Options

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    the absolute pain of trying to get a mass outbreak of voltorb to spawn

mass outbreaks of growlithe/voltorb appear to be super ultra mega rare and if you're at all interested in getting shiny versions of either you should not pass up any outbreak you see

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Since Pokemon basically seem to replace all animals in the Pokemon world, it seems unavoidable that pokemon would fill both the role of pet, wild game, and domesticated farm animal.

Basically, you just have to not think too hard about it. The one time Pokemon itself attempted to even try to ask questions about it, Pokemon Black/White, they basically had to half-assedly back away from the issue because like, you either have to accept the idea that it's totally okay how Pokemon are treated in the Pokemon games... or else it becomes immensely messed up pretty quickly. Capturing wild animals to have them fight each other is kind of on the face of it not okay, so honestly anything outside is probably not as morally objectionable as the central premise of pokemon.

To be fair the games do seem to at least in the back of their minds know that "yeah this is messed up if you think about it too hard or try to make real world analogs" and so pretty consistently have a central value of each regions culture be "people have an obligation to treat pokemon they capture well." There's little mechanical incentive to do so, since friendship only affects a few things and is really easy to max out, but like at the series does in like theory discourage animal abuse. You just gotta accept that like 98% of people don't abuse pokemon, that like 98% of pokemon are totally okay with being yanked out of the wild and used to fight, or for labor, or food, etc.

Back when I spent time on a Pokemon MUSH, the collective take on the setting was that Pokemon, while not having human-level intellect in most cases, are at least cleverer than the average animal, while also still being subject to nature red in tooth and claw out in the wilds. The consequence being, they can see the value proposition in joining up with a human because a life spent in battle for sport is only a tiny step removed from what they had out in the wilds, with the added bonus that when you lose a fight, you get a rest and some medicine instead of being eaten alive.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Don’t normal animals exist, like in the show and art and flavor text for Pokemon in various games?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Don’t normal animals exist, like in the show and art and flavor text for Pokemon in various games?

Some Pokedex entries reference specific real animals, but I don't think there are any official visual depictions of Pokémon alongside non-Pokémon animals.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I've always thought pokemon would make way more sense as 2 different games. One is a science breeding discovery game with pokemon. The other is a battling game with people of various abilities and skills. The current incarnation is kind of weird if you look at it too close.

• Options
    It seems there's a maximum range for a Pokeball, beyond which it counts as any other dumb thrown object, which is annoying because my impulse is to see just how far I can hit my targets from.

On a related note: "I'll distract that Zubat with a Cheri Berry so I can catch it more easily!"
    donk
    !
    "Moving on..."

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    It's somewhat hilarious though.
    Threw a .. sky-ball at a flying Gyarados to hear a 'donk' and see the Gyrados stop and wobble up and down in the air.

It's somewhat less amusing donking an alpha with a berry, or a tree that you're taking cover behind with a Pokeball.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    And yeah, the rice-cake lures do seem to work far better than Oran berries for catching alphas.
    I'll have to go back to town at some point :/

discrider on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    discrider wrote: »
    It's somewhat hilarious though.
    Threw a .. sky-ball at a flying Gyarados to hear a 'donk' and see the Gyrados stop and wobble up and down in the air.

It's somewhat less amusing donking an alpha with a berry, or a tree that you're taking cover behind with a Pokeball.

I saw a let's play where someone caught that with a normal pokeball and I am still like, how? (I seriously tried for SO long)
    And yeah, the rice-cake lures do seem to work far better than Oran berries for catching alphas.
    I'll have to go back to town at some point :/

Yeah, I've noticed the pokemon seem to get more "distracted" when eating prepared food like that. I think if you throw one of their favorite foods it also works better than other food that they will still eat (ex: they might eat an Oran Berry but if you throw, say, a Mushroom they'll sit there longer eating it and their catch rate will turn more yellow)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Whenabouts do you actually get access to the hairdresser? I'm in the second area and being a short-haired blonde is beginning to chafe.

• Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    Whenabouts do you actually get access to the hairdresser? I'm in the second area and being a short-haired blonde is beginning to chafe.

The start of the game?
    I've not left the first area though, so I don't know if the range becomes any more varied later on.
    It's pretty much just the same options as character gen.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »

The start of the game?
    I've not left the first area though, so I don't know if the range becomes any more varied later on.
    It's pretty much just the same options as character gen.

Theres quests to upgrade all the shops as you progress the story and the girl with tights in the edo period joins the barbershop

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I swear I'd talked to Edith multiple times and she always just had the same line about a change of style making you like a new person without actually offering to make a change. Oh well, I look correct now.

Aaaand you can update the profile pic on the save screen, at all. The hell? :lol:

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

Some Pokedex entries reference specific real animals, but I don't think there are any official visual depictions of Pokémon alongside non-Pokémon animals.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Animals_in_the_Pokémon_world

There are lots of examples, but usually with animal-adjacent critters like bugs. In the games, Attack Order from Vespiquen attacks with actual bees and not Combees. Old amber's artwork depicts it with a mosquito inside (like Jurassic Park). Little yellow birds circle around pokemons' heads when they're confused. And normal butterflies appear in the background sometimes (not Butterfrees etc.).

There are more examples in other media like the anime, including Ash wearing a cow costume (not a Miltank), a picture book showing an actual normal dog, a Pidgey eating a normal worm, etc.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The franchise has been slowly retconning itself over the decades, but real things; animals, countries, historic events etc. still creep in from time to time.

• Options
    edited February 2022

So yeah, this has been retconned. The original concept for Pokemon was that they were evolutions of normal animals and things and the game was taking place basically in the real world (this is explicitly called out in the Japan-only official pokedex book for Red & Green - Did You Know Gaming has some great videos translating this and going over all the entries). This is why the original anime seasons reference things like Paris and Hollywood and show a lot of real-world animals. At some point they just decided that nah, there are no real animals, everything is pokemon.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Whoever thought this Thundrus encounter was a good idea needs to be punched in the gut repeatedly. I got the other two relatively painlessly, but I didn't have to do those while riding Basculegion.

• Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Whoever thought this Thundrus encounter was a good idea needs to be punched in the gut repeatedly. I got the other two relatively painlessly, but I didn't have to do those while riding Basculegion.

I died so many times to this. It's not only that but they also put him literally in the middle of a pool of Gyarados too.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

So yeah, this has been retconned. The original concept for Pokemon was that they were evolutions of normal animals and things and the game was taking place basically in the real world (this is explicitly called out in the Japan-only official pokedex book for Red & Green - Did You Know Gaming has some great videos translating this and going over all the entries). This is why the original anime seasons reference things like Paris and Hollywood and show a lot of real-world animals. At some point they just decided that nah, there are no real animals, everything is pokemon.

Yeah, and it's still happening. Raichu and Gastly have Pokedex entries from older games (FireRed specifically I think?) that call out Indian elephants. The Legends Pokedex entry for Raichu mentions a Copperajah in the same context as the FireRed entry instead.

• Options
    I did my games for the shiny Articuno expecting to lose but instead went 4-0. I guess that's cool. Was kind of annoyed I couldn't use a rental team. But I had a team from season like 2 that I could use.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    How do you make money in Pokemon Pearl? My son is at the Elite Four but is out of money due to losing to them about a dozen times. Now he doesn't have any money for potions and stuff to help him in the fight.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    How do you make money in Pokemon Pearl? My son is at the Elite Four but is out of money due to losing to them about a dozen times. Now he doesn't have any money for potions and stuff to help him in the fight.

I haven’t played it but I think there’s some mining feature? An underground area?

• Options

I haven’t played it but I think there’s some mining feature? An underground area?

Yeah those things sell for ~100 a piece :(

• Options

Yeah those things sell for ~100 a piece :(

I’m reading something about a battle mansion, but that might be after the four.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    https://www.thegamer.com/pokemon-brilliant-diamond-shining-pearl-money-farming-tips/

@urahonky

Tl;dr use the Vs Seeker to rerun battles with easy opponents who give lots of cash

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    I remember when I was little I just kept slamming my dudes against the elite 4 without using potions and took the loss when I ran out of steam. The elite 4 gave way more XP than anything else so it was basically brute forcing it.

• Options
    Ironically he just beat them 2 minutes ago lol

• Options
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Yeah, and it's still happening. Raichu and Gastly have Pokedex entries from older games (FireRed specifically I think?) that call out Indian elephants. The Legends Pokedex entry for Raichu mentions a Copperajah in the same context as the FireRed entry instead.

Oh that's weird. Yeah, I wonder if sometimes they just forget or something? Or maybe they don't think that hard when writing the things :P

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Ok, went back to town, because the counter stops at 99 tasks complete and I don't know whether you get XP past that.
    In any case, next star got, 90 points to the next one, so have to make two stars next trip.
    Opened up the second area, so shouldn't be too hard.

Also filled my bag with an absurd amount of rice cakes, bought some more item slots, cleaned out the pens (although why you can't release multiple Pokemon with the multiple select tool, and why I couldn't do it at all before my last expedition, idk), and got my apricorns and build-your-own Spiritomb kit.
    Also have a smokebomb recipe that I'm never going to use I guess.

Also the professor continues to be impressed that I'm not dead yet.

discrider on
  • Options
    Okay I'm finally doing the Elite Four in Pokemon Diamond... This Drifblim can literally suck the fattest part of my ass. Constantly raising his evasiveness and strength sap that heals him like 30% of his HP. I've used an X-Accuracy buff and a 100 accuracy attack and it's been like 40 turns so far and nothing.

• Options
    Ok, went back to town, because the counter stops at 99 tasks complete and I don't know whether you get XP past that.
    In any case, next star got, 90 points to the next one, so have to make two stars next trip.

Also filled my bag with an absurd amount of rice cakes, bought some more item slots, cleaned out the pens (although why you can't release multiple Pokemon with the multiple select tool, and why I couldn't do it at all before my last expedition, idk), and got my apricorns and build-your-own Spiritomb kit.

Theres a mutli release button. I use it all the time. Its at the bottom of the screen under the box. .

• Options
    edited February 2022

Theres a mutli release button. I use it all the time. Its at the bottom of the screen under the box. .

I just unlocked it.
    I tried multi-selecting and then releasing last time I was in town (or maybe the time before), but that didn't work.
    The fieldskeeper informed me of and enabled the multi-release button during this visit.

(Also unsure why there's a rectangular multi-select but the multi-release doesn't use it.
    Aside it forces people to deliberately consider and then accidentally release their alpha Wrumples)

discrider on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Okay I'm finally doing the Elite Four in Pokemon Diamond... This Drifblim can literally suck the fattest part of my ass. Constantly raising his evasiveness and strength sap that heals him like 30% of his HP. I've used an X-Accuracy buff and a 100 accuracy attack and it's been like 40 turns so far and nothing.

A couple things to try there: Shock Wave (which IIRC is a TM? I played OG Diamond but not the remakes) cannot miss, and is super effective. Aerial Ace is more common and also cannot miss, but obviously isn't super effective. Or you could just inflict Toxic poison and let it bleed to death.

I'm pretty sure I would always 1-2 shot it with a Crunch, since regardless of its high HP its defenses kinda suck.

• Options
    Terrendos wrote: »

A couple things to try there: Shock Wave (which IIRC is a TM? I played OG Diamond but not the remakes) cannot miss, and is super effective. Aerial Ace is more common and also cannot miss, but obviously isn't super effective. Or you could just inflict Toxic poison and let it bleed to death.

I'm pretty sure I would always 1-2 shot it with a Crunch, since regardless of its high HP its defenses kinda suck.

The effects of No Guard, Lock-On, Mind Reader, and Telekinesis will also cause moves to bypass accuracy checks.

Also using Thunder during a rainstorm

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    My kid just caught a shiny Feebas on my Poke Go account

Also it looks like the time warps don't start until you hit the second area in Arceus.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Toxic + Recover is generally the solution to this kind of problem. Eventually Toxic will build up so much damage that it one-shots them through whatever healing they have. I personally used Vespiquen but there are probably a bunch of options.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    I got a Zoroark swarm and got a shiny .

Its still there.

Dare I tempt fate?

Also water swarms suck.

• Options
    Yeah my team just didn't have a good counter to him. I was able to finally get him with my Gengar with Thunderstorm but it was a chore. Ended up losing on the final pokemon of the champion. He was in yellow HP too. Sigh.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I might be addicted to research. sg9dh24iwtcm.jpg

• Options
    That's a lotta pokeballs

Edcrab's Exigency RPG