As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] United in Horror at All of This

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Dog always has crazy Gallywix games on yt, but this one from a couple of days ago is quite funny in the middle. Even though he has insane apm he can't finish his turns and gets kinda overwhelmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqfpk15X7ro

It's also interesting because the armor was actually relevant in that game. Armor definitely made me play more varied heroes to try it out, but in the end I found that it didn't help me enough.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    The one good thing they've done recently is the Tavern Pass. Its upped my F2P earned gold between expansions from ~80k to 120k, playing the same amount. I'm earning much more gold than I used to under the old challenge system. Which means more cards per expansion which theoretically means more fun as I can experiment with more decks.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I dont know why I'm always surprised that I get only trash legendaries from my packs. 120 packs:
    Caria Felsoul
    Wing Commander Mulverick
    Wildheart Guff
    Najak Hexxen
    Tamsin's Phylactery
    Dreadlich Tamsin
    Captain Galvanger

But did you want, Obi?

Its not a small list! I wanted any of these!:
    Korrak
    Brukan
    Cera'thine
    Shadowcrafter Scabbs
    Saidan
    Xyrella
    Cariel
    Tavish
    Kurtrus

ObiFett on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    The one good thing they've done recently is the Tavern Pass. Its upped my F2P earned gold between expansions from ~80k to 120k, playing the same amount. I'm earning much more gold than I used to under the old challenge system. Which means more cards per expansion which theoretically means more fun as I can experiment with more decks.
    Isn't the Tavern pass only a 20% XP buff (eventually)? I don't think the Tavern Pass alone would be accounting for you getting 50% more gold.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    hitting you all with bats for attempting to restart tavern pass math discourse

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    forty wrote: »
    Isn't the Tavern pass only a 20% XP buff (eventually)? I don't think the Tavern Pass alone would be accounting for you getting 50% more gold.

Its the rate at which gold is rewarded through the track. I would probably still be getting more gold without the pass, but with it, I'm getting much much more

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    Perhaps surprising no one the 9 mana “Cast 20 mana worth of mage spells at enemies” doesn’t actually do what it says on the card. What it actually does is cast random spells until the total cost exceeds 20 and targets enemies if the spell can.

Like why not just write what it does on the card?

seems kinda obvious to me that it would work like that

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Perhaps surprising no one the 9 mana “Cast 20 mana worth of mage spells at enemies” doesn’t actually do what it says on the card. What it actually does is cast random spells until the total cost exceeds 20 and targets enemies if the spell can.

Like why not just write what it does on the card?

seems kinda obvious to me that it would work like that

I think the thing you intuit from the wording is that it would only cast spells that can target enemies

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Only bought 18 packs with what gold I've earned. Really fell off playing in recent weeks for pretty obvious reasons.

And I somehow came away with Tavish, Dawngrasp, and Bearon? 1 out of every 6 is easily the most ridiculous return I've had on Legends-from-Packs in years.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    So, what's the new BS, no-brain deck to play in the early days of the new expansion?

• Options
    edited December 2021
    no-brain deck is probably Rez Priest

But there's also a Warlock OTK. I just did 112 damage ( 8 x 14 targeting enemies) in one turn. Its very dumb

ObiFett on
  • Options
    hitting you all with bats for attempting to restart tavern pass math discourse
    Tavern pass vs. no Tavern pass is actually a different discourse than what you're thinking of.

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    So that Druid deck where you just draw and then destroy the mana crystals and win unopposed is so fun to play against, so fun. Got one down to 4 health and then didn't get to play anymore.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Hearthstone's expansion dropped today and Legend of Runeterra's drops tomorrow. Clearly a good time to be a CCG player...and obvious the developers are getting things out the door in time to patch up any major bugs before the holidays. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

Its the rate at which gold is rewarded through the track. I would probably still be getting more gold without the pass, but with it, I'm getting much much more
    I suspect it's approximately 20% more, or really a little under. You'd probably be getting 10k and change (I figure you meant you earned about 12k with it) without it. The gold rewards along the track are a bit erratic, but if you're maxing out the track and hitting the "paragon gold" levels, the XP/gold rate is actually pretty steady over time, so the XP% increase roughly translates into gold% increase.

Basically, if you're playing enough to finish the track, the tavern pass can be thought of as increasing your gold income by some amount between 15-20% (since the 20% reward doesn't kick in until pretty far along the track). And of course the extra cosmetics and such, but we're just talking about the gold here.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    That Shaman hero card packs a punch. The hero power doesn't rotate reliably and it's possible the same OP power can show up twice in a row.

I opened 75 packs and got 4 legendaries, all duds. I'm going to make a Silence Priest deck just to use Najaq Hexxen out of spite.

• Options
    Best card art this expansion - Frostbite.

rmslmppyo45u.png

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    no-brain deck is probably Rez Priest

But there's also a Warlock OTK. I just did 112 damage ( 8 x 14 targeting enemies) in one turn. Its very dumb
    Ooh, I haven't played Warlock in a while. Would you mind linking a deck list/posting the deck code if you have a chance?

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    this owl warlock deck is kind of horseshit

durdle around healing and removing until you have the combo then go off and deal 112 damage from hand

it's everything i dislike about hearthstone distilled in a single deck: uninteractive mana cheating OTK

prediction: they nerf owl to only deal damage to minions

Beasteh on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Got Vanndar. Fuck that, man. So happy I don’t pay money for this game otherwise I’d be really mad.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Got Vanndar. Fuck that, man. So happy I don’t pay money for this game otherwise I’d be really mad.
    Wait, what's Vanndar? I thought that was the free Alliance legendary?

• Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »

durdle around healing and removing until you have the combo then go off and deal 112 damage from hand

it's everything i dislike about hearthstone distilled in a single deck: uninteractive mana cheating OTK

My first game of the expansion was to build a buff paladin with the new trogg to at least *try* to punish these spell slinging decks, and I matched up against an Owl-lock who still easily managed to kill my 6/7 divine shield Trogg I had put together on turn four. I've never seen the game feature less interaction than it has right now, frankly, and I think I'm just done with the game again. If I can't even manage to have a little fun on day 1 of a new set release it's just not gonna happen anytime soon.

Will probably pop in for some battlegrounds on occasion but they've totally lost the plot on what a standard environment should look like, and spell-based decks in Hearthstone are just laughably overpowered for the total lack of ability to stop anything they're doing. It's just an arms race to see which non-interactive deck can put together a win faster, or to try to find the one combination of minions and damage spells to just face rush them first. The latter is very unlikely to happen against current Warlock's suite of removal and healing, though.

• Options

Maybe just the golden version is free.

• Options
    Oh god, can you get Vanndar from a pack? What a waste.

• Options
    Yeah you'll eventually get the golden from the quest, but if you haven't finished the quest, as most people almost certainly wouldn't have, dupe protection isn't on for the starter leggos

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

I did Horde, eventually you get both by playing, but yeah…

sig.gif

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I'm going to make a Silence Priest deck just to use Najaq Hexxen out of spite.

I lost 4 games in a row but I DID IT! I nabbed a Rogue's gnoll and immediately silenced Hexxen so he couldn't get it back.

Great success.

• Options
    I just watched NoHandsGamer play his first game of Owl Warlock and he won by shuffling in like 7 Reliquary Primes instead of the Owl bomb extravaganza.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    i found it, the deck that beats owl lock

### Libram
    # Class: Paladin
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Gryphon
    #
    # 2x (1) Aldor Attendant
    # 2x (1) Irondeep Trogg
    # 2x (1) Knight of Anointment
    # 2x (2) Hand of A'dal
    # 2x (2) Libram of Wisdom
    # 2x (2) Noble Mount
    # 2x (3) Alliance Bannerman
    # 2x (3) Hold the Bridge
    # 1x (3) Saidan the Scarlet
    # 2x (3) Stonehearth Vindicator
    # 1x (4) Blademaster Samuro
    # 1x (4) Cariel Roame
    # 2x (5) Aldor Truthseeker
    # 2x (6) Devout Pupil
    # 1x (7) Lady Liadrin
    # 1x (7) Lightforged Cariel
    # 1x (8) Varian, King of Stormwind
    # 2x (9) Libram of Hope
    #
    AAECAcOfAwaEwQP76AOR7APZ+QPgiwTquAQM/bgD6rkD67kD7LkDysEDwNEDzOsD8PYDjfgD4aQE9KQE+aQEAA==
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Hard mull for Cariel hero, make a buffed trogg just before they go off

They have started running weapon removal because of this deck

Beasteh on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

I went in yesterday and played the owl warlock for a few hours...its not very consistant at all. Sure the deck might improve with some tuning, but several other decks are already stomping on it pretty hard. Pirate quest warrior is still pretty strong, Freeze Shaman is pretty strong but feels like some improvements could still be made to it.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    I'm content with the return of big minion decks across the board. I'm fighting a Demon Hunter now who using Ancient Void Hound.

• Options
    They have started running weapon removal because of this deck

The Immovable Object doesn't lose durability. What an OP weapon!

• Options
    Ooze doesn't care about that

• Options
    Alright, so I opened a few more packs nd got the following. This is all from Reward Track. No idea if these are any good, or if I'm just getting closer to good legendaries by opening the bad ones first:

Tasmin's Phylactery
    Ivus, The Forest Lord
    Cera'thine Fleetrunner

Also got E.T.C from a Standard pack.

No heroes from this expansion which is a bummer.

sig.gif

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I hate to say it but quest warlock actually got stronger. its even more fun to play now since it feels more solid. I've been killing immovable paladins for the last hour.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I'm having fun with a GO LARGE Paladin deck right now and am even running Vanndar because fuck the haters. A quick 3-1 with Quest Warrior and a Cariel/Librams deck being the two wins of the day so far.

Can't confirm I made that last opponent cry, but they did stack Samuro with a boatload of Cariel HPs and finally sent him over . . . right into the Reckoning I'd had sitting for a few rounds. :twisted:

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    quest warlock is just super degen now with tamsin + hand of gul'dan and backfire to turbo fatigue your opponent

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    First legendary from packs, cerathine. Random legendary from track, hexxen. Some @forty level of hearthstone luck there.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    First legendary from packs, cerathine. Random legendary from track, hexxen. Some @forty level of hearthstone luck there.
    Yuck, that's a brutal start.

I haven't opened packs yet. I'm debating if I want to try to do the Vanndar grind first to avoid one of the legendary land mines.

• Options
    the grind to acquire 7200 total honour, when you earn 10, 20, or 40 per game, requiring, in the fastest possible world, you to win 180 games against players who chose the opposite faction?

liEt3nH.png