Options

[Legends of Runeterra] Definitely not Neeko! Nope!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I mean, some celebration in sports is fine, but there is a line. If a guy flips his bat like that too often, he will get hit by a pitch. Thankfully (or maybe not depending on your perspective) there is no penalty like that in CCGs.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    not any more for celebrations, unless you target another player with them. that will get you penalized because it's okay to celebrate, it's not okay to be a dick about it

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    We had this discussion before but people take the emotes too seriously. If I use a Culling Strike on your dude, then you moonlight to buff them over the threshold, and then I frostbite you, yeah I'm gonna do the MF gun fingers emote. When you have a Deny for my Deny, I'm gonna do the Nocturne kaiba emote. If you're taking a long time to think during a critical moment and moving shit on and off the stack, I'm gonna sweating Ezreal you. And at the end, if you played a good game at the end I'm going to use Vlad to raise a cup.

There are definitely people who are just trying to troll the fuck out of you with it but really I'm just using it to communicate and have some fun like you would do with a real opponent sitting across the table from you. "Hey, good game." "Damn, you got me." "Aha! Well in response to your response, I will..."

Also I dunno how you could be annoyed often enough to ignore anyone. I'd say the vast majority of people emote not at all, and then the next biggest tranche of people emote only at beginning/end of game. That leaves a small percentage of fun people and trolls and it just doesn't happen that often.

There's a reason most other kinds of competitive games (like sports) generally don't let you do this kind of shit. Especially at the amateur level where there's not really monetary or entertainment incentives involved.

Like, what you are talking about is a long winded way of saying "Get over it, it's just words".

I wouldn't say I'm saying to get over it. I'm saying you're probably reading more into it than is necessarily there.

Dover is right, it's hard to get context on the internet which means you're imparting what you want onto it. If you want to see it as fun and playful you can, and if you want to see it as trolling and dickish, you can. The guy can't jump through your screen and say "no that wasn't fun what I meant is 'fuck you eat my shit scrub.'"

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    So... I kind of want to make a classic Blue/White style Counterspell control+denial deck. Just to be a dick. Because I'm very tired of all these hardcore aggro assholes.

Thus far I know it has to use Ionia because of Nopeify and Deny, as well as Stun and Recall, but the secondary region is an issue, as is the Champion. Shurmia has another Counterspell, and it can give people Vulnerable; Targon has Stun effects; Freljord has Frostbite which is also a good White/Blue type effect.

Anybody have ideas? I'm not actually good at deckbuilding.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Zoe Karma probably fits the closest to UW control. Zoe Lee is less controlling, and has a worse aggro matchup, but is generally stronger.

If your goal is just to beat aggro with a control deck then TLC is like 60+ into every aggro matchup and is easier to play than either of the above.

Playing purely reactive control is a bit of a struggle, both in the current meta and the game's design overall. A lack of persistent life gain in the game means you can get chipped to death by burn and elusives if you don't develop your own threats once you've secured the board, and other slow decks have game ending threats like Watcher, Lee Sin, or ASol that are difficult to cleanly answer. Which is why control decks inevitably end up in either SI or Targon, to get Starshaping or Atrocity.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    Zoe Karma probably fits the closest to UW control. Zoe Lee is less controlling, and has a worse aggro matchup, but is generally stronger.

If your goal is just to beat aggro with a control deck then TLC is like 60+ into every aggro matchup and is easier to play than either of the above.

Playing purely reactive control is a bit of a struggle, both in the current meta and the game's design overall. A lack of persistent life gain in the game means you can get chipped to death by burn and elusives if you don't develop your own threats once you've secured the board, and other slow decks have game ending threats like Watcher, Lee Sin, or ASol that are difficult to cleanly answer. Which is why control decks inevitably end up in either SI or Targon, to get Starshaping or Atrocity.

Aesthetically I hate SI, so I guess Targon Forever it is.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Emotes make me angry because for whatever reason the lack of interaction with an opponent always makes me assume the worst.

But they're a great monetization spot, so I endure them and usually mute my opponent if I remember.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I'm very tired of legion marauder

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    I'm very tired of legion marauder

This is like the only time that card has gotten time in the sun! Go be tired of some dumber shit like Atrocity combo that never really dies.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I like Legion Marauder as I am a huge sucker for units that pump up their own volume.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Actually what's stupid and boring is the Watcher combo deck. I'd rather play against Atrocity combo. Honestly if the "heal until infinity and then accomplish totally noninteractive inevitable durdle combo win" of the SI/Frel decks could be nerfed into oblivion that would make me very happy in general.

• Options
    IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Any guess as to when the spoilers for the next set will drop? There's only about two weeks left until the next set.

Asked and answered (kind of).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKarEOxXa3s

Ivellius on
    Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

(Because Blade has no rarity it is a generated card, likely from the Irelia hero)

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I'm curious why blades aren't just ephemeral, was it potentially too strong with death triggers or ephemeral synergy?

• Options
    I'm curious why blades aren't just ephemeral, was it potentially too strong with death triggers or ephemeral synergy?

I'd imagine it's going to depend on how they're generated. If they're something that comes into play on round start, for example, you can potentially bank them to attack with multiple in a single turn.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Woo-hoo! Spoilers season is upon us! And that animated trailer was great.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I wonder if Irelia recalls the blades. "Whenever I attack, put all blades from your hand into play attacking. Whenever blades deal damage, recall them."

• Options
    Chip also implies Malphite could have landmark synergy (or potentially even be a landmark) which could be interesting for Taliyah.

• Options
    Oh shit a landmark that counts down into a champion would be pretty fucking cool. A stone statue Malphite coming to life.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    We had this discussion before but people take the emotes too seriously. If I use a Culling Strike on your dude, then you moonlight to buff them over the threshold, and then I frostbite you, yeah I'm gonna do the MF gun fingers emote. When you have a Deny for my Deny, I'm gonna do the Nocturne kaiba emote. If you're taking a long time to think during a critical moment and moving shit on and off the stack, I'm gonna sweating Ezreal you. And at the end, if you played a good game at the end I'm going to use Vlad to raise a cup.

There are definitely people who are just trying to troll the fuck out of you with it but really I'm just using it to communicate and have some fun like you would do with a real opponent sitting across the table from you. "Hey, good game." "Damn, you got me." "Aha! Well in response to your response, I will..."

Also I dunno how you could be annoyed often enough to ignore anyone. I'd say the vast majority of people emote not at all, and then the next biggest tranche of people emote only at beginning/end of game. That leaves a small percentage of fun people and trolls and it just doesn't happen that often.

There's a reason most other kinds of competitive games (like sports) generally don't let you do this kind of shit. Especially at the amateur level where there's not really monetary or entertainment incentives involved.

Like, what you are talking about is a long winded way of saying "Get over it, it's just words".

I wouldn't say I'm saying to get over it. I'm saying you're probably reading more into it than is necessarily there.

Dover is right, it's hard to get context on the internet which means you're imparting what you want onto it. If you want to see it as fun and playful you can, and if you want to see it as trolling and dickish, you can. The guy can't jump through your screen and say "no that wasn't fun what I meant is 'fuck you eat my shit scrub.'"

Except it doesn't matter what you see it as, it matters how it effects the other person. And considering the emotes are often deliberately designed to be gloating, I'm not sure what the other context is. And hell, if it's about celebration you literally don't even need to send an emote to the other person. They don't need to know you are celebrating. When you are sending an emote you are deliberately trying to say something to the other player.

And for the other things brought up, sports do have people celebrating goals or whatever. But that's celebrating with your team, not gloating over the other team. And excessive celebration or especially going over and doing it directly to the other team is considered at best bad sportsmanship. And in the context of a video game where people aren't even in the same space as each other, you don't need to worry because nothing you do can even be seen by the other side. Except if you deliberately send it to them.

You literally don't have to say anything to the other player, so what exactly are you communicating when you go out of your way to send something to them? What kind of behavior are the developers suggesting is appropriate when they design a system to let you do that and then give you emotes that are often deliberately designed to communicate negative emotional messages?

• Options
    IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    Oh shit a landmark that counts down into a champion would be pretty fucking cool. A stone statue Malphite coming to life.

Given the trailer I think something similar probably will be the case.

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Except it doesn't matter what you see it as, it matters how it effects the other person. And considering the emotes are often deliberately designed to be gloating, I'm not sure what the other context is. And hell, if it's about celebration you literally don't even need to send an emote to the other person. They don't need to know you are celebrating. When you are sending an emote you are deliberately trying to say something to the other player.

And for the other things brought up, sports do have people celebrating goals or whatever. But that's celebrating with your team, not gloating over the other team. And excessive celebration or especially going over and doing it directly to the other team is considered at best bad sportsmanship. And in the context of a video game where people aren't even in the same space as each other, you don't need to worry because nothing you do can even be seen by the other side. Except if you deliberately send it to them.

You literally don't have to say anything to the other player, so what exactly are you communicating when you go out of your way to send something to them? What kind of behavior are the developers suggesting is appropriate when they design a system to let you do that and then give you emotes that are often deliberately designed to communicate negative emotional messages?

It does matter what you, specifically, see it as. I think given the exact same game against the same player making the same emotes in the same context I'll be more likely to read it as "oh this dude is being playful let's emote back" and you'll read it as "what a fucking dick."

You're right that you don't have to say anything, that's true for most life situations. I think it's more fun when you DO talk to people in some contexts. I've played against players in real life who literally just say "I tap this. I play this. I attack you with this. Response?" They're communicating the bare minimum and it's more mechanical and less fun. I think it's fun when you have some banter. "I'm going to kill that with this?" "Mmmm, nope! Counterspell." "Ooooh, you bastard, okay you got me." I don't even send emotes for celebratory purposes and I can't think of one that would do that. Maybe the confetti poro? My end game emote is intended as a "good game." You don't have to extend a hand to your opponent after the game in real life, or acknowledge the game even happened. But it's nicer and more fun when you do.

Emotes can be a welcome, a gentle tease, an acknowledgement of defeat or a good play on either player's part, a particularly sweaty moment, or countless other things! I do think it's a fun way to communicate without allowing people to hurl slurs at you based on the composition of your deck though in that pretty rare outlier. I guess what I'd say I'm communicating is "Hi, good game. Let's have some fun!"

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    my opinion is that interpreting maliciousness into emotes reflects more on how one interacts with other people in an anonymous game than they do on the emotes

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Ivellius wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Any guess as to when the spoilers for the next set will drop? There's only about two weeks left until the next set.

Asked and answered (kind of).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKarEOxXa3s

lol there's an image there straight out of Avatar: the Last Airbender

"long ago Ionia lived in harmony, but then everything changed when the Noxians attacked!"

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    i wonder how many more landmarks they plan on releasing. because most of the landmarks with countdown are already only 1-2 turns. the only ones that arent are the sun disk, the rock bear, and the 8/8 freljord ones.

chip seems like a really aggro card for targon. like turn 1 play him turn 2 you can easily drop the 3/1 that summons a landmark, or in targon the one that gives you 2 celestial cards.

also all of the irelia art looks amazing.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Regarding emotes and the interpretation thereof, for starters I agree that if someone can only interpret communication from an opponent in the worst possible light they should maybe reflect on why that is and what that might say about the attitude they’re bringing to the game.

But in addition to that, I will acknowledge that some use of emotes in games like this is absolutely to troll and I think that is totally fine. Good, even.

Do I try to treat every opponent with respect, and hope they do the same? Absolutely. But the occasional villain makes for more interesting stories. Beating someone who started gloating via emote a little too early feels better than a half-dozen wins against polite opponents, and losing to someone like that can be excellent motivation.

• Options
    Hopped on for a couple games real quick. Decided on my non marauder ashe/leblanc deck. Forgot I have a yolo copy of howling abyss in it. Happened to get taliyah 2nd turn, then just buried my opponent with champs.

• Options
    Since falling back to Plat 4, I switched up to meme decks for fun. First was the return of Targon’s Peak. Lost more than I won, but had fun.

Up second was Kindred/Karma Go Hard. I ran into a Zoe/Asol deck and crushed it. Turns out having a bunch of 1 health minions on my board make perfect targets for Go Hard, which in turn mark and kill Asol. Lol

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Champ spoiler should be up soon. Nevermind, the other 4 cards were just token versions of Instant Century and Imagined Possibilities.

Yilias on
  • Options
    I hate the order that they are revealing things. show me the landmarks that make any of these matter at all, then ill get hyped about cards to cheat their effects out faster.

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    I hate the order that they are revealing things. show me the landmarks that make any of these matter at all, then ill get hyped about cards to cheat their effects out faster.

On their Twitter, they admitted that the reveals for today and tomorrow got reversed.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    forever my Achilles, i dont use twitter and so only use it as a last resort for troubleshooting if a game's servers are down or something.

but still even the day 1 reveals 2/3 of the cards were about landmarks and the other is just obviously irelia related.

• Options
    The only thing the reveals have told me so far is that I'm getting Chip as a board pet when they inevitably add him.

• Options
    The only thing the reveals have told me so far is that I'm getting Chip as a board pet when they inevitably add him.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I feel like chip being catapulted to full on viral status in LoR is something they didn't expect. Also the kind of thing the artist is definitely like "fuck yeah I made that"

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Came back for the Anniversary freebies for the first time in eight months. Spent about a week eyeballing what's what. Look around for what seems fun and end up reading:
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    this is bbg's shyv/asol deck - it's a pretty strong dragon deck

CECQCBAABYCAGAAGBAFQ4BQDBEBTSV24MTOQCAIBAANACAQAAEAACAIBAADQ

Broke into my shard cold storage, crafted pretty much all of it, and currently rolling 4-2 at the moment in ranked play.

BUT - one of the losses was a 20-minute chess dance against waves of Avinas so @MNC Dover probably felt a flash of happiness today without knowing why.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    The Judge wrote: »
    Came back for the Anniversary freebies for the first time in eight months. Spent about a week eyeballing what's what. Look around for what seems fun and end up reading:
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    this is bbg's shyv/asol deck - it's a pretty strong dragon deck

CECQCBAABYCAGAAGBAFQ4BQDBEBTSV24MTOQCAIBAANACAQAAEAACAIBAADQ

Broke into my shard cold storage, crafted pretty much all of it, and currently rolling 4-2 at the moment in ranked play.

BUT - one of the losses was a 20-minute chess dance against waves of Avinas so "MNC Dover" probably felt a flash of happiness today without knowing why.

I was wondering why I was feeling extra chipper today. At first I thought it was getting my first vaxx shot, but now I know the truth. :)

And hey, welcome back!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I still fully believe the designers are mega-addicted to adding All The Keywords and it's the game's weak spot for bringing new people in.

It helps that it's so pretty

• Options
    The Judge wrote: »
    I still fully believe the designers are mega-addicted to adding All The Keywords and it's the game's weak spot for bringing new people in.

It helps that it's so pretty

nk288k4gre6g.jpg

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    NOT HELPING