Options

President Biden's Cabinet

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    My bet is on Garland requiring a Harris vote, for obvious reasons (a lot of Republican congressmen are complicit with the coup, for starters).

He was already advanced by the committee by a vote of 15-7. ie 4 Republicans are already voting for him, including Grassley, Graham, Cornyn, and Tillis.

It's not going to be a close vote.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »

Tweeter is someone who saw a story on MSN.

She's going to need a lot more than just sage.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    My bet is on Garland requiring a Harris vote, for obvious reasons (a lot of Republican congressmen are complicit with the coup, for starters).

He was already advanced by the committee by a vote of 15-7. ie 4 Republicans are already voting for him, including Grassley, Graham, Cornyn, and Tillis.

It's not going to be a close vote.

Graham is a surprise, so guess that you are right.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Canada can help.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Canada can help.

I think she needs the Vatican for this one, and as much holy water as the priest can carry.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    There's good reason why McConnell had to prevent Garland's SC confirmation vote from even happening, and this was back when you needed 66 to confirm!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Canada can help.

I think she needs the Vatican for this one, and as much holy water as the priest can carry.

We’re gonna need an old Pope and a young Pope ...

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    There's good reason why McConnell had to prevent Garland's SC confirmation vote from even happening, and this was back when you needed 66 to confirm!

Yeah he's not a firebrand or some kind idealogue. He's what you traditionally want as an AG and that scares the GOP because they had 4 years of ignoring laws under the impression they'd keep having that

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Canada can help.

There are indeed two Popes right now.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Canada can help.

Suspiciously convenient, wouldn't you say?

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Canada can help.

There are two Popes inside you...

fjtnzpuhroz8.jpg

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Merrick Garland and Marcia Fudge both confirmed today, the US finally has a god damn AG

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Why hasn't he indicted everybody, yet?

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Merrick Garland and Marcia Fudge both confirmed today, the US finally has a god damn AG

70-30 on Garland.

Which basically proves what people said. If McConnell had brought it to a vote, he'd likely have passed. He's just too qualified and otherwise unobjectionable* for them not to.

* ie, straight, white, male. He also doesn't tweeter, but that's not the reasons others have been excluded, Neera Tanden was a white male, she'd likely have been confirmed.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    McConnell fucking voted to confirm Garland for the absolute max irony.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

70-30 on Garland.

Which basically proves what people said. If McConnell had brought it to a vote, he'd likely have passed. He's just too qualified and otherwise unobjectionable* for them not to.

* ie, straight, white, male. He also doesn't tweeter, but that's not the reasons others have been excluded, Neera Tanden was a white male, she'd likely have been confirmed.

confirming him as AG when Democrats are in control as opposed to blocking him from the Supreme Court when Republicans are in control are two pretty different scenarios, to be fair

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »

70-30 on Garland.

confirming him as AG when Democrats are in control as opposed to blocking him from the Supreme Court when Republicans are in control are two pretty different scenarios, to be fair

Probably hoping to curry favor in not going after his wife, which uhh good luck.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

70-30 on Garland.

And ones in which he has control over his own actions.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

70-30 on Garland.

Probably hoping to curry favor in not going after his wife, which uhh good luck.

Better play would have been to vote against him and then claim that any investigations or prosecution of his wife were payback for that. Obviously bullshit given the shenanigans she got up to, but it’d probably work to muddy the water with the idiot media.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

70-30 on Garland.

And ones in which he has control over his own actions.

i was referring more to the total vote than just McConnell's, but yeah

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Michael Reagan was confirmed as EPA head. Closer vote 66-34, but now someone who actually cares about the environment will be in charge.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Michael Reagan was confirmed as EPA head. Closer vote 66-34, but now someone who actually cares about the environment will be in charge.

Regan and Haaland are a wonderful one-two punch for starting to turn this boat around environmentally.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

Regan and Haaland are a wonderful one-two punch for starting to turn this boat around environmentally.

I saw a comic that I agreed with that it was biden flipping on a light switch to illuminate an end of a tunnel and I feel that...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Man, do I hope Garland goes hard on the anti-trust stuff to break the stranglehold that the pigs have because of economics.

Also hope he goes hard on putting white supremacist filth in jail, where it belongs. Hell, maybe he can prosecute enough of those fuckers, that they wont' be a big enough voting block for republicans anymore, while also breaking a shit ton of laws that are designed to fuck over minorities.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular

The tweet was removed? Something about exorcisms and sage?

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »

The tweet was removed? Something about exorcisms and sage?
    Susan Rice (former ambassador to the UN, former National Security Advisor, now Biden's Director of the Domestic Policy Council) is occupying Stephen Miller's old office and reportedly was burning sage in it to cleanse the space of negativity.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Vanita Gupta is now also being chided by Senate Republicans because she said mean things on Twitter

Annoyingly I cannot seem to find the tweets the precious baby GOP snowflakes are upset about

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Wow who could have guessed legitimizing dishonest mean tweet bullshit would have empowered the GOP.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Wow who could have guessed legitimizing dishonest mean tweet bullshit would have empowered the GOP.

If it weren't for double standards Republicans wouldn't have any standards at all.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

Indian Country is a news outlet covering stories about/for/related to Indigenous Americans.
    BREAKING: A majority of U.S. Senators have voted to confirm Deb Haaland as the nation’s Secretary of the Interior, making her the first Native American in history to lead a Cabinet agency.

Full coverage: https://bit.ly/3vvzQJE

Frustratingly (if unsurprisingly) thin margin on the vote but this is very cool, very good, and long overdue.

• Options
    She was the first cabinet person for Romney to vote against because Racism prevails.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    She was the first cabinet person for Romney to vote against because Racism prevails.

Ah but you see, she has "radical left" politics like... *checks notes* "Thinking we maybe need a livable planet"

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Both Alaskan Republicans voted yes. They were lobbied pretty hard by Native groups up there I think.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options

Ah but you see, she has "radical left" politics like... *checks notes* "Thinking we maybe need a livable planet"

Yeah amazingly a member of the group the US has been fucking over thinks we probably shouldn't ruin the land we stole.

I get that the GOP are disingenuous as fuck, but god damn they are letting their freak flag fly.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular

Indian Country is a news outlet covering stories about/for/related to Indigenous Americans.
    BREAKING: A majority of U.S. Senators have voted to confirm Deb Haaland as the nation’s Secretary of the Interior, making her the first Native American in history to lead a Cabinet agency.

Frustratingly (if unsurprisingly) thin margin on the vote but this is very cool, very good, and long overdue.

Isn't the department of the interior the one in charge of native American affairs?

• Options
    Both Alaskan Republicans voted yes. They were lobbied pretty hard by Native groups up there I think.

Oh, absolutely. Alaska and New Mexico are the only two states in the union where even the GOP has to pay attention to Natives.

(Well, and maybe Hawaii, depending on the year)

• Options

Isn't the department of the interior the one in charge of native American affairs?

The Bureau of Indian Affairs falls under the Department of the Interior, yeah.

Which is part of what makes it so absurd/gross that there's literally never been an Indigenous Secretary of the Interior

• Options

Oh, absolutely. Alaska and New Mexico are the only two states in the union where even the GOP has to pay attention to Natives.

Hawaii I thought is so democrat the gop is non existant? Its just different versions of democrats?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Yep, the BIA is under Interior. This is pretty massive for Native Americans.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

The GOP no longer functionally exists in Hawaii - this is why Gabbard was a Democrat.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum