Options

Starsector is an open-world single-player space-combat hyphenated-description game

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Nought wrote: »
    I started a 0.90 game two weeks before the patch with the logic that the patch most like was way off in the future.

It was only my second game, but I included some faction mods.

Have Diable Avionics, Dassault-Mikoyan and Volkov Industrial.

I really like the Diable transport that is a fuel tanker and 2/3s of a colossus in one, and the D-M carriers and the big gun destroyer are fun, if a bit fragile.

Atm I have four okay colonies, where two are in a system that is a hop and skip from TT space.

I'm have a bit of a problem in getting BPs for capital ships, as I have almost vacuumed the sector.

It seems like the problem is that I have diluded the drop pool with the three faction mods.

Is it normal having to start raiding the empires to get the good ship BPs?

Or is this something the 0 95 patch have alleviated, so I should just patch and start a new game?

The 0.95 patch has made some big changes across everything (new weapons, rebalanced ships, new story line missions, completely revamped skill system, addition of "story points" to let you do extra fun/cool stuff) so I'd recommend patching and starting a new game whenever you feel done with your current game. The drop rate is balanced around the vanilla experience so I could see why you're maybe lacking BPs a bit. Raiding is ridiculously strong this patch and once you grind down a heavily armed faction manufacturing base you can raid it for blueprints so there is theoretically no limit, just time and luck need to be with you.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Even in .9 getting specific BP was done by raiding

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    In .95 the dev added a historian character you can sometimes find in bars that will give you leads on blue prints you dont have yet. Other than that its raiding faction military bases.

The nexerelin mod adds a prism port option you can trade in surplus blueprints for ones you don't have.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The historian character will both

A) Eventually give you all blueprints

and

B) spawns blueprints rather than showing you where they are

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    ... still no autosave in Starsector, btw, unless you download mods.

The fact that it's still missing is mind-boggling.

• Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    I downloaded the autosave mod by lazywizard.

The default setting is to only remind you to autosave about every 15mins.

It's really nice to be reminded, without having the slowdown, the saves cause, all the time.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    There are also plenty of trading missions that explicitly make a profit if running a trading empire is your bag.

If you get a contact from one you can even set it up so you have a never ending source of trade missions.

This was my experience. Trading kinda sucks in that it'd get me by but it wasn't a great source of income unless I was running missions.

But doing that let me set up a few systems without too much effort.

It was the endless destruction of pirate bases in my systems that eventually made me put the game down because seriously for about a week straight all I was doing was going from owned system to owned system killing the same god damn pirate bases.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I gave this a shot. I love the idea. I am not poo pooing it at all, but I have to say this game is not for me.

I was unable to beat the tutorial fights on easy, and I went looking to see if I was fundamentally misunderstanding something. Generally the things I read were "you have to be willing to practice the combat and get good enough, or you'll never enjoy this game, as the game is pretty aggro in the early game and you'll always be outnumbered."

There's a bunch of muscle memory I just couldn't get the hang of, I just don't like the way the piloting and shooting feels. Cool concept, but not for me ultimately.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I bought and tried this for a bit year or two ago, but while the idea seemed nifty, gameplay and UI were not very user friendly.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I gave this a shot. I love the idea. I am not poo pooing it at all, but I have to say this game is not for me.

I was unable to beat the tutorial fights on easy, and I went looking to see if I was fundamentally misunderstanding something. Generally the things I read were "you have to be willing to practice the combat and get good enough, or you'll never enjoy this game, as the game is pretty aggro in the early game and you'll always be outnumbered."

There's a bunch of muscle memory I just couldn't get the hang of, I just don't like the way the piloting and shooting feels. Cool concept, but not for me ultimately.

There is a button to activate autopilot for the flagship. I've played this for probably close to 100 hours and I basically never control the fights manually.

• Options
    Vic wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

There is a button to activate autopilot for the flagship. I've played this for probably close to 100 hours and I basically never control the fights manually.

Yep. Me too.

I'm a dissaster when I pilot my flagship.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Just picked this up the other day and I have no idea what I'm doing! But I did beat the first pirate ship (on my second try) and reached a world which is offering me a mission.

I am also super sloppy with piloting, but reading the posts above me I guess autopilot isn't a bad route to go?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Autopilot is plenty competent. Of course that also means enemies are plenty competent too but if I want a space game where the AI has a 100% chance to make the stupidest possible decision at every opportunity, I'll play Stellaris.

That said there is the occasional niche loadout you may run into autopilot problems with.

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    Yeah, I always found the best builds for manual control were the gimmick ones - e.g. load up entirely on super-long range weapons and just poke from a distance. Or, my favourite but not the smartest, load a low-tech ship with a ton of short-range weapons and wait for the proper moment to burn drive in and wreck shit. Or get your shit wrecked. Fun either way!

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    Ianator wrote: »
    Just picked this up the other day and I have no idea what I'm doing! But I did beat the first pirate ship (on my second try) and reached a world which is offering me a mission.

I am also super sloppy with piloting, but reading the posts above me I guess autopilot isn't a bad route to go?

AI does a pretty good job and I'll often let it do mop-up duties for me or fly ships that do well with quick reflex toggles of abilities (phase skimmers and fortress shields come to mind). You as a player don't fly within the constraints of the AI and thus a hard enough push into a flank that the AI would be too cautious to do can be what turns the tide of battle into your favor, though on the other hand, I often find my player ship deaths are because I over-committed and didn't have the backup needed nearby.

If you can find a Hyperion, it is a blast to fly. The AI does a decent job with it but in the hands of the player it can easily turn the tide of battle. It's a frigate with cruiser level flux and hardpoint stats. Load it up with Safety Overrides and you can basically teleport at will to dash in, dump a bunch of ion and pure damage into the engines or weakpoints of an enemy ship then dash away before they can fix their guns on you. Frigates are really good this patch and with the right loadouts, skills and pilots can take on just about anything in the game short of 2 set piece battles and high level stations.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Thanks for the advice. I've found a few neato things while wandering around and doing odd jobs:

- I salvaged a XIV Legion battlecruiser! @m!ttens tipped me off in Steam chat that it can't stand up to other ships of its size due to lacking Large hardpoints, but I'll keep it stashed in this abandoned station I was told about until I need to go U.S.S. San Diego on some poor fool.
    - While exploring I came upon a volcano world with generous enough traits (ores and ruins) to get me a Class V Survey Data item! Is this the kind of world I should set up a colony on?

EDIT: Just read up a bit on colonies. I'll probably want to find something closer to the sector center with a variety of worlds.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Yeah. Your first world is preferably around 100 habitability. 75 is super great, but 125 or 150 will do if it's the only good one you can find near the inhabited center.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    My usual combat strategy is to fly the ship but set most of the weapons to autofire, reserving some things like certain large or cumbersome/niche weapons and/or missiles for manual control.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    I need to give this a try (vanilla) since it sounds like there have been some good changes since I last played.

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    Thanks for the advice. I've found a few neato things while wandering around and doing odd jobs:

- I salvaged a XIV Legion battlecruiser! "m!ttens" tipped me off in Steam chat that it can't stand up to other ships of its size due to lacking Large hardpoints, but I'll keep it stashed in this abandoned station I was told about until I need to go U.S.S. San Diego on some poor fool.
    - While exploring I came upon a volcano world with generous enough traits (ores and ruins) to get me a Class V Survey Data item! Is this the kind of world I should set up a colony on?

EDIT: Just read up a bit on colonies. I'll probably want to find something closer to the sector center with a variety of worlds.

Huh, I've been running one of those as my flagship and I've been doing pretty well with it.

One thing that is necessary is to get the upgrade that increases your ammo by 50% for energy/ballistic weapons so your main guns have 30 shots each instead of 20.

It is so sloooooow, though. I find it to be a good battlestation killer since it can shoot from long range and once it's close alpha strike with 4 4k damage torpedoes.

• Options
    So lots of stuff has happened after that last post:

- Found an even better system to settle down in! A volcanic, a barren and a Terran eccentric all orbiting a gas giant, right at the core. Cool!
    - Freaked out when the pirate invasion warning came up. Then they went splat against some NPC mercenaries.

Today's crisis is the colony's expenses. I was totally piefaced by my funds going from around 160k to zero at the turn of the month. Turns out there was a deficit in Supplies needed to meet my defense fleet's demand. The save is early enough in the month that I've offloaded a bunch of my own Supplies to see if that'll help, but I may have already sent my colony (colonies? I just settled the Volcanic and Barren worlds) into a financial death spiral. Or maybe I can just turn off the Patrol HQ for a while? I dunno, gonna figure that out today.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I didn't get Patrol HQ until I was well situated with 3 industries generating profit.

• Options
    I've got enough colonies where I produce everything all my colonies need. It's a nice feeling.

Maybe my next goal should be to look at the other faction's worlds that are producing more than me in certain industries and bomb them to hell so that I rule the galaxy's supply

• Options
    edited June 2021
    It worked! Dropping off those Supplies cut my monthly expenses about in half. I'm still losing money every month, but I didn't take as big a hit at the end of Nov 208 as I did in Oct.

I also blew up my first Pirate starbase! It put up quite a bit of resistance but everything worked out in the end.

Oh, where do I get new Administrators? There's apparently some kind of penalty for my character being assigned to more than two worlds.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    You can look for them on inhabited planets and stations in the Comm Directory where they'll sometimes appear as hireable freelancers, and you can sometimes find them on ships by exploring.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    If I had one game recommendation to give this would be the one. Love seeing new players discover it!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It worked! Dropping off those Supplies cut my monthly expenses about in half. I'm still losing money every month, but I didn't take as big a hit at the end of Nov 208 as I did in Oct.

I also blew up my first Pirate starbase! It put up quite a bit of resistance but everything worked out in the end.

Oh, where do I get new Administrators? There's apparently some kind of penalty for my character being assigned to more than two worlds.

you can also get a level up perk that lets you administer 3 without penalty

• Options
    Load help me, I'm looking at mods.

Also decided to try a new character in a smaller sector. My randomly picked portrait looks like the guy that'd be on the cover of a space Tropico game. I briefly considered taking the skill that buffs militarized civilian ships and blotting out the stars with an endless blanket of combat freighters.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Load help me, I'm looking at mods.

Also decided to try a new character in a smaller sector. My randomly picked portrait looks like the guy that'd be on the cover of a space Tropico game. I briefly considered taking the skill that buffs militarized civilian ships and blotting out the stars with an endless blanket of combat freighters.

Just something to keep in mind with skills is to look at their maximum effectiveness. The max recovery cost to get the full benefit for Auxiliary Support is 5 which is like 2 shuttles or 1 frigate. Anything bigger and you start getting a lower bonus (though I think people do use it to pretty good effect with a Venture in early game even with the reduced benefit). You also can't militarize your logistics ships (freighters/tankers) because they'll eat into your bonus. Having 10 combat freighters with Aux Support sounds cool until you realize that the bonus drops to less than 10% increase to range, hull points, etc. It's not *bad* per se, but is quite a bit less than initially imagined.

• Options
    Finally approaching my burnout point. But it was a helluva ride getting there, especially playing through the Galatia Academy plotline. (Do it. There's a super cool reward at the end.)

...Or maybe I just need to start adding mods. Terraforming tools might be nice, given I'm extremely picky about colony system candidates otherwise. And this faction that has ships from FTL looks neat! Oh, there's one with mechs! And and and

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Mods, at least the ship pack ones that I have tried, works very smoothly.

I really like the Diablo one, since it has a few populated systems halfway to the right side of the map. Nice refueling stations.

And the pure cargo version of the packs cargo ship is 2/3s of a colossus and a full mid tier tanker in one ship.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    Oh, one important thing to bear in mind

https://www.reddit.com/r/starsector/comments/curjh8/psa_modded_starsector_needs_manual_ram_adjustment/

forgive the reddit link but it explains it fairly well, essentially modding the game might (depend on how many mods you want) require you manually edit the allocation of RAM for the game, but it's not complicated.

• Options
    Gentleman I have conquered the doritos. The cost was about 20 combat ships. I had 4 ships left at the end.

Fair disclosure I reloaded about 5 times.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Ooh that's real neat. I might actually play with Hyperstorms on again once that gets added :P

• Options
    It looks real neat. I want this update.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options

Lol 2 of the games I'm playing currently both release big patches on the same day (Last Epoch is the other one, in case you're wondering)

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »
    I recently came upon this game thanks to this fellow on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acqpulP1hLo

My soul belongs to Stellaris currently, as it's my goto game to casually play while catching up on podcasts, but I'm intrigued enough by the depth this game offers to invest enough time to git gud at it.

Oh my goodness, this fucking content creator.

Endless Space. This. Effing Highfleet. I'm fucking DEAD. Thanks for the chortles. This is making my night.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Gave this game a try last night. So far, I like all the systems I'm seeing except combat. Granted it's still early, but it feels like the only combat "strategy" is to have overwhelming numbers. Active ship control is normally a player advantage, but here the AI is certainly better at balancing use of the various ship's systems/abilities than I am. And doesn't feel like it's pulling nearly the same aggro as I do either. And in a balanced engagement, the player's ability to coordinate better is normally where the advantage is. So I'm not sure why they so harshly limit ship orders. Made worse when the ships also apparently ignore new orders. I'm fine with letting the AI fight it out at the ship level if I could usefully coordinate things but it's just not working for me.

And I must be missing something about missiles because the extremely limited ammo, poor maneuverability, and all ships seeming to have point defense feels like a waste of points to even mount them. The only time they reliably reach their target is if the ship is overloaded, but the AI is generally really good at avoiding that unless they are nearly dead anyway.

So any tips for these things? Again it's early so there might be equipment I'm missing or perhaps I've misunderstood some game mechanics. Even if that tip is "don't engage in combat, dummy".

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.