Options

[Football/Soccer] - Harry Kane - Goals: 267, Trophies: 0

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    So the Canadian MLS teams appear to be closing in on being able to relocate back to Canada from exile in the USA. Notably, Canada is not going to let unvaccinated people cross the border.

So, Montreal had to trade Erik Hurtado to get rid of him because he wont get vaccinated:

:so_raven:
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    we don't want him what's the third option

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Nein
    i'm glad they just told him to pound sand and traded him instead of sticking up the dumb dumb

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Nein
    Well now he’s in my city goddamnit

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    i'm glad they just told him to pound sand and traded him instead of sticking up the dumb dumb

I mean, he literally wouldn't have been able to play any of their home games so getting rid of him is the best approach. He's an aging forward whose best ever season is 5 goals.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Nein
    Corvus wrote: »

I mean, he literally wouldn't have been able to play any of their home games so getting rid of him is the best approach. He's an aging forward whose best ever season is 5 goals.

oh yeah but also i'm jaded enough that if you said "the club was going to do something really stupid and expensive and bad for them for exactly zero benefit" i'd have gone "yeah checks out"

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Yes, if “it” is absurd pre-tournament over-hyping of a team followed by under achievement
    anyway the only Euros I care about is the Europa Conference League with the qualifying rounds kicking off tonight

we're playing Stjarnan of Iceland

we're in good form and have won 4 of our last 5 while they've lost 4 of their last 6. Obviously you can't really base much off form but it's probably the best we could have hoped for going into this

I have never liked FH Hafnarfjordur.
    Bunchapricks.

sig.gif
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Yes, if “it” is absurd pre-tournament over-hyping of a team followed by under achievement
    The best British exports take on the silly thing they actually care about...
    https://youtu.be/HZjJOzZo_kY

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Nein
    HerrCron wrote: »
    anyway the only Euros I care about is the Europa Conference League with the qualifying rounds kicking off tonight

we're playing Stjarnan of Iceland

we're in good form and have won 4 of our last 5 while they've lost 4 of their last 6. Obviously you can't really base much off form but it's probably the best we could have hoped for going into this

I have never liked FH Hafnarfjordur.
    Bunchapricks.

the stream provided by the Icelandic lads was absolutely unwatchable

they had those AI cameras except it wouldn't track the ball, just a flag the home fans were waving

also the commentator was in the stands with the fans instead of the press box so you couldn't hear him

it was a tenner for the stream and i'm still mad about it

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    ITV have got Matterface and Dixon back on commentary duties for Sunday, which feels like trolling. I might switch over at half time to see Keane scowl at something but that’s it.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    It's always worth checking out Keane when he's on pundit duty, just so you can say you were watching the day he finally snapped live on air and went on a studio wide rampage with the severed head of Mark Pougatch.

sig.gif
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Right, so. As a Pole, I am obviously in need of a team to support other than "flaming meteor and sinkhole 2021" for the finals.

England has... Everything but the team, if I'm honest. So that's a problem. (Laser pointers, you utter...)

Italy dives like Cousteau, and I still haven't forgiven them for that ridiculous World Cup final against France. (No, jackholes (What's Italian for "jackhole"?), it is not "strategic" to attempt to win by enraging your opponents into penalties. It's being a dick.)

I was hoping for Denmark, since hey, Denmark, but no such luck. So what's my least worst option, apart from a meteor knocking the entire stadium into an unexpectedly deep sinkhole that then fills with lava?

Edit: I will absolutely accept arguments based on utterly trivial details such as "shoe style". England currently is ahead due to "not being Italy" and having parts of their island with machines named "David Plowie".

dporowski on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    No
    My primary reason for anti-English support, ironic tribalism aside, is that if they win a major tournament I dread that moment someone drops the hot take of of how this all justifies Brexit.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    My primary reason for anti-English support, ironic tribalism aside, is that if they win a major tournament I dread that moment someone drops the hot take of of how this all justifies Brexit.

An Olympic medal would somehow justify Brexit.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    No again, but secretly you think yes but don’t want to jinx it
    I root for the place where I would most want to live if I had to move, so Gli Azzurri it is.

• Options
    Nein
    everything else aside (and that is a lot of things!!) i would like italy to win for spinazzola

after a great season he was on track to have a breakout tournament and propel his career into the limelight and it sucks seeing a bullshit injury curtail that

it was really great seeing all the italian players chant his name after the semi-final win against spain

• Options

I dunno if letting the dumbest take possible by someone whose opinion you don’t respect in the first place determine who you support is the way to go.

The vaccination program has been used to justify Brexit, that don’t mean I’m rooting against it.

• Options
    No
    Bogart wrote: »

I dunno if letting the dumbest take possible by someone whose opinion you don’t respect in the first place determine who you support is the way to go.

The vaccination program has been used to justify Brexit, that don’t mean I’m rooting against it.

I know they could get ammo for Brexit from stale porridge oats, I'd rather they not get something that could maybe fit in a gun. Not make it easy for them.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    For once the England team itself actually represents some of the best aspects of us. It's pitiful how rarely that's been the case in my lifetime, but Southgate and his squad have managed to do it. From charity work to taking the knee to (so far) keeping a very significant distance from certain politicians who shall remain unnamed here, these particular players and this particular manager are a credit to the decent part of what's left of this beleaguered country.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Nein
    Jazz wrote: »
    For once the England team itself actually represents some of the best aspects of us. It's pitiful how rarely that's been the case in my lifetime, but Southgate and his squad have managed to do it. From charity work to taking the knee to (so far) keeping a very significant distance from certain politicians who shall remain unnamed here, these particular players and this particular manager are a credit to the decent part of what's left of this beleaguered country.

i wrote about this earlier in chat but a bunch of the players are bad, actually

you've got Walker breaking covid rules to have an orgy the week his manager's mother died of covid, grealish breaching covid rules to go to a house party that he then drunk drove home causing a crash, John Stones stalking his ex, Pickford assaulting someone on a night out, Kane repeatedly and deliberately trying to injure opponent players, Maguire drunkenly attacking police officers in Greece and that's before you get to the less egregious stuff like Foden cheating on his missus when he had a young child at home literally the first time he got called up and TAA soliciting sex from a woman who was 7 months pregnant when she asked him for a shout-out for her boyfriend

there's like, 3 players who've gone above and beyond for charity and honestly it really feels like there's a massive PR push to capitalise on Rashford's image when he's barely played a half of football the entire tournament (which, as a United fan, I'm delighted with. He should have skipped the whole thing and gone for the surgery he desperately needs)

Southgate seems chill though

• Options
    Nein

issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the England manager Gareth Southgate. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

• Options
    I sit corrected, I guess

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Nein
    On a personal football note, you know you're having a good game when one of the opposition blatantly fouls you in front of the ref and accuses you of being a ringer from the first team.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    The England team is usually pretty silent and careful not to upset anyone, maybe uttering cliches in post match interviews, showing Hello round their house, or pleading not guilty on a charge of affray. And the tabloids either kick them and write racist articles about players like Sterling or use them as jingoistic avatars to push their xenophobia when they’re doing well.

Taking the knee, Rashford’s charity stuff and being vocal about tackling racism has made them more of a political target, so they’ve been getting boos (enough to make the Scotland team not take the knee and instead rather wimpishly settle for “standing” to display their commitment) and tons of shitty press from the shitty press. And that in turn has made them a political target for the left, who see an opportunity to hold them up as avatars of a more diverse and less xenophobic country and yes probably quietly ignore the drink driving and so forth if they can use the team as a stick to beat Johnson, the tabloids and push progressive ideas.

But still, they didn’t have to take the knee before every match. I’ve read more than one article from a person of colour talking about how important an example they think it is that they’ve done so, how it made them feel included and seen in a supporter’s culture that doesn’t usually make room for them.

That comment by Southgate sucks but I’m not gonna say it cancels out the good stuff he’s said and done. He’s not perfect.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    A national chain of steak houses has started to promote one of their entrees as "almost as cheap as a penalty at Wembley", in case you're wondering how we're holding up over here.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Jazz wrote: »

i wrote about this earlier in chat but a bunch of the players are bad, actually

you've got Walker breaking covid rules to have an orgy the week his manager's mother died of covid, grealish breaching covid rules to go to a house party that he then drunk drove home causing a crash, John Stones stalking his ex, Pickford assaulting someone on a night out, Kane repeatedly and deliberately trying to injure opponent players, Maguire drunkenly attacking police officers in Greece and that's before you get to the less egregious stuff like Foden cheating on his missus when he had a young child at home literally the first time he got called up and TAA soliciting sex from a woman who was 7 months pregnant when she asked him for a shout-out for her boyfriend

there's like, 3 players who've gone above and beyond for charity and honestly it really feels like there's a massive PR push to capitalise on Rashford's image when he's barely played a half of football the entire tournament (which, as a United fan, I'm delighted with. He should have skipped the whole thing and gone for the surgery he desperately needs)

Southgate seems chill though

I’ll give you that the Walker, Grealish, Foden, TAA stuff has slid from the collective consciousness far too easily, and does highlight a blindspot for bad behaviour when its accompanied by sporting achievement. Particularly Foden, which at the time had me incensed.

Maguire and Pickford I’m more inclined to pass off as unlucky, since people have been fighting on nights out since time immemorial. Maguire especially, since it sounded like particularly unsavoury set of circumstances.

The Southgate quote is unfortunate, and feeds into that whole ‘2 world wars and 1 world cup’ thing. Its not wholly untrue though, and that sentiment not unique to that fixture.

CaptainBeyond on
  • Options
    The inability to talk about Germany in a sporting context (or, often, any other context) without mentioning the war is frankly embarrassing.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The inability to talk about Germany in a sporting context (or, often, any other context) without mentioning the war is frankly embarrassing.
    We didn't start it, they did.
    (They invaded Poland)

Seriously though, I'm wondering which outcome will be more insufferable, winning or losing?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    I lasted about two minutes of watching Crouch’s show the other night, but I still appreciate him.

• Options
    Yeah I like Crouch as a person but I have not taken to his new thing as a presenter, feels a bit forced to me.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Pinched from facebook

215350013_10159394333122929_5562038099696633412_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=YtUWZ7YPOCoAX8teV4S&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.xx&oh=b46fc7925c3c801925adfd6222884356&oe=60EDB69A

CaptainBeyond on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Every England fan;

https://youtu.be/LbHuHjG8jyo

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I lasted about two minutes of watching Crouch’s show the other night, but I still appreciate him.

He is definitely good social media value

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Nein
    I will blame England for everything… for the next two days at least.
    Stubbed my toe this morning -> Englaaaaaaand!

• Options
    Nein
    I forgot the worse offence

Mason Mount has a cunty face

the pure air of Don’t You Know Who My Father Is

I’ve heard literally nothing negative about him as a person but he’s still the worst of the lot

• Options
    Nein
    David_T wrote: »
    A national chain of steak houses has started to promote one of their entrees as "almost as cheap as a penalty at Wembley", in case you're wondering how we're holding up over here.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Niet
    Football's being kidnapped in a van and is coming home whether it wants to or not.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    We didn't start it, they did.
    (They invaded Poland)

Seriously though, I'm wondering which outcome will be more insufferable, winning or losing?

Yes.

• Options

Presented without comment. Screenshot is from a British newspaper's website.

• Options
    No
    You know what could help the NHS?