As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rocksteady's [Suicide Squad] and WB Montreal's [Gotham Knights]

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Suicune Quads?

Does that mean Marvel has Raikou's Thunderbolts?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Gotta say the overwhelming amount of people who don’t believe Batman is dead is funny to me . It’s just such a comic book situation that the hero faked his own death or something. Either way can’t wait to unleash the power of gun on Gotham’s mooks.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I will be surprised if Batman is revealed to be alive, but under the control of the Court of Owls is not a plot point.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I mean, they went out of their way to say "this ain't connected to the Arkham franchise" and companies love franchises they can milk endlessly, so personally I'll be surprised if Batman isn't alive.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I mean, they went out of their way to say "this ain't connected to the Arkham franchise" and companies love franchises they can milk endlessly, so personally I'll be surprised if Batman isn't alive.

That was the more frustrating part. It looks like an Arkham game, its stylized like one, it's playing off the Arkham games without being one. Just retcon the ending of Arkham Knight to get rid of outing Batman's identity, and unkill Poison Ivy.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    A couple pages ago we were talking about why there's never a good Superman game, and I think people basically said it was because you'd have to de-power Superman in order to provide a challenge. But that's not true.

Superman is weak to magic. Maybe a new faction arises that finds a way to provide magic, even to its low level henchmen.

Or you could go the Smallville route and create a ton of metas with meteor rock powers. Or you could go the Metallo route and create an army of robots or even people who are powered by a kryptonite core. Or go the Supergirl route and crash land a space prison and free a bunch of strong alien threats. Or again, the Smallville route and find a way to unleash a bunch of Kandorian Kryptonians on the earth who serve Zod.

There's plenty of ways of making a credible threat to Superman without de-powering him.

In summary: Please make me a Superman game. Love, Lucas.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    A couple pages ago we were talking about why there's never a good Superman game, and I think people basically said it was because you'd have to de-power Superman in order to provide a challenge. But that's not true.

Superman is weak to magic. Maybe a new faction arises that finds a way to provide magic, even to its low level henchmen.

Or you could go the Smallville route and create a ton of metas with meteor rock powers. Or you could go the Metallo route and create an army of robots or even people who are powered by a kryptonite core. Or go the Supergirl route and crash land a space prison and free a bunch of strong alien threats. Or again, the Smallville route and find a way to unleash a bunch of Kandorian Kryptonians on the earth who serve Zod.

There's plenty of ways of making a credible threat to Superman without de-powering him.

Time to push mr .mxyzpklt or however you spell it,

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I think it would be REALLY GOOD if Batman either was dead or died as a consequence of the story for real. Then if they did a sequel, Dick took over as Batman, and Damien was introduced.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

It's not just vulnerability you have to deal with, though.
    Superman breaks stories. He's just so much more powerful than almost all the others, not just in terms of strength but in variety of powers, that the first thing writers have to do is explain why he isn't wrapping this up by throwing the offending party into the sun in panel 2. And even the professionals end up with situations where readers can immediately complain that wait, why didn't he just superspeed in faster than sound, grab the detonator out of the terrorists hand, melt all their guns with his heat vision, then fly all of the hostages out?

It's worse when you're controlling him, because the game should give you all the available tools. Even if he's been 'de-powered' so a regular enemy can beat him to death, if they don't give you super-reactions because it would break the game, you feel resentment that it's not there. I mean yeah, they could depower him to an extent (lose your heat vision, super-breath, super-speed, and flying because it would break the level layout!), but then you don't get the feeling of playing as Superman, just Generic Action Guy in a familiar costume.

There are similar problems for Flash or Martian Manhunter; if they act sensibly with all the abilities we know they have, they're nigh-impossible to beat. You can write them as making mistakes if it's a comic or movie, but if you handicap the player to keep them from doing that, they're not having fun because they know they could have beaten that if they hadn't had their arms tied.

Batman (and associates) works well for this because memetic badass aside, he has vulnerabilities. He can get shot or beaten if he's sloppy, but that lets them build him into a playable character where you can face a mass of enemies and complain that it's not a fair fight because there's only 40 of them.

This doesn't mean that it's impossible to make games for these characters, though. You'd just need to take a whole new approach to them, rather than 'Arkham City but with Superman/Flash!'. One of the smartest ideas I heard was that I think Superman Returns didn't have a health bar for him, it had one for the city (I don't think the actual game was that great, but it was a bright idea that felt right for Superman). An open-world where the civilians are still around, and you have to protect them from accidents and/or the fallout of super-fights because you're Superman. It's the whole reason you do this, punching alien overlords into orbit is just a result of that.

For Flash, I'd suggest something closer to Superhot, where time slows to an absolute crawl so he can weave between all the bullets. Basically a third person bullet-hell game.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Superman would really only work in a game if it was against another heavy hitter like say Darkseid invaded the earth and you were leading the justice league against his invasion ... now I really want that as a game .

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Superman is my favorite superhero but I don’t think Superman games work. At least not a game about Superman on an average day. Put Superman on Apocalypse against a super powered army or something, that could work.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Our Worlds At War would work really well as a Superman game since it involves fighting Brainiac and Darkseid and Imperiex (entropy villain) and it could have many branching fights too based on the story. You could even add John Henry and Superboy in as other playable characters and even a classy UwU Krypto level. Basically DMC5 but in various planets.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    The JLU show made him powerful while still vulnerable. Most movies do to, he takes damage, he's just insanely durable. You can steal any number of invasions from the cartoon that justify there being strong enemies all over the place with weapons that can hurt Superman.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    The JLU show made him powerful while still vulnerable. Most movies do to, he takes damage, he's just insanely durable. You can steal any number of invasions from the cartoon that justify there being strong enemies all over the place with weapons that can hurt Superman.

I feel like he got knocked unconscious all the time in the JLU cartoon, and that people wouldn't really like that. I didn't watch the Superman cartoon, though, maybe there's more stuff to crib from there.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    or, like

just don't make the game be about punching stuff?

make a game where your goal is to minimize destruction, or save the most people, or just be about the weight of who you save and who you can't. about the friends you lose doing the right thing, about the hearts and minds you win being the best Superman you can. or what the world looks like when it needs Superman, but you aren't.

that sounds way more interesting than yet another Punch Man Punches Thing That Are Hard for Punch Man to Punch.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    make a game where your goal is to minimize destruction, or save the most people,

Following a tightly scripted route doing super hero stuff wouldn't be a bad idea. Not a rigid game like Dragon's Lair but more like those Stuntman games on PS2. Remember those? You play as a stunt driver given tasks by radio by a movie director and you're graded on hitting your marks on time using the correct stunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H7hIO6PMBk

Do something like that for a Superman game. "Save the sinking cruise ship. Use heat vision to repair the hull. Pull up the anchor and move the ship to shore."

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    jdarksun wrote: »
    or, like

just don't make the game be about punching stuff?

make a game where your goal is to minimize destruction, or save the most people, or just be about the weight of who you save and who you can't. about the friends you lose doing the right thing, about the hearts and minds you win being the best Superman you can. or what the world looks like when it needs Superman, but you aren't.

that sounds way more interesting than yet another Punch Man Punches Thing That Are Hard for Punch Man to Punch.

Well, let's be real though.

Most people are gonna wanna game where you punch stuff and use your laser beam eyes.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Man Arkham city is so good . Still far and away my favorite comic book game.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Superman is my favorite superhero but I don’t think Superman games work. At least not a game about Superman on an average day. Put Superman on Apocalypse against a super powered army or something, that could work.

Superman is also my favorite superhero of all time. (see pictures in spoiler tag, this is just my Superman media shelf. This doesn't include my shelf of Superman related stuff I have displayed.)
    cj8sisM.jpg

I agree thought that in order to make Superman work, you need to make the villains and threat in the game up to his level. If you want Metropolis, make the story revolve around an invasion from Apokolips. That way you can add some of his earth based villains that can go toe to toe with Superman like Metallo, Bizarro, and Parasite. Then fill the rest of the game with villains like the Parademons, the Furies, Mongul, Kalibak, and Darkseid. Heck, you can even make it so the story revolves around Darkseid, Cyborg Superman, and Brainiac working together to invade Earth and finally take down Superman.

You can make the Fortress of Solitude his hub and even make a side quest of having to periodically fight characters like Lobo and Bloodsport who are working to cash in the bounty on Superman's head Darkseid. Make it so that Lex Luthor is working with Superman as an uneasy ally to fight off the invading army.

Seriously, I could write a fantastic Superman game. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I realize now that I spelled Apokolips wrong. I’m a terrible Superman fan.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    I realize now that I spelled Apokolips wrong. I’m a terrible Superman fan.

Superman vs. Apocalypse would be a really quick fight. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Gotham Knights has been delayed to 2022

• Options
    I figured that was going to happen and just hoped it wouldn't. Oh well, take all the time to make the game better. It just means less to spend on this year.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular

Noooooooooooooo! That was my most anticipated game of this year!

On the other hand, I am always pro-delay because it means better, cleaner games. No more Cyberpunks. Ever.

• Options
    I didn’t even know it was supposed to come out this year.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Noooooooooooooo! That was my most anticipated game of this year!

On the other hand, I am always pro-delay because it means better, cleaner games. No more Cyberpunks. Ever.

This was one of my toppers, but I totally understand.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

Me: "Wait Gotham Knights was supposed to come out this year?"

For some reason it was always coming out in 2022 in my head so that isn't a big deal.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Gotham Knights is the one I'm interested in. Hoping that still on track for this year.

I know within the past week they said it was.

But I hope!

Would make for a great summer blockbuster style game.

• Options
    Maybe they are delaying it to remove all the GaaS garbage...oh, who am I kidding, of course they aren't. :?

Fortunately Gotham Knights is the one I'm actually looking forward to, and hopefully that'll still come out this year.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Gotham Knights release announced for October 25.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Gotham Knights release announced for October 25.

Q4 sucks. I’m happy it’s this year but take all the time they need to make it good without crunch.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Dang. Still glad its dated.

Really need something to release in may/June right now.

Rest of the year on either side is already pretty set.

Was really hoping this would end up slated as a summer blockbuster style thing. Oh well.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Super excited to finally have a date. That should be enough time for me to finish Xenoblade Chronicles 3. This is going to be a great year for games I'm looking forward to. :smiley:

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Was really hoping this would end up slated as a summer blockbuster style thing. Oh well.

Saints Row is in August

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Saints Row is in August

Yea before that is the open period. I'm full up into May. And then from late August through the rest of the year.

Its that little gap between. Originally forspoken was there. But dang. Still time for something else to pop up though.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Very curious how fun this will be solo.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options

It looks more like a solo game with a duo option than a duo game with a solo option.

• Options

This one seems to be built primarily as a solo game with the option to co-op through it if you want.

It's Suicide Squad that looks like it'll be a bore playing by yourself. But that is just how GaaS work I guess. At least it doesn't look quite as dull as Avengers was, but I'm long past trusting GaaS as a whole.

But I plan on playing through Gotham Knights solo, so hopefully the campaign is a good one.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!