As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Watching Frozen... Again.

You too huh? My sympathies.

It's basically once a week at this point. I really hope she's recording these memories of her Dad watching this fucking thing so many times.

Though I caught a joke I hadn't seen before. Olaf calmly walks into an ice spike and says "Oh, I'm impaled."

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    You will be singing Let it Go.

Just accept this as part of your life. Embrace your inner Idina Menzel.
    If you do it too well, she might allow you stop.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I still don't actually know how Frozen ends.

I've seen the first hour or so more times than I can remember (especially the first song, which was my nephew's favourite), but the number of times I've made it past meeting Olaf is maybe a dozen, I've only discovered the movie contained a heel turn late last year, and I've not once managed to watch it all the way to the end credits.

Movie watching with kids!

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    We finally made it through Lion King all the way last weekend.

But Ellie has been watching Lion Guard on YouTube/Disney plus for a while now, so the big moments never really hit her.

I still cry over Mufasa, though.

• Options
    Also Alan Tudyk as the Duke of Weaselton is great.

With the grace of an agile peacock!

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Frozen 2 is a worse movie but does have some decent songs if you want a change of pace. We particularly like Lost in the Woods as it's a straight parody of late 99s early 00s pop love ballads.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Olaf is, hands-down, my most despised Disney sidekick character. I don't think he's cute, or funny, or the least bit endearing. Every second he is the focus on screen is sheer agony. Olaf getting rezzed at the end of Frozen 2 is a dark and awful turn for the audience on the same level as Luke losing his hand and Han getting frozen in carbonite at the end of Empire IMO

• Options
    Olaf is totally the adult comic relief.

Frozen 2 is not as good a movie, and doesn't have as strong a soundtrack. But it definitely hit my feels in a way that I hadn't had in a while.

• Options
    Frozen 2 is wildly advanced for a kids movie.

It's "Why colonialism is wrong".

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I guess I'm an odd one, but I actually enjoy all those films to some degree and have seen them all the way through.

Then again, my kiddo doesn't ask to watch those movies over and over. My odd little duck wants to watch videos of his (previous) teacher teaching letters all day long, and I'm very skilled at ignoring shows and sounds when I don't want them. All except him. I can't block the little dude out, which, to be honest, is probably for the best considering I'm the "stay-at-home-dad" (not that most of us aren't staying at home in some capacity in at least the US).
    I also like to sing/hum "Let It Go", but we've already established by this point that I'm fully insane. :lol:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    See, I don't hear Olaf, I just hear Josh Gad. And Josh Gad is funny.

(Plus I have all of Olaf's songs memorized and regale my kids with them all the time. Much to their consternation.)

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Ellie's repeat for a while was the Ancestors from Moana.

And it's just close enough to Te Reo Maori that we can get through it.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Olaf is totally the adult comic relief.

Frozen 2 is not as good a movie, and doesn't have as strong a soundtrack. But it definitely hit my feels in a way that I hadn't had in a while.

Overall the soundtrack isn't as good, but Show Yourself is still the best song in either movie.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Olaf is, hands-down, my most despised Disney sidekick character. I don't think he's cute, or funny, or the least bit endearing. Every second he is the focus on screen is sheer agony. Olaf getting rezzed at the end of Frozen 2 is a dark and awful turn for the audience on the same level as Luke losing his hand and Han getting frozen in carbonite at the end of Empire IMO

I still want to know if that endorsement of homeopathy was supposed to be a joke or what.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    non-Disney sidebar, we’re taking our little person to daycare tomorrow, for the first time, at five months. Partly because the spouse is starting a new job tomorrow, too.

We aren’t doing so well with it. I mean, it’s the right call, he’ll finally meet other people, and see new things, and learn new stuff. And also, we need to work. But he’s my little boo, and I will miss him for the two short hours he’s there tomorrow, and probably blub dramatically on the walk home.

And really, it’s good he’s going now, because he doesn’t get separation anxiety yet, but we do, and it’s really hard, just now.

• Options
    after dropping Ellie off today at primary school, after a full week of home schooling, and leaving her in the classroom in full tears and sobbing without being able to give her a final hug goodbye....

The separation anxiety doesn't get much easier.

It gets different, but not always easier

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    My wife and I sang "Love is an open door" as a duet during our marriage in lieu of a first dance.

As an aside, I've been watching Arrested Development during my workouts and they had a scene where two characters said, "We finish each others..." and "Sandwiches." Clearly some AD fans in the Frozen writer's room.

https://youtu.be/YypPLpuPJZU

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    See, I don't hear Olaf, I just hear Josh Gad. And Josh Gad is funny.

(Plus I have all of Olaf's songs memorized and regale my kids with them all the time. Much to their consternation.)

You are my complete opposite. I find Josh Gad just tiring in every single thing I've seen him in. He's the antithesis of humor. He's the anti-funny.

• Options
    Funny or not, Gad seems like a genuinely nice person though, which we could use more of in the world.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    The first time I dropped of our first kid at daycare just after he turned one was hard, the idea was that we’d do gradual entry, so the first day was just for two hours or so. I went to a coffee shop nearby until it was over but he did well and went to full days the next day.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    I got really lucky with my kids and outside care options. My daughter is always so excited that she often will forget to say goodbye. My son took about a week and then he was also off to the races. No leg clinging or screaming made that transition painless.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    My son is basically at the windows for large chunks of the day checking if a bus might maybe just be coming to pick him up and take him to school. Little dude loves going to school, without even the slightest bit of worry or saying goodbye. Now he's not getting on a bus at the moment, of course, but that doesn't stop his hope from springing eternal. :wink:

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Games workshop now sell baby clothes....

nydadmao7gt3.jpg

https://merch.warhammer.com/collections/baby-clothing

• Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I got really lucky with my kids and outside care options. My daughter is always so excited that she often will forget to say goodbye. My son took about a week and then he was also off to the races. No leg clinging or screaming made that transition painless.

My daughter leaps from my arms to go to daycare, runs off, and when the teacher asks if she wants to say goodbye to daddy she doesn't even act like she's listening.

So both...good and bad? It would be nice if she like, pretended to miss us.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Haha, Little Nurgling.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Today was a chicken strips for breakfast kind of day.

• Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »

My daughter leaps from my arms to go to daycare, runs off, and when the teacher asks if she wants to say goodbye to daddy she doesn't even act like she's listening.

So both...good and bad? It would be nice if she like, pretended to miss us.

Honestly, this is the ideal scenario. With my (oldest) son, his first daycare shutdown after a few years, and we had to scramble for child care, as like housing, daycare is a shit-show in Vancouver. We had one place we tried where I had several days worth of him screaming "Daddy don't go" when I had to leave. I am basically permanently traumatized from that. Like, I was basically non-functional at work those days. We quickly moved on from that place.

• Options
    What show is that. Ellie has a clip that she watches but I don't recognize it

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Looks like maybe Over the Moon? It's on US Netflix.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »

Looks like maybe Over the Moon? It's on US Netflix.

@lonelyahava Yeah, Over the Moon.

https://youtu.be/IbUfOhEv1sc

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Daughter has been hooked on Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir.

I can't even tell if it's the translation or they're using words like 'evilize' as intended.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @MichaelLC Cristina Vee does the voice of Ladybug (and tons of other stuff) and is on Cameo, so if Athena ever gets hooked on the show I'm definitely getting Ladybug to tell Athena to listen to her parents and keeping that ace in my back pocket

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    So is there any way to lock YouTube when my son is watching it on my phone so he can't exit it and make calls?

My son likes to scroll through YouTube and play various kids videos for a few seconds at a time. This is useful when I'm cooking dinner as it keeps him busy.

Recently however he's gotten better at navigating off YouTube and has called my wife several times and video called my aunt.

Basically is there a way to let him watch YouTube but stops him minimising it to make calls or text people?

• Options
    edited March 2021
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    MichaelLC Cristina Vee does the voice of Ladybug (and tons of other stuff) and is on Cameo, so if Athena ever gets hooked on the show I'm definitely getting Ladybug to tell Athena to listen to her parents and keeping that ace in my back pocket

Ha, i may have to do that!
    She was wearing her full miraculous costume by coincidence when we got it. Thank you this is unbelievable and I also did not realize you were that gorgeous. If you'd like to date I'm completely on board but my daughter may not be so we can figure that out later.

Goddamnnit people.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    So is there any way to lock YouTube when my son is watching it on my phone so he can't exit it and make calls?

My son likes to scroll through YouTube and play various kids videos for a few seconds at a time. This is useful when I'm cooking dinner as it keeps him busy.

Recently however he's gotten better at navigating off YouTube and has called my wife several times and video called my aunt.

Basically is there a way to let him watch YouTube but stops him minimising it to make calls or text people?

OK so basically smartphones and children are hell on earth and your best bet is to either find a dedicated device without a SIM for your kid to mess around with, or to find your phone's Kid Mode. In Kid mode they can only access apps you have added to it and they cannot reach the regular internet or the app store.

If you have a Samsung Galaxy device it usually has something pre-installed, ortherwise this guide should make sense https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Kid-Mode-on-an-Android if you have another device it becomes a bit more iffy as you have to download a 3rd party app and they all have their pros and cons. I see https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kiddoware.kidsplace is recommended, but one recent review complains that it also locks the volume controls, so that's super annoying.

Also, I hope you are aware of the utter corrupted evil that is autoplay on YouTube: it will recommend utter abject evil videos to your child and they will click on it. There's YouTube Kids that limits the app to just channels vetted by Google as "child-friendly" and adults can select what channels or individual videos are available for your child to watch. It takes a long time to set up properly and there's no way to manually add videos that you think are fine for your child when they don't have Google's "child-friendly" stamp of approval. So you can't add Jelle's Marble Runs to YouTube kids, despite his content being fit for all ages.

All advertisement practices that are outlawed on cable television are in full swing on YouTube and the Play Store. It is a problem Google can't seem to fix at all.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular

If it's an iphone, then you can use guided access which is for exactly this sort of thing.

• Options

If it's an iphone, then you can use guided access which is for exactly this sort of thing.

Creating a new user or guest in Android may work too.

Here's the support details:
    https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/2865944?hl=en

• Options

Yeah, I've set my phone to Netflix before and had it play kids shows while in guided access and you can lock down everything and it takes a triple tap of the home button and a numerical code you choose in order to unlock it.

• Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone, really appreciated :biggrin:

I'm on Android so I've tried the app @Aldo suggested and it seems to do everything I need. He's not had a chance to use it fully today but we'll see what happens tomorrow.

He's found his way to the Disney channel so watches 15 seconds of various Disney songs.

Currently seems obsessed with a video of Jak Jak from The Incredibles where he's fighting a racoon.