As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Football/Soccer] - Harry Kane - Goals: 267, Trophies: 0

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    No again, but secretly you think yes but don’t want to jinx it
    The best thing about this England team is how utterly lacking in the historical baggage they are compared to the fans/pundits/etc, who are largely composed of middle aged men who cried in 96. They're just like, I wasn't even born then? I love it

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yes, if “it” is absurd pre-tournament over-hyping of a team followed by under achievement
    Odds for the next world cup, apparently (Guardian blog).
    6-1: Brazil, France
    8-1: England
    10-1: Spain
    12-1: Argentina, Germany, Belgium
    16-1: Italy, Portugal, Netherlands
    40-1: Colombia, Uruguay

How Germany are on better odds than Italy after this tournament I don't know, and how Italy aren't rated above England is also a mystery.

• Options
    Yes, if “it” is absurd pre-tournament over-hyping of a team followed by under achievement
    Solar wrote: »
    The best thing about this England team is how utterly lacking in the historical baggage they are compared to the fans/pundits/etc, who are largely composed of middle aged men who cried in 96. They're just like, I wasn't even born then? I love it

I dunno if '96 is the touchstone so much as '90, for me at least. There was a bit more romance about the team in '90. Or then again '86, also important, a real grudge to nurse forever like any true football fan.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    No again, but secretly you think yes but don’t want to jinx it
    Bogart wrote: »

How Germany are on better odds than Italy after this tournament I don't know, and how Italy aren't rated above England is also a mystery.

Well odds aren't just on straight chances, they're also flexed around on the basis of what will pull rubes in?

• Options
    Hmmm I see. I've literally never placed a bet and in the dim recesses of my mind I imagined they had football scientists working on algorithms that sorted this stuff out.

Still, Italy seems like a very good bet right now.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Nein
    Solar wrote: »

Well odds aren't just on straight chances, they're also flexed around on the basis of what will pull rubes in?

But if you want to take the suckers’ money you put England at like 80-1 instead of 8-1

Edit: wait that’s way wrong, leaving it as a gift to Tav

Captain Inertia on
  • Options

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    he also picked him up. Twice. 1.87m vs 1.70m. Such a goof

honovere on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Nein
    Germany will be in a better place in 18 months. They’ll have Flick coming in (who was assistant manager during their last WC win and a proven winner with Bayern) and they just won the u21 Euros so there’s talent coming though

On the Italian front, I don’t know if we’ll get another tournament out of Chiellini and Bonucci which might be awful for them come next year

Belgium getting better odds than Italy is very funny tho

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    No
    I do not grok England having second best European Odds, assuming the odds aren't biased. Maybe if they win this tournament? But I don't think they're there yet.

• Options
    The Bunk disagrees.

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    The Copa America final is coming up in a couple of days with a superclasico match, Argentina vs Brazil. People are going to go crazy on both sides of the border.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Nein
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    The Copa America final is coming up in a couple of days with a superclasico match, Argentina vs Brazil. People are going to go crazy on both sides of the border.

I feel like a dope for not knowing this, on a scale of mildly-spicy chants to throwing urine on the field, where does this matchup rank in terms of fan engagement

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Hmmm I see. I've literally never placed a bet and in the dim recesses of my mind I imagined they had football scientists working on algorithms that sorted this stuff out.

Still, Italy seems like a very good bet right now.

Remember how the US was always ranked pretty high? Pepperidge Farms remembers!

• Options
    https://youtu.be/0KT_tE-lmaM

Absolutely amazing raps from the England '90 team that didn't make it into the final version of World in Motion. I almost can't tell if it's Beardsley or Bob Mortimer doing his Beardsley impression.

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular

I feel like a dope for not knowing this, on a scale of mildly-spicy chants to throwing urine on the field, where does this matchup rank in terms of fan engagement

Its going to be without audience, because covid is still a thing down here.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    Nein

Its going to be without audience, because covid is still a thing down here.

US/MEX should be fan free always pandemic or not

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    the thing about Italy is they may fall down but shortly thereafter they'll get right back up and keep going like nothing happened

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Nein

The Argentina - Colombia match was pretty spicy btw. 47 fouls, 10 yellow cards, and this glorious celebration from Emil Martinez

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/ofai43/argentinacolombia_martinez_celebration_after_a/

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Nein
    Let’s go red and white!

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    No
    Announcer observation: "Seems like this Denmark team is providing more a challenge than the Ukraine side during the quarter finals."

🤔

• Options
    Nein
    FUCKING HELL

• Options
    Nein
    Announcer observation: "Seems like this Denmark team is providing more a challenge than the Ukraine side during the quarter finals."

🤔

Apparenty!

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    No
    Wow, that was a pretty, pretty strike. No chance for the keeper.

• Options
    Ruh roh

• Options
    Nein
    Is that the first direct free kick goal of the tournament?

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    måååååååååååååååååååååål!!!

sig.gif
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Det kommer hjem?

• Options
    No
    Not going to lie, I'd hate to be the guy that has to lay down to prevent the low strike as the wall jumps.

• Options
    Nein
    this match is doing an absolute madness

• Options
    Fuck yes.

• Options
    No
    OH WOW

• Options
    Nein
    Hisssss

• Options
    Mr.WangtangMr.Wangtang Registered User regular
    Rumours of it not coming home may have been premature.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Saka is very good.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Own Goal is player of the tournament

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    England are getting some crazy good runs behind the line right now.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Nein
    Damn, this game is fun. Both semifinals in fact.

• Options
    Mr.WangtangMr.Wangtang Registered User regular
    Denmark hanging on for penalties.

• Options
    No
    wow, I'm just now realizing I have been holding my breath for 45 minutes.