As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Horizon Zero Dawn] Out now on PC and PS4!

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    That's pretty cool. The Ring of Metal being a stadium makes sense as well.

And yeah, they're not the first to condense a huge area down and won't be the last. Like AC Odyssey is mega ridiculous - I'm pretty sure from Macedonia down to Krete is a wee bit bigger than 16kmx16km.

It's just something video games have to do if they want to cover that land area for many different reasons.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    yeah, Thunderjaws are about the blasting and removing armor
    plus if there are other critters around you can shoot some corruption arrows at them

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Granted, I was on NG+ when I figured it out and had mostly the best gear and mods around, but I eventually learned Stormbirds are easy, Just get right under them, they don't move around much if they're not chasing after you so they become easier to hit too. Spam triple hardpoint arrows at its center mass, which is also that lightning gun and all you have to do is be ready for the lightning gun attacks and dodge them and the occasional dive attack. And since you're spamming arrows at the lightning gun, that eventually gets taken out too so that's one less attack you have to dodge. Other than dodging, you just don't need to run away from it like I used to.

I practiced this a lot at that lake SE of Meridian with a save point nearby. Farmed a lot of purple mods that way too.

You're fighting big robotic animals. That's a huge intimidation factor that makes you pause when you're just starting out. Once you get past that, the game gets a lot easier.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Also if you can light them on fire/freeze them they'll fall to the ground and you can fuck their shit up big time.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    There are few problems in the game that can't be solved by roping it to the ground and covering it in sticky grenades.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    looks like there is going to be a 2nd HZD comic, this one focused on Erend. Wiki says release will be 7/14

VoodooV on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    And since absolutely nobody nowhere seems to be talking about it, Horizon just got a PS5 patch unlocking the framerate. Like I only even knew when I booted up my PS5 and saw the notice that the game had been updated out of the blue.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Sweet. Maybe I'll go through ng+.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I just finished the dlc damn. I would do a new game plus but I kind of want to put some space between this and the new one

Also fuck incels and the requirements that a character be skinny or hot, but also alloy just looks weird and different in this new one beyond just the chubby cheeks. I’m going in without any info on the setting or story but is there like a big time gap between this one and the previous game? Cos she looks way different and it will take me a while to adjust after 80+ hours with the last game

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Do you mean Frozen Wilds? I didn’t notice her looking any different in that one, and there is no time difference as Frozen Wilds can be completed at any time during the main game.

As for the sequel I would guess there’s probably a few years difference but that’s just a guess.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Do you mean Frozen Wilds? I didn’t notice her looking any different in that one, and there is no time difference as Frozen Wilds can be completed at any time during the main game.

As for the sequel I would guess there’s probably a few years difference but that’s just a guess.

No in the footage of Forbidden West the character model is a bit different.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

No in the footage of Forbidden West the character model is a bit different.

To be fair, the character model was a bit weird in HZD too. Though a lot of it was how it was (not) animated

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I didn't really notice in the new footage. But I also don't really care if she's changed. Still looked close enough.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Yeah I really don’t care either, but it is a complaint from the more terrible parts of the gaming community.

• Options
    I think there was a mockup someone did to make fun of gamers where they made her smile and put makeup on her but I haven’t seen a whole lot of discourse on Forbidden West yet.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Yeah I really don’t care either, but it is a complaint from the more terrible parts of the gaming community.

The thing is the gamer gater crowd definitely has taken this up and gone nuts with it, but at the same time it is a distinctly different looking face, and because I just finished it, and have been seeing it for 80 hours, I’d be lying if my first response wasn’t “what’s wrong with her face why is it all different?”

Like her face was fine in HZD, and I’d grown attached to it. Like yeah in the grand scheme of things it’s nothing major, but it still bugs me

• Options
    The new Tomb Raider games had the same complaints, Lara’s face noticeably changes between each game.

It’s just something that happens. Developers try different things, get access to more resources, or just decide the original wasn’t what they wanted to continue with.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Eh I feel like yeah that’s true, but also that the face of Lara didn’t change nearly as much as this. And fundamentally yeah they can change it and I can also find the change kinda bad

Prohass on
  • Options
    Ok I went to check and it does look different but honestly it’s not that different.

Her cheeks are rounder and you can see more freckles on her face. That’s what they’re complaining about? Come on.

It’s also not really fair to compare a PS4 character model with a PS5 character model from a game that takes place some time after the first one.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I think there was a mockup someone did to make fun of gamers where they made her smile and put makeup on her but I haven’t seen a whole lot of discourse on Forbidden West yet.

No he did that to “improve” it and show how it should be. Then was rightly mocked for being an idiot.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    I mean this character model is also a ps4 character model cos it’s coming to ps4. Also I don’t want her face improved I just prefer the face in the original game to what I’ve seen in this game

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    TBH if it wasn’t for the incel Twitter crowd I wouldn’t have even noticed it was different. I only care about shooting robots.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    I wouldn't have noticed either. Freckles are cool anyway.

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    Eh I feel like yeah that’s true, but also that the face of Lara didn’t change nearly as much as this. And fundamentally yeah they can change it and I can also find the change kinda bad

Shepard changed pretty dramatically between ME1, 2, and 3.

Haters can fuck off.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    This just in: male gamers unreasonable in appearance hot takes about female character in video game.

Join us at 11 for: male gamers complain about non-male character agency.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    This just in: male gamers unreasonable in appearance hot takes about female character in video game.

Join us at 11 for: male gamers complain about non-male character agency.

This is why I don't call myself a gamer anymore.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I tried to stop referring to myself by words that end in -er, as I'm not defined by my hobbies.

So I'll say "I like to play games" instead of "I'm a gamer".

• Options
    I've never called myself a gamer. I just call myself a nerd.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I like to run, but I damn sure wouldn't call myself a runner.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    I call myself an erer.

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

Haters can fuck off.

for me this isnt a 1:1, first off this is a personal opinion, shepard looked better over time, whereas I dislike the look of this change. And also that was a character you could customise

my issue isnt with changing a face between games, its that i dont like the changes

but weve all kind of made our points here so im going to stop brining it up

• Options

Haters can fuck off.

for me this isnt a 1:1, first off this is a personal opinion, shepard looked better over time, whereas I dislike the look of this change. And also that was a character you could customise

my issue isnt with changing a face between games, its that i dont like the changes

It's not that the change is bad, the change just makes me go.....huh? Did Aloy have an allergic reaction to some food she ate? did she try drinking some of that machine blood?

• Options
    VoodooV wrote: »

Haters can fuck off.

It's not that the change is bad, the change just makes me go.....huh? Did Aloy have an allergic reaction to some food she ate? did she try drinking some of that machine blood?

She didn't know she wasn't supposed to drink antifreeze

the Focus didn't cover it

• Options
    Maybe she’s pregnant and it’s a plot point

Since motherhood is something of a theme with these games

First game and wild speculation for Forbidden West
    A big part of the first game was Aloy trying to find and connect with her mother(s), and maybe the prospect of becoming a mother drives her more in the second game because she wants to make sure there’s a future for her own child.

I do not really like this idea nor do I really think there’s more than 25% chance of it being a thing, in part because even a hint of Aloy as a sexual being is something I don’t think Guerrilla really wants to have in the game if the first one is anything to go on.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    60 fps? Well I should probably get around to playing this now huh?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    anoffday wrote: »

What are you waiting for?!

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I've watched a few teaser and gameplay vids of Forbidden West and I can't see any real difference between new/old Aloy. >.>

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »

What are you waiting for?!

My wife to get off the tv.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    I've watched a few teaser and gameplay vids of Forbidden West and I can't see any real difference between new/old Aloy. >.>

Yeah I went back and had a look, looks the same to me. I played the hell out of that game twice, all the content in it.

This discussion has been closed.