Options

We have [movie] sign!

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I am never going to watch Free Guy (I probably will) because he gets to experience a joy I will never know

how it feels to pick up a health pack

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    You can always have someone stash a whole roast chicken in a crate for you to find.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    In a crate? Back in my day, we kept our roast chickens bricked up in the wall and we liked it that way

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited February 2022

Perfect timing for this/boutique label discussion: Arrow just announced its May releases

Including One-Armed Boxer https://www.arrowvideo.com/blu-ray/one-armed-boxer/13675347.html
    When former Shaw Brothers executive Raymond Chow founded rival studio Golden Harvest in 1970, he quickly teamed up with “Jimmy” Wang Yu – Hong Kong’s first kung fu superstar and formerly Shaw’s biggest box office draw. Bringing over his peerless talent for taking on all foes with one hand tied behind his back, Wang wrote, directed and played the title role in one of his most unmissable kickass classics. From the legendary star of One-Armed Swordsman and The Chinese Boxer comes… One-Armed Boxer!

Yu Tian Long (Wang) is the best fighter to come out of his local martial arts school, but when he crosses the ruthless leader of a local crime syndicate, the big boss’ brutal bevy of deadly killers make mincemeat out of the school and everyone inside. Now the only survivor of the massacre, and short of one appendage, Yu is gifted a powerful elixir that promises to give him the strength to take swift revenge on the army of assassins, each representing the most lethal forms of fighting from across the Eastern hemisphere.

Proving once and for all that you only need five fingers of death to get the job done, Wang would later reprise his role in the infamous sequel Master of the Flying Guillotine, but it’s the dementedly inventive original where he’s arguably at the height of his powers.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Watched Free Guy and surprisingly good? Some good swipes at capitalism and game industry in particular. Draws some good critiques of online behavior. Some really funny moments.

I have no idea who any of the streamer cameos were, but I'm guessing some audience found that to be cool?

I recognized jacksepticeye and that's it.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Watched Free Guy and surprisingly good? Some good swipes at capitalism and game industry in particular. Draws some good critiques of online behavior. Some really funny moments.

I have no idea who any of the streamer cameos were, but I'm guessing some audience found that to be cool?

I recognized exactly one of them, and was entirely ready to believe that they were all made up otherwise. So I would definitely guess that was a really fun thing for a particular portion of the audience.

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I saw Free Guy in a theater with a lot of teens and the most excitement in the film was over the
    Fortnite hammer weapon

Should I spoiler that? No idea but I'll err on the safe side

Chall on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Ninja has a cameo so that automatically voids any positives that movie has.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Ninja has a cameo so that automatically voids any positives that movie has.

Who's that?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    An extremely popular streamer who behaves the way you'd expect an ultra famous person in their early 20s to.

Also said the gamer word on stream once or twice.

• Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    I'll always love seeing Ninja try to rally an NYC New Years' crowd to do a Fortnite dance with absolutely no success whatsoever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a35b1TfTtA

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    For a second I kind of wondered if that streamer stuff hit it's intended audience, but then I immediately remembered that the biggest demographic for YouTubers is basically children

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Whenever I am reminded of the existence of Ninja it makes me mad that someone is so self-important that they think they can claim the username "Ninja" for themselves.

Not even "BlueNinja" or anything, just "Ninja"! It's absurd!

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    plus the asshole isn't even a real ninja

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

Unforgiveable.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

tbf he'd be a pretty poor ninja if he just told you

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited February 2022

More like a nonja. Terrible what passes for a ninja these days.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Just finished Titane.

Quite the movie, that. I don't think I liked it quite as much as I did Raw, but I reckon I'm going to be sitting and thinking on it for a while.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    watched the new scream. Same old scream, so whether thats your thing or not is how much you should watch it

Also
    the height and build of ghostface being completely different to both the killers did make me chuckle.

Prohass on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »

Check out some of the Munich clips in the comments. :o

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

Obviously time makes a huge difference, but having watched this scene in the original West Side Story this shot is just so much more everything.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I’m a sucker for shots that do that whole handheld shot, pass to a crane, back to a handheld, to a 180 turn thing. It just tickles that spot in my brain that says “That looks fucking cool. But wait, that shouldn’t be possible!”

Combined with the incredible pressure of SO MUCH choreography on a single take and that shot is just an intense bit of craft.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    I think this Spielberg kid might be good at
    SNL-Diesel-in-AMC-Theaters-sketch-custom.jpg?q=50&fit=contain&w=943&h=472&dpr=1.5

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I’m bored and high so I’m watching Collision Course, the 1980’s smash hit starring Pat Morita and Jay Leno that I’m sure isn’t going to be outdated or racist at all.

• Options

This is also a good time to point out that West Side Story (and also Drive My Car) will both be on HBO Max as of Wednesday

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I think it's fun and cool how all that Tweet says is, "This was really hard and it's impressive and looks good" (no qualifiers on it being done BETTER than anything else, mind), and the responses are filled with "Whatever, not as cool as ____"

Love 2 exist in the modern era

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I think it's fun and cool how all that Tweet says is, "This was really hard and it's impressive and looks good" (no qualifiers on it being done BETTER than anything else, mind), and the responses are filled with "Whatever, not as cool as ____"

Is that better or worse than telling someone how tired you are and then they immediately try to one-up you by explaining how they are, in fact, tireder than you?

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Is that better or worse than telling someone how tired you are and then they immediately try to one-up you by explaining how they are, in fact, tireder than you?

Excuse me, but no man woman or child has ever been or will ever be as tired as I am right now. My tirededness will reverberate through space and time and crush my descendants with aftershocks of fatigue.

• Options
    Oh yeah also Spielberg's making a new Bullitt film (not a remake) https://deadline.com/2022/02/steven-spielbert-bullitt-at-warner-bros-and-amblin-1234960542/

which

yes please yes

• Options
    Oh hey, I was thinking about really cool shots from movies that have stuck in my brain, and I remembered this one from Terminator 2. I don’t know if I’ve mentioned it before, but it’s pretty amazing. It’s actually a deleted scene, but it’s one of my all time favorite buckwild filmmaking trick shots:

https://youtu.be/wrDo7wVXrBQ

The relevant bit starts about two minutes in. The mirror scene. Basically the shot is from behind, with Linda Hamilton drilling into Arnold’s robot skull. You see the reverse of the shot in the mirror (so you can see Arnold’s face, and he’s talking her through the process. But you also clearly see Linda Hamilton in the mirror and the foreground.). But then the camera pans in close to them and you and you actually see Linda opening Arnold’s skull. You see a big cavity, and she pulls out his CPU. But… how? It’s gotta be a fake head she’s reaching into, but you see Arnold talking in the mirror. CGI was not NEARLY good enough to make it this convincing at the time.

This shot boggled my mind for a long time (I was assuming it was a weird perspective trick or something, shot with an insanely long lens) until I finally came across some other video explaining how it was done. I’ll toss in it a spoiler if you want to try to figure it out first.
    It’s not a mirror. Linda Hamilton is in the foreground with a dummy Arnold head. Behind the glass in the background is the real Arnold, along with Linda Hamilton’s god damn twin sister Leslie mimicking Linda’s movements.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Oh hey, I was thinking about really cool shots from movies that have stuck in my brain, and I remembered this one from Terminator 2. I don’t know if I’ve mentioned it before, but it’s pretty amazing. It’s actually a deleted scene, but it’s one of my all time favorite buckwild filmmaking trick shots:

The relevant bit starts about two minutes in. The mirror scene. Basically the shot is from behind, with Linda Hamilton drilling into Arnold’s robot skull. You see the reverse of the shot in the mirror (so you can see Arnold’s face, and he’s talking her through the process. But you also clearly see Linda Hamilton in the mirror and the foreground.). But then the camera pans in close to them and you and you actually see Linda opening Arnold’s skull. You see a big cavity, and she pulls out his CPU. But… how? It’s gotta be a fake head she’s reaching into, but you see Arnold talking in the mirror. CGI was not NEARLY good enough to make it this convincing at the time.

This shot boggled my mind for a long time (I was assuming it was a weird perspective trick or something, shot with an insanely long lens) until I finally came across some other video explaining how it was done. I’ll toss in it a spoiler if you want to try to figure it out first.
    It’s not a mirror. Linda Hamilton is in the foreground with a dummy Arnold head. Behind the glass in the background is the real Arnold, along with Linda Hamilton’s god damn twin sister Leslie mimicking Linda’s movements.

That Jimmy Cameron is good at the movies.

• Options
    He should keep at it!

Or fuck off and explore the ocean.

Wherever life takes him, really.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Zonugal wrote: »

Sometimes…

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    My favorite James Cameron story is that he pitched Aliens by writing "Alien" on a white board, silently waited a beat before adding "s" to it, and waited another beat to draw lines through the "s" to make it a dollar sign.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    My favorite James Cameron story is that he pitched Aliens by writing "Alien" on a white board, silently waited a beat before adding "s" to it, and waited another beat to draw lines through the "s" to make it a dollar sign.
    Zonugal wrote: »

• Options
    Jimmy Dean Cameron treats every movie he makes like it is the greatest movie of all time and has been right several times!

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    He's still not tricking me into thinking Avatar is any good though.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Yeah I don't think anything about the already-confirmed Avatars 2 through 5 will change my mind on that franchise

If he wants to make an Alien though! I'd rather him do that than Ridley

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I am going to be annoyed if Avatar gets a sequel.

This discussion has been closed.