Options

Starsector is an open-world single-player space-combat hyphenated-description game

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Fiatil wrote: »
    It's definitely an amazing game. They seem super close to 1.0, and the development has probably been too slow overall for a release on Steam. But he's kept at it, and I would be really surprised if it doesn't sell well once it finally releases there.

.95 is the next patch and its current in play testing. So probably only a few more months. Distance between .95 and 1.0 is... unknown. But at some point the planned "next release of 1.0" became .95. Patch notes went up in october: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=19253.0

Excuse me the distance between 0.95 and 1.0 is exactly 0.05.

Do you even math?

• Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    I've forgotten my password, and pw recovery doen't seem to work. In fact it says it knows nothing about my email address.

Do anyone know if the login at the bottom of the fractalworks page is for their forums? That might be why it's not working.

Also, I wish I knew how to make mods for this game. When I played I couldalmost, but not quite, remember the configuration of the warpstorm between my colonies and the center of the sector.

It would be nice to have a heatmap overlay on the map, so I can see what rute I mostly take.
    I feel like that would be a nice compromise between no mapping and haveing the map autofilled with the storms that you have been near.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Storms are random in deep hyperspace. Deep hyperspace can be seen in the map by toggling option 1 in the map.

Not sure what the main page login is because I’ve never used it. It probably doesn’t have anything to do with obtaining a copy/update since I got that through the email that I got when I purchased the game

Edit: went and found the “main page login”....

It’s the Wordpress login for the web page. It’s even got the big Wordpress logo at the top, it is, as they say “not for you”

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    AFAIK if you wish to try out the game you can just download it and play it without spending a dime. The Devs are pretty well convinced that if you like it you will give them monies.

Chances are good if the game piques your interest you'll probably be giving them money.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    I used this to try the game out.

I then pretty quickly bought the game myself because it was so good.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Alright time to give this a shot!

Edit: Should I do any mods as a new player, or just dive straight in?

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Nought wrote: »
    I've forgotten my password, and pw recovery doen't seem to work. In fact it says it knows nothing about my email address.

Do anyone know if the login at the bottom of the fractalworks page is for their forums? That might be why it's not working.

Also, I wish I knew how to make mods for this game. When I played I couldalmost, but not quite, remember the configuration of the warpstorm between my colonies and the center of the sector.

It would be nice to have a heatmap overlay on the map, so I can see what rute I mostly take.
    I feel like that would be a nice compromise between no mapping and haveing the map autofilled with the storms that you have been near.

I think (but not 100% sure) the login on the main page is to log into the blog post (i.e. you're a dev). There is a separate forum login if you click the forum link. If you are trying to find your info to download a copy of the game, check your email from:bmtmicro.com

• Options
    When do you guys abandon a run/game?

When I played this, about a year ago, I had six colonies and had been lucky to find three XIV Legions. But it felt like I was mostly at a maintenance level.

I had found a mothership and was about to try and take it out, but just sorta stopped playing.

The 0.9.5 stuff looks interesting, but do you have to sign up for beta testing? Can't seem to find any way to download that patch of the game.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Nought wrote: »

I think (but not 100% sure) the login on the main page is to log into the blog post (i.e. you're a dev). There is a separate forum login if you click the forum link. If you are trying to find your info to download a copy of the game, check your email from:bmtmicro.com

Aah, that was what the wordpress comment was about. I have never read or written blogs, so I didn't recognize it.

I can log into the game, since it has saved my login. But I thought I could get the 0.95 client, and wanted to make sure I remembered the pw correctly before installing anything.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Sometimes when it starts to become a grind, or I want to try out a different playstyle or experience the early stages of the game again. Often though it's because a bunch of the mods I'm using have updated and I'm interested in the changes/additions and at least some of them will be non save compatible.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I lost my legion :(

It died in a glorious fight against a huge fleet, one I had to flee. If I had taken all the ships I had stored I could have won. Woe is me.

Its sacrifice allowed me to come back and finish the enemy, and save my colony but at what cost.

stopgap on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Was it a XIVth Battlegroup Legion?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Yes. I am pretty bummed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yea, those are limited. A difficult loss.

Fortunately I am horrible at using legions and so never have to worry about losing the museum pieces.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Internal development notes for 0.95a are up; Mosolov says on his twitter it will be the last batch of notes before the next release, so should be coming soon!

Couple of big takeaways:
    • More obtrusive contraband scans (i.e. boarding parties) if your suspicion is high. Scans in general more likely to find contraband
    • A few unclaimed core systems with randomly generated planets will no longer roll habitability
    • NPC portraits are very unlikely to be the same as the player character (lol)
    • Tri-Tachyon fleets will now have more warships in their makeup (previously was skewed towards carriers and phase-ships). This will also reflect a bit in the shipyard screen so some of the high-tech warships show up for purchase more
    • Pirate raids, AI inspections, etc. will take longer before first triggering on a new colony and will occur less frequently. Hopefully now we can spend more time exploring and less time babysitting our colonies
    • Hyperion ship got completely redesigned (including new sprite and AI behavior): now classified as "advanced gunship" with 2 energy 1 universal (all medium size) with lower speed/maneuverability but greatly increased flux venting (almost 1 class higher) and armor/hull
    • Some weapon balancing and new d-mods

• Options
    I am so hugely excited for this!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    So I bought this one the words in the OP that it is like "Mount and Blade in space" and good god is that right. It's not *quite* the same, and I think is missing some of the depth, particularly on the faction warfare side (it's a lot less driven by warlords and more the faction itself from what I can tell). That said, it's way more interesting on the equipment side with some serious depth of design.

I've gotten fairly deep into my first campaign that didn't end in me exploding before leaving the first system, and I just managed to pick up a derelict cruiser from a system controlled by rogue AI... pretty neat zipping around the system running dark to avoid the patrols and get out with my very large booty. :winky:

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    damn you guys for bumping this thread up; had never heard of this before and had to buy it. I've heard mount and blade comparisons but if anyone else else is old like me it reminds me a lot of escape velocity back in '96; which i loved

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Well, I found out about the insane modding scene and picked up a bunch of QoL mods, plus the Nexerelin mod that really does turn this into M&B in Space. Full faction control, raise fleets, diplomacy, the works.

It's also a LOT harder and I've just barely managed to remove the pirate station from my staring system that I had tolerated for months of in game time. I've barely left known space to go exploring, since the first time I tried I bumped into a massive pirate fleet in a system that was unexplored... I guess just unexplored to me!

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    That sounds so cool. Harder you say?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Starsector is an open-world single-player space-combat hyphenated-description game that has just hit .95a

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Starsector is an open-world single-player space-combat hyphenated-description game that has just hit .95a

Aaaand unless I'm missing something, you can just straight up download it from that page, no account or key required. I haven't logged in to their website in ages, so I'm assuming it's not doing anything fancy on that end. I bought it long ago, but just downloaded the setup and it works.

It may be using the key from my already installed version though, so not 100% sure.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Fiatil wrote: »

Aaaand unless I'm missing something, you can just straight up download it from that page, no account or key required. I haven't logged in to their website in ages, so I'm assuming it's not doing anything fancy on that end. I bought it long ago, but just downloaded the setup and it works.

It may be using the key from my already installed version though, so not 100% sure.

When launched it asks for an activation code.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Gotcha! Guess it just nabbed one from my other installed version then. I installed the new version in a separate folder to keep my old mods, and I didn't have to input one when I launched.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh my god. The hyperion has a phase teleporter that has a limit of "you must have zero flux boost" to use...

The helmsmanship elite skill means you can get zero flux boost whenever you're not generating flux. So you can use a non SO hyperion. dump all your flux and then just leave

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    The latest patch has been a ton of fun to play lately. This is also the first go around where I've added a few mods on; nothing super major, mostly just some graphics enhancements and Nexerelin for once I finish up this playthrough and start another.

• Options
    The latest patch has been a ton of fun to play lately. This is also the first go around where I've added a few mods on; nothing super major, mostly just some graphics enhancements and Nexerelin for once I finish up this playthrough and start another.

I have fallen deeply down the rabbot hole of mods.its pretty cool I tell you what.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I've explored about 3/4 of the galaxy on my run through... so far I've found only two
    coronal hypershunts (both right next to each other of course) and a couple of Remnant systems
    that are just so big I can't figure out how I'm supposed to beat them.

On the other hand, I still haven't finished the main story quest... mostly done, I think, but more to do. Once I've finished this run I'll see what the mod community has written up! I'm hoping for a good Warhammer 40k mod...

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    I love this game but I am so, so bad at the combat. I think it's partly the lack of an independent frame of reference to guage movement. But also partly that I am bad at video games.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    There's a mod that adds a little 'you are moving this way' arrow to your ship. Very handy.

Also I've grown to love all the low-tech ships where the special ability is just 'PRESS THE RED BUTTON' to go fast. It's fun to load up a Legion or Onslaught with lots of close range dakka and give someone a hug.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    Apogee wrote: »
    I've explored about 3/4 of the galaxy on my run through... so far I've found only two
    coronal hypershunts (both right next to each other of course) and a couple of Remnant systems

On the other hand, I still haven't finished the main story quest... mostly done, I think, but more to do. Once I've finished this run I'll see what the mod community has written up! I'm hoping for a good Warhammer 40k mod...

There are only 2 of those spoilered locations in a standard world-gen. As for the [Redacted] systems there should be more than a handful. I've only flown past half or so of the sector and seen maybe 4 red, 8 yellow and maybe 6 green warning beacons.

I just set up my first two colonies (a really nice 75% hazard rating farming planet and a decent no-atmosphere one for mining. A third planet in-system will likely eventually be a refining and heavy industry location once I can get some infrastructure built up on the first two and stop bleeding spacebucks every month.

Academy story spoilers through "Alpha Site:"
    I returned the info about the ship guarding the alpha site to the academy but haven't seen any other story missions pop up but I'm sure there is more. I'm guessing once I can build enough firepower to take on the ship and maybe survey the planet it'll open up more but my luck in finding quality cruisers or battleships has been poor. 2 XIV Legions and a Conquest is all I've managed to salvage. Plenty of blueprints though so once industry is going I can build up some specific fleets tailored to taking on end-game content instead of burning story points to disengage :biggrin:

• Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    Apogee wrote: »

There are only 2 of those spoilered locations in a standard world-gen. As for the [Redacted] systems there should be more than a handful. I've only flown past half or so of the sector and seen maybe 4 red, 8 yellow and maybe 6 green warning beacons.

I just set up my first two colonies (a really nice 75% hazard rating farming planet and a decent no-atmosphere one for mining. A third planet in-system will likely eventually be a refining and heavy industry location once I can get some infrastructure built up on the first two and stop bleeding spacebucks every month.

Academy story spoilers through "Alpha Site:"
    I returned the info about the ship guarding the alpha site to the academy but haven't seen any other story missions pop up but I'm sure there is more. I'm guessing once I can build enough firepower to take on the ship and maybe survey the planet it'll open up more but my luck in finding quality cruisers or battleships has been poor. 2 XIV Legions and a Conquest is all I've managed to salvage. Plenty of blueprints though so once industry is going I can build up some specific fleets tailored to taking on end-game content instead of burning story points to disengage :biggrin:

Once you finish the Alpha site if you wait a few weeks you can return to get one last goodie.

• Options

Aw, that's a bummer. They're right beside each other in the ass-end of nowhere with few systems nearby. Guess I'll need to set up a few forge-worlds anyways...

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Oh hey, an update recently? I should plunge back into this timedevouring abyss again.

Hopefully the devs have backed off a bit on the "deliberately disincentivize trading" aspect..

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Oh hey, an update recently? I should plunge back into this timedevouring abyss again.

Hopefully the devs have backed off a bit on the "deliberately disincentivize trading" aspect..

What do you mean? Trading drugs an other illicits is such an easy way to make the monies.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

What do you mean? Trading drugs an other illicits is such an easy way to make the monies.

That's what I meant - the only way to get money was piracy/smuggling, since there was no point to buying/selling anything else by design due to the huge tariffs.

• Options
    I think Alex (the dev) is on the record saying that having a buy low, sell high trading game, especially with the simplified economy, is boring and doesn't make for fun and engaging gameplay. I'm pretty sure that there are some mods out there that reduce tariffs though if that's holding you back. I think we'd need a major revamp (going back to a more complex economy) that was relatively stable but also had more emergent type activities (hijacking on the high seas hyperspace lanes) pop up to make it more interesting than planning out a route on a spreadsheet and just running it over and over. There is a bit of stuff you can do like knock out trade convoys in hyperspace with your transponder off and then when there is a major shortage you can then turn around and sell with the tariffs in place and even earn faction favorability points by restoring their deficits. But generally that increased price with the tariff in place is roughly the same as the black market price without the deficit.

• Options
    Yeah being a trading game like that just isn't this game's strength -- the tariffs are a conscious decision meant to push you into the game's main strength, which is the super fancy combat system.

There are mods to remove the tariffs if you want to give it a shot though; it's pretty easy to get rid of them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    There are also plenty of trading missions that explicitly make a profit if running a trading empire is your bag.

If you get a contact from one you can even set it up so you have a never ending source of trade missions.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I started a 0.90 game two weeks before the patch with the logic that the patch most like was way off in the future.

It was only my second game, but I included some faction mods.

Have Diable Avionics, Dassault-Mikoyan and Volkov Industrial.

I really like the Diable transport that is a fuel tanker and 2/3s of a colossus in one, and the D-M carriers and the big gun destroyer are fun, if a bit fragile.

Atm I have four okay colonies, where two are in a system that is a hop and skip from TT space.

I'm have a bit of a problem in getting BPs for capital ships, as I have almost vacuumed the sector.

It seems like the problem is that I have diluded the drop pool with the three faction mods.

Is it normal having to start raiding the empires to get the good ship BPs?

Or is this something the 0 95 patch have alleviated, so I should just patch and start a new game?

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.