As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Update your resume to get a new [Job] thread

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    We recently killed cinema by not watching The Last Duel in theaters.

Honestly I'm jealous that millennials got all the credit for that one. Gen X played our part too, were are our accolades? Forgotten again, history's middle child!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Flu jab get, tetanus jab get, and booster scheduled. Thought about going for the hat trick today but I didn't want to risk feeling like shit on Thanksgiving.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Honestly I'm jealous that millennials got all the credit for that one. Gen X played our part too, were are our accolades? Forgotten again, history's middle child!

Aren’t Gen Z the middle child now? I’m not even sure what the one after them is called.

Onion, belt etc.

Also, my petty but heartfelt annoyance is my boss messaging me in the middle of the night to remind me to set up a reminder so I remember to update a spreadsheet for the CTO every week with the automated test coverage by number of tests.

Like, a) do not remind me
    b) I never agreed to provide this number in the first place
    c) this number is pointless, we all agree it is pointless, it is a nonsense you might use to make a pretty, board-pleasing PowerPoint slide. Let us just agree to stop using it.
    d) all of the above is what I said when I was asked to provide this number months ago, and I was assured it would never be used for anything (which was obvious bollocks, even then)

Aaaaaargh.

Sorry. I hate paperwork, but even more I hate useless paperwork.

On the gripping hand, typing this out reminds me I need to update my quarterly goals before meeting aforesaid manager tomorrow, so thanks, gentle reader.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Oh! I forgot to post the results of me asking for a raise because I was so angry... the answer was:

"Expect at most a 5% increase Q1 if the Compensation Committee agrees a raise is within the scope of our contract with the client."

I'm looking for a new job out of spite.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Oh! I forgot to post the results of me asking for a raise because I was so angry... the answer was:

"Expect at most a 5% increase Q1 if the Compensation Committee agrees a raise is within the scope of our contract with the client."

Spite, nothing; that's IMO a perfectly reasonable and sensible response.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular

I think I speak for everyone here when I say

Fuck 'm.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I found a copy of the duelists on dvd in the dump bin at work
    I have no idea how it got there nor why did it end up where I could see it casually as I walked by

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Today classes are twenty minutes long due to it being the half-day before Thanksgiving Break.

So... I don't expect a whole lot of learning to go on (if even half of my students show up), so I am handing out test correction worksheets for the unit exam they did yesterday.

And then I'm just going to show them Eurovision music videos.

Because cultural education is important.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Fuck yeah, culture

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Oh hey, my one day a month in the office happened to fall on thanksgiving eve, so I’m sitting here in a mostly empty building because all the people who actually work on-site full time rightly fucked off for an early holiday.

Guess I’m spending the day reorganizing parts and tools and imaging computers.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Today classes are twenty minutes long due to it being the half-day before Thanksgiving Break.

So... I don't expect a whole lot of learning to go on (if even half of my students show up), so I am handing out test correction worksheets for the unit exam they did yesterday.

And then I'm just going to show them Eurovision music videos.

Because cultural education is important.

Moldova:

Finland:

Austria:

Russia:

Bonus Finland:

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I just had to 'Kindest regards' a reply

Motherfucker better take the hint or it's tyre iron time.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Waiting in the parking lot to take a drug test! 150% raise here I come!

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Oh no, someone sent a Happy Thanksgiving email to the whole office and now people are 'replying all'

Oh nooooooooooo

• Options
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Oh no, someone sent a Happy Thanksgiving email to the whole office and now people are 'replying all'

Oh nooooooooooo

God, same here. But with boomer memes.

Kill me now.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    That reminds me, it's because of you mofos that I started signing my client emails with "Regards" because it sounded better than "Thank you", especially when often the body of the email already had a thank you inside of it. I don't think I could bring myself to a "Kindest Regards" though.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    I like “Warmest regards,” because it clearly implies the fury of hell that I’m aiming for.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    That reminds me, it's because of you mofos that I started signing my client emails with "Regards" because it sounded better than "Thank you", especially when often the body of the email already had a thank you inside of it. I don't think I could bring myself to a "Kindest Regards" though.

Internal emails get “Thanks”, because everyone I talk to is either informal or doesn’t care about salutations as long as I send them their damn numbers.

Clients, clients get “Regards”

• Options
    My own fury has cooled significantly since my last post, largely due to being walked through setup in chat by a Comcast rep and discovering that I somehow managed to miss a step in creating and linking my new Xfinity ID.
    Which was not made at all clear, either in the process or how the login just refreshed over and over with no error message? But hey, it's up and running now. Just have to do a few things later this week, once I get the parts, and I should be on the new network and ready to cancel my old ISP.

In actual job stuff, I'm expecting a slow day but who knows?

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Wow, this big case, that had been delayed since last year and was set to go to trial next week, JUST settled

I am extremely fucking relieved, sheesh

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    European Culture Update:

I have gotten at least one class of seniors fully onboard with Eurovision.

The tradition endures.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    European Culture Update:

The tradition endures.

Or the cycle of abuse continues.

Choose your own terms, I guess.

• Options
    The clinic for my physical/drug test didn't have any appointments available, so I'm waiting as a walk in. Walked in 2 hours ago...

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    The clinic for my physical/drug test didn't have any appointments available, so I'm waiting as a walk in. Walked in 2 hours ago...

On company time, right?

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options

That asshole completely deserved a 'Kindest Regards', let me tell you.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

Now I am beginning to wonder how many folks I've unintentionally pissed off by using this as a sign-off in my e-mails.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

Now I am beginning to wonder how many folks I've unintentionally pissed off by using this as a sign-off in my e-mails.

It's this weird thing in this thread that I have never seen mentioned anywhere else and has never been an issue in the international businesses my partner or I have ever worked with/for.

• Options
    Could be that we're all just a bunch of passive-aggressive [censoreds].

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

All our pre-fab messages that we send to users for various things (oh you wanna do X? Go here, click that, done). All have "Sincerely" and I hate it. I protested adamantly. Everyone was confused, even after I thought I had perfectly summed up the issue. "How sincere can an automated reply be?" Nobody could answer! Still nobody wants to change it!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Radiation wrote: »

On company time, right?

Nah. This is to get the job. It's not a big deal for me since I had PTO and my boss let me take the day off, but I probably would have done it anyways, considering the pay increase this job is offering.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    European Culture Update:

The tradition endures.

Next up for World Culture exposure:

Miss Universe Costume Contest

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Don't teach the next generation to objectify women.

• Options

Oh shit son you're in trouble, you better head off to Mexico until this blows over

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Tox wrote: »

All our pre-fab messages that we send to users for various things (oh you wanna do X? Go here, click that, done). All have "Sincerely" and I hate it. I protested adamantly. Everyone was confused, even after I thought I had perfectly summed up the issue. "How sincere can an automated reply be?" Nobody could answer! Still nobody wants to change it!

Oh, that's one of those things I get, though. It doesn't mean anything, it's just a word you say at the signing off of a letter. It's decidedly old-fashioned, but it doesn't actually mean you're sincere about anything. It's like the old standard of starting a letter with "Dear [Hiring Manager]" which I have always loathed, but is there a better alternative for addressing a stranger? Is it OK to say "Hello [Hiring Manager]" now, because that sounds very casual to my 40-yr-old ears! Yet this person is not "dear" to me and cannot be, that's just the way we used to address all letters no matter whom they were sent to. At least I understand that this is just because of custom and not because of what the words actually mean.

It reminds me of the thing that sometimes causes Boomers to explode in uproar, when a young person says "no problem!" instead of "you're welcome!", the Boomer never really investigates why they are mad. Because, Madam or Lord Boomer, have you thought about what the words "You are welcome" mean when translated into a sentence in plain English? All the words are short hand, so the long version is, "I thank you for giving me this item or for your courtesy" and the response is "I offer what I have freely, you are welcome to it." Another shorthand for that second sentence is "no problem."

Anyway words are dumb, young kids please come up with a lot of ridiculous new ones so we can trash the old ones.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

You should smoke a bowl to pass the time

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    My coworker (not a boomer, just ~50+) still uses L.S. as a greeting. At least we pulled a fast one on him and a generic automated message we send out start with a more modern gender-neutral greeting.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Tenure and promotion get*

* Tenure in my case means I've been there long enough. I'm not faculty, so haven't, like, published anything. Or need to justify it in any way
    *Promotion has been approved, but I may not see pay raise for a while due to the way these things are handled. I was fully not expecting it, anyways. When it all goes through, I'll be making double what I was topping out at in the private sector

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Gone sign all my emails "Your Humble Servant"

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Aldo wrote: »
    My coworker (not a boomer, just ~50+) still uses L.S. as a greeting. At least we pulled a fast one on him and a generic automated message we send out start with a more modern gender-neutral greeting.

I had to look that up. That's cool but also wow, old school.

Edit: For clarity though, since no one speaks Latin anymore, they should just say "Greetings to the reader" which sounds nice.

Cambiata on
  • Options

You should smoke a bowl to pass the time

Apparently it wasn't a drug test, just a physical. So other than being sore from lifting a bunch of weights I wouldn't normally lift, I'm good.