As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam]-heim. Valhalla has no backlogs.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Neat. We own DoW Soulstorm and Rise of Nations. I'll go back and check those out.

What about the Warhammer Armada games? They look awesome, but how complex (and difficult) are they?

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Ok, my friends. I need some help with game recommendations for the kiddos. Specifically looking to get something new for the 9 year old.

He loves the strategy and RTS genres. He has Civ 6, but we also play a lot of C&C (The brood owns just about everything now thanks to sales, except for 4), Dawn of War, and some of the older Star Wars RTS games.

He had a good run of Civ, but I noticed he plays A LOT of the conquer the galaxy mode in Star Wars: Empire at War. Like A LOT A LOT. He'll spend hours just doing it. He also found the Risk style side of C&C 3, and he's constantly into that. He mostly skips the actual battles in C&C, but he does play the space battles in Star Wars.

That being said, I never got much into the 4X type of games. It was always RPGs or RTS for dad here.

Suggestions on a 4X "conquer the galaxy" game that has space battles where you can potentially direct units, but is also not so overwhelming that a younger kid could mostly figure it out, even if it's on the easier difficulties?

You probably can't go wrong with these two classics, which are on GOG, run fine on Win10, and are as engaging as ever:

Master of Orion (1993) - Ship combat can be manually directed or automatically resolved. Economy management is performed via a handful of sliders. Games on a small galaxy map can be fairly quick, while the huge maps can present an epic fight against an AI empire that has grown immense in size at the expense of its neighbors.

Master of Orion II (1996) - Expands the economic model and offers more diplomacy options. Allows you start either at the bottom or further up the tech tree, up to and including starting with warships already awaiting orders. Adds custom races, with a ton of choices, some of which can really help with the learning curve coming over to it from the first game. Looks quite a bit prettier than it's predecessor, although there's a good deal of charm in the original's artwork. And offers much more control over ships in battle.

I'd probably suggest these two games for any age group, really, as an introduction to galactic 4X games. They're not just influential like the original Doom is influential. They're relevant today in a way where they might just be the toughest competition new entries in the genre are up against.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    MoO3 is hot garbage, galciv 2 is superior.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    MoO3 is hot garbage, galciv 2 is superior.

No argument here. After two brilliant games, the third entry in that franchise is a hard pass.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Moo2 is wonderful, and the funny thing is that while there are many games that pop up trying to compete with that style directly, and many are quite good I still find myself playing Moo2 every once in a while over them.

One other classic game that I would recommend isn’t really conquer the galaxy but is still a classic 4x with tactical combat that hasn’t really been matched was Heroes of Might and Magic 3. There has been a HD remaster recently I think.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    MoO2 is still the game by which I judge every new entry in the space 4x scene.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I've dusted Shadowrun: Dragonfall off my backlog. I never got past the first screen in 2015. I enjoy the lenient XCOM combat (now that I've actually experienced XCOM.)

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Drovek wrote: »
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Oh come on Humble. I want to play Offworld Trading Company, but also I don’t want anyone to ever give Stardock money.

:question:
    q4bubn0egd3p.png

I’m assuming Humble had to pay them something in the first place, granted. Maybe I’m wrong!

I tried looking this up yesterday because I was confused since I thought that you can just slide the slider to 0 and thought the same thing that maybe Humble paid them for the keys. From what I could find on the Internets is that the companies give Humble the keys for free in exchange for exposure, extra money (from whatever is thrown their way), possible new customers, future DLC sales, etc. So maaaybe no money will go to Stardock if you push that slider to 0.

Edit: Really poor writing.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Several things from this morning.

Infestations are way easier to tackle when you start with a car.
    A zombie ripped off my car door. Can I ever repair it or am I just looking for a new car at this point?
    The first plague heart was definitely a "yo, here's what a plague heart is" sort of deal. The second one (admittedly at night) was much more difficult. I'm glad a brought a second person with me. But now we both need time in the med tent because we're a little infected.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Thanks for the recommendation on MoO. Looks like Steam also has both as a package for $6.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    jclast wrote: »
    Several things from this morning.

Infestations are way easier to tackle when you start with a car.
    A zombie ripped off my car door. Can I ever repair it or am I just looking for a new car at this point?
    The first plague heart was definitely a "yo, here's what a plague heart is" sort of deal. The second one (admittedly at night) was much more difficult. I'm glad a brought a second person with me. But now we both need time in the med tent because we're a little infected.

SoD1 could repair cars if you had a workshop machine shop as part of your base. Leave the car parked for one in-game day and it would be fixed up. Don't know if that made it to SoD2.

(The STW bug in the first one is also pretty awful.)

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    I've got a machine shop but nobody smart enough to man it. I guess that's my next priority - find some mechanical textbooks and figure out how to turn one of these scrubs into an auto mechanic.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    It's hard to beat Star Wars as a setting.

If you want to Rabbit Hole, Empire At War still has an active modding scene that transforms the game into many more factions and general craziness.
    A similar scene exists for Dawn of War 1.

The primo space 4x is probably Endless Space 2, which is on gamepass I believe, and goes on sale often. There is one DLC that is widely regarded as the "unfun" DLC, otherwise I heard good things.

Total War is very battle forward. The strategy layer isn't where the meat is.
    If you love army mens, then it's great.

Stellaris may be a bit out of reach, that game is much more about slowly gaining an advantage and then pressuring that into dominance. I'd love it more if it leaned harder into event chains.

CK3 is much more up and down, but it will generate frustration. A part of that game is about anticipating upcoming bad events and minimize their impact. It's quite unlike most games in that regard.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    It's hard to beat Star Wars as a setting.

If you want to Rabbit Hole, Empire At War still has an active modding scene that transforms the game into many more factions and general craziness.
    A similar scene exists for Dawn of War 1.

The primo space 4x is probably Endless Space 2, which is on gamepass I believe, and goes on sale often. There is one DLC that is widely regarded as the "unfun" DLC, otherwise I heard good things.

Total War is very battle forward. The strategy layer isn't where the meat is.
    If you love army mens, then it's great.

Stellaris may be a bit out of reach, that game is much more about slowly gaining an advantage and then pressuring that into dominance. I'd love it more if it leaned harder into event chains.

CK3 is much more up and down, but it will generate frustration. A part of that game is about anticipating upcoming bad events and minimize their impact. It's quite unlike most games in that regard.

@Thawmus you may want to tell @ironzerg about your current Endless Space 2 run.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »
    OUTRIDER demo out on STEAM and after the servers caught on fire. . .I am liking the gunplay. Movement feels a little floaty but that's not a big deal. Everything else is a chaotic mess of gibbing and elemental destruction. Prologue goes on a bit too long - mostly because you honestly just want to select your class and start tossing out powers.

. . .also game and the combat "arenas" look freaking great. Character faces are a bit meh though.

It’s essentially a video game ass video game. It’s like the average of all video games. Which is still pretty good, I find the gunplay serviceable but the powers very fun. Tho I’m worried about how repetitive it will get, it’s always hard to tell with these games how much the skill tree and enemy variety will stay fresh

Also the cover system is janky as hell but you basically only use it to wait for your powers to come back or in emergencies

Also I like this armour set you get at the end
    014e107b-d74f-489b-85ae-02f88a5cf575.PNG?sv=2015-12-11&sr=b&si=DefaultAccess&sig=dWQsNCw%2FbWp8hvHynaWSPSLHvIadmQz70hEzz3R5sag%3D

Wait a minute . . . is that Destiny? :rotate:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    @ironzerg Endless Space 2 is amazingly good and has probably the best diplomacy system I've seen out of a 4X game thus far. There's a "pressure" mechanic that is affected by treaties and game score and a few other things, and eventually when there's enough pressure you can just start demanding things. They can either accede to the demand, or they can eat a big penalty for a bunch of turns.

I'm currently playing as Lumeris, where I just pump up the economic volume. I get to really play with the luxuries market and push my trade companies down everyone's throats, and the second anyone turns on me for war, I just, y'know, buy a mercenary fleet and back them down real fast. Plus I can force other factions into a peace treaty, which of course they can rip up into shreds and declare war, sure, but what would the folks back home think about that?

Also, the music. My god, the music in that game is terrific and the soundtrack is worth a purchase alone.

I've been streaming it off and on throughout the past few weeks, but I dunno the rules about posting twitch streams so yeah.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Ok, my friends. I need some help with game recommendations for the kiddos. Specifically looking to get something new for the 9 year old.

He loves the strategy and RTS genres. He has Civ 6, but we also play a lot of C&C (The brood owns just about everything now thanks to sales, except for 4), Dawn of War, and some of the older Star Wars RTS games.

He had a good run of Civ, but I noticed he plays A LOT of the conquer the galaxy mode in Star Wars: Empire at War. Like A LOT A LOT. He'll spend hours just doing it. He also found the Risk style side of C&C 3, and he's constantly into that. He mostly skips the actual battles in C&C, but he does play the space battles in Star Wars.

That being said, I never got much into the 4X type of games. It was always RPGs or RTS for dad here.

Suggestions on a 4X "conquer the galaxy" game that has space battles where you can potentially direct units, but is also not so overwhelming that a younger kid could mostly figure it out, even if it's on the easier difficulties?

Sins of a Solar Empire is kind of a mid-range, where it's 4X mechanics on a smaller map. It's not as big as Stellaris but there's definitely territory control and, with one of the expansions, diplomacy.

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    header.jpg?t=1614330445
    Black Desert Online is free to claim on Seam until next Match 10:
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/582660/Black_Desert_Online/

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    @ironzerg If you're 9yo is playing 4x games then they are WAY smarter than me but, as Thawmus was saying, have a look at Endless Space 2 and maybe Endless Legend for a more land-based but fantasy approach. I've played Endless Legend (poorly) and it has small RTS type battles which you can choose to auto-resolve IIRC.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    @jclast - toolkits are like medkits for your car. Just have a toolkit in your inventory and go to the hood area of the car and you should get a "repair" option popup. Doors will magically reappear! Hoods will reform! Burning engines will extinguish! Bystanders will cheer!

You can find toolkits in random loot or learn to craft them.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    The System Shock remake got a new demo on Steam yesterday. I putzed around in it for a bit. It feels like what I remember of System Shock, though I only played a bit of 2. The starting melee weapon feels a little odd to use but I adjusted readily enough.

Graphics take an interesting approach. The textures have a retro feel (e.g. the up close pixelated look) but the models are much less angular than what we had back then.

You do feel pretty weak at the start but that was what I remember in System Shock 2 too. Worth checking out for fans of the genre.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    So

I'm gonna be honest here.

I didn't know the Crosscode thing today was DLC and not a free update. I didn't read about it because I didn't need to know the info it was more Crosscode that's all I needed.

But I didn't need to discover this on my own because five seconds after it went live this showed up.

nh6NYQT.jpg

I guess I have a reputation. Thank you @Orivon

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    There's also Age of Wonders: Planetfall which is 4x on a few planets, and has (autoresolvable) xcomlite combat.

I didn't play much of it because I bought it during my peak Apex days, but it definitely seemed cool and has gotten a lot of support.

Xcom itself may also be very fun. Saving the world, 1 turn at a time.

The first Xcom keep things pretty basic, Xcom2 with full expansions spins out to complete insanity. It offers pretty tunable difficulty, and more through simple steam workshop mods (for instance, doubling turns in turn limited missions in 2 makes more conservative/unoptimized play possible)

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    @jclast - toolkits are like medkits for your car. Just have a toolkit in your inventory and go to the hood area of the car and you should get a "repair" option popup. Doors will magically reappear! Hoods will reform! Burning engines will extinguish! Bystanders will cheer!

You can find toolkits in random loot or learn to craft them.

I've got a couple of those! I figured they were for engine stuff only since you pop the hood when you use them. Thanks!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I should probably play the entire game again rather than doing this with my NG+ level 99 w/ Sergey's Hacks active save.

Aistan on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Do the DLC on a fresh save but then also do it on the NG+ save just in case there's different dialogue.

• Options
    OrivonOrivon Happy Fun Ball They/ThemRegistered User regular
    @Malakaius is instigating things in chat and @DaringDirk sent me a gift.
    rud7u7n1s46m.png
    Thanks for Fort Triumph Dirk!

• Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular

Not quite 4X but does have between-combat stuff going on. The Homeworld series has persistent progression between missions, so you might steal special spaceships from one mission and then keep them going for more missions. The remastered collection is on sale right now on Fanatical for 91% off.

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

Lots of new options for the brood to toy around with. And I much appreciate the links to the sales...You are the classiest of the classy.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »
    OUTRIDER demo out on STEAM and after the servers caught on fire. . .I am liking the gunplay. Movement feels a little floaty but that's not a big deal. Everything else is a chaotic mess of gibbing and elemental destruction. Prologue goes on a bit too long - mostly because you honestly just want to select your class and start tossing out powers.

. . .also game and the combat "arenas" look freaking great. Character faces are a bit meh though.

It’s essentially a video game ass video game. It’s like the average of all video games. Which is still pretty good, I find the gunplay serviceable but the powers very fun. Tho I’m worried about how repetitive it will get, it’s always hard to tell with these games how much the skill tree and enemy variety will stay fresh

Also the cover system is janky as hell but you basically only use it to wait for your powers to come back or in emergencies

Also I like this armour set you get at the end
    014e107b-d74f-489b-85ae-02f88a5cf575.PNG?sv=2015-12-11&sr=b&si=DefaultAccess&sig=dWQsNCw%2FbWp8hvHynaWSPSLHvIadmQz70hEzz3R5sag%3D

That UI. are you sure it isn't just destiny?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

Planetary Annihilation: Titans is also RTS but with massive scale, which might be interesting here.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Has he played Total Annihilation and supcom 1 & expansion?

Also not sure if i saw you mention it but has he actually played gal civ 2?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    @Orivon claims I was instigating but they gifted me Starcrawlers completely unprovoked! There is shenaniganery afoot I say! Thank you <3

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    an_alt wrote: »
    Though my TV this week has been dedicated to the Tournament of Hearts, which is the Canadian women's curling championship

So, wait, Canadians really are into curling? I thought that was just an olympic thing.

I mean, it's not like hockey or football, but curling does have a pretty decent following in Canada. TSN, the Canadian version of ESPN, has three games a day during the big four tournaments (Canadian women, men, world women, men) on the primary channel. My SO and I even made bingo cards for things that often happen during games.

I think curling would make a great video game. There's a strategy phase of where do you want a rock to wind up and how to get it there. A softly thrown draw might move 5-6 feet horizontally (the curling in the name of the game) to land in the middle of the house. A takeout whipped down the sheet might move a few inches. Then the throw meter for both aiming at the broom and the speed of the rock. Once the rock is in play, sweeping a stone will both add to the distance and delay the horizontal movement. Even deciding which brusher is sweeping can steer a rock in either direction. It would pretty much be golf, but with a strategy layer before the shot and then being able to steer the ball while in flight. Then I suppose one would have to add loot boxes to pay $2.99 for a chance to unlock Jennifer Jones...

Nagano Winter Olympics for the N64 was literally the way I found out Curling was a thing. I think it still remains my biggest exposure to it because I don't think I've ever seen a real life match with maybe some moments from some winter Olympics in a recap.

My now-former father-in-law was, honest to God, one of the judges for curling when the Winter Olympics was in Salt Lake City in 2002. Claim to fame!

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Though my TV this week has been dedicated to the Tournament of Hearts, which is the Canadian women's curling championship

So, wait, Canadians really are into curling? I thought that was just an olympic thing.

I mean, it's not like hockey or football, but curling does have a pretty decent following in Canada. TSN, the Canadian version of ESPN, has three games a day during the big four tournaments (Canadian women, men, world women, men) on the primary channel. My SO and I even made bingo cards for things that often happen during games.

I think curling would make a great video game. There's a strategy phase of where do you want a rock to wind up and how to get it there. A softly thrown draw might move 5-6 feet horizontally (the curling in the name of the game) to land in the middle of the house. A takeout whipped down the sheet might move a few inches. Then the throw meter for both aiming at the broom and the speed of the rock. Once the rock is in play, sweeping a stone will both add to the distance and delay the horizontal movement. Even deciding which brusher is sweeping can steer a rock in either direction. It would pretty much be golf, but with a strategy layer before the shot and then being able to steer the ball while in flight. Then I suppose one would have to add loot boxes to pay $2.99 for a chance to unlock Jennifer Jones...

Nagano Winter Olympics for the N64 was literally the way I found out Curling was a thing. I think it still remains my biggest exposure to it because I don't think I've ever seen a real life match with maybe some moments from some winter Olympics in a recap.

My now-former father-in-law was, honest to God, one of the judges for curling when the Winter Olympics was in Salt Lake City in 2002. Claim to fame!

He was very close to the action, is what you're saying?

A stone's throw away.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    edited February 2021

A stone's throw away.

I'll let that one slide.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »

A stone's throw away.

I'll let that one slide.

Just gonna brush it off?

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    That UI. are you sure it isn't just destiny?
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Wait a minute . . . is that Destiny? :rotate:

Jinx. :razz:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    McMoogle wrote: »

A stone's throw away.

I'll let that one slide.

Just gonna brush it off?

Seems like an ice thing to do in this circumstance.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I was going to get in on the Winter Olympics puns, but on second thought I'm Nagano get involved.

This discussion has been closed.