Options

[Halo Infinite/SplitGate] Halo Infinite available now! Closed Spoilers for story

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Karl wrote: »
    Is it just me or are there Spartan Cores that don't seem to be on the open world map? That you can just stumble across?

There have been a few where I could have sworn they weren't an waypoint to check out and I just came across them during "happy warthog chain gun fun time driving".

You probably haven't recaptured the FOB that shows them on the map is all.

I'll get to it when I can. Saving squads takes priority.

Also anything that increases valor. I want the next unlock
    It's Heavy Assault marines. IE Marines with Battle Rifles.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Everytime I see this particular character smile I'm instantly reminded of this celebrity

Early game, after mission 2 (Not really a spoiler just being extra cautious)
    6wtlvqqmv3p6.jpeg

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Is it just me or are there Spartan Cores that don't seem to be on the open world map? That you can just stumble across?

There have been a few where I could have sworn they weren't an waypoint to check out and I just came across them during "happy warthog chain gun fun time driving".

You probably haven't recaptured the FOB that shows them on the map is all.

I'll get to it when I can. Saving squads takes priority.

Also anything that increases valor. I want the next unlock
    It's Heavy Assault marines. IE Marines with Battle Rifles.

Capturing FOBs should be priority since they show you where to find stuff and act as fast travel AND act as a safe place for marines to congregate if you're role playing the situation.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Honestly I think I'm almost to the end of the game and this is a halo ass halo, like if you're worried this is ubisoft style I'd say don't worry if anything the open world is literally just there as much as you want it to be, the actual "story" missions are pretty much 100% halo of old.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Ok this end section is super long I'll spoiler when you basically lock yourself into what I assume is the finish of the game.

After you collect the 4 fragments of code, you're basically all in on the end of the game.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I will say in single player all of the weapons have a place in your kit, like if you're desperate anything can get the job done, but man the unlocked sidekicker is the king of kings.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    My gosh you are fast, @Preacher . When do you sleep? Do you sleep? :lol:

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Syphon like typing detected... Someone else already finished I'm still not done!

And done, really enjoyable, only a couple "COME ON THATS BULLSHIT!!" But I only played on heroic, so I'm sure the real gamers took it on way higher.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Not entirely sure how close I am to the end, but as soon as you get the Wasp, you can go around doing the collect-a-thon of everything you've missed pretty easily. Like, I'd already gotten most things because that's the way I play, but it's really much better to just zip around in one of those and just get everything.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Drovek wrote: »
    Not entirely sure how close I am to the end, but as soon as you get the Wasp, you can go around doing the collect-a-thon of everything you've missed pretty easily. Like, I'd already gotten most things because that's the way I play, but it's really much better to just zip around in one of those and just get everything.

That is the section right before the end of the game. Like when you go into the next "story" area you've got a good 3 to 4 hours of gameplay and then you're done.

I will say I'm sure its because of more modern gameplay and stuff but this has been my favorite halo. I was worried with how the story was told at first it was going to play off the whole time, but I'll assure you the story actually makes sense at the end of the game without having to listen to a bunch of audio files.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    So I've heard the campaign is open world but not like, Ubisoft disgusting busy work open. It's got a clear through line you can follow and the world is just kinda there as optional funsies. Does that track or is it more of a busy work style game?

I'm not a Halo person but the reviews made this sound pretty fun just to go George of the Jungle around with a grapple wire while doing silly pew pews.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    So I've heard the campaign is open world but not like, Ubisoft disgusting busy work open. It's got a clear through line you can follow and the world is just kinda there as optional funsies. Does that track or is it more of a busy work style game?

I'm not a Halo person but the reviews made this sound pretty fun just to go George of the Jungle around with a grapple wire while doing silly pew pews.

Oh yeah, they found a really good balance about all of it.

I went about approaching a main mission from a weird direction yesterday, and found a little scene with an enemy sniper, a dead marine, and the sniper rifle of the deceased. In full view of the base I was about to assault.

Buy the grapple cooldown reducing upgrade ASAP, by the way. You can literally spider-man your way along, given the right environment, after you get that.

Dys on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I found a very silly easter egg near a Skull!
    It was located
    on top of the Tower you do the second mission on. I grapple hooked up it.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Preacher wrote: »

That is the section right before the end of the game. Like when you go into the next "story" area you've got a good 3 to 4 hours of gameplay and then you're done.

I will say I'm sure its because of more modern gameplay and stuff but this has been my favorite halo. I was worried with how the story was told at first it was going to play off the whole time, but I'll assure you the story actually makes sense at the end of the game without having to listen to a bunch of audio files.

Yeah I just finished this and I agree. This is probably my favourite halo, I mean I’m not really a rankings person, but I feel like it has the strongest gameplay, presentation, plot cohesion and character development/moments of the series. It’s definitely clear that they were aiming for something even more ambitious, and so there’s evidence of an even more amazing game that we didn’t quite get, which is disappointing, however what’s there is something you can easily argue is Halo perfected. While the plot is just as Halo as ever, it’s internally consistent and by the end I found that all my “lore” plot questions had been resolved, which never normally happens in a halo game. However more importantly, the character moments, the framework of the cast in the story, the focus on their emotional struggles and growth, is where it’s easily the strongest halo. It excels in giving a satisfying introduction, build up, conflict, then resolution and growth amongst everyone, which was very gratifying to watch. Also the enemy and marine chatter is the best it’s ever been, funny and dependent on what you’re doing, getting sassed by enemies for something you flubbed (like flipping a vehicle) is great

In technical and design terms the combat is best in class, everything feels superb and satisfying. Encounters are thrilling, crunchy, dynamic and just make me grin from ear to ear every time, thanks to stellar sound and animations on enemies. the encounter design is both expertly curated but also realises the potential of halos emergent kind of sandbox combat mix. They could’ve just dropped enemies into a big open world at random and it would’ve been one of the best shooters around, but they often go the extra mile to make sure they inject some sense of cinematic craft to encounters.

Graphics are pleasing and overall kind of reserved but consistent, but they’re very workman like, functional but nothing amazing. I think this is a consequence of being designed initially as a last gen game. It’s still a very pretty game, but it’s got nothing on recent next gen only showcases.

There’s lots of rough edges and small areas where things could’ve been pushed even harder, but what’s here is still phenomenal. The open world acts as away to give breathing room to the combat and make it shine in a way that feels like it can never go back, it feels like Halo always should’ve been this, the combat fits into the large environments like a glove, like it always belonged here. However the open system feels more like a way to give the player free roam for combat encounters, rather than something that feels lived in, a true open world with any kind of systemic open world thrills. but it works to tell it’s story and support the setting, with scenes of crashed human ships and fallen soldiers last stands, etc, kind of telling the settings story as you go from mission to mission. there’s just a sense you could see they wanted to add more, but had to cut back (I for one wanted more wildlife and more varied biomes)

The music is absolutely stunning. And the boss fights often feel very exciting and unique, although they will 100% be nightmare bullshit on legendary, on lower difficulty settings they work to give you a break from the sandbox combat and train you at specific moves or strategies.

I could list endlessly the small shortcomings, technical limitations, some of the interior levels feeling a bit repetitive and long (forge and coop especially being missing at launch is a massive bummer, no chapter selection, etc). And yet the overwhelming feeling when the credits rolled was one of pure shooter satisfaction and halo universe joy. As a long time halo fan it’s often hard to even nail down why I like this series so much, but Halo Infinite definitely feels like a 20 hour or so example of what Halo is and why I love it, and hints at what it could be going forward in very exciting ways. I came away feeling like this was a well crafted game that had the bones of a far more ambitious title, but rather than being upset at missing out on that potential, it’s just too fun and too good by the end to spend time lamenting what could have been. Very excited for the future based on this.

Prohass on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'm open to them actually doing that BotW styled game they had planned originally

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I'm open to them actually doing that BotW styled game they had planned originally

I’m curious if they’ll attempt to bolt it on to this one in the form of DLC expansions! It being called “Halo Infinite” made me think this game would be the platform for a good while

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind a stand alone game that maybe had more rpg elements where you get to pick your spartan/ai and then set out to aid master chief. It couldn't obviously be a main entry, but I don't see the harm in exploring an odst style spin off with a bit more player choice.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I wouldn't mind a stand alone game that maybe had more rpg elements where you get to pick your spartan/ai and then set out to aid master chief. It couldn't obviously be a main entry, but I don't see the harm in exploring an odst style spin off with a bit more player choice.

If they don’t want to do anything post endgame they could have it set during the initial battle for the ring against the Banished, and you’re a Spartan 4 maybe in a squad. But really anything would be cool

Prohass on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

There's always giving Spartan Ops from Halo 4 another go.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Honestly they would work way better here than in 4 and 5. You could make some minor changes to the world to set the scenario as being during the first days of the fight against the banished, and there could be a tonne of cool missions and objectives. Establishing and Defending FOBs, rescuing other Spartans, researching and countering the banished, etc. There’s tonnes of stuff in the audio logs that hint at all the activity.

With this gameplay and the open world, as well as the story setting, it would feel way more meaningful to have ops and like explore the open world with additional missions

Although I’m cool with whatever they do, be it more chief stuff or just nothing and focus on the next game or getting coop working

Also I really am an embarrassment to the master chief name. Altho this could be how you get new Spartans, by planting old ones in the ground

Prohass on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I can attest to the fact that on legendary some of the boss fights are brutal.

It’s not such a mind crush though, I feel like there is so much choice in how to handle them I’m never truly stuck.

• Options
    In case anyone wants to know the ultimate weekly this week for multi its 15 headshot kills in pvp.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Oh also like marvel movies there is a post credit stinger.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    In case anyone wants to know the ultimate weekly this week for multi its 15 headshot kills in pvp.

This weekly was pretty easy, thankfully. I really wanted to get back to the campaign

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    And finished. That certainly was an interesting story and characters...
    As always things keep escalating and escalating and now it's the biggest threat ever.

At least until Halo: Next where it's "you thought those fellas were powerful? Wait until you see these!"

...now I'm only missing one armory that I can't find for the life of me arghghghghghg.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    Still need 3 or 4 cindershot kills to get to the ultimate weekly, it'd be great if I could get more than two rounds in before there are "connection issues with the dedicated server".....

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Based on the little I've played and explored in the campaign I'd totally be down for them to just add on new areas, biomes, weapons, etc to this sandbox forever. Its so fun to play around in

ObiFett on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I see those new playlists as an absolute win, and honestly there was no reason to wait even this long. Maybe don't run "experiments" to see if people wanted the most popular modes to be playable at all times next time...

• Options

I am too, and I'm curious if this is going to cause a very critical look at mouse-and-keyboard vs controller accuracy balancing to happen.

It's not breaking my enjoyment to the degree that I want to quit, not at all. But every now and again the difference makes itself known, and tweaking that just the tiniest bit is something that would be rad.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    though I will likely play mostly Fiesta still

gimme that random party bologna

Dys on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Oh thank goodness. If I never play another oddball match it will be too soon.

Edit: I don’t hate the mode here and there, but when it’s a big percentage of the matches, it can get exhausting.

Darlan on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Beat the campaign

Story thoughts
    I haven’t played a Halo since Halo 2 so I left off at the Gravemind. Wikid what I missed.

The Cortana sendoff was good and the character beats with Weapon and Chief were pretty excellent. I actually got a little bit of the feels during the runup to the Harbinger fight.

Non story thoughts: Halo to me was somewhere between tactical and arcadey shooting, symmetric flat architecture, and vehicle combat being awesome. Also a ton of character in the rank and file baddies. I think this game delivered on all fronts easily.This is like Halo perfected and also feels just like how my brain remembers Halo 1 and 2, without looking back to prove myself wrong.

Swelling choral orchestration, beautiful environments, good gunplay, all boxes checked.

What I didnt enjoy as much was the Hunter fights and the bosses, but I’m also nigh on 2 decades from playing Halo so what feels like bullet spongey bullshit might just be a lack of knowledge on my part, so I’ll hold back judgment.

The credits are scrolling now and Im waiting for the post credit scene.

• Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular

I’d love this so much.

Give me Ghost Recon: Halo Wildlands please and thank you.

• Options
    Shamus wrote: »

I’d love this so much.

Yeah, gimme all of the generic PvE missions that I can take my multiplayer spartan on.

I would aggressively eat that shit up.

• Options
    Dys wrote: »
    Shamus wrote: »

I’d love this so much.

Yeah, gimme all of the generic PvE missions that I can take my multiplayer spartan on.

I would aggressively eat that shit up.

And they could introduce new biomes, etc so easily.

• Options
    Also, I love this Halo for the simple fact I found the Blind skull by accident. I wanted to see how well I could use the grappleshot from point a to point b.

First skull I found on my own without looking it up.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    And finished. That certainly was an interesting story and characters...
    As always things keep escalating and escalating and now it's the biggest threat ever.

At least until Halo: Next where it's "you thought those fellas were powerful? Wait until you see these!"

...now I'm only missing one armory that I can't find for the life of me arghghghghghg.

Eh it's a shooter, what can you do

I do appreciate what they put into the character arcs and beats, though. Good banter.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Beat the campaign

Story thoughts
    I haven’t played a Halo since Halo 2 so I left off at the Gravemind. Wikid what I missed.

The Cortana sendoff was good and the character beats with Weapon and Chief were pretty excellent. I actually got a little bit of the feels during the runup to the Harbinger fight.

Non story thoughts: Halo to me was somewhere between tactical and arcadey shooting, symmetric flat architecture, and vehicle combat being awesome. Also a ton of character in the rank and file baddies. I think this game delivered on all fronts easily.This is like Halo perfected and also feels just like how my brain remembers Halo 1 and 2, without looking back to prove myself wrong.

Swelling choral orchestration, beautiful environments, good gunplay, all boxes checked.

What I didnt enjoy as much was the Hunter fights and the bosses, but I’m also nigh on 2 decades from playing Halo so what feels like bullet spongey bullshit might just be a lack of knowledge on my part, so I’ll hold back judgment.

The credits are scrolling now and Im waiting for the post credit scene.

So hunters have always been insanely spongey unless you’re shooting the worms (the orange). Because the back armour comes off the it’s always been easier to deal with them in co-op. One thing I’ve found really useful for them in infinite (and it feels like there are more than usual) is that the skewer doesn’t seem to give a shit about the armour. They make mincemeat of them.