Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Wait, Kowloon? As in Kowloon Walled City? A dungeon crawler set in that real life grungy urban maze?

That sounds crazy.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Omnibus wrote: »

Holy fuck this is right up my alley.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Yeah, that looks really cool.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    From what I’ve gathered through osmosis, Umineko is a murder mystery visual novel, in which
    a cabal of witches murdered a bunch of people at a party with magic. And it’s the main character’s job to figure out what happened that night, and to argue with the witches whether or not they, magic, the party, or the murders, are even real.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Omnibus wrote: »

kowloon-high-school-chronicle-switch-screenshot03.jpg

They're not wrong through, hot dogs are the pillar of all seasons.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Ah beans, my left joycon has started to drift. I'll try cleaning the stick before sending it in. I guess it's been a good run for a near-release Switch. But then again, I'm currently watching my son play SNES with the original controllers that came with that system and am longing for the days when Nintendo meant "this shit don't break."

• Options
    Cruor wrote: »
    Ah beans, my left joycon has started to drift. I'll try cleaning the stick before sending it in. I guess it's been a good run for a near-release Switch. But then again, I'm currently watching my son play SNES with the original controllers that came with that system and am longing for the days when Nintendo meant "this shit don't break."

Well, the SNES is the only console they have made that didn't break (and maybe the famicom). The US NES had issues with the cartridge slot design, the n64 had issues with the control stick, the gamecube with the disk drive, the wii with being made super cheap, the wii u with the pad, and now the switch with the joycons.

• Options
    My original NES and n64 controllers are also in good working order, but yeah, there are issues with each but not on the order/with the rapidity of the joycon issue.

• Options
    A lot of those are way overstated. I have most of those and no part of them ever broke. I don't know anyone who had a broken Cube disc drive, and I don't understand the Wii "being made super cheap?" Like are you implying they were break-prone? What broke the most with the Wii was peoples' TVs when they flung remotes through them...and the remotes would continue to work.

The only thing I can remember on the level of Switch joycon drift is DS Lite hinge crack, maybe? But much of the time that didn't even stop you from enjoying the games, it was just sad to have happen to you. But I have like 6 DSs/3DSs and none of them have anything broken on them. Not to mention the rock solid GBs and GBAs before them.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I’ve never heard of issues with the Cube drive. And Wii’s are pretty sturdy, I’m not aware of any issues there either.

The SNES is the perfect console though, yes.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    NO

It turned yellow over time!

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I’ve never heard of issues with the Cube drive. And Wii’s are pretty sturdy, I’m not aware of any issues there either.

The SNES is the perfect console though, yes.

The GameCube did have issues with the power supply. It wasn't super widespread, but it was enough to know to test turning the system on a few times before accepting it as trade in.

The Wii had some issues with the video card overheating.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Quit bellyaching over defective official controllers and take your chances with Chinese knock-offs!

This time, it's the Bin-Bok joycons, which are more trying to copy the monstrous Hori Split-pad Pro than anything by Nintendo. Although one review rated them slightly less comfortable than said Horis, there's a bunch of additional features for the same $50:

- battery, wireless, and a grip to become a controller
    - (non-HD) rumble, with adjustable intensity
    - adjustable RGB lighting around the analog sticks
    - (also has 2 programmable macro paddles like the hori)

Main downside seems to be the d-pad having zero pivot and being quite mushy, which is disappointing when the split-pad has probably the 2nd best handheld d-pad for Switch. But the analogs are solid if you are playing actual modern-style games, and no worse than Nintendo's directional buttons.

https://youtu.be/VRuMHNveCzw

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    My Gamecube controllers that I got at launch still work. Which given they've gone through probably a combined 1000+ hours of Smash Bros across four separate entries, plus also a ton of other games, and something like five house moves, plus the fact that this was twenty goddamn years ago, is genuinely pretty impressive. These things are *sturdy*.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    There was a video of somebody dragging a Cube behind a car down a rocky road. They hooked it back up after and booted just fine.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    There was a video of somebody dragging a Cube behind a car down a rocky road. They hooked it back up after and booted just fine.

I remember a video of a Gamecube being thrown off of a parking garage or something like that. The pop-up top broke (as in it wouldn't stay shut, it didn't fall off), but if you put something on top of it, it still booted properly. Incredibly robust thing.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

I remember a video of a Gamecube being thrown off of a parking garage or something like that. The pop-up top broke (as in it wouldn't stay shut, it didn't fall off), but if you put something on top of it, it still booted properly. Incredibly robust thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoD6zzd35mc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioWnoOjP9IA

Morgan Webb's destruction video is pretty cheesy, but the idiot kids with the truck and the rope have always made laugh.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I’ve had mixed experiences with past Nintendo consoles.

NES - fine for the most part aside from the standard start up cartridge contact difficulties.

SNES - had to send back for repair later in its life. Was erasing my save games (had to restart Chrono Trigger) but had the best customer service experience ever.

N64 - no problems.

Gamecube - no problems aside from 1 controller eventually getting drift.

Wii - big problems, sent back for repair 7 times. Repeated “video card rot”. Garbage console IMO.

Wii U - launch unit died after 1 week. No problem with replacement except its uncanny habit of gathering dust.

Switch - Recently had Joycon drift.

Also had a DS and 3DS with cracked hinges. The Gameboy lines were the big winners - no problems to speak of. Wii was definitely the stinker.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I feel lucky that the only Nintendo hardware issue I've had was the contact issue with my NES.

Had sticks go bad on n64 controllers but that was from stick twisting insanity of playing the first Mario Party with friends

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I literally streamed Metal Arms and 1080 Avalanche from my black launch GameCube two nights ago, using the controller that it came with when I got it.

https://youtu.be/3B8tM-etWYE

That thing is a tank.

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Prior to experiencing drift the Wii was the only console I had with problems. I had it in my entertainment center with the doors closed and it was left on. I assume the graphics card overheated. You can turn it on and hear it working, but you can't see anything. Really frustrating.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    Yeah, the wii had some serious issues that didn't crop up until later. It is possible that they were remedied in later editions of the console.

The game cube issue I mentioned may not be as widespread as I thought, but there are game cubes that had disk drive failures after prolonged use. It may have also been an early generation console thing.

The entire game boy line was certainly good, but the ds line really makes me sad. Both of my ds lites are beautiful and in what would be great shape except the shoulder buttons don't work well. I clean them and they work for a little it and then they're back to being unreliable. It's a real shame because they would be the best handheld Nintendo designed if it weren't for that and the hinge issues.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Started in on Phoenix Wright 3. Game opens with Phoenix wearing a mask, because he is sick and doesn't want to spread it. Oddly timely.

Fry on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Tech was also comparatively less complicated back then. A SNES has nowhere near the same level of moving parts as a Switch. They had the durability of a brick because it basically was a brick. A plastic shell holding a single motherboard. There's just so many more points of failure, both hardware and software, on new tech these days due to their more complicated nature.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Tech was also comparatively less complicated back then. A SNES has nowhere near the same level of moving parts as a Switch. They had the durability of a brick because it basically was a brick. A plastic shell holding a single motherboard. There's just so many more points of failure, both hardware and software, on new tech these days due to their more complicated nature.

I'm sorry but there isn't an excuse for the joycon drift issue. The vita has thumb sticks with similarly sized internals and I've never heard of them wearing out from normal use. My ps1 dual shock controllers still have working sticks, etc

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

I'm sorry but there isn't an excuse for the joycon drift issue. The vita has thumb sticks with similarly sized internals and I've never heard of them wearing out from normal use. My ps1 dual shock controllers still have working sticks, etc

Never said it excuses it. Just that I can understand where the point of failure comes from. Your Vita and DS1 controllers still don't have anywhere near the level of sophistication in them compared to the stuff inside a joycon's half inch, 2 inch wide shell. There's what, 8 buttons, gyroscope, bluetooth antenna, and IR camera in one? In order to get all that into a shell that small, they went with a different designed analog stick. That design is now very clearly in error. It's also a problem of their own doing. It's not like the joycons needed to be this advanced and small. It kind of reminds me of the DS Lite of all things. A GBA cartridge in the slot would stick out half an inch. It's because everything in that shell has been compacted down as much as it could go. But... you could have made the dang thing half an inch wider to avoid this little aesthetic issue.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Going through a backlog of pixelly indie platformers, boy there sure are a lot of those but I'm a sucker for 'em. Carrion is so gross and squishy and wretched and I love it.

Beat Carrion. The game is at its best when you are a horrendous nightmare rampaging your way through the map, devouring any puny humans who are in your way. That is a decent chunk of the game, but unfortunately there are also a bunch of fiddly Metroidvania puzzles where you have to figure out how to flip a switch in one place to open up a door in another place. By the end I found myself wanting to unleash total carnage, but instead I was backtracking through the map in circles looking for a switch or door I missed. Still, the game is short enough that it stays mostly fun throughout and then ends just as it's starting to wear out its welcome. Would be great for an October horror games marathon or something.

Think I'll do Katana Zero next.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Nintendo sources the joy-con sticks because they are cheap. That's it. The exact same part is used in tons of other Chinese products and that's also why you can order replacements so easily. Switch was initially built with as much off-the-shelf stuff as they could find to lower risk, like using the Tegra X1, an old chip that failed to find its market under NVIDIA. Now that Switch has taken off they could step in at any point with a custom designed and manufactured stick but are too busy making $texas to bother right now.

• Options

Never said it excuses it. Just that I can understand where the point of failure comes from. Your Vita and DS1 controllers still don't have anywhere near the level of sophistication in them compared to the stuff inside a joycon's half inch, 2 inch wide shell. There's what, 8 buttons, gyroscope, bluetooth antenna, and IR camera in one? In order to get all that into a shell that small, they went with a different designed analog stick. That design is now very clearly in error. It's also a problem of their own doing. It's not like the joycons needed to be this advanced and small. It kind of reminds me of the DS Lite of all things. A GBA cartridge in the slot would stick out half an inch. It's because everything in that shell has been compacted down as much as it could go. But... you could have made the dang thing half an inch wider to avoid this little aesthetic issue.

The actual vita control stick module is the same size as the one in the switch, is what I am getting at.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Nintendo sources the joy-con sticks because they are cheap. That's it. The exact same part is used in tons of other Chinese products and that's also why you can order replacements so easily. Switch was initially built with as much off-the-shelf stuff as they could find to lower risk, like using the Tegra X1, an old chip that failed to find its market under NVIDIA. Now that Switch has taken off they could step in at any point with a custom designed and manufactured stick but are too busy making $texas to bother right now.

I think it wouldn't be so much of an issue if they didn't spend the entire time denying up and down that there was ever a problem. And then they're quietly like okay we'll fix it for free, but we still won't admit there's a problem. And now they can't admit it or they'd immediately lose the class actions.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »

Well, the SNES is the only console they have made that didn't break (and maybe the famicom). The US NES had issues with the cartridge slot design, the n64 had issues with the control stick, the gamecube with the disk drive, the wii with being made super cheap, the wii u with the pad, and now the switch with the joycons.

The Famicom did initially launch with a defect which led to the company issuing an expensive recall.

As for GameCube, I hear the faulty reset button mine is suffering from isn't too uncommon.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Never had any problems with any Nintendo console (NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, GB, GBA, GBA SP, GBA Player, DS, DSlite, 3DS, N3DS, Switch) except the Wii U. That fucker had a terrible problem with freezing up and blaring a really annoying high pitched buzz over the speakers.

Good gravy I've had a lot of Nintendos in my life.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

That's surprising, given the previous portable from Sony. My PSP became completely unplayable from drift pretty quickly, and that stick was basically only used for Monster Hunter, because every other game I liked on the PSP was played with the D-pad. I guess after the PSP they learned to not cheap out on the sticks.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    My only issue is that the right hinge on my 3DS broke entirely, unhooking the top from the bottom on that side.

The thing still works, I just have to precariously balance it when playing to not put pressure on the left hinge.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I had stick drift on the Wii U game pad.

I was told to blow into the stick's well, and that did indeed fix it.

I wish it was that easy to fix drift on joycons.

• Options
    Drascin wrote: »

That's surprising, given the previous portable from Sony. My PSP became completely unplayable from drift pretty quickly, and that stick was basically only used for Monster Hunter, because every other game I liked on the PSP was played with the D-pad. I guess after the PSP they learned to not cheap out on the sticks.

The psp stick was weird and is more like the stick on the 3ds where it's some weird captive slider thing. The vita thumb sticks are full analog thumb sticks like the ones on the switch. I'm not really sure why they went with that style of stick for the psp.

• Options
    I'm so fucking glad they didn't use the PSP stick or the 3DS stick for the Switch. I absolutely hate that damn joystick.

• Options
    I cleaned out my joystick that was drifting and it seems to have fixed it for now. We'll see how long it lasts!

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Yoooo. These fucking WMD sections in Age of Calamity need to fuck off forever. Each one is somehow managing to be worse than the previous.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    I dunno... It was pretty satisfying to blast the fuck out of a bunch of guys with the laser. And they're super easy and short.