As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Knockout [Chat]

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Hey, guys, I'm a bit confused by something LED light related, and I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what's going on here.

So, I backed something called the Level Up - it's basically a raised platform for your table top to put board games on so there's more table space for the players. The surface is held up by screw in legs - the bottom of the platform has several places for the legs so you can change where they're screwed in, which means there's 3 possible threaded 1/4 inch sockets for each leg. And someone posted this picture:
    321cc6b72e7210527183274803cdd490_original.JPG?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=700&fit=max&v=1617823635&auto=format&frame=1&q=92&s=d393dcc066d7f8ccbefd6721798503d6

Which is, someone screwed in little LED lights into the empty sockets so the platform was lit underneath. This is a great idea! But how in the F did they do that? The picture came with zero information about how this was accomplished. The only little LED screw in lights I can find require a powered socket to screw into. But these sockets are just for the legs for the platform - there's no power, and I can't see any modifications to indicate someone ran power to the sockets. Are there little LED lights that run off battery that are that tiny? Where would I find such a thing?

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    apparently the only thing that has happened in physics in the 25 years since i was in physics school is the higgs boson being established as probably existing but not directly observed?

really glad i bailed out on my physics career after my undergrad!

but STEM! STEM is the answer to all our education problems! STEEEMMMMMMMMMMMM

Clearly all we need in society is more people making new technologies. None of that lame stuff like sociology or philosophy.

I mean, name one bad thing a scientist has ever done?

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I am reading Harrow The Ninth for the first time. I think I know what the author is doing here but in halfway through almost and it still hasn't happened so I'm super confused at this point. No spoilers please! Just commenting.

What do you think the author is doing?

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    haven't watched it yet but PBS SpaceTime has a new one

https://youtu.be/O4Ko7NW2yQo

How do we know that the Muon is interacting with an unknown particle, and not that the Muon decay products include an unknown particle we aren't expecting/looking for/capable of measuring?

we don't but i guess the idea is none of the particles we do know would explain it

Right, it just seems like a case of "the data we are getting out isn't matching the model of whats going in, so clearly the model going in is wrong", when its not clear to me why you couldn't also have a situation where the data coming out is wrong.

that's what the news today is about. more data was analyzed and the anomaly increased in significance rather than being shown to be a random fluke or a problem in the data.

Right, I guess I didn't mean like, maybe you guys missed a neutrino or something. More like, maybe there is an unknown particle created during muon decay, and you guys weren't looking for it, so ofc the numbers you are getting don't match the model because you aren't seeing the whole picture.

new particles are certainly one possibility here. the main difficulty there is then explaining why we haven't seen these new particles in other cases but yes thats one of the areas lots of people are working on

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    Zavian wrote: »
    isnt there some scifi novel or something where the lore is aliens mess with physics so humans never reach a certain tech level or something?

Mass Effect had the eldritch cosmic terrors encourage technological development along specified lines by leaving specific pieces of tech scattered about.

The Dark Forest trilogy had aliens creating magic "sophons" which were sort of like electrons except that they can control them across infinite distances, and they kept using them to fuck with particle colliders and also using them to create phantom images in physicists eyes and stuff to drive everyone crazy and cripple humans advancement.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    apparently the only thing that has happened in physics in the 25 years since i was in physics school is the higgs boson being established as probably existing but not directly observed?

really glad i bailed out on my physics career after my undergrad!

High Energy Physics (aka "fundamental physics") has been in a rut like that yes. Condensed Matter Physics (aka roughly anything bigger than a proton) has had enormous progress in lots of fields.

It has managed to generate a ton of contempt for theoretical physics among some other physicists though. At least, in my experience.

• Options
    though there is the whole crisis in cosmology thing i guess

Yes, the 4E Spellplague. We were just talking about this the other day.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    If Tony Stark's iron man suit had durability would he still be wrong about the events of Civil War the movie though?

I'm on Captain America's side in that movie but holy shit is his argument so bad. It's like the screenwriters phoned in that whole philosophical discussion with the laziest dialogue possible because they were impatient to get back to banging action figures against each other.

I'm vaguely on iron man's side on it - that these super powerful vigilantes should have some sort of legal framework or oversight to operate within - but he's such an unsympathetic shit of a character and the actual sovokia accord proposition is so cartoonishly bad that you're kind of shunted into siding against him.

i mean i know it's by design but come on marvel. is there some reason why you have to make your movies dumb and boring?

You can't come at comic book movies expecting good narrative or thematic development. That's not what they do. They vaguely gesture at the shape of that development, enough to get things moving, and then focus on action scenes and quips and melodrama, which is what we're all there for

legion was dynamite!

i guess being a series rather than a movie gave it a little more space to be interesting maybe

but i suspect the bigger factor is that it got made outside the marvel studios umbrella

@Irond Will yes!! I started watching Legion specifically because you recommended it as Wandavision but less boring and conventional in the back half. I am 1.5 seasons in and very much enjoying it.

SniperGuy wrote: »
    If Tony Stark's iron man suit had durability would he still be wrong about the events of Civil War the movie though?

I'm on Captain America's side in that movie but holy shit is his argument so bad. It's like the screenwriters phoned in that whole philosophical discussion with the laziest dialogue possible because they were impatient to get back to banging action figures against each other.

I'm vaguely on iron man's side on it - that these super powerful vigilantes should have some sort of legal framework or oversight to operate within - but he's such an unsympathetic shit of a character and the actual sovokia accord proposition is so cartoonishly bad that you're kind of shunted into siding against him.

i mean i know it's by design but come on marvel. is there some reason why you have to make your movies dumb and boring?

You can't come at comic book movies expecting good narrative or thematic development. That's not what they do. They vaguely gesture at the shape of that development, enough to get things moving, and then focus on action scenes and quips and melodrama, which is what we're all there for

legion was dynamite!

i guess being a series rather than a movie gave it a little more space to be interesting maybe

but i suspect the bigger factor is that it got made outside the marvel studios umbrella

I only watched season 1 and I really liked it, but it was still the same stuff, just more surreal and weird

It was still muddled and didn't have anything to say, and it still ended with two people having a beam fight

The beam fight was definitely a beam fight, and it was a very boring letdown. Nothing about the narrative or characters was expressed in the confrontation. It was not depicted in a formally experimental or weird way. The outcome was selected for plot purposes. They hadokened each other's hadokens.

I also agree that season 1 has nothing to say about the human condition. But I don't think it pretends to, either. What it has to say is "wouldn't it be cool if we were formally experimental and weird all the time?" And it is. Especially because I get high as a kite off legal weed first and then they flash colors and sounds in my face and the actors are, like, weirdly sobbing in half the scenes. Magnificent.

MrMister on
  • Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    I ate a burrito and I am very sleepy now

These damn alien sophons are to blame

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    I was talking to the roommate with whom I share a bathroom and I was telling him how I want to get a bidet. And then he asked, what’s a bidet?

Hmm can I convert someone to the Golden Horde

"It's the most thorough way to clean your ass, but it's not only that - it's also the best way for you or your guess to get rid of huge cums oozing out of your- hey come back!"

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I heard they found out physics is fake

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

I certainly haven't seen any evidence to DISPROVE we're living in a cat's dream

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Physics doesn't even account for elementals.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Physics doesn't even account for elementals.

hqdefault.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2021

How do we know that the Muon is interacting with an unknown particle, and not that the Muon decay products include an unknown particle we aren't expecting/looking for/capable of measuring?

we don't but i guess the idea is none of the particles we do know would explain it

Right, it just seems like a case of "the data we are getting out isn't matching the model of whats going in, so clearly the model going in is wrong", when its not clear to me why you couldn't also have a situation where the data coming out is wrong.

that's what the news today is about. more data was analyzed and the anomaly increased in significance rather than being shown to be a random fluke or a problem in the data.

Right, I guess I didn't mean like, maybe you guys missed a neutrino or something. More like, maybe there is an unknown particle created during muon decay, and you guys weren't looking for it, so ofc the numbers you are getting don't match the model because you aren't seeing the whole picture.

new particles are certainly one possibility here. the main difficulty there is then explaining why we haven't seen these new particles in other cases but yes thats one of the areas lots of people are working on

I guess thats the main issue with looking at all of this from a highschool diploma and trying to guess at answers. Cause obviously all that extra gravity the additional mass of the Muons have should go somewhere, right?

Edit: Basically I want to be on one of those podcasts where dumb people ask physicists all sorts of ridiculous questions and get answers. Cause I have lots of dumb questions.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Hmm maybe I wouldn’t mind cold water bidet’ing. I’ve only used DK’s which was super nice and full featured. I just don’t want to spend the money and energy on a cheaper thing and then have buyer’s remorse.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, also I had a meeting with a student today about how they can raise their grade.

They were calling in from the parking lot outside their job. Outside of being a student, they work from 4pm to 3am 6 days a week.

the aristocrats!!

• Options
    HEY GUYS

turns out physics is dumb and scientists are even dumberz ololzlzl

• Options
    Hmm maybe I wouldn’t mind cold water bidet’ing. I’ve only used DK’s which was super nice and full featured. I just don’t want to spend the money and energy on a cheaper thing and then have buyer’s remorse.

How much electricity is a bidet really drawing, though.

• Options

How much electricity is a bidet really drawing, though.

🧠

• Options
    5iI7Zxt.jpg

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Hey, guys, I'm a bit confused by something LED light related, and I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what's going on here.

So, I backed something called the Level Up - it's basically a raised platform for your table top to put board games on so there's more table space for the players. The surface is held up by screw in legs - the bottom of the platform has several places for the legs so you can change where they're screwed in, which means there's 3 possible threaded 1/4 inch sockets for each leg. And someone posted this picture:
    321cc6b72e7210527183274803cdd490_original.JPG?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=700&fit=max&v=1617823635&auto=format&frame=1&q=92&s=d393dcc066d7f8ccbefd6721798503d6

Which is, someone screwed in little LED lights into the empty sockets so the platform was lit underneath. This is a great idea! But how in the F did they do that? The picture came with zero information about how this was accomplished. The only little LED screw in lights I can find require a powered socket to screw into. But these sockets are just for the legs for the platform - there's no power, and I can't see any modifications to indicate someone ran power to the sockets. Are there little LED lights that run off battery that are that tiny? Where would I find such a thing?

https://www.partycity.com/led-balloon-lights-12ct-412618.html

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Oh yeah, also I had a meeting with a student today about how they can raise their grade.

They were calling in from the parking lot outside their job. Outside of being a student, they work from 4pm to 3am 6 days a week.

the aristocrats!!
    I struggled to turn anything in just because im baby, does that count

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i cold water bidet and it's entirely fine

puts a little pep in your step in the winter

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I am interested in finding out more about what models including supersymmetry might be able to replace the standard model. Would these be basically the same as the standard model with supersymmetry added on, or would it open the gate for more out-there models?

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Is your bathroom's hot water line inaccessible from the toilet?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    MrMister wrote: »

the aristocrats!!

In the 70s I worked 5 hours a year at the local doohickey factory. Made it through my classes that consisted of doing peyote with my professor just fine.

• Options

I guess thats the main issue with looking at all of this from a highschool diploma and trying to guess at answers. Cause obviously all that extra gravity the additional mass of the Muons have should go somewhere, right?

the mass does matter a lot

oddly enough, the gravity not so much. at least as far as is known. all off the difficulty with quantum gravity is because it is so hard to imagine an experiment where gravity matters for particles. no one has ever managed it so far but people are inching closer. if you ever see news about experiments in measuring the gravity between smaller and smaller objects that is what they are really about. getting to a point where we can measure both gravity and quantum effects in the same experient. that would be such a huge advance.

the reason gravity is such an issue here is how weak it is as a force. depending on what you mean by the "strength" of a force, gravity is something like 10 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 times weaker than electromagnetism.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I was talking to the roommate with whom I share a bathroom and I was telling him how I want to get a bidet. And then he asked, what’s a bidet?

Hmm can I convert someone to the Golden Horde

he's gonna be like "what that's weird and gross". and occasionally call it names like "robot toilet" or more probably something racist

then one day you will hear him use it and he will never speak of it again

finally it will break or stop working and you'll tell him and he'll scream in frenzied grief like sméagol after losing the one ring

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    the mass does matter

and, as we know from einstein, the mass does energy, too

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    these are the three stages of normies with bidets

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

Edit: Basically I want to be on one of those podcasts where dumb people ask physicists all sorts of ridiculous questions and get answers. Cause I have lots of dumb questions.

Sabine's youtube channel is good. So is PBS spacetime.

https://www.youtube.com/user/peppermint78

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7_gcs09iThXybpVgjHZ_7g

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    is it possible to bruise your tailbone by sitting too much?

my butt hurts ;_;

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    So we switched our corporate phone numbers (which I never use) to Zoom phone and I guess I got a new number. It doesn’t matter—I mute the thing since every call I get is a cold call.

Apparently that number can receive texts now and someone has me on a text thread. Either my number used to belong to someone else or someone made a typo.

Anyway, I’m on this thread for people who I’m pretty sure work in VIP sales at Yankee Stadium because I’m getting texts of pictures of VIP wristbands and whatnot. I’m not sure how to use this to my advantage.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I have a cold water bidet and I love it

The only annoying part is drying after

• Options
    Feral I’m not sure. I haven’t looked. But also apparently some of the nice, electric bidet models heat the water themselves and don’t need a hot water line

• Options
    JebusUD wrote: »
    doohickey.

which is also what i call my bidet

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I have a cold water bidet and I love it

The only annoying part is drying after

The difference is night and biday.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    toilet paper is a global conspiracy by the tree people

for more, please visit my YouTube channel

remember to like and subscribe, and be sure to hit the bell button

This discussion has been closed.