Options

Painting Thread a retrospective

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    I hate edge highlighting. In related news today I edge highlighted my Repulsor, redemptor, Invictor and 3 outriders.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I need to be able to press both the agree and awesome buttons

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    I need to be able to press both the agree and awesome buttons
    Let me help you with that, friend.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Edge highlighting is super fun thou...

Oh a tank. Yeah fuck edge highlighting tanks.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Asher wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »
    Looks fantastic. Is that armour airbrush plus a single highlight? really good effect.

Close!
    The armour is:
    AIRBRUSH
    All over Castellan Green
    Rhinox Hide into lower areas and recesses for shading
    Staken green highight
    Ogryn Camo hilight (but just the very raised areas)

Then with brush
    Black (Brown?) line with watered down Rhinox Hide to just make the shadows clearer.
    Edge highlight with Ogryn Camo

I'm going to have to remember this, since it's pretty much the scheme I've been going with Primaris (someday I might game in person again and actually have to explain why 30K marines are green, post heresey marines are brown, and primaris are back to green again. :razz: )

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    So thanks to a generous gift as part of the Secret Santa, going to get a color mini from Hero Forge. Here's what the render shows. I'm interested to see how it turns out in reality and what kind of touch up I'll have to do, beyond a wash.

mc7dud0yjy2q.png
    rf2s52l6cz16.png

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Yeah, no kidding. The spotting in particular will be interesting to see.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I'll be curious to see how some of that baked-in edge highlighting comes through. There's just...so much of it!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I need to buck up and see if I can do anything with the airbrush kit I got for Christmas. My bro said it doesn't really hold pressure very well, which makes sense for canned air, but I would like to at least use it, you know?

QwhRpMtl.jpg

Though maybe it's not worth the effort... I am having the devil's time getting it screwed on properly, and I can hear it hissing whenever I have it attached. Worse still, when I press on the button it's a straight on/off with no control. Which, at that point, I might as well be using rattle cans?

The main thing I want to have an airbrush for, as I've said before, is A) topcoating my gunpla, and B) priming my minis. I do have all these rattle cans of army painter primer, but they just apply so heavily and I can't use them most of the year it seems. So I'd like to get a hood... and most hoods aren't rated for rattle cans.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Fr the pressure thing, you can try dunking the canister in warm water; that should keep it going a bit longer.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    Hey, what's the appropriate way to paint something that is mostly black? In this case a black dragon-born. I didn't have a lot of luck finding guidance on how to paint like black dragons. My instinct suggests I need to use varying shades of dark gray but I'm concerned my result will be a gray dragon.

Advice appreciated! In exchange some progress photos. I know I'm still pretty noob but working on it!

http://imgur.com/a/9dlDzGd

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    The simplified scheme I use for blacks, stolen from Angel Giraldez, is:

Base coat dark grey mixed with dark blue
    Wash black
    Highlight lighter grey mixed with pink

Sound like it shouldn't work on paper but provides a really nice contrast that gets the darkness of the black across appropriately.

• Options
    One of my favorite painters right now online is Gravehammer His Tzeenth daemons are a lot of fun with a monochrome base, subtle metals, and brightly colored highlights.

I'm trying to push outside my comfort zone and get better at more artistic mini painting rather than, what often seems to me, to be GW's very paint by numbers style of painting tutorials.

I knocked out this fiend last week using my airbrush for everything but the metals, and oil washes rather than acrylics. I'm pretty happy with it. There's a bit of speckling in the pic... some of the gold flake ran off that wax gold I've been trying when I applied the oil wash. It's actually kind of a neat effect in person.

nwf3d8yvswd5.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Made some minor progress on my painting backlog this weekend.

Buying a wet palette has really been a game changer, with making setup so much easier than fumbling with my homemade wet palette (I swear it was like one of those informercials where the actor cant figure out how to open a milk carton, use saran wrap, or close a ziplock bag).
    3hhwiqfkoiii.jpeg

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    My portable airbrush spray booth came in. I don't think it can handle rattlecans, and frankly I'm not ready to start using it, so I'm gonna loan it to my brother who is doing airbrush work.

I will say, this has the most Engrish instruction manual I've ever read. Absolutely horrible translations.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    In both RL for different reasons and online for models I see people talking about harbor freight's airbrush
    They mostly talk about the price {10 to 100 dollars} I am curious but the store is closed when I am usually look

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    That explains it, my father knows tangentially about my painting hobby and keeps asking me about getting me an airbrush as a gift. It's a nice thought, but I dont want to mess with it and the space I'm in will be a hassle to use it.

Him seeing them at harbor freight put the final domino into place on why it keeps coming up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gonna do another cheeky insta repost because I feel liek Imgur deep fries the pictures and not in a good way:

I am super SUPER happy with how these fellas are turning out. I think I'm back to where I was a few years ago, where whatever I painted last is the best thing I've painted, except I think that I'm at an even better point. Mega happy with these dudes and my Infinity JSA (Who I can't remember if I posted here?)

• Options
    Gonna do another cheeky insta repost because I feel liek Imgur deep fries the pictures and not in a good way:

Do you mind explaining your suspicion? I've been using Imgur now for a while out of convenience, but I'm always looking to improve my Picture Sharing game and now you've got me curious.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    TBH I don't really have anything to back it up, except a feeling that whenever I upload things to Imgur they come out a bit ...rough? I'm no computer file format guy, but they just seems a bit worse. I'll experiment and try uploading the same pics I put on instagram and see if its all in my mind :P

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Its such a fuckin faff though. Unless you have some hot tips for instagram on the desktop.

• Options
    Yoooooooo
    XOFf6Pb.png?1
    I got on TeeVee

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    The simplified scheme I use for blacks, stolen from Angel Giraldez, is:

Base coat dark grey mixed with dark blue
    Wash black
    Highlight lighter grey mixed with pink

Sound like it shouldn't work on paper but provides a really nice contrast that gets the darkness of the black across appropriately.

The reason it works is color theory

You don’t ever want to paint black, basically because it just lacks definition

But doing a really dark blue (usually for cold blacks) or dark purple (usually for warm blacks) actually looks darker because you can more easily create contrast

• Options
    Yoooooooo
    XOFf6Pb.png?1
    I got on TeeVee

How?

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Yoooooooo
    XOFf6Pb.png?1
    I got on TeeVee

It's easy being green.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    I knocked out my Sisters Repentia this week. Painted in an evening and based/bloodied the next day.

I'm really happy with how they turned out... I wanted them to come out more like the book art (spoilered) than the box art. Super grimdark, gritty and like they've been through what you'd expect Repentia to have been through on the battlefield. I also did a lot of work with airbrushed inks and oil washes for their skin and only used a brush for the black outfits and metal.

Anyway... tadaaaaa

Of the models I've painted across all the minis I own, the Repentia with the three chains swinging from her back might be my favorite ever.
    kzzjwymskj1p.jpg

gm8zag2yj6s8.jpg
    pw9ih3y8bog8.jpg
    e4xz3pdcg18l.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Those repentia look phenomenal!
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Yoooooooo
    Snip
    I got on TeeVee

How?

By engaging in the social medias. I always use the warhammer community hashtag and they just slid into my dms and asked if they could use it.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Thank you Asher!

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Yeah I used to put painted GW minis up on instagram with the relevant hashtags and a couple times they asked if they could use the photos. I think a few showed up on the webstore at some point.

Never showed up on a stream that I'm aware of so we are in elite company it would seem.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Instagram as an app is trash but it's just pictures with limited ability to chat so it's easier to keep it focused on hobby stuff than, say, Twitter.
    Hobby Twitter is always full of people falling out with each other, secretly turning out to be massive bellends, complaining about everything GW does, etc
    I lurk a few FB groups but that place is basically a cesspit for the hobby

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    I forgot my twitter log info so no loss there. I don't use instagram as it's F the poor ideals. and my facebook account is devoid of info for various reasons and I just use it to talk to GW anymore

But yay my glue finally arrived!
    mf1u379n0sgk.jpg
    I can continue to build upon my massive painting backlog {I really added to this last year to keep myself sane working a job going to hell and the pandemic} I have not built anything since before halloween and it seems like more than 3 months ago

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Instagram as an app is trash but it's just pictures with limited ability to chat so it's easier to keep it focused on hobby stuff than, say, Twitter.
    Hobby Twitter is always full of people falling out with each other, secretly turning out to be massive bellends, complaining about everything GW does, etc
    I lurk a few FB groups but that place is basically a cesspit for the hobby

FB is just a cesspit, period.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Yeah I used to put painted GW minis up on instagram with the relevant hashtags and a couple times they asked if they could use the photos. I think a few showed up on the webstore at some point.

Never showed up on a stream that I'm aware of so we are in elite company it would seem.

Look, I don't want to brag, but Duncan liked one of my Facebook posts once 8-)

And yes facebook is a cesspit. I've curated mine to being 90% hobby posts with the other 10% being non awful relatives and friends. I've been mega ruthless about cutting anyone who shows chuds like tendencies and it's paid dividends in mental health.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So I'm doing the wizkids paint competition thing at my LGS. It is a big snake this time. I want to do the back scales in a red/green colorshift with red forest from green stuff world but I'm not sure what to paint the underside.

Also need to figure out how I'm going to base it. Feeling pretty excited about doing this.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    So I'm doing the wizkids paint competition thing at my LGS. It is a big snake this time. I want to do the back scales in a red/green colorshift with red forest from green stuff world but I'm not sure what to paint the underside.

Also need to figure out how I'm going to base it. Feeling pretty excited about doing this.

Two ideas come to mind:
    1) You don't want to distract from the red/green, so maybe a black to deep grey?
    2) This might be a little out there, but is there a blue/orange colorshift? Then you could do a RG/BO tetrad. It might not work completely, but it would be interesting looking!

As for a base, what biome is it coming from? Desert? Swampy bog? Sulfurous hellscape? Or maybe something simple, to (again) not distract from the model?

• Options
    Nips wrote: »

Two ideas come to mind:
    1) You don't want to distract from the red/green, so maybe a black to deep grey?
    2) This might be a little out there, but is there a blue/orange colorshift? Then you could do a RG/BO tetrad. It might not work completely, but it would be interesting looking!

As for a base, what biome is it coming from? Desert? Swampy bog? Sulfurous hellscape? Or maybe something simple, to (again) not distract from the model?

There aren't any blue/orange colorshift paints which is a bummer, I'd really like that combination. I think I'll do corvus black on the underside though.

For the base I was thinking of a jungle base but I'm not really sure what to add to make a jungle base. There isn't really much space on the base.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Vallejo makes an orange/purple one; dunno if that is close enough? Purple might even work better with the green.

Edit: Let Them Eat Cake by Turbodork is a dark blue/orange according to their marketing, might be worth a look too…

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    A little hard to see the red/green transition.
    p7lbnfzvecqm.jpeg
    u34e16r9yo5a.jpeg
    2pro1js7fte5.jpeg

What wash would look good? Was thinking of using gloss reikland fleshshade.

Stragint on

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Man, Legion model quality varies wildly

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    A little hard to see the red/green transition.
    p7lbnfzvecqm.jpeg
    u34e16r9yo5a.jpeg
    2pro1js7fte5.jpeg

What wash would look good? Was thinking of using gloss reikland fleshshade.

I can definitely see the color shift! It's muted, but noticeable. Looks really good, but I'm wondering what you could do to make it pop more. More coats, or a drybrush (does that even work?)?

I'd be afraid a wash might dull the colors even more. Snakes aren't exactly known for subtle colors.