As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics Thread] Government-running Cons accused of running cons in government

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    Hold on, the referenda questions for Alberta not only involve Equalization, but whether or not to re-introduce flouride into the water supply?

It's not already flouridated???

Edit: Okay, this is some Calgary-specific question thing.

Lest we use this as another reason to shit on Alberta (there's lots of other ones!) water in Vancouver and nearly everywhere in BC is not fluoridated at all. People generally don't seem to know this.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Hold on, the referenda questions for Alberta not only involve Equalization, but whether or not to re-introduce flouride into the water supply?

Lest we use this as another reason to shit on Alberta (there's lots of other ones!) water in Vancouver and nearly everywhere in BC is not fluoridated at all. People generally don't seem to know this.

Hippies going to do their thing

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    According to the canadian public health association, Alberta is actually doing better than everwhere except for Ontario:
    Province/Territory	Percentage of population with fluoridated water
    British Columbia	3.7%
    Alberta	74.7%
    Saskatchewan	36.8%
    Manitoba	69.9%
    Ontario	75.9%
    Quebec	6.4%
    New Brunswick	25.9%
    Nova Scotia	56.8%
    Prince Edward Island	23.7%
    Newfoundland/Labrador	1.5%
    Nunavut	0.0%
    Northwest Territories	56.4%
    Yukon	0.0%

Canada	45.1%

(those numbers are from 2007, so AB's percentage would have gone down when Calgary stopped fluoridating, but will be back up again soon). Looks like as of 2019 Quebec was down to 3%. Looks like Waterloo stopped in 2010, and Windsor stopped in 2013 and started again in 2018.

My favorite bit of the voting around here was that the "no" lawn signs said "Say No To Fluoridation Chemicals", because just having "Say No To Fluoride" wouldn't contain the scary word "chemicals", I guess?

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Huh, I didn't realize there was such a wide disparity in fluoridation. I kind of figured it was a universal thing. Today I learned.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    So HBC let the Zellers trademark lapse back in 2020. Move to about April 2021 and a small family in quebec snags the trademark and starts to use it. HBC now angrily filing suit, 8 months later.

You know what? Fuck 'em. Next time do your paperwork.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    So HBC let the Zellers trademark lapse back in 2020. Move to about April 2021 and a small family in quebec snags the trademark and starts to use it. HBC now angrily filing suit, 8 months later.

You know what? Fuck 'em. Next time do your paperwork.

This is interesting because it took a second article to let me know about how the trademark was left to lapse. The CBC article I initially read about this situation didn't explain that HBC let it go (accidentally or not), only that they claimed they were still planning on doing Zellers pop-up stores.

This sure seems like an "oh fuck" ass-covering by HBC then, if they really did intend to continue using the brand.

Characters
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I actually looked it up, they let it lapse 9/2020 and the family grabbed it 4/26/2021.

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Meanwhile, all Federal office employees have until the end of the month to provide proof of full vaccination.

What's the proof, you ask? They have to log into a web portal and check the "I am fully vaccinated" box. No QR code or proof of vaccination is required, nor is it even possible to provide it voluntarily if you wanted to. But don't worry, administrators are allowed to ask for proof from anyone who says they're vaccinated. You know, if they want to personally take charge of the vaccination validation process, face off against angry conspiracy nuts in person, and face the union's wrath if they take punitive actions against these employees.

A perfect, fool-proof, iron-clad system with no downsides nor possibilities for abuse.

I teach in a public school board in Ontario, IMO this is not as bad as you might think. Every day I have to click that I have completed the Covid-19 self-screening and have no symptoms...if I lied on it and the board found out I would be in huge trouble.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021

no flouride in vancouver :(

fucking sucks

edit - i see this was already discussed lol

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

fucking sucks

no we are still discussing fluoride! So before the election I was listening to CBC and they were talking to two people about the plebiscite on Fluoride. One person was for it and gave their reason why, the other person was not and they said. "fluoride is a chemical that hardens your teeth we dont want it in our water because it will harden our glands" or something very similar.

I dont know about you but i'm getting on in years and sometimes I could use some help to harden my gland. :D

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »

fucking sucks

no we are still discussing fluoride! So before the election I was listening to CBC and they were talking to two people about the plebiscite on Fluoride. One person was for it and gave their reason why, the other person was not and they said. "fluoride is a chemical that hardens your teeth we dont want it in our water because it will harden our glands" or something very similar.

I dont know about you but i'm getting on in years and sometimes I could use some help to harden my gland. :D

The "both sides are equal" approach of modern MSM news is toxic.

"For this debate on whether to add fluoride to water, we face off a scientist with well-documented evidence looking to inform you and a crazy conspiracy theorist making shit up on the fly to scare you. Both have equally valid points and deserve to be heard on equal footing."

sig.gif
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I might have mentioned this before some time ago, I hadn't realized that Calgary still hadn't reintroduced fluoride into the water, but a year? Or so? ago I read an article talking about how in Calgary there was a massive, like, orders of magnitude spike in cavity rates in kids under 5 that started.....about 5 years after they stopped fluoridating the water. Hm, isn't that interesting? And that city council was reconsidering putting fluoride back in the water as a result.

Who could have seen this coming? No one with any sense, surely.

EDIT: There was fluoride in the water when I was growing up, and in elementary school, every day, they would pass out these little packs of fluoride and you'd rinse your mouth out with it right there at your desk.

I don't have the greatest dental habits. I'm trying to get better, but for the majority of my life, I brush once a day, in the morning, and that's it. No flossing. I get shit from the dental hygienist about it every time I go. None of my friends up here in YK are from Calgary. They are from other parts of Canada, or other parts of the world, generally places that didn't have fluoride in the water. They have ALL had root canals, every single one of them.

I've never needed one.

Fluoride fucking works.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

On a discomforting note: we’re looking at the highest inflation that we’ve had in almost twenty years.
    Canada's inflation rate rose to a new 18-year high of 4.4 per cent in September, with higher prices for transportation, shelter and food contributing the most to the jump in the cost of living.

I’m going to be really curious about what my annual raise looks like. I think that anything less than 5% is basically a pay cut.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    pikkoropikkoro Registered User regular

fucking sucks

I remember being surprised about that when I moved here, but someone told me they don't because the water here naturally has enough fluoride.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    pikkoro wrote: »

fucking sucks

I remember being surprised about that when I moved here, but someone told me they don't because the water here naturally has enough fluoride.

alas no. the problem is that the west coast has natural granola eating idiots

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    On Monday the SCC will rule on the case opposing comedian Mike Ward with then-minor Jérémy Gabriel. This is a ruling I'm very much looking forward to. This case is very interesting because it pits one person's freedom of speech and right to artistic expression against another person (and a disabled child no less)'s right to dignity. I don't know how it's viewed in the ROC, but in Québec it's one people talk a lot about (insofar as we talk about ongoing SCC cases), it was even joked about in our end-of-year specials two years in a row (with two very different takes showing the line between the two different teams who ran the specials).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mike-ward-scc-jérémy-gabriel-1.6229032

I for one hope they rule for Gabriel. I believe we would live in a very unfair society if a celebrity can use their tribune to mock someone who cannot stand up for themselves, and profit from it while their target suffers harassment from their public. Freedom of speech is not freedom of consequences from speech, and in this case Ward argues for a world where he benefits from all the positive consequences and someone else suffers all the negative consequences. I'm completely against this bargain.

sig.gif
  • Options
    https://www.aptnnews.ca/national-news/indigenous-leaders-pan-quebec-values-course-for-not-being-inclusive/

Weird how both QC and AB are trying to pass garbage curriculums that puts white people on a pedestal.

• Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    On Monday the SCC will rule on the case opposing comedian Mike Ward with then-minor Jérémy Gabriel. This is a ruling I'm very much looking forward to. This case is very interesting because it pits one person's freedom of speech and right to artistic expression against another person (and a disabled child no less)'s right to dignity. I don't know how it's viewed in the ROC, but in Québec it's one people talk a lot about (insofar as we talk about ongoing SCC cases), it was even joked about in our end-of-year specials two years in a row (with two very different takes showing the line between the two different teams who ran the specials).

I for one hope they rule for Gabriel. I believe we would live in a very unfair society if a celebrity can use their tribune to mock someone who cannot stand up for themselves, and profit from it while their target suffers harassment from their public. Freedom of speech is not freedom of consequences from speech, and in this case Ward argues for a world where he benefits from all the positive consequences and someone else suffers all the negative consequences. I'm completely against this bargain.

Apparently not Monday. 5-4 for Ward.

A comedian who mocked a disabled child singer for years did not breach the limits of free speech guaranteed under Quebec's Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms, the Supreme Court of Canada has ruled.

In a 5-4 split decision, the top court ruled Friday that while comedian Mike Ward's act ridiculed Jérémy Gabriel, a young man with Treacher Collins Syndrome, he was not chosen as a target because of his disability, but rather because of his fame.

• Options
    SCC ruling is out early. And it went for Ward. Kinda.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/quebec-comedian-mike-ward-s-mockery-of-disabled-singer-not-discriminatory-supreme-court-1.5643517

In a 5-4 decision, they rule that Ward's comments targeted Gabriel because of his fame, not his disability, so they are not discriminatory. Moreover, since they were made by a comedian in a comedy show, a reasonable person would recognize them as jokes and not calls for action against Gabriel, and consequently Ward cannot be held responsible that some people did not heed them that way.

As a silver lining, they do note that while the case does not qualify as discrimination, Gabriel might have a recourse against harassment, but that would be a different lawsuit entirely.

So yeah. Not the ruling I was hoping for, but an interesting case nonetheless.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Not being familiar at all with the case outside of the CBC article linked, I can’t help but feel like the SCoC got this wrong.

Notably that the “comedian” targeted the child in a segment devoted to targeting people that others wouldn’t. Also unless he also took potshots at the other performers in the same competition, then by definition he selected the child as a target because of their age or disability, both of which are protected classes.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Not that I don't disagree that someone mocking the disabled is, morally, a piece of shit. But, I think I agree that the appropriate course of action here is that they have the right to say it, ultimately. They can be liable for boycotts, damages for harassment that may follow, etc, but being able to satirize people is also a key element of our culture. The child here may be particularly sympathetic, but someone like Jean Chretian could have abused such a ruling to stomp on satirizations of him too and send a chilling impact on societal and political critics.

Blarghy on
  • Options
    Blarghy wrote: »
    Not that I don't disagree that someone mocking the disabled is, morally, a piece of shit. But, I think I agree that the appropriate course of action here is that they have the right to say it, ultimately. They can be liable for boycotts, damages for harassment that may follow, etc, but being able to satirize people is also a key element of our culture. The child here may be particularly sympathetic, but someone like Jean Chretian could have abused such a ruling to stomp on satirizations of him too and send a chilling impact on societal and political critics.

Except all or at least most politicians are targeted by comedians and satirists because of the office they hold, which is not a protected class.

Essentially, if Jean Chrétien was the manager of the local Tim Hortons, no one would bother mocking him, even if he made national news somehow. Meanwhile the child here was targeted because of their young age or disability, as a way to single them out from the other contestants, which are both protected classes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Except all or at least most politicians are targeted by comedians and satirists because of the office they hold, which is not a protected class.

Essentially, if Jean Chrétien was the manager of the local Tim Hortons, no one would bother mocking him, even if he made national news somehow. Meanwhile the child here was targeted because of their young age or disability, as a way to single them out from the other contestants, which are both protected classes.

People make fun of random people on the news all the time. And I can guarantee you that fast-food restaurant managers get mocked behind their back by their staff constantly (and as general societal jokes too). It seems like the comedian would have no knowledge of this kid except via the child's celebrity (nor any reason to expect the joke to land if no one in the audience knew either)-- he didn't just randomly see him on the street and mock him for being a random disabled child. Again, the comedian sounds like an ass, but sometimes being an ass isn't illegal.

• Options
    Being an ass because of / about someone’s protected class very much is illegal.

It just doesn’t get enforced or prosecuted unless it’s egregious enough to warrant it to remind others that there are lines that polite society doesn’t cross.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yes, in polite society, if you don't like someone's haircut, or clothes, or singing, it's not polite to make fun of them. And, if that person is handicapped, it's especially impolite. That being said, you certainly can make fun of it if you don't care about being polite. Sometimes, you might have a noble goal of bringing the mighty down to earth and sometimes you might just be an ass.

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Municipal democracy done.
    Probably the worst voting experience of my life: including transportation, it took about 1 hour.
    Mostly because, for some reason, 90% of the voters for the 3 voting stations were all from the same station.

Also, because with the weird mix of fusion/defusion we have in Montréal, there's a lot of voting to do: 3 picks.
    Which is made worse by the fact that 90% of the voters were from the same station.
    It's statistically significant. I know. I had time to do the math. Because I was waiting.

In other news, Plante and Coderre are still neck and neck. Coderre actually had to at least move toward Plante's program. Holness has lost a lot of his shine, and is still a no-hoper.
    No idea if he is pulling voters from Plante or Coderre; Probably both.

• Options
    I didn't vote yet. Mostly because the weather is shit here this weekend and going out with a young child is complicated, so we'll catch the real voting day. Hopefully that day will be nice so she can play in the playground next to the polling station while we vote.

In Québec City, Savard still has a seemingly insurmountable lead at over 30%, while Marchand has tied the trash-radio-endorsed anti-public-transit Gosselin for second place at 22%, and the other two parties are not even worth mentioning. Gosselin's support seems frozen there, so I guess that's the precise proportion of alt-right in Québec City. Marchand's rise is quite impressive given that this is his first time running and he was a political unknown before this.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I don't miss municipal slate elections. Here the mayor and every councilperson are independent.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Anyone else catch that interview with Air Canada's CEO in which he answered a French reporter's question with, "Can you repeat that in English?" and answered why he hasn't been learning French with essentially, "Do you know how busy I am?" (I believe the exact quote was, "If you looked at my work schedule, you'd understand why")

It was surreal.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Anyone else catch that interview with Air Canada's CEO in which he answered a French reporter's question with, "Can you repeat that in English?" and answered why he hasn't been learning French with essentially, "Do you know how busy I am?" (I believe the exact quote was, "If you looked at my work schedule, you'd understand why")

It was surreal.

I've been hearing about it... let's just say his comments haven't gone unnoticed in the Québec political sphere. The CAQ couldn't have paid for better publicity for their "French is under threat and we need to save it" tour.

Air Canada execs are the assholes who fired hundreds of employees and forced the others to take pay cuts because of covid and obtained millions in taxpayer money from the government to stay afloat, then turned around and gave themselves millions of dollars in performance bonuses based on pre-covid company performance because "taking covid into account in our job performances would be unfair". Let me put it this way: this anti-French spiel does not make me think any less of them.

sig.gif
  • Options

It was surreal.

I've been hearing about it... let's just say his comments haven't gone unnoticed in the Québec political sphere. The CAQ couldn't have paid for better publicity for their "French is under threat and we need to save it" tour.

Air Canada execs are the assholes who fired hundreds of employees and forced the others to take pay cuts because of covid and obtained millions in taxpayer money from the government to stay afloat, then turned around and gave themselves millions of dollars in performance bonuses based on pre-covid company performance because "taking covid into account in our job performances would be unfair". Let me put it this way: this anti-French spiel does not make me think any less of them.

While its clearly bad PR, I'm not sure he's anti-French anymore than he is anti-Inuit. Just because you can't speak a language doesn't mean you're anti-that language.

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular

It was surreal.

While its clearly bad PR, I'm not sure he's anti-French anymore than he is anti-Inuit. Just because you can't speak a language doesn't mean you're anti-that language.

It is when you live in an area where it's still the majority language and impose your language to anyone who interact with you.

• Options

It was surreal.

I disagree. If you spend 14 years living in an Inuit community and don't bother learning their language because you're "too busy", I'd say yes, you are against that language.

sig.gif
  • Options

It was surreal.

I disagree. If you spend 14 years living in an Inuit community and don't bother learning their language because you're "too busy", I'd say yes, you are against that language.

We have many employees in our production facilities that have been with the company for 20+ years that speak neither English nor French.

If it’s not necessary for day to day life, people won’t go to the effort to learn a new language, unless they desire to in a recreational capacity.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Time for my quarterly plug of the PA Isolation Squad discord! The folks are sick of each other so they’re looking for more people to pick on.

Here’s the link! https://discord.gg/ngvsavdp

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options

It was surreal.

Weird. I deal with the french school board here and there are folks that have lived in Alberta for 20+ years and can't speak English.... Guess they hate English?

• Options
    Time for my quarterly plug of the PA Isolation Squad discord! The folks are sick of each other so they’re looking for more people to pick on.

Here’s the link! https://discord.gg/ngvsavdp

Gross.

• Options

It was surreal.

He's living in Montreal, which is probably the most English language friendly part of Quebec, and most likely does a lot of his work in the rest of Canada too. Air Canada is hardly just a Quebec centric company. It's an entirely reasonable thing that he can get by just speaking English and certainly has the resources for a translator when he needs it. While, again, it is certainly bad PR, I think a demand that all people in Quebec must speak French is just as unreasonable as demanding that a unilingual Punjabi-speaker must learn English in Vancouver. Yes, that unilingual person may be disadvantaged in certain things (just like not speaking French in Quebec is a disadvantage), but if he feels he can get by without learning English, then that's his decision -- not ours.

• Options

It was surreal.

He's living in Montreal, which is probably the most English language friendly part of Quebec, and most likely does a lot of his work in the rest of Canada too. Air Canada is hardly just a Quebec centric company. It's an entirely reasonable thing that he can get by just speaking English and certainly has the resources for a translator when he needs it. While, again, it is certainly bad PR, I think a demand that all people in Quebec must speak French is just as unreasonable as demanding that a unilingual Punjabi-speaker must learn English in Vancouver. Yes, that unilingual person may be disadvantaged in certain things (just like not speaking French in Quebec is a disadvantage), but if he feels he can get by without learning English, then that's his decision -- not ours.

But don't you know that unless you are fellating french culture at all times you hate QC?

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    If you can get by with not knowing a language then a lot of people will just not learn the language. Hell, the dude just might not be that good at languages. I have a friend who has spent the last ten years failing spectacularly at learning Czech. It is what it is.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!