As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Secret Satans 2021 - PERFECT GIFTING COMPLETED!

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

yeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssss

p6qo8w2xmtek.jpg

dont even care that its askew and slightly off centre

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Huzza! Glad it finally made it! I've been switching all my underoos to Meundies over the past few years. They just feel so silky without being silk. Love em! Hope they make your butt look, and feel, amazing

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    damn it steam your flag!

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Cross-posted from G&T Secret Santa Thread!

Hey guys,

urp771zih9xj.gif

Right before we left to go visit family a package arrived on my doorstep! I finally had time to get it unboxed last night!

I forgot to get a pic of the box, but here's the contents!
    51758386972_45c758b2eb_c.jpg

51760073545_a52f2c633b_c.jpg

There was a gift for me, for my wife, and our five year old. He tore open his first.

A wild Pikachu appears! I had to bargain with my son to put this down so I could get a picture. He loves Pikachu and he's been carrying this thing everywhere. Thanks so much!
    51760080030_244c064625_c.jpg

My wife opened her presents next and found these awesome coins from Animal Crossing and Hades, her two most played games this year. I don't know what they're made of, but they are SOLID and heavy. Really cool!
    51761773036_2d41101345_c.jpg

51760940027_c495a70bf2_c.jpg

Finally, I opened mine. I saw a reference to a power supply and I was confused, but then I opened up the box and saw it's a Floppy EMU! I've been wanting one of these for a while to use on my Mac SE and Apple //c. Basically it's a box that you attach to the serial port and it emulates a floppy drive. So you use the screen to select a disc image that's on a micro SD card, then your Mac or Apple //c loads it just as if you had inserted a real floppy disk. Very useful for vintage computer stuff! Makes it so much easier to get programs onto these old machines. I set mine up for use on the Mac. I have no idea how my Santa knew I wanted one of these because I don't remember posting about it here!
    51761776601_1b26765c8f_c.jpg

51762426349_c815fa146c_c.jpg
    (made in Kid Pix which I loaded off the Floppy EMU).

So who was my Santa? Well luckily there was a card!

51760076495_47609f8099_c.jpg

51759868944_cb7f8c06b7_c.jpg

Many, Many thanks to @Lasbrook for your generous gifts! You knocked it out of the park! Merry Christmas!

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    damn it steam your flag!

jesus christ cant a girl just excitedly put up a flag she just received in the mail

ill get there eventually

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular

Finally, I opened mine. I saw a reference to a power supply and I was confused, but then I opened up the box and saw it's a Floppy EMU! I've been wanting one of these for a while to use on my Mac SE and Apple //c. Basically it's a box that you attach to the serial port and it emulates a floppy drive. So you use the screen to select a disc image that's on a micro SD card, then your Mac or Apple //c loads it just as if you had inserted a real floppy disk. Very useful for vintage computer stuff! Makes it so much easier to get programs onto these old machines. I set mine up for use on the Mac. I have no idea how my Santa knew I wanted one of these because I don't remember posting about it here!

Honestly I wasn't 100% sure you did want one so I'm glad my gambit paid off! I cyberstalked you pretty hard and it seemed like you were running your Macs fairly stock as far as I could tell and wasn't sure if you were trying to go for the authentic experience only or not. I knew the Floppy Emu was a thing and well none of the hard and floppy drives in these things are getting any younger. I'm pretty sure you can use it to image the hard drive in the machine for backup purposes as well.

Merry Christmas to y'all as well.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    WHOAH SANTA!

Package received and I'm blown away! Proper post coming later when I can do it properly! But know it arrived!

Edit: Santa, sorry, I spent too long tonight grading papers. I hope to get pictures and a proper post written up tomorrow.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    damn it steam your flag!

jesus christ cant a girl just excitedly put up a flag she just received in the mail

ill get there eventually

I have a Shikigami poster that was folded up in a strategy guide, which I have framed, and it still has those damn telltale crease marks. I'm not sure an iron can even fix that.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Got another gift and a Satan reveal:
    ehr9iok0yzzg.png

Thanks @Noggin for all the gifts :) Skye will appreciate the new bone on Christmas day.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    9DxtKmH.gif

SAAANNNNTAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, so I come home yesterday to two Amazon packages on my kitchen counter. I check my Amazon account and ask my wife about them. None were expected.
    o41bhJTl.jpg

Behold, WRAPPED GIFTS! My kids were immediately interested, but also confused about the whole "satan" thing.
    6QShIZvl.jpg

Let's begin with package the smaller. I'll take every 20 I can get!
    84di0k1l.jpg

What is this? Pieces of wood?! I'm going to need a castle at least... 3X as big! Oh, wait, it makes a beautiful and cool dice tower! It even comes with a tiny screwdriver and screws to hold it together more securely. Awesome stuff and will be great with the kids!
    csmvqzRl.jpg

Package number two! It's HEAVY.
    aPoHzYzl.jpg

I mean, santa is not wrong... I picked up a cheap RX-78-2 model. Loved it. So I picked up this RG Wing EW and have been working on it on and off for the past two+ months. Now I've just been using mini wire clippers and a utility knife.
    DeOa0QCl.jpg

WHOAH. This box is FULL of stuff. So much. So many tools. This is like everything I could possibly need to do any model making whatsoever!
    qqBvBCnl.jpg

I'm gonna put this in spoilers, but here's all the stuff:
    Nippers! Proper nippers to clip the pieces out.
    olQZzgKl.jpg

A battery powered rotary tool?!
    lRdPivBl.jpg

Every type of sanding and filing I could need to do? Metal files, nail files, sanding blocks, foam sanding blocks, I don't even know how to use all this but I'll find out!
    TOVq0zcl.jpg

Tools! Utility knife, exacto knife (and more blades!), 3 different tweezers (perfect timing for the stickers I need to apply to this RG model!), piece separator, screwdrivers and a metal ruler. Oh! And a hand drill!
    Nz3REGbl.jpg

A brush and panel lining marker
    lQIVAexl.jpg

And then to top it all off sheets of sandpaper and a work pad! (Not sure if it can be cut on? Or just more for a workspace pad?)
    txzFERel.jpg

Seriously, it's so much stuff! Thank you! I'm looking forward to really digging into it all for the next gunpla. Not sure yet what it will be, but it'll be much easier and more cleanly cut!

edit: Santa, it's already been so helpful! I used the tweezers today to apply some super tiny stickers. The tweezer caps even make for a good surface to rub the stickers down once I got them in place. X-acto knife was useful for stickers that didn't quite fit right and overhang edges.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    That looks like a self healing mat, so it should be safe to cut bits on.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Another package showed up in the middle of the day today.
    i33ssfrte4gy.jpg

As before, I sat and watched. I'm still not certain that these packages are even meant to come here, so the safe option is definitely to just wait a little bit and see if anyone comes to pick them up - maybe one of my neighbors will see it when they come home tonight. I'm always here, but I know not everyone has the option to just sit and watch the mail get delivered.

fra4fn5kdz3z.jpg

Once I was certain that nobody else was expecting it or wanted it, I was careful to cut into it without leaving any lasting marks. If the box was to believed, the contents here might be fragile, so I had to be even more cautious than before with unpacking everything such that it could be carefully repackaged again.

1rtg6iwrp7xp.jpg

A message.

Or perhaps a directive. A commandment.

4gmwdovp9yh3.jpg

I understood now, I knew what I had to do.

b4pi22w4gker.jpg

I knew that I had to delve.

m4b40ff4bdtb.jpg

Delve.

lo9m2u12c0km.jpg

DELVE.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Thanks to @Cello for the rad presents and terrifying mystery - she did half the work for me with this one

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Thanks to @Cello for the rad presents and terrifying mystery - she did half the work for me with this one

I'm glad you liked them!! @Grey Ghost also gets credit here - I had the concept of the gifts themselves and asked him to help fill in the blanks with lore, so he scripted all the written bits

The ration book and meat tokens were from some local curio sellers from Ottawa on Etsy - the token lady actually has a nice note I'll send a picture of to you later, describing that her grandfather owned a local general store and WW2 era ration tickets from those books could be traded in for meat, with the tokens given as change if you didn't use the whole thing (I figured they linked in a bit with the thought of rations used before the delve, but also wanted some light and less likely to break items that had a historical link to the area)

The shortbread I made with our family recipe we've baked since I could hold a spoon! Always a favourite

The coffee is from a local roaster called Little Victories, made specially for an extremely weird local coffee shop named CC's Corner Coffee and Curios that has, among other things on display, the "Richmond Mermaid", a fake shark behind the register, and well, looks like this
    32aph3d19jgq.jpg

704lwa9dgdud.jpg

1las8yx97xwf.jpg

(It rules)

The hot sauce is also my local favourite from Meow, That's Hot, and it goes well on pretty much everything!

And the last item was what I planned the whole gift around, an infinity mirror diorama! I took a shadowbox, applied two-way mirror film to the front glass and put a real mirror on the back, then hand-carved the cave out of foam, coated it in Plastidip and spray paint that had stone texturing, handpainted a bunch of highlights and lowlights, and used two LEDs to add the lighting that causes the infinity effect. It's particularly striking on a wall, as when you walk around it looks like someone drilled the thing through it! I've got a bunch of progress photos I'll post here once I've got an IG post of it on my project account.

You mentioned that you were open to art gifts and I wanted to do something unique with my skillset! And you'd have to be careful removing the foam, but I tried to make it modular so if you have other theme parties like you usually do for Halloween, you can pop another diorama in there. (Just watch the film on the inside of the front glass, as it could bubble or peel if you hit the edges - if that happens you can bug me for how to fix it, haha.)

Oh! And the photos I printed on my sister's HP Sprocket. Cute little machine! Good for making terrifying photo clues!

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I do not currently have it up for holiday reasons, but there is normally a mirror wall in my house with all (well, most of) the weird mirrors that I've acquired over the years of being a narcissist, so I'm looking forward to slipping it in there when I reassemble things.

And yes, I've tried the coffee and hot sauce and cookies all at this point and can vouch for their quality as well.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    It turns out when you stare into the void, the void is rad as hell

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I need to go to Canada specifically to visit that coffee shop.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Skeith wrote: »
    I need to go to Canada specifically to visit that coffee shop.

It's incredible! There's even a satanic pizza pop-up every month that sells three-day proofed pizzas, including flavours Pearpetual War and Pure Fucking Parmageddon

I somehow only discovered it while looking for local curios for the gift after it being here for several years and uh now I gotta be a regular I guess

Steam
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Man I have been so excited watching this one unfold/be crafted/be delivered

The raddest

Sorry to Psykoma who just gets normal-ass presents because I'm not clever or crafty, hahaha

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Man I have been so excited watching this one unfold/be crafted/be delivered

The raddest

Sorry to Psykoma who just gets normal-ass presents because I'm not clever or crafty, hahaha

Let me reiterate.

Lesbian.
    Necromancers.
    Exploring.
    Gothic.
    Palace.
    In Space.

That ain't normal-ass :pop:
    <3

Psykoma on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah, that mirror is dope as hell.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Anyone doing chains this year?

Nobody has yet, and (as the one who did them the last 1-2 years) I just didn’t have the mental gumption to make good looking ones with hyperlinks and reasonable formatting and everything this year.

You want a serviceable one that gets the job done? I can do that tonight. You want a pretty one that correctly archives the present posts? Somebody else, please.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »

Nobody has yet, and (as the one who did them the last 1-2 years) I just didn’t have the mental gumption to make good looking ones with hyperlinks and reasonable formatting and everything this year.

You want a serviceable one that gets the job done? I can do that tonight. You want a pretty one that correctly archives the present posts? Somebody else, please.

no prob, friend, take it easy this year - and thanks for all the help over the years, it's always fun to track everyone's gifts

if worse comes to worse I can cheat a little bit and post chains, but mine will remove some of the mystery

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    Perrsun wrote: »

no prob, friend, take it easy this year - and thanks for all the help over the years, it's always fun to track everyone's gifts

if worse comes to worse I can cheat a little bit and post chains, but mine will remove some of the mystery

Nah, I know some people want it to stay a mystery. I wouldn't vouch for that.

I just feel like... on one hand I've gotten USE out of having hyperlinked chains in the past, so I see the value in having it done right. And I like snooping through the posts and finding the links and seeing how the mystery chains grow. On the other hand, trying to format that stuff in the forum's text box when you've got a ton of text is just... not fun :P

POV: You are Perrsun in last year's thread:
    k1dtbpp7poki.png

• Options
    I hope my post didn't come across as entitled or ungrateful, I really appreciate the work you did over the last couple of years but it's definitely work and it's 100% ok to choose not to do unpaid work.

I would attempt it myself if I didn't relate super hard to your not having the mental gumption. The holidays are really hard this year for a lot of us, I think.

It's nice to follow chains and have convenient links to everyone's gift get posts, but they're not a deal breaker.

• Options
    I hope my post didn't come across as entitled or ungrateful, I really appreciate the work you did over the last couple of years but it's definitely work and it's 100% ok to choose not to do unpaid work.

I would attempt it myself if I didn't relate super hard to your not having the mental gumption. The holidays are really hard this year for a lot of us, I think.

It's nice to follow chains and have convenient links to everyone's gift get posts, but they're not a deal breaker.

Not at all and it’s a fair question. And I probably should have made the offer way earlier in the thread so we didn’t get 9 pages in before realizing there were no chains :P

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    wmahahahaah

i know allll the chaiinnnnssssss

and i'm not telling!

mwhahahahahahah

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Second package was dropped off for my Satan today, hopefully they recieved it and aren't out of town.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    I have mailed out my final attack. Let us hope for no packet loss!

Perrsun on
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Hey, did y'all know that @Lost Salient has real good taste?

If not, allow me to edify you

Package get!

26s75onafj9s.jpg

So many secrets to uncover!
    xfzhdnuy1ee2.jpg
    Up first:

A super damn pretty pin from The Quirky Collective, which I hadn't heard of before but have been checking their website and seen a lot of pretty stuffs
    sos4ynzg5n7b.jpg

A My Neighbour Totoro paper Theatre! I literally only watched MNT for the first time like a month ago, and am very excited to put it together. I've never actually seen a paper theatre product before
    sy6st5ce245w.jpg

Tim Tams! imma be real here, and admit that I've never had tim tams before. I'm looking forward to cracking these open ^_^
    na2dgv733jdm.jpg

Mint chocolate? Yo, mint is an exceptional addition to chocolate. Especially dark chocolate.
    50uz2ntubnfi.jpg

Another book! A very pretty looking boog. I will dive into this forthwith!
    vwhh52gss9l1.jpg

A tote bag! With extremely pretty designs!~ And a zipper! And a plethora, truly a multitude of hidden pockets! If there are more meanings to the designs, I'd always be up to know more, but I still love them.
    i7gkwiia3e9q.jpg

And last, but exceptionally not least.
    ccv9hvrmbdjp.jpg
    A sea lion. I'm pretty sure The Singapore Sea Lion. This dude. This dude is so incredibly cute, slicked back hair, cute and cuddly fin which lets it sit upright, and oh. my. god. that face. It's grumpy and cute and I am so in love with him already.

All together!
    wz268e0bighc.jpg

Y'all, @Lost Salient is really fuckin cool

Bonus content, cat inspection squad arrived, declares goods are satisfactory
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33d86oL-BQM

Psykoma on
  • Options
    That is a sweet haul!

Tony's Chocolonely is my favorite chocolate brand, for various reasons.

Also here is the correct way to eat a tim tam
    https://youtu.be/BHzMfZ1FaqA

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Yaaay victory!

I had to do some consults to see if Canada had Tim Tams readily available - I know they're not in the States. That's a seasonal flavour that I HAVE NOT TRIED but honestly they're all good (double coat is best but you can't get it here).

I am mildly heretical in that I prefer doing my slam with coffee but both are delicious options

You can also hold the cookie in your mouth, use it as a straw and then tip your head back and shotgun it to avoid choco fingers

Also the stuffy is Singapore's mascot animal - it's a merlion!
    The Merlion was first used in Singapore as the logo for the tourism board. Its name combines "mer", meaning the sea, and "lion". The fish body represents Singapore's origin as a fishing village when it was called Temasek, which means "sea town" in Javanese. The lion head represents Singapore's original name—Singapura—meaning "lion city" or "kota singa".

No special meaning behind the bag, it's by a local Indonesian artist who does really neat stuff. Their Instagram is here: https://www.instagram.com/somethingstokeep/

I hope you enjoy!

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Wait they don’t sell timtams in America anymore? Damnit, I never took enough advantage of that.

• Options
    My understanding is that you may find them occasionally at foreign markets, but my brother and my SIL (still in Austin) haven't had luck finding them there lately

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah I’m sure I could find them(and in more flavors) at world market but they used to just be at HEB. Your comment led me on a google search and if the creator of this change.org petition is to be believed there’s not been a distribution deal since an American equity firm bought Arnotts.

https://www.change.org/p/consumer-arnotts-com-bring-tim-tams-back-to-the-united-states

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Yeah I’m sure I could find them(and in more flavors) at world market but they used to just be at HEB. Your comment led me on a google search and if the creator of this change.org petition is to be believed there’s not been a distribution deal since an American equity firm bought Arnotts.

https://www.change.org/p/consumer-arnotts-com-bring-tim-tams-back-to-the-united-states

Well, at least we have one area of snack superiority.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Gotta agree, Lost Salient is cool

Steam
  • Options
    the tracking it tells me that someone is gonna get it...

TODAY!

• Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    G&T cross post:
    ZeroCow wrote: »
    Gifts have been received! My benefactor is currently mysterious, in their haste to procure transport for what I can only assume are ill-gotten goods, they did not have time for a note!

A mysterious box arrives!
    ugmq8fekgju8.jpg

I carefully extract the artifacts and set them before me on the floor.
    21xcq3glkwg6.jpg

A cookbook! I love cooking and the Elder Scrolls! A delightful combination!
    a93hsc3dhqcf.jpg

A coin from the Roman Empire! This is awesome! I love history and I love having an object that's been carried through the centuries!
    a44x6fmyd08l.jpg

For the sake of brevity and the fact I'm posting from my phone...tentacles and creatures with tentacles!
    v838ptas8e68.jpg
    d6ezthnkopyu.jpg

I think the big tentacle is a book holder?
    okdm90jiao6m.jpg

Thank you Santa! Please reveal yourself!

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
This discussion has been closed.