As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars Squadrons] Free on Game Pass!

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Awesoming the post for the information. It looks like Amazon won’t ship overseas, and rather than work around that I’m headed out to find one locally.

Hopefully if I can find one I’ll be flying this weekend.

I don't know if headsets, from anyone, are in high availability right now, but you can also try ordering directly from Oculus.

I was able to pick one up at Bic Camera. Availability is weird in Japan; I never know what is going to be impossible to find or abundant. For example, while the VR headset was at the first place I looked, I spent 2 hours looking for the ingredients for Tiramisu for the lady-friend who's coming over tomorrow night and still didn't find everything. So I tracked down an international store that's supposed to have savoiarde cookies that's only a 45 minute train ride away. I'mma continue this thread only because I think it's going to be funny: so we've got a little mid-week date night planned to put up a tiny, tiny tree in my apartment. What she doesn't know is that all of my ornaments are Star Wars themed, and that's going to be confusing because she's never seen Star Wars. Is Star Wars a Christmas movie? I think there could be an argument there... Actually the more I think about it the more I really want to have just an X-Wing v TIE Fighter themed tree with darker branches and the lights acting as stars.

Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back sorta can be a Christmas themed movie. It has snow and... snow... and winter themed Snowtroopers.

Hallmark already thought of people like you. It is a wreath instead of a tree though. Yes, I have all of the ornaments (except for the Death Star) and the wreath. I just need to put it all together one of these years.
    Spoiler-ed since it is huge.
    Star-Galaxy-Black-Artificial-Wreath-With-Lights_3999QFM6139_02.jpg?sw=1920

Forced to pick up and relocate close to the holidays, an old scoundrel embarks on a road trip across the galaxy to drop in on an old friend who appears to be doing very well for himself. Along the way, humorously butting heads with his aloof traveling companion, as they gradually develop feelings for one another. But their Life Day dinner goes awry when his newfound love interest’s domineering father turns up and gives him the cold shoulder.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Any recommended streamers or YouTube channels to watch play this game?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Finally got my computer rebuilt, the Oculus installed, and flight controls all mapped... and I can’t connect to the EA servers to play online. I was afraid of this (and this was also why I waited so long to set up the game at my house). The DSL connection I have at this old apartment complex gives me about a max of 4.5 MB/s, and that certainly makes downloading things painful but it also might prevent me from being able to play this online at all. I’m going to do a little more troubleshooting and see if Elite Dangerous has similar issues playing online.

On a different note, I decided to finally try flying with the rudder pedals. WSOs typically keep their feet off the pedals, so learning to fly with them has led to a little pilot appreciation on my part. For some reason my yaw sense is also inverted; e.g. I keep wanting to turn the screen instead of my nose. We’re on holiday manning luckily so I’ve got literally all day to tomorrow to play.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Awesoming the post for the information. It looks like Amazon won’t ship overseas, and rather than work around that I’m headed out to find one locally.

Hopefully if I can find one I’ll be flying this weekend.

I don't know if headsets, from anyone, are in high availability right now, but you can also try ordering directly from Oculus.

I was able to pick one up at Bic Camera. Availability is weird in Japan; I never know what is going to be impossible to find or abundant. For example, while the VR headset was at the first place I looked, I spent 2 hours looking for the ingredients for Tiramisu for the lady-friend who's coming over tomorrow night and still didn't find everything. So I tracked down an international store that's supposed to have savoiarde cookies that's only a 45 minute train ride away. I'mma continue this thread only because I think it's going to be funny: so we've got a little mid-week date night planned to put up a tiny, tiny tree in my apartment. What she doesn't know is that all of my ornaments are Star Wars themed, and that's going to be confusing because she's never seen Star Wars. Is Star Wars a Christmas movie? I think there could be an argument there... Actually the more I think about it the more I really want to have just an X-Wing v TIE Fighter themed tree with darker branches and the lights acting as stars.

Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back sorta can be a Christmas themed movie. It has snow and... snow... and winter themed Snowtroopers.

Hallmark already thought of people like you. It is a wreath instead of a tree though. Yes, I have all of the ornaments (except for the Death Star) and the wreath. I just need to put it all together one of these years.
    Spoiler-ed since it is huge.
    Star-Galaxy-Black-Artificial-Wreath-With-Lights_3999QFM6139_02.jpg?sw=1920

Forced to pick up and relocate close to the holidays, an old scoundrel embarks on a road trip across the galaxy to drop in on an old friend who appears to be doing very well for himself. Along the way, humorously butting heads with his aloof traveling companion, as they gradually develop feelings for one another. But their Life Day dinner goes awry when his newfound love interest’s domineering father turns up and gives him the cold shoulder.

Captain Kerrill thought she had everything— a successful career, a posh pad on Coruscant. Yet, somehow, she felt empty inside. No matter how much she threw herself into her work, however much she achieved, she never really felt happy.

Then one Life Day, a new pilot transferred to her command...

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Yeah I can tell when I’m going against a KBAM player.

With a HOTAS it’s still impossible to match their aiming precision, but I won’t give up my immersive setup.

I realize this is a bit of an old post... But I just started playing over the weekend. The highest is great fun but I did find trying to track enemies with precise movements the controls feel really sloppy. My movements are either too big or don't do anything. Is there no open fixing this? In my mind I wonder about a HOTAS+M setup where I keep my mouse handy for precision, but I much rather just have my joystick be able to handle it.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Yeah I can tell when I’m going against a KBAM player.

With a HOTAS it’s still impossible to match their aiming precision, but I won’t give up my immersive setup.

I realize this is a bit of an old post... But I just started playing over the weekend. The highest is great fun but I did find trying to track enemies with precise movements the controls feel really sloppy. My movements are either too big or don't do anything. Is there no open fixing this? In my mind I wonder about a HOTAS+M setup where I keep my mouse handy for precision, but I much rather just have my joystick be able to handle it.

Can’t speak to HOTAS or KBAM, but playing on PS4 with a DS4, I’m always fighting the momentum of the pitch & yaw movements when trying to line up shots. I think it’s one reason my success rate in engagements is higher with my TIE Bomber build than other types. It turns like a stretched limo version of a TIE Fighter, which I suppose is exactly what it is. But it’s a fast missile boat and a stable gun platform.

I’ve started alternating between the Bomber and the Defender, though, so I don’t get out of practice applying opposite stick to kill a turn when my sights are lined up. With mostly good results so far, using a high sensitivity setting. What I’d really like to see is an option for a U-shaped response curve to the analog inputs, perhaps even right in the accessibility settings on modern consoles.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Yeah the game is definitely floaty on the hotas, I’ve tried messing with it but to no avail. I still have a lot of fun, but yeah I still constantly overshoot targets. I gave it a small dead zone, like 0.05 or 0.1, I can’t recall and it definitely helped.

Still I can’t get it to the same precision as DCS.

But when you get someone with an 8kd at lvl 110+ it’s a bit insane. It seems easy to master the “moving forward and rotating” maneuver on a mouse. Even if I try to exit out of the joust, they track me the entire way.

On a map like Yavin it’s depressing.

I like to fly an Awing and the only defenses to that maneuver seems to be hit and run, which you either need a highly coordinated team as they’ll just repair between runs, or you out tank them.

Using the super tracking lasers on the bomber helped a lot to train it. It was hard jumping straight in with the standard stuff.

Dixon on
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    So the ships won't turn any faster with a kbam, and from what I have seen watching gameplay videos there is always some delay/fudge/etc to the movement. And a pretty generous "lock" zone where the lasers will hit and track a bit.
    BTW, don't use kill cams as evidence. There is a very significant difference between what was happening with the enemy player and what it shows on the kill cam. The cam roughly takes both player positions, and does a dramatic reenactment.

• Options
    I finally got everything set up with VR and HOTAS etc... and my computer and internet just can’t hack online play. I’m going to buy a new graphics card, and I called my ISP to see about any options for a faster/more reliable connection, but I don’t have much hope until I move at the end of this assignment. I’ll play some Solo Elite Dangerous in the meantime. I’m trying to convince my friend to let me come over for a LAN party.

What’s the point of becoming an adult and having your own place if you can’t bring your friends over to play computer games like it was 1998?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    I picked this is up since the sale on epic + 10 dollar coupon for adding a free game put this at steep discount that is firmly in impulse buy range. Having a ton of fun with just dog fighting, not sure if I will go whole hog and get a stick but it has me considering at the very least finally picking up an elite controller, since that would have use outside of squadrons.

Played a bunch with both mouse and keyboard and controller, manipulating all the systems is leagues easier with mkb but overall i seem to do better on controller. But both are enjoyable experiences, once I got comfortable with the a wing I was zipping between little gaps in the broken up ships which caused me to guffaw in delight.

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Aretè wrote: »
    I picked this is up since the sale on epic + 10 dollar coupon for adding a free game put this at steep discount that is firmly in impulse buy range. Having a ton of fun with just dog fighting, not sure if I will go whole hog and get a stick but it has me considering at the very least finally picking up an elite controller, since that would have use outside of squadrons.

Played a bunch with both mouse and keyboard and controller, manipulating all the systems is leagues easier with mkb but overall i seem to do better on controller. But both are enjoyable experiences, once I got comfortable with the a wing I was zipping between little gaps in the broken up ships which caused me to guffaw in delight.

I thought it couldn't get any more fun than I was having with a controller until I dug out my mildly broken joystick from the 90s. Once I got it mostly working and went into the training map, my enjoyment of the game instantly doubled.

Plus, now when the throttle fails to go all the way up, or the next game fails to go all the way down, or the yaw will randomly start slightly drifting in different directions during the course of a match, it just feels even more immersive, like I am really there in my janky old X-Wing.

monkeykins on
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Need to look into Voice Attack with this so I can yell commands to my astromech

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Just beat the storyline.

Mostly wishing this had more of a single-player mode like X-Wing and TIE-Fighter did. It feels VERY MUCH like X-Wing VS TIE Fighter, But Shinier, but I also feel like I'd be less pants at multiplayer if there were more single-player missions for me to mess around with so I can learn to suck less and learn the ins and outs of all the loadouts. Not sure how much I'll keep up with it... I really only got it because my friends wanted to play with me.

On that note! Holy jeez is friending people across platforms annoying! And the friend list is really badly organized! Anybody know how to make that aspect less pants? My brother plays on PS4, I'm on PC, my college friend is on Switch, it's a mess.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Tried the Defender for the first time last night. I like how they kept the feeling of powerful but balanced. Its a great all-around ship but only if you are great at power management. Since I'm already constantly messing with my power settings, I felt comfortable in the Defender and got a lot out of it early on. It's a fun ship.

Next up will be a night in the B-Wing.

• Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    ObiFett wrote: »

My eyes went to this sentence first when I clicked the tab after reading some VR stuff, and the first thing I thought of was wearing the headset to bed while running a no-enemy practice match in a B-Wing. That would be silly!
    my new reverb g2 does seem like it would be comfier for side-sleeping than my old set...

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    edited January 2021

My eyes went to this sentence first when I clicked the tab after reading some VR stuff, and the first thing I thought of was wearing the headset to bed while running a no-enemy practice match in a B-Wing. That would be silly!
    my new reverb g2 does seem like it would be comfier for side-sleeping than my old set...

That could quickly turn into a night with the B-Wing

ObiFett on
  • Options
    I’m happy to say with a new laptop and modem I’m finally able to play Squadrons without crippling frame rate drops or disconnect issues. I’ve been playing mostly dogfights and I think I have my favorite load out of X-Wing/burst lasers/repair kit/concussion missiles/seeker countermeasures/dampener hull/fortified shields/standard engine. I haven’t done any tanked matches yet; I tend to die a little too quickly when attacking capital ships so I want to learn some better techniques for attacking them prior to playing.

One thing I’ve noticed with visibility is that the long nose of the X-Wing is a detriment to attacking, especially when I lead a target. I can appreciate the TIE a little more when offensive because of that.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    I am also most comfortable in an X-Wing. It's pretty much the only ship I fly when Resistance.

If you have the components, I'd recommend
    - SLAM Engine (generates boost as long as engines have any power)
    - Deflector Hull (+ Shields, - Hull)
    - Ray Shields (less damage from Lasers, more from missiles)
    - Astromech Repair
    - Countermeasure of choice
    - Missile of choice
    - Standard Lasers

Extra shields that are more resistant to lasers means I am incredibly strong in dogfights and have more time to react/run when j get jumped. It goes without saying to overcharge your shields when coming out of spawn. Then set power to one pip in engines and one pip in lasers. Use SLAM to disengage or run when shields get low and re-overcharge when safe. SLAM boost is also helpful to chase and finish off enemies.

You've gotta be pretty on top of angling and managing shields, to get the most out of it since that's where all your health is. But it's easily the most survivable combined with kill-y of all Resistance ship loadouts I've played. I generally go 20+ and 3 against AI. And I've had games with no deaths against other players.

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hG93q9iqjM&feature=youtu.be

Also, a podcast I listen to that talks about what's going on in the game:

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    Does it bother anyone else that they're called "left" and "right" shield generators, instead of port and starboard?

BECAUSE IT BOTHERS ME AN UNREASONABLE AMOUNT

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    awsimo wrote: »
    Does it bother anyone else that they're called "left" and "right" shield generators, instead of port and starboard?

BECAUSE IT BOTHERS ME AN UNREASONABLE AMOUNT

These are spacecraft, not boats.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Port and starboard have specific sailing connotations that probably are not correct for space.

• Options
    awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Yeah but the navy parallels are present everywhere else, right? It's the Imperial Navy, officer titles are pulled straight from naval ranks (particularly the UK Navy iirc), ship classes follow naval conventions (cruiser/corvette/etc), ships sections use navy terms like bridge, hull, deck, fore & aft. Why not go all the way?

(I mean...I know why, it's because not everyone is an incorrigible nerd like me. BUT MY POINT STILL STANDS)

Also....ships. Not boats, ships. :P

awsimo on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Yeah but the navy parallels are present everywhere else, right? It's the Imperial Navy, officer titles are pulled straight from naval ranks (particularly the UK Navy iirc), ship classes follow naval conventions (cruiser/corvette/etc), ships sections use navy terms like bridge, hull, deck fore & aft. Why not go all the way?

(I mean...I know why, it's because not everyone is an incorrigible nerd like me. BUT MY POINT STILL STANDS)

Then why is it called a gunboat/missile boat?

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    wessels, crap wrong thread

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Yeah but the navy parallels are present everywhere else, right? It's the Imperial Navy, officer titles are pulled straight from naval ranks (particularly the UK Navy iirc), ship classes follow naval conventions (cruiser/corvette/etc), ships sections use navy terms like bridge, hull, deck fore & aft. Why not go all the way?

Then why is it called a gunboat/missile boat?

Capital ships.

As my WW2 Navy vet grandpa used to say, "boats go on ships."

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    And since fighters dock with capital ships, they should be called boats, no?

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Air Force uses left, right, forward, and aft to describe sections of an aircraft. Always from the pilot’s perspective so there’s no confusion. Not sure about Navy fighters but they treat their fucking buildings like ships so it’s a good guess their fighters are too. Last I checked Star Wars just loosely uses the Navy theme so I wouldn’t lose any sleep over the inconsistency.

yossarian_lives on
    "I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Nerds

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Air Force uses left, right, forward, and aft to describe sections of an aircraft. Always from the pilot’s perspective so there’s no confusion. Not sure about Navy fighters but they treat their fucking buildings like ships so it’s a good guess their fighters are too. Last I checked Star Wars just loosely uses the Navy theme so I wouldn’t lose any sleep over the inconsistency.

Right left forward aft and they're spaceboats.

• Options
    Has anyone found a decent B-wing loadout? I just can't get that boat to work. To me, it feels like a Y-wing that does everything slower and worse. But I'm trying to figure out if it's not a good fighter, or if I'm just using it incorrectly.

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    I do really like what happens when I am able to get lined up on a cruiser, knock its shields and maybe some turrets down on the way in, and drop ten proton bombs across the deck as I pass, but there's a very high likelihood that I instead get lined up and then get swatted out of space by a TIE/In that shunts power to guns for a moment. I love that ship but it almost feels like it belongs in a bigger fleet action? 2-3 B-Wings with a protective cocoon of 5-6 X-Wings would be absolutely devastating to a cruiser or even an ISD, even with way more TIEs on the field, but in a 5v5 there's not enough other stuff happening to hide the alpha strike behind/inside. Maybe. Maybe I too am just real bad at flying my favorite fighter!

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    Finally did something I thought was impossible: had zero deaths in a Fleet Battle against normal AI. 20 kills, zero deaths, even took out the shield generators on the ISD.

For those that don't play v AI in Fleet Battles, the AI cheats like hell. They do impossible turns and tracking and generally stuff players can't do. I've learned that once I get ~4 kills without dying, the AI aggressively hunts me down. Like chasing me all the way to my frigates and sometimes even back to my capital ship, of course never dying while they do. They will swarm just me once I get over 7 kills with no deaths, focus firing me as a squad as soon as I'm in range. I always try to not die but have never finished a full game with no deaths, until recently. Felt real good.

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    I do really like what happens when I am able to get lined up on a cruiser, knock its shields and maybe some turrets down on the way in, and drop ten proton bombs across the deck as I pass, but there's a very high likelihood that I instead get lined up and then get swatted out of space by a TIE/In that shunts power to guns for a moment. I love that ship but it almost feels like it belongs in a bigger fleet action? 2-3 B-Wings with a protective cocoon of 5-6 X-Wings would be absolutely devastating to a cruiser or even an ISD, even with way more TIEs on the field, but in a 5v5 there's not enough other stuff happening to hide the alpha strike behind/inside. Maybe. Maybe I too am just real bad at flying my favorite fighter!

No. B Wing just has no survivability. It's not you. You never see any B Wings in any remotely competitive match because they're the slowest ship in the game and they get beamed way too easy.

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    This is now free on Game Pass. No reason not to play. Its really put a solid influx of players in the game.

Combine that with the matchmaking updates they made a few weeks back and there are very few (if any) stomps in this game now. Every match I play is really balanced and fun.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    This is now free on Game Pass. No reason not to play. Its really put a solid influx of players in the game.

Combine that with the matchmaking updates they made a few weeks back and there are very few (if any) stomps in this game now. Every match I play is really balanced and fun.

I wish I had your experience. Just had me (level 64) and 1,2,3s vs a team of 300s and 200s.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      edited March 2021
      TimFiji wrote: »

I wish I had your experience. Just had me (level 64) and 1,2,3s vs a team of 300s and 200s.

:bigfrown:

I haven't seen anyone above 150 this week (I'm ~40). Was it dogfight or Fleet Battle?

ObiFett on
    • Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »

:bigfrown:

I haven't seen anyone above 150 this week (I'm ~40). Was it dogfight or Fleet Battle?

Dogfight which from what I've read isn't as balanced as FB

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        Ok, yeah, that explains it. I exclusively play FB. Bummer about dogfights, tho

• Options
        McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
        Good to know before I jump back in, I played a decent bit of it on PS4 but then once the PS5 came in I had to wait for the VR adapter because playing it flatscreen just didn't seem the same.

Might head in for a few battles this weekend.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
        PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185