As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Painting Thread a retrospective

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Man, Legion model quality varies wildly

Soooooooo much. Whatcha building?

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »
    A little hard to see the red/green transition.
    p7lbnfzvecqm.jpeg
    u34e16r9yo5a.jpeg
    2pro1js7fte5.jpeg

What wash would look good? Was thinking of using gloss reikland fleshshade.

I can definitely see the color shift! It's muted, but noticeable. Looks really good, but I'm wondering what you could do to make it pop more. More coats, or a drybrush (does that even work?)?

I'd be afraid a wash might dull the colors even more. Snakes aren't exactly known for subtle colors.

Yea, some more coats might be good. I only did 3.

Gloss washes usually do well with not messing up vibrancy though I am a little worried about doing it in general. The c'tan I painted with colorshift looked fine with the gloss wash I think.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Asher wrote: »
    Man, Legion model quality varies wildly

Soooooooo much. Whatcha building?

Started with the AT-ST which was good. Not crazy about it coming half built but the model was well made. Now I'm doing the base set and yikes.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah the really early stuff is dire. I've posted the original Luke and Leia in the thread and they are so bad. The Rebel troops aren't bad sculpts, just potato detail.
    Interesting that the AT-ST came half assembled. I just got a T-47 and same deal. The main chassis was stuck together so all you have to do is stick on the guns and flaps.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Yeah the really early stuff is dire. I've posted the original Luke and Leia in the thread and they are so bad. The Rebel troops aren't bad sculpts, just potato detail.
    Interesting that the AT-ST came half assembled. I just got a T-47 and same deal. The main chassis was stuck together so all you have to do is stick on the guns and flaps.

Yeah ATST had the whole head as a solid assembly. You put the legs and weapons together, that's it. Its not a big deal I suppose, all the joints are mobile and its not like Im going to kitbash it. Just odd coming from Warhammer.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Legions approach to models has been a weird evolution. From PVC soft plastics that are just plug fit, some half assembled HIPS kits to now proper sprue HIPS kits. the Clone Wars era stuff has been great, even the PVC stuff and theres not much of that. Like, Phase 1 Clones and their upgrade, Rex, Dooku? Everything else is very nice.

• Options
    Did two more layers of the red/green colorshift paint on the snake and then I sealed it with gloss varnish. I'm gonna cover the areas where the underbelly shows with corvus black and highlight with mechanicus standard grey. Not sure what I want to do with the eyes, mouth, or base yet.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Legions approach to models has been a weird evolution. From PVC soft plastics that are just plug fit, some half assembled HIPS kits to now proper sprue HIPS kits. the Clone Wars era stuff has been great, even the PVC stuff and theres not much of that. Like, Phase 1 Clones and their upgrade, Rex, Dooku? Everything else is very nice.

I wonder if there was a "Hey is this product actually going to take off?" mentality back in the beginning, and once the numbers panned out the upped the quality.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    webguy20 wrote: »

I wonder if there was a "Hey is this product actually going to take off?" mentality back in the beginning, and once the numbers panned out the upped the quality.

Almost definitely. Even amongst the PVC stuff, there's a definite jump in quality. Honestly, it's mostly fine. Aside from like Ron Pearlman as Princess Leia, it does the job. Because they're based essentially on real people carrying real things, the models have way less extraneous detail to them than a space marine might. They're much closer to something like bolt action miniatures. The iffy early models are saved by being able to do a good paint job very easily.

The better quality models are drastically better though. Just built myself a squad of shoretroopers and death troopers and the details are all incredibly crisp on them.

I will say the air speeder beats the AT-ST for weird pre-builtness because aside from the tips of the guns and some engine flaps its a single part. Edit: Ah I missed this was already mentioned.

Double Edit: I will say, because of when the movies came out, if you want to paint some moustaches, boy is Rebels the army for you.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    Finished the snake.
    al58uag3kvc6.jpeg
    m85dkkb1iud2.jpeg
    idh53w91e185.jpeg
    tybn9y40h8cy.jpeg

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Masters brush cleaner can do magic things. I had a brush I used for basecoating and brush priming that was seemingly at the end of its life. Completely splayed, bristles stuck together, dead.

15 minutes with brush cleaner, and it almost looks new. Probably never able to do detail work, but for basecoating, priming and metallics? Absolutely fine.

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Printed and painted another gift for another friend. A much sillier model this time around.

Yyl8BDg.jpg?1
    JntF23J.jpg?1
    vIj4QFW.jpg?1

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Swolkachu? Pikunshow?

• Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    Pikachud

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Nechriah wrote: »
    Pikachud

and his trainer Chad Thundercock

• Options
    I need to know where you got that.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    I pulled out some mechs to paint this weekend, just trying to figure out which ones to do. They are super tacky and the primer is coming off (slightly) when I pick them up. I primed them in November (back at page 81) and they've sat in the box since then. I've painted others that I primed at the same time and they are not tacky. Same room, so same temperature, humidity, etc. @Nips - both the Beginner Box and GoAC Box are tacky, all the wave 1 stuff is fine.

I've had them in front of a fan for a couple hours and haven't improved, the plastic doesn't seem more flexible than usual, so I'm guessing it is just the primer.

What can I do to de-tackify these? Internet search doesn't seem to give good or consistent advice... so what do?

l7n41RV.png
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Tigliss wrote: »
    I pulled out some mechs to paint this weekend, just trying to figure out which ones to do. They are super tacky and the primer is coming off (slightly) when I pick them up. I primed them in November (back at page 81) and they've sat in the box since then. I've painted others that I primed at the same time and they are not tacky. Same room, so same temperature, humidity, etc. @Nips - both the Beginner Box and GoAC Box are tacky, all the wave 1 stuff is fine.

I've had them in front of a fan for a couple hours and haven't improved, the plastic doesn't seem more flexible than usual, so I'm guessing it is just the primer.

What can I do to de-tackify these? Internet search doesn't seem to give good or consistent advice... so what do?

If it were me, my first reaction would be to strip them with Simple Green then give them a thorough soapy scrub, rinse, and air dry. Start back at zero, and see if the results are the same.

You could just try to forge forward, and see if the first basecoat covers over the primer intact.

I know the early GoaC boxes had figures cast in a softer formula of plastic, but I'm pretty sure it was reformulated before the boxes went wide to retail. It's possible some of the early formula slipped through, but I'd not heard any particular problems with priming. That said, I have had other miniatures that were cast in a soft plastic behave badly with some spray primers and paints, leaving exactly the kind of tacky surface you're describing. Most of those got used up in terrain projects I eventually varnished (heavily) over, but the handful I had left over in my box...I'm not sure they've ever stopped feeling tacky. I'd have to check, but then we're talking on timescales of years between spraying and final work, and I'm pretty sure that's not helpful!

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    TiglissTigliss Registered User regular

If it were me, my first reaction would be to strip them with Simple Green then give them a thorough soapy scrub, rinse, and air dry. Start back at zero, and see if the results are the same.

You could just try to forge forward, and see if the first basecoat covers over the primer intact.

I know the early GoaC boxes had figures cast in a softer formula of plastic, but I'm pretty sure it was reformulated before the boxes went wide to retail. It's possible some of the early formula slipped through, but I'd not heard any particular problems with priming. That said, I have had other miniatures that were cast in a soft plastic behave badly with some spray primers and paints, leaving exactly the kind of tacky surface you're describing. Most of those got used up in terrain projects I eventually varnished (heavily) over, but the handful I had left over in my box...I'm not sure they've ever stopped feeling tacky. I'd have to check, but then we're talking on timescales of years between spraying and final work, and I'm pretty sure that's not helpful!

I do have an early GoaC and Beginner Box, got them at GenCon when they were released and they are way softer than the wave 1. I tried isopropyl and toothbrush on one and took it from tacky enough to lift off the table to just slightly grippy. I'll see if I can get away with painting over that one, if not Simple Green, if that doesn't work... More Mechs!

l7n41RV.png
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular

I do have an early GoaC and Beginner Box, got them at GenCon when they were released and they are way softer than the wave 1. I tried isopropyl and toothbrush on one and took it from tacky enough to lift off the table to just slightly grippy. I'll see if I can get away with painting over that one, if not Simple Green, if that doesn't work... More Mechs!

Okay, yeah, that's exactly the vintage that hit street before the plastic reformulation. Good luck!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    xEqmOTj.jpg
    Facetime!
    Got bored doing real painting so smashed out a bunch of faces.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Wooo my hero forge mini shipped. Time to get my painting station set up.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Dorf team test article:
    t842robymdfv.gif
    Sorry for crappy gif.

Do the colours work OK?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2021
    o4nyhg0nvdq2.jpeg

Hello this is my death guard scheme

I’m going to change the rim color to probably be a dark blue/green color

And for the horns, either do them in a natural, cold white/grey color

OR

do some kind of purple fade to a bright orange for insane contrast

Edit: photo updated

But good for a test model IMO

Vanguard on
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Black rims for life!

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Looking for opinions/feedback... Marco Frisoni and a few other people I follow have recently done examples of "Grisaille" painting where they're mostly using glazes or contrasts over very heavily underpainted models to sketch out the light on the model before adding color but they're all using very greyscale schemes with grays highlighted and sketched up through pure white, resulting in largely cooler tones on their models.

If one were to attempt the same thing but wanted a warmer tone, what colors (GW specifically) would you use?

Start with wraithbone as your basetone and work to pure white with something like pallid witch flesh or screaming skull as a midtone? Or use wraithbone as a midtone and start with zandri dust or another darker tan color with white as a final hightlight?

Marco's video spoilered for reference:

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    J wrote: »
    Black rims for life!

With orange rust washed into the corners and rivets

Oh, wait, this is about the base rim?

Anyway, some bright rust wash might work with the colder armour

honovere on
  • Options
    Khraul wrote: »
    Looking for opinions/feedback... Marco Frisoni and a few other people I follow have recently done examples of "Grisaille" painting where they're mostly using glazes or contrasts over very heavily underpainted models to sketch out the light on the model before adding color but they're all using very greyscale schemes with grays highlighted and sketched up through pure white, resulting in largely cooler tones on their models.

If one were to attempt the same thing but wanted a warmer tone, what colors (GW specifically) would you use?

Start with wraithbone as your basetone and work to pure white with something like pallid witch flesh or screaming skull as a midtone? Or use wraithbone as a midtone and start with zandri dust or another darker tan color with white as a final hightlight?

Marco's video spoilered for reference:

Get a darker starting point. Like Rhinox Hide or something. The whole idea with Grisaille is to start with a very dark tone and build it up from there. If you start with Wraithbone you're not going to have much contrast when the contrasts and oils come out.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Also in the video he does some air brushing and then does the detailing by hand. Obviously it works, but you might try doing the air brush step and then a lot of dry brushing, building up to brighter tones with each coat.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    i actually had to write down my paint scheme for this since there are so many laters

24 goddamn paints to get that outcome

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    i actually had to write down my paint scheme for this since there are so many laters

The veiled path harlequins are about 33? Paints I lack 12 of them which is my debate about the 12 mile ride to the gw store to get them and the sprays to tackle my backlog

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

The veiled path harlequins are about 33? Paints I lack 12 of them which is my debate about the 12 mile ride to the gw store to get them and the sprays to tackle my backlog

I walked 7.( miles round trip earlier this week to get a lord of virulence - do it!

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

I walked 7.( miles round trip earlier this week to get a lord of virulence - do it!

I know as there are things like the newest cryptek, the necron codex and others that I can easily get a coin for but I am on the fence for the Slaanesh one
    A drukhari sure! a necron maybe! a tyranid depends a craftworld yes I feel the realm lords is next month so again it's not bike riding weather {constant winds this week and the sad fact the GW store is open on the days I work so it makes it a even harder trip as I work nights}

• Options
    Also in the video he does some air brushing and then does the detailing by hand. Obviously it works, but you might try doing the air brush step and then a lot of dry brushing, building up to brighter tones with each coat.

I'll likely try both, but I think I'm already going to prefer something that starts with airbrush zenithals as it's what I'm already pretty familiar with.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

Someone needs to step into the wonderful world of mixing paint.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options

This is a skill I'd like to work on, but how do you keep your paint schemes uniform across multiple models?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    The secret is you don't have to get a super exact ratio every time, no one is going to notice if your red:brown is a little off on one model compared to another, I have a white tile I use for mixing so I just glob a couple of drops of paint on there and keep adding till I get a colour that looks like what I want, you don't really need precise measurements for this sort of thing.

• Options

Mixing paint would slow me down for this, I think

• Options
    Has anyone else gotten really poor results with Corax White rattle can base sprays? Really thick detail destroying layers with a lot of bubbling and inconsistent texture.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg