As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Chairem [Anime] Thread

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I read all of what was translated of keijo!!!!!!! awhile back and it's even drier in print

characters sitting down to talk about how to avoid CTE in their young athletes

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Yeah I've read the manga pretty much exclusively and it's just your standard battle shonen at the core.

The protagonist even has a super special move that was sealed away because it can harm the user, so she has to perfect it in order to make it relatively safe but also eventually make it hers compared to the original owner's variant. And what is this special move?
    Vacuum Ass Cannon.

It's not a fart joke.

Madican on
  • Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    Any anime thread/forum always has the absolute WORST taste about half of the time. I see people list of recommendations to people and just shake my head.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    My taste is good and your taste is bad, actually.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    asofyeun wrote: »
    I am here once again to recommend Odd Taxi

It is a really good anime set in a modern society that isn't focused on highschool. Great sense of humor I think.
    It's also incredible in drawing out "oh no!, Oh jeeze!" at the end of every episode. Good drama but not very comfy!

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    You people and your damn pervert anime

I'll just be over here with my wholesome super robots

1d9vt5qs8etq.gif

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    notya wrote: »
    Any anime thread/forum always has the absolute WORST taste about half of the time. I see people list of recommendations to people and just shake my head.

People generally have decent enough taste around here. Not always, but usually. And everyone has some trash show that they really like, but they usually acknowledge when that’s the case. Usually.

• Options
    yeah, like evangelion

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I see I was already beaten to it, but yeah my most recent show to recommend would definitely be Odd Taxi. It's a mostly tightly scripted, focused crime story that knows exactly what it wants to be, the rare anime that doesn't care about selling figurines or waifus or anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kdvfKp1EG0&t=1s

Not really that recent, but definitely a standout that doesn't get nearly enough general appreciation is Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, which starts a bit slow but is a smart, psychological story about a prickly, difficult old entertainer and the tragedy of his life, and also subtly explores a lot of stuff about like early Showa gender and sexual expression.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I couldn't find a satisfactory gif of Combattler V firing it's dick rocket

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I see I was already beaten to it, but yeah my most recent show to recommend would definitely be Odd Taxi. It's a mostly tightly scripted, focused crime story that knows exactly what it wants to be, the rare anime that doesn't care about selling figurines or waifus or anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kdvfKp1EG0&t=1s

Not really that recent, but definitely a standout that doesn't get nearly enough general appreciation is Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, which starts a bit slow but is a smart, psychological story about a prickly, difficult old entertainer and the tragedy of his life, and also subtly explores a lot of stuff about like early Showa gender and sexual expression.

Echoing this is as well. This is about as close to a Quentin Tarantino Crime film just minus the excessive sudden violence and feet fetish. Absolutely incredible character writing and plot development that weaves everything so tightly together it's incredible.

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

You see? This is what I'm talking about. People who are wrong just popping up nonstop.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    legend

of

the

galactic

heroes

whats the beginning of it called, like the name for the first season?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    I am perpetually baffled by Keijo's ability to evade this thread's immune system.

there's nothing anyone has talked about in regards to Keijo that would warrant a response

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    the general recommended watch order for LOGH is:

-My Conquest is the sea of stars and then overture to a new war a fleshed out version of the first two to four episodes of

-LOGH, a 110 episode OVA

you can watch the other stuff if you're interested but it's all ancillary

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

People generally have decent enough taste around here. Not always, but usually. And everyone has some trash show that they really like, but they usually acknowledge when that’s the case. Usually.

There's something neat about shows when they reach a certain level of fucked up. Not like the misogynist or slave harem fantasy fucked up. That's pretty pedestrian as far as anime goes. Things more like Wonder Egg or Back Arrow that went completely off the rails and raise meta questions about everybody and everything involved with them.

Like Taboo Tattoo is a terrible show, but everything about it is fascinating to me. JC Staff clearly though it would be the next Index and put a ton of money into its animation and action scenes, but it's clear that the writer at some point decided "BORED NOW" and it launches into an extended flashback arc only tangentially related to anything at all before returning to the present with a timeskip where we're all now at the Northern Crater fighting over Jenova for some reason before ending in no way whatsover. What the fuck happened with the production of this show? Multiple people clearly put a lot of effort into the creation of something that is plainly a disaster on all fronts, and THIS is what they ended up with? How? Why?

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    I hate it when
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »

There's something neat about shows when they reach a certain level of fucked up. Not like the misogynist or slave harem fantasy fucked up. That's pretty pedestrian as far as anime goes. Things more like Wonder Egg or Back Arrow that went completely off the rails and raise meta questions about everybody and everything involved with them.

Like Taboo Tattoo is a terrible show, but everything about it is fascinating to me. JC Staff clearly though it would be the next Index and put a ton of money into its animation and action scenes, but it's clear that the writer at some point decided "BORED NOW" and it launches into an extended flashback arc only tangentially related to anything at all before returning to the present with a timeskip where we're all now at the Northern Crater fighting over Jenova for some reason before ending in no way whatsover. What the fuck happened with the production of this show? Multiple people clearly put a lot of effort into the creation of something that is plainly a disaster on all fronts, and THIS is what they ended up with? How? Why?

It's secret code

Money-laundering scheme

Old men, running the world

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    KNY might be by the books but man does it have funny faces

Kimetsu no Yaiba: Yuukaku-hen Episode 1 Spoiler
    y6sj1qveh7ww.png

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    legend

of

the

galactic

heroes

legend of the galactic heroes is the name of the whole main series, but there's two short-ish movies you're supposed to start with:

my conquest is the sea of stars, a prequel movie that preceded the series, and
    overture to a new war, which was made while the OVA was still in progress and went back to retell the first couple episodes

i'd recommend just watching these movies and then starting with episode 1 of the OVA anyway

there's also some later OVAs, a movie based on a manga spinoff, and the recent anime remake, but i haven't seen any of em and they don't seem strictly necessary

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    legend

of

the

galactic

heroes

legend of the galactic heroes is the name of the whole main series, but there's two short-ish movies you're supposed to start with:

my conquest is the sea of stars, a prequel movie that preceded the series, and
    overture to a new war, which was made while the OVA was still in progress and went back to retell the first couple episodes

i'd recommend just watching these movies and then starting with episode 1 of the OVA anyway

there's also some later OVAs, a movie based on a manga spinoff, and the recent anime remake, but i haven't seen any of em and they don't seem strictly necessary

so the two movies, the 110 episode anime.. and where does the movie "golden wings" fit in?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    golden wings is the aforementioned manga spinoff movie

it's set before the events of the main show but has a different art style, writer, and voice cast, so i tend to not group it with the others

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    thank you! I've been meaning to check this out for a while now, it seemed really interesting

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    You people and your damn pervert anime

I'll just be over here with my wholesome super robots

1d9vt5qs8etq.gif

Not actually NSFW, but just in case:
    kja809dh2etm.gif

c96oy5uvo0oz.png

Same energy.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    thank you! I've been meaning to check this out for a while now, it seemed really interesting

its fucking radical. it's like anti-anime almost if that makes any sense

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    If you asked me if I would like to have stinger missles in my tidds I would say yes immediately please give me surface to air defense capabilities and an absolutely sweet pair of knockers at the same time.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Juggernut wrote: »
    If you asked me if I would like to have stinger missles in my tidds I would say yes immediately please give me surface to air defense capabilities and an absolutely sweet pair of knockers at the same time.

Not to mention abs of steel.

Vanessa_gif_01.gif

...with another missile in them.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus

haven’t said this in a while, but yknow. there are these pills you can take

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    A man bumps into me in line at Starbucks and does not apologize. I clap my ass and immediately two anti personnel mine launchers activate from under my arms firing a radial screen of steel shrapnel killing everyone within a 20 meter radius.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited December 2021

You see? This is what I'm talking about. People who are wrong just popping up nonstop.

I call this Lum's Law.

The internet gravitates to, and performs the most mental gymnastics for, the thirsty half naked ones.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Whippy wrote: »

Yeah but the waiting is the hard part.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Whippy wrote: »

gl7uvdh9c8aq.jpg

Symphogear AXZ spoilers:
    "Cagliostro and Prelati formerly had male bodies, but after they embraced the wisdom and ideals of Saint-Germain, she granted them the perfect body."

Watching this with my friend, when that character's backstory was explained, she just shouted out,
    "She just put them on HRT!?"

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Be the good you want to see in the world.

sig.gif
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Tonight on Animenagerie, Catarina keeps getting away with it.

Also Isaac taught us that Billy the Kidd fought alongside Cao Cao in the War of Three Kingdoms and killed billions!

Billions!

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

I usually describe LotGH as, "Its the anime Frasier & Niles Crane would watch."

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    LOGH is a novel adaptation like many other anime, it's justthat the novels in question are wonderfully dry medieval naval dramas what are in space

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Also! Tonight! In Tenchi Universe!

Ah the days before photosensitivity was a thing.

0s176ge1fngm.gif

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    LOTGH has a hard wall of like, the first ten episodes of which once you push through, you'll likely be able to get through all of it.

It's not that it's bad, it's just the huge payoffs that come later take a long time to set up.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

I feel like they wouldn't take anything fantasy or sci fi seriously, although it's been a while since I've actually watched an episode.

I would think more of things like...Monster, Perfect Blue...but those are probably still not dry enough. Maybe something more straight historical like Grave of the Fireflies.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    On the other hand if you like big ship of the line space battles backed by orchestral music you will be sold immediately.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Zonugal wrote: »

I feel like they wouldn't take anything fantasy or sci fi seriously, although it's been a while since I've actually watched an episode.

I would think more of things like...Monster, Perfect Blue...but those are probably still not dry enough. Maybe something more straight historical like Grave of the Fireflies.

LotGH is an anime with classical-orchestral music and Prussian political dynamics.

Its 100% a show the Crane boys would eat up.

Its also a show Marty would fucking hate

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
This discussion has been closed.