hulu): TV show in same universe as the movie, vampires say "fuck" quite frequently

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Welcome back, sorry you had to go through some apparent bullshit.

For catching up on some media over the last few years, Knives Out is a pretty good murder mystery where Daniel Craig (with a southern drawl) has to investigate the death of a mystery author in a house full of rich assholes. Also Sony made an excellent animated Spider-man movie with Spider-man: Into the Spiderverse.

TV Shows where you say "Fuck" a lot have also been on the rise:
    • Doom Patrol (HBO Max): Brendan Fraser says "Fuck" a lot
    • The Witcher (Netflix): Henry Cavill says "Fuck" a lot
    • Harley Quinn (HBO Max): Animated show where Harley Quinn says "Fuck" a lot
    • What We Do in the Shadows (FXX/Hulu): TV show in same universe as the movie, vampires say "fuck" quite frequently

The Expanse has also been freed for the one and only Shohreh Aghdashloo to curse at her heart's content.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Yeah dude if you like, crowdfund your attempts to get your writings published or whatever I am in. Or just like, you need to help to get your shit together too.

It’s fucked up how hard they make it for people to get back on their feet

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    I read all the expanse books while I was there

there are tvs in the unit, plus a few in the gym and an outdoor rec building. the unit ones are all segregated, black/white/spanish tv. the white tvs were always playing some trash like fox news or the big bang theory so I didn't watch much tv in the unit, I've wasn't a big tv watcher in the first place. the one I watched the most was outside because I'd hop on an elliptical machine while I watched whatever. plus all home football games were steeler games and hell is sitting in a tv room full of steeler fans

movies at first were on a dvd system in the library where you could sign up for a slot and watch a dvd. then they got rid of those and did institutional movies which showed on the regular tvs where we got more recent movies once or twice a week. I've seen Joker, for example.

one oddity about tv watching is you don't have regular volume like a normal tv. every tv has a radio frequency and you listen to it on a radio or mp3 player.

I also have to get into the politics of the tv room which my spot was super political because it was a dumping group for a lot of people who couldn't cut it at their old institution so they get to loretto and act like their shit don't stink and you get this whole thing about "good paperwork!" and "bad paperwork!"(spoiler: there is no such thing as good paperwork) which is basically do you have confidential informant or a sex offense on your paperwork and you can still watch tv if you do you just don't get a seat. except in my unit there was a UN row of chairs where anyone could sit but then the snitches got mad at sitting with the sex offenders so it became snitch row and I was all like uhhhh? you do realize how hypocritical this is?? but it all happened on the black side of the tv room so they weren't interested in my opinion.

but that's how it is. just unending hypocrisy over what's on your paperwork. yet once you actually got into prison? you could tell on people all you want and it was apparently no big deal because it's not on your paperwork! there was a guy who went to the shu(jail within jail) for smoking k-2, then gets out the very next day. there's no way you are getting out of the shu in a day unless you told on someone, that is a guaranteed fact. yet his car(mini-gang) was all like no man he's a good dude, good paperwork. yeah whatever.

• Options
    How much have you whistled since getting out? (Or is that just a Canadian jail thing)

I fucking despise whistling. I'm super sensitive to noise and people would do that shit all the time. there was a guy that just walked around the pod whistling all the time and it was infuriating.

• Options
    How were the people running the place? Do you have any good/funny/terrible stories about them?

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Is there as much of a rampant drug problem in federal prison as there is in state?

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    Tef wrote: »
    How were the people running the place? Do you have any good/funny/terrible stories about them?

people at county jail were real nice, I was in a small county jail. then at CCA ohio they were overworked but they would try to help you and were alright. the prison COs were usually assholes and I never talked to them on principle. loretto is right in the middle of Pennsyltucky and it shows. I'd have to think about funny stories about them as I'm not that good at retelling events, usually it was when they made a silly mistake. There was a woman in education who was in the bathroom and hit the alarm on her radio so there was a literal train of 30+ cops all running for the education bathroom. turned out it was an accident. You also had pepper spray pete, who must have gotten real amped up because he tried to pepper spray some inmates who didn't really need to be... and sprayed himself instead. a lot of it was just small behaviors you saw over time, like this one CO who we called grimace because he was shaped just like grimace. now, grimace wasn't the brightest guy, he got his job through is uncle and was a bit underqualified. so, every day at 4:15 we would get counted to make sure no one escaped(no one did), and the COs would walk through the unit counting. well, grimace wasn't so good at counting. First he was walking into the cell doing this full arm motion saying ONE! TWO! THREE!. he must have realized that looked dumb, so he got a clicker counter. Walk into the cell, click click click. after a few cells of that the other CO told him to throw the fucking clicker away. poor grimace.

the assistant warden was a giant asshole. he had a cardboard trump in his office. the captain was a huge asshole too. he tried to run the place like a pen, except they were way too incompetent to do that.
    Is there as much of a rampant drug problem in federal prison as there is in state?

yeah, plenty of k2 zombies. it doesn't show up on drug tests and you can send it in via legal mail. suboxone was the other drug of choice. we called them k2 zombies because they would shamble around after getting high, in one unit at nights it was like the walking dead. You would hear a crack as someone fell over then uuuughgggnn. I get why they do it, they're so fucking bored that all they want to do is pass the time and it lets them do it. then eventually they would fall out or trip and puke on the floor and get sent to the shu.

This discussion has been closed.