Options

Knockout [Chat]

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I’ve been looking at apartments and found one I really like but it doesn’t have fios and is that a dealbreaker?

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    apparently the only thing that has happened in physics in the 25 years since i was in physics school is the higgs boson being established as probably existing but not directly observed?

really glad i bailed out on my physics career after my undergrad!

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2021
    I was talking to the roommate with whom I share a bathroom and I was telling him how I want to get a bidet. And then he asked, what’s a bidet?

Hmm can I convert someone to the Golden Horde

Organichu on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

cursed take of the day: in the future, use of blockchain in media will protect people from being canceled

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Physics is just astrology with better marketing.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Six wrote: »
    I’ve been looking at apartments and found one I really like but it doesn’t have fios and is that a dealbreaker?

we've had comcast cable internet for the past 15 years and it has been adequate, though not great, a little expensive and morally irritating because of the lock-in.

if you like everything else about the place you will probably be fine

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    haven't watched it yet but PBS SpaceTime has a new one

https://youtu.be/O4Ko7NW2yQo

How do we know that the Muon is interacting with an unknown particle, and not that the Muon decay products include an unknown particle we aren't expecting/looking for/capable of measuring?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    apparently the only thing that has happened in physics in the 25 years since i was in physics school is the higgs boson being established as probably existing but not directly observed?

High Energy Physics (aka "fundamental physics") has been in a rut like that yes. Condensed Matter Physics (aka roughly anything bigger than a proton) has had enormous progress in lots of fields.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

but STEM! STEM is the answer to all our education problems! STEEEMMMMMMMMMMMM

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options

we've had comcast cable internet for the past 15 years and it has been adequate, though not great, a little expensive and morally irritating because of the lock-in.

Yeah, I've used Comcast for about 12 years now across California and Seattle, and I deal with them at work, and they're fine

definitely the least-bad ISP I've ever dealt with

(I have no direct experience with FIOS though)

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

How do we know that the Muon is interacting with an unknown particle, and not that the Muon decay products include an unknown particle we aren't expecting/looking for/capable of measuring?

we don't but i guess the idea is none of the particles we do know would explain it

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

i always cut off the stems and throw them away

no one enjoys eating broccoli stems

and if you do, you're a sicko

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Mostly the Marvel movies hint at some attraction between its impossibly good looking cast and then back off before the movie gets any further into it. A kiss, perhaps, but then in the next movie they’re broken up because of something we didn’t see.
    Whasshername from SHIELD that Steve Rogers kisses at the end of Civil War, then she gets Snapped, then returns at the end of Endgame only to find Steve has gone back in time to date her great-Aunt.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    re: why the experiment is important

We know the standard model is wrong, but it's mostly right so it's hard to find the holes where it breaks down and we could get new data to refine the theory further. Like we know it doesn't work with high gravity around black holes, but we can't exactly study black holes in the lab and get precise measurements.

So here's a thing where might actually be getting new, reproducible data that doesn't conform to the standard model.

The news stories all "CONFIRMS EXISTENCE OF NEW SECRET PARTICLES" are jumping a step ahead... reality is more "I might be able to explain this discrepancy with new particle types? Let's gather more data and confirm what these values are first then we can work on new theories that explain the value."

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options

we don't but i guess the idea is none of the particles we do know would explain it

Right, it just seems like a case of "the data we are getting out isn't matching the model of whats going in, so clearly the model going in is wrong", when its not clear to me why you couldn't also have a situation where the data coming out is wrong.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    What if it turns out the universe messes with physics whenever humans think they are starting to understand things?

• Options

Yeah I know it’ll be fine probably. It’s Optimum cable which I’ve had before isn’t as aggressively awful as other cable internet I’ve had in the past.

It’s so much bigger than my current place and I’m excited to have a really separate office and a heck of a lot cheaper. It’s the first place I’ve seen that felt right. I think I’ll do it.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular

High Energy Physics (aka "fundamental physics") has been in a rut like that yes. Condensed Matter Physics (aka roughly anything bigger than a proton) has had enormous progress in lots of fields.
    Hey now, I think we've all accepted that String Theory is a big ole joke, haven't we?

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options

we don't. There is no good theoretical explanation yet. Just the fact of the experimental difference still being there (even if not 5 sigma) is a big deal though.

And there is already a flood of "ambulance chaser" papers trying to explain it in theory.

But what is great about this is that it is experimental data leading the way. That has not happened for any of the work involving string theory, supersymmetry, ads/cft, multiverse etc... All of that was actively disagreeing with observations as theorists try to make the theories work.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

astrophysics is a full time party time

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Mostly the Marvel movies hint at some attraction between its impossibly good looking cast and then back off before the movie gets any further into it. A kiss, perhaps, but then in the next movie they’re broken up because of something we didn’t see.
    Whasshername from SHIELD that Steve Rogers kisses at the end of Civil War, then she gets Snapped, then returns at the end of Endgame only to find Steve has gone back in time to date her great-Aunt.

they should have gone the star wars route and made sharon be the daughter of post-endgame steve and sharon

that way they could have snuck in an incest kiss

• Options
    though there is the whole crisis in cosmology thing i guess

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Fios is pretty great, but 95% of the time Comcast is good. It’s just calling with an issue that is a bag of shit.

zepherin on
  • Options
    Zavian wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »

they should have gone the star wars route and made sharon be the daughter of post-endgame steve and sharon

that way they could have snuck in an incest kiss

for more of my disney incest fan fiction please visit my patreon

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I don’t just want an immovable, cold water bidet. But I’m also not willing to spend 500 dollars. Can I get heated water and a movable nozzle and varying pressure for like, 200 dollars?

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    I was talking to the roommate with whom I share a bathroom and I was telling him how I want to get a bidet. And then he asked, what’s a bidet?

Hmm can I convert someone to the Golden Horde

Ask him if he'd be willing to stop using water to wash his hands and face. Dry paper only.

If you wouldn't do that to your hands, why would you do that to your butt?

• Options

Right, it just seems like a case of "the data we are getting out isn't matching the model of whats going in, so clearly the model going in is wrong", when its not clear to me why you couldn't also have a situation where the data coming out is wrong.

that's what the news today is about. more data was analyzed and the anomaly increased in significance rather than being shown to be a random fluke or a problem in the data.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Yeah I know it’ll be fine probably. It’s Optimum cable which I’ve had before isn’t as aggressively awful as other cable internet I’ve had in the past.

It’s so much bigger than my current place and I’m excited to have a really separate office and a heck of a lot cheaper. It’s the first place I’ve seen that felt right. I think I’ll do it.

whats the crawlspace situation

asking for a friend

• Options

the big issue is the model is so right except for these few weird little things and whyyy

• Options
    I don’t just want an immovable, cold water bidet. But I’m also not willing to spend 500 dollars. Can I get heated water and a movable nozzle and varying pressure for like, 200 dollars?

i have a cold water bidet and it's fine

then again i live in florida so the tap water is never really cold

but really who doesn't like cold icy water shot up their butt

it's hygienic!

• Options
    though there is the whole crisis in cosmology thing i guess

no that's good news. any difference in real experimental data and theory is great news. thats how physics works.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    What if it turns out the universe messes with physics whenever humans think they are starting to understand things?
    There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I am reading Harrow The Ninth for the first time. I think I know what the author is doing here but in halfway through almost and it still hasn't happened so I'm super confused at this point. No spoilers please! Just commenting.

• Options

The Luxe Neo I have does both of those. However, it does have to connect via a hose to the bathroom's hot water line, which may or may not be accessible. At a prior rental, I drilled a 1/4" hole in the side of my undersink cabinet for the hose, then when I moved out I sealed the hole with a small plastic cap. Landlord didn't notice.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    isnt there some scifi novel or something where the lore is aliens mess with physics so humans never reach a certain tech level or something?

EDIT: oh it was hitchhiker's guide I guess

Zavian on
  • Options
    The Tushy Spa looks similar. Pressure & temperature, as long as you can connect the hot water line.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Maybe that's the only reason nothing has really happened in 25 years

You coulda been the one, Will

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

The STEM focus is definitely NOT about depressing STEM wages and employee agency.

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    isnt there some scifi novel or something where the lore is aliens mess with physics so humans never reach a certain tech level or something?

Mass Effect had the eldritch cosmic terrors encourage technological development along specified lines by leaving specific pieces of tech scattered about.

• Options

that's what the news today is about. more data was analyzed and the anomaly increased in significance rather than being shown to be a random fluke or a problem in the data.

Right, I guess I didn't mean like, maybe you guys missed a neutrino or something. More like, maybe there is an unknown particle created during muon decay, and you guys weren't looking for it, so ofc the numbers you are getting don't match the model because you aren't seeing the whole picture.

This discussion has been closed.