As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kids/Parenting: It’s fine, everything is fine.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    urahonky wrote: »
    Hm. So my son has been recently talking about how he wants to sleep with his big sister because sometimes at night when he's alone he gets scared because he hears something "screaming" and he doesn't know what it is. He said it sounds like the tornado siren or something. He says it's localized at the window or something. It's very weird. I think it might be tinnitus since I also have the problem. I can only really hear it whenever I am at night and it's quiet... So I played a Youtube video that supposedly sounds like tinnitus and he said it sounds exactly like that.... For every sound they played lol. There was 10 different sounds and he did a thumbs up on each of them.

So I don't know if it's actually tinnitus or if he's just going through a heavy dream that he thinks someone is screaming out the window or something.

Does the window have a screen? With high winds in the right direction, I can get loud howling noises at my house sometimes. You know that sound howling sound you always here in movies on desolate landscapes? Sounds a lot like that.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Hm. So my son has been recently talking about how he wants to sleep with his big sister because sometimes at night when he's alone he gets scared because he hears something "screaming" and he doesn't know what it is. He said it sounds like the tornado siren or something. He says it's localized at the window or something. It's very weird. I think it might be tinnitus since I also have the problem. I can only really hear it whenever I am at night and it's quiet... So I played a Youtube video that supposedly sounds like tinnitus and he said it sounds exactly like that.... For every sound they played lol. There was 10 different sounds and he did a thumbs up on each of them.

So I don't know if it's actually tinnitus or if he's just going through a heavy dream that he thinks someone is screaming out the window or something.

Maybe you should have the doctor look in his ears, might be an infection.

This may be it, a partially blocked ear can cause temporary tinnitus. It's scary stuff even as a grown up. Last time it happened to me it was like there was constant windstorm according to my right ear.
    Hydrocortisone drops work really well if it's swollen, or a doctors assistant may need to clean out gunk.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So every morning, when my 3yo wakes up, she complains her throat hurts and her stomach hurts. However, this pain does not seem to incommodate her in any way: after she complains about it once she gets dressed and goes on about her day as if nothing was wrong. I suspect she may just be thirsty and hungry when waking up. She eats a solid breakfast (scrambled eggs, toast, yogurt) and doesn't complain about any pain.

So she may just be hungry, or she may have just integrated this complaint as part of her daily routine. Or there may be something seriously wrong with her? I don't think that's likely, but does anyone have a similar experience?

sig.gif
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    It might be something she just does. My 3 yr old threw up a couple of times about 2 months ago and for weeks after she would say she needs a bucket.

Do you keep a cup of water in her bed (obviously covered)? How is the humidity in your house? Maybe she's just extra dry.

It could also be drainage. If I have bad post nasal drip then I get a sore throat and upset stomach. It goes away about an hour after waking up.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Sometimes "my tummy hurts" means the child needs to poo. Sit them on the toilet after breakfast and see what happens.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    It's so difficult figuring out real medical complaints from habit. And worrying that they stop complaining because they just decided it was "normal."

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    How's the humidity in her room? Might just have a dry throat from winter dryness.

• Options
    I can't believe it. This was the best holiday at the kids' Grandma's house we've had in about two years. My son did not have a meltdown at all, and actually got along with everyone pretty much the whole time. I had talked to him in advance, saying "Just come to me and talk about things if you can't take it. We can go home if we need to [we drove two cars for this reason], but let's make it because we agreed to and not because you got in trouble." Plus his uncle was there, and he likes hanging out with him. I think those things, and carrying over a piece of pizza to allay his worries about having nothing he liked to eat helped out a lot. While he didn't go near the turkey, he tried the corn and yams, without us even suggesting it. He said both were "Okay. Not bad.", which is a pretty huge leap for him. We came home in a good mood and had a good bedtime routine, with not fuss for drama. And my daughter is sleeping over at grandma's, so we get to sleep in tomorrow morning.

I am truly thankful.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Yesterday, I took my daughter to get her second vaccine shot. Before going, I promised that if she was well behaved, we would stop and get a donut.

She gets the shot, made a small "ouch" face when the needle went in, then was all smiles and cheers right after. Like, I've never seen her react like that before. I asked her why she wasn't screaming and crying, and her response was:

"I guess it's because I'm six now daddy."

Indeed, the magical power of being six...or maybe it's the donuts. Who knows?

And the gratuitous photo...

mm34wbhwy3kj.jpg

We sat on that bench to eat our donuts and she proudly told every person going into the donut shop that she got her second vaccine shot and didn't cry at all.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Also, I made this for my wife's birthday!

https://objection.lol/objection/2278164

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    And.. bookmarked.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    dennis wrote: »
    I can't believe it. This was the best holiday at the kids' Grandma's house we've had in about two years. My son did not have a meltdown at all, and actually got along with everyone pretty much the whole time. I had talked to him in advance, saying "Just come to me and talk about things if you can't take it. We can go home if we need to [we drove two cars for this reason], but let's make it because we agreed to and not because you got in trouble." Plus his uncle was there, and he likes hanging out with him. I think those things, and carrying over a piece of pizza to allay his worries about having nothing he liked to eat helped out a lot. While he didn't go near the turkey, he tried the corn and yams, without us even suggesting it. He said both were "Okay. Not bad.", which is a pretty huge leap for him. We came home in a good mood and had a good bedtime routine, with not fuss for drama. And my daughter is sleeping over at grandma's, so we get to sleep in tomorrow morning.

I am truly thankful.

[Edit: I realized I left some context out. See below post for that and the rest will make much more sense.]

Follow-up: He came home from the trip saying everything went great.

The next day we were told to come pick him up because he was in close contact with someone at the overnight that tested positive. He's out until next Monday.

bwomp bwomp

So far he shows no signs of being infected, or if he is he's not having any bad symptoms. That's great, because that's my first concern. I'm the one staying in this house with him during quarantine. Hopefully, he will test negative on the PCR tomorrow, along with me since I'm taking it as well. As if I didn't have enough reason to want him to test negative, there's the whole payed-for trip to PAX Unplugged next Thursday.

bwom-

I think I broke my trombone.

dennis on
  • Options
    My 6 y.o. daughter to my mother-in-law: "Everybody makes lots of mistakes, Grandma. Especially when they're younger. So I'm surprised you're making so many now."

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    My 6 y.o. daughter to my mother-in-law: "Everybody makes lots of mistakes, Grandma. Especially when they're younger. So I'm surprised you're making so many now."

vicious

• Options
    edited December 2021

I am truly thankful.

The next day we were told to come pick him up because he was in close contact with someone at the overnight that tested positive. He's out until next Monday.

bwomp bwomp

So far he shows no signs of being infected, or if he is he's not having any bad symptoms. That's great, because that's my first concern. I'm the one staying in this house with him during quarantine. Hopefully, he will test negative on the PCR tomorrow, along with me since I'm taking it as well. As if I didn't have enough reason to want him to test negative, there's the whole payed-for trip to PAX Unplugged next Thursday.

bwom-

You know, I just realized I left out some crucial info.

So the week after Thanksgiving was a class trip overnight. Three days and two nights, two hours away from here at an environmental learning center. They stay in dorm rooms and they have various classes during the day. It's a Montessori school, so the entire upper elementary (grades 4-6, basically) went (including his section and the other one, which don't normally mix because of COVID precautions).

I was worried about the trip, as who knows if they'd have food fitting his limited palette (due to sensory issues from ASD/ADHD). Would he be bored? Because that's the worst torture from him and inability to cope with that can cause some real issues. Could he take the 2 hour bus trip with no electronic devices (gameboy)?

And yet, he wasn't worried about any of this. He was interested. He expressed no reticence towards going.

Now back to my info about him saying things went great (other than a couple of minor points) and then having to quarantine.

Lessons learned:
    1) Don't book an all-school trip the week after Thanksgiving during a pandemic (I realized it with horror a couple of weeks before)
    2) Doing rapid tests (as inaccurate as they can be) on students before they get on the bus to go is great. But maybe also do it when they get off the return bus? Because the kid tested positive the very next day some time before lunch. PCR tests generally take a day or two to get results, so I'm pretty sure he must have tested positive on a rapid test. If they had tested on return, all of these kids could have not returned to school until they had contact traced, thus avoiding exposure throughout the school. And we could have split our household before picking him up (mom and daughter packed up to Grandma's as soon as we found out.) I get that money is a factor here, but I would definitely have been willing to fork over the cost of the extra test. As it was, they sent us home with two rapid tests, plus used one that day on him.

dennis on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2021

Mine told my mother-in-law, "Mommy's phone plays a movie song when you call her."
    "Which one? Probably some stupid comic book shit."
    (dancing)"DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD...."

You are raising a much better supervillain than I am.

Hevach on
  • Options

I am truly thankful.

bwomp bwomp

bwom-

You know, I just realized I left out some crucial info.

So the week after Thanksgiving was a class trip overnight. Three days and two nights, two hours away from here at an environmental learning center. They stay in dorm rooms and they have various classes during the day. It's a Montessori school, so the entire upper elementary (grades 4-6, basically) went (including his section and the other one, which don't normally mix because of COVID precautions).

I was worried about the trip, as who knows if they'd have food fitting his limited palette (due to sensory issues from ASD/ADHD). Would he be bored? Because that's the worst torture from him and inability to cope with that can cause some real issues. Could he take the 2 hour bus trip with no electronic devices (gameboy)?

And yet, he wasn't worried about any of this. He was interested. He expressed no reticence towards going.

Now back to my info about him saying things went great (other than a couple of minor points) and then having to quarantine.

Lessons learned:
    1) Don't book an all-school trip the week after Thanksgiving during a pandemic (I realized it with horror a couple of weeks before)
    2) Doing rapid tests (as inaccurate as they can be) on students before they get on the bus to go is great. But maybe also do it when they get off the return bus? Because the kid tested positive the very next day some time before lunch. PCR tests generally take a day or two to get results, so I'm pretty sure he must have tested positive on a rapid test. If they had tested on return, all of these kids could have not returned to school until they had contact traced, thus avoiding exposure throughout the school. And we could have split our household before picking him up (mom and daughter packed up to Grandma's as soon as we found out.) I get that money is a factor here, but I would definitely have been willing to fork over the cost of the extra test. As it was, they sent us home with two rapid tests, plus used one that day on him.

The gripping conclusion:

Both our PCR (the less fallible ones) tests came back negative! He's going to school (on Monday) and I'm going to PAX!

Now I only have to worry that everything with him and his mom and sister won't go off the rails while I'm gone.

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    @urahonky your kids do tae kwon do right? My oldest loves it and my youngest is kinda meh about it comparatively but enjoying it enough. How do you feel about all the belt fees? The lower ones were relatively cheap but he's been talking to some of the first degree black belts like my daughter to test up, which is apparently $700. Another parent said that one of the other kids stopped coming while we were on a break for soccer after his guardians got into an argument with the master about money, and while this parent paid for her son to take the second degree exam, he biffed almost the whole thing. I think he's going to repeat some of it and try again but it has us reconsidering whether some of the students' advancements has been because they're ready vs the master has bills to pay. Does the place you go have the fee structure like that or is it just a flat monthly/session rate more like how kids sports leagues work?

• Options
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    @urahonky your kids do tae kwon do right? My oldest loves it and my youngest is kinda meh about it comparatively but enjoying it enough. How do you feel about all the belt fees? The lower ones were relatively cheap but he's been talking to some of the first degree black belts like my daughter to test up, which is apparently $700. Another parent said that one of the other kids stopped coming while we were on a break for soccer after his guardians got into an argument with the master about money, and while this parent paid for her son to take the second degree exam, he biffed almost the whole thing. I think he's going to repeat some of it and try again but it has us reconsidering whether some of the students' advancements has been because they're ready vs the master has bills to pay. Does the place you go have the fee structure like that or is it just a flat monthly/session rate more like how kids sports leagues work?

Yep I have both of my older kids in Taekwondo. It's pretty expensive. We pay $198.88 per month just for the classes. Classes are 45 minutes twice a week. My kids are both green belts so I don't know how much the more advanced belts are but when they take the promotion test it's $55 (and that includes the belt if they pass). I honestly think it's worth the money so far.

That reminds me. I've been paying for my YMCA membership since the pandemic started and haven't been there. I need to cancel it since it's $60 a month....

• Options
    For fuck's sake. My toddler has 100% regressed on potty training. She was doing really, really well when going pee but still refused to poop on the toilet. Opting for her underwear instead. Today we get a message from daycare and she's been apparently purposefully peeing in her underwear because she likes getting changed. WTF do we do?

• Options
    For fuck's sake. My toddler has 100% regressed on potty training. She was doing really, really well when going pee but still refused to poop on the toilet. Opting for her underwear instead. Today we get a message from daycare and she's been apparently purposefully peeing in her underwear because she likes getting changed. WTF do we do?

Be patient and start over again. It's so damned frustrating, but retraining is the best avenue to success. You could also try peer pressure ("See how the other kids don't pee in their pants") or maybe even putting her back in diapers if she doesn't like them.

My son was doing great, then regressed to pooping in his underwear for about 3 weeks. We started over and kept an eye on him. Now he's pretty much back on poop schedule in the toilet. The key was getting him to remember the feeling of pressure and recognizing not to push (I must have repeated that 100 times).

Good luck!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    And no matter how fucking annoying it is (AND IT IS), you have to let them see that it's not something you're going to be mad at them about. You're on the same team.

At least, that's how they should perceive it. In reality we all know they're the enemy.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Gilgaron wrote: »

That is an insane fee for a belt test. My wife and kids did tkd together for a while, and her black belt test fee was more expensive than the usual test fee but was still $150-200 or so. And that higher price was because she got a framed certificate after passing her test and they ordered a personalized custom cake from a good bakery nearby to serve after she passed.

Honestly, belt test fees in general are just... I took hapkido for years when I was in high school and our instructor would just walk over and hand you a belt when he felt you were qualified for it. There were no tests and no extra fees and he made a point of warning us off from any dojos that did charge testing fees. The place my wife and kids were going to did put a big spread of food and drinks out on belt test days, but it was still obviously a huge profit generator for them given how many people would be testing.

Ketar on
  • Options
    I did TKD back in the 80s and we only paid for classes, the gi, and a new belt. Those extra charges sound nuts!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    From some cursory searching online it looks like the centralized Taekwondo committee (or whatever) charges the school ~$70 to register a new black belt and if your school wants to get you a fancy certificate and/or custom embroidered belt it can cost up to around $150 for each of those things. So depending on the amount of swag a black belt test could cost up to around five hundo without raising any red flags (certification fee, certificate, belt, new gi, testing materials like boards and whatnot, any guest judges) but after that you should start asking questions about what all the extra money is for.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular

Be patient and avoid shaming them. Progress isn't linear at all with kids

:so_raven:
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    From some cursory searching online it looks like the centralized Taekwondo committee (or whatever) charges the school ~$70 to register a new black belt and if your school wants to get you a fancy certificate and/or custom embroidered belt it can cost up to around $150 for each of those things. So depending on the amount of swag a black belt test could cost up to around five hundo without raising any red flags (certification fee, certificate, belt, new gi, testing materials like boards and whatnot, any guest judges) but after that you should start asking questions about what all the extra money is for.

My wife got the fancy embroidered belt with her name on it, nice framed certificate, custom cake that probably cost $50-60 or so around here, and the total charge was still $200. $500 should absolutely be raising red flags.

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Yeah for her first degree it seemed more reasonable (but still high!) in that there was a new uniform and embroidered belt, certificate and all that, but this go around I think there are new pants but otherwise I think I'm going to call around to some other places to see how they structure fees and consider moving. Once she had her first black belt he tried to tell us there was some additional yearly fee the black belts paid but we just said no and have just been paying the $170 a month for both kids. But that was definitely what started to sour us on the whole thing.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    We lost our unborn child this tuesday. Early enough that it’s one of those things that happen out of statistics, probably the fetus wasn’t viable and this was biology working as it does. Had ultrasound planned exactly a week from now but should’ve had it about two weeks ago already, reproductive healthcare is struggling just like all healthcare now so it was delayed. No more info to be had. If you’ve had this happen you know how brutal the actual event is physically, I can’t go into it but it’s something I will carry with me. Sudden, brutal and merciless.

It is soul crushing, going between being functional and incapacitating grief several times per day. I’m trying to tell myself that the kid in all the future memories I’ve imagined wasn’t this pregnancy but maybe the next. But for right now it’s more like my partner and I are in those future memories and there is no child there. It’ll be okay in the future.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    I don't know what to say Honk. I'm really, truly sorry for your loss.

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    We lost our unborn child this tuesday. Early enough that it’s one of those things that happen out of statistics, probably the fetus wasn’t viable and this was biology working as it does. Had ultrasound planned exactly a week from now but should’ve had it about two weeks ago already, reproductive healthcare is struggling just like all healthcare now so it was delayed. No more info to be had. If you’ve had this happen you know how brutal the actual event is physically, I can’t go into it but it’s something I will carry with me. Sudden, brutal and merciless.

It is soul crushing, going between being functional and incapacitating grief several times per day. I’m trying to tell myself that the kid in all the future memories I’ve imagined wasn’t this pregnancy but maybe the next. But for right now it’s more like my partner and I are in those future memories and there is no child there. It’ll be okay in the future.
    Something my MIL said to me when we lost an early pregnancy was that it doesn't matter their age, or whether they were born yet - they were still your child. At the time I was kinda... Annoyed, I guess? Because I had convinced myself it was early enough that it didn't count so I shouldn't be unhappy. It took me a long time to process it and accept that it was 'okay' to mourn a loss like that.

Anyway, I'm sorry.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I'm so sorry, Honk.

I can think of things to try and say in an attempt to help but frankly it's hard to image a scenario where they aren't all bullshit.

I wish I could be there to just take you out to have a few drinks and shoot the shit and try to distract you from it for a bit even if it's in vain :(

• Options
    Fucking hell. My sister had a baby on October 11th and he was born with Tuberous Sclerosis Complex (TSC). Means he has masses on his brain that causes him to have seizures frequently. A few days ago they had to return to the NICU because he was having so many seizures that he was having a hard time breathing. So he's been in there since then. My sister had to quit her job full time and her husband is working less to keep her hopes up. I hate that we had to setup a GoFundMe for her because she has to care for her child... Fuck this world man.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Fucking hell. My sister had a baby on October 11th and he was born with Tuberous Sclerosis Complex (TSC). Means he has masses on his brain that causes him to have seizures frequently. A few days ago they had to return to the NICU because he was having so many seizures that he was having a hard time breathing. So he's been in there since then. My sister had to quit her job full time and her husband is working less to keep her hopes up. I hate that we had to setup a GoFundMe for her because she has to care for her child... Fuck this world man.

Have they looked at financial aid offered by the hospital? I realize that won't help with cost of living, but when Sapling had to have her surgery, the hospital covered everything insurance wouldn't because we were below a certain income.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »

Have they looked at financial aid offered by the hospital? I realize that won't help with cost of living, but when Sapling had to have her surgery, the hospital covered everything insurance wouldn't because we were below a certain income.

I think I'm going to have her talk to them. He's still having issues (he's on 5 different anti-seizure meds currently) so they haven't thought about the bill just yet. But I will absolutely have her talk to the hospital billing department.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

I think I'm going to have her talk to them. He's still having issues (he's on 5 different anti-seizure meds currently) so they haven't thought about the bill just yet. But I will absolutely have her talk to the hospital billing department.

Yeah, we ended up actually having to go through them a couple of times, because they typically approve it for a year (at least our local hospital), so when she was born and had to go to the NICU we filled it out, and then again for the surgery, and then I think each time we have to go back and see the speech therapist and the rest of the team, since they are always about a year apart. And its something you can fill out and send in before they actually send you the bill, and then you can just not worry about it.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options

What’s the GoFundMe link?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I debated posting it. I didn't mean to say it like I want people to donate but rather I never expected to have to have one for my own family member. Especially my sister.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/levi-michael-gabriel but there are some bonus pictures of the cute little man.

• Options

I debated posting it. I didn't mean to say it like I want people to donate but rather I never expected to have to have one for my own family member. Especially my sister.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/levi-michael-gabriel but there are some bonus pictures of the cute little man.

Donated and shared on Facebook. You're PA, so in my eyes you're family. Keep us updated on how things are going with them.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

Donated and shared on Facebook. You're PA, so in my eyes you're family. Keep us updated on how things are going with them.

Literally means the world. Thank you so much! I want my sister to be able to worry about her son and not finances in this time.